Ross Mullan on stealing a baby in Season 4, and what the White Walkers really want
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Flicks and the City recently caught up with Game of Thrones’ resident White Walker, Ross Mullan, at Collectormania. Mullan portrayed the White Walker who gave Samwell Tarly quite a scare at the end of Season 2, but was ultimately shattered by dragonglass in Season 3. However, Mullan was invited back for Season 4, given a makeover, and got to carry Craster’s final son deep into the North, delivering him onto an icy altar.

Mullan discusses his work on Season 4, what the White Walkers really want, and what he would like to see from the White Walkers in Season 5 and beyond.

Talking points:

• His role in Season 4
  • Filming in Belfast
  • His reaction to the Season 4 script, and the Night’s King
  • The fan reaction to Oathkeeper’s final sequence
  • Stealing babies
  • What he would like to see from the White Walkers in the future
  • The White Walkers’ end game
  • Filming Sam vs. the White Walker
  • His reaction to Joffrey’s death
  • He would like to do battle in Season 5

1. Patchy Face
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Hodor and the Night King

I see that Art Parkinson and Charles Dance are in the upcoming Dracula Untold story coming out this fall. More GoT alumni.

2. Salwa
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Did he just call Daenerys “Khaleesi”? I thought that was just a joke about show watchers.

3. Rafael
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Best Joff scene
    “They say Stannis never smiles. I’ll give him a red smile.”

I laughed my ass off :D

4. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I was surprised to discover recently that he was the voice of Nev. For those fortunate enough to never have heard of him, Nev was a blue teddy bear with a half-chewed ear who had frequent hijinks involving slapstick, cream pies and other typical kids fare. Suffice to say that White Walkers are much better parts for him to play.

5. JP Dayne
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I don’t have the 11 minutes to watch the whole thing, WC is on. Does he say anything relevant?

6. Winnie
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for posting this. The White Walker reveal was one of the highlights of the season for me. Great way to help kick that plot line into high gear.

7. Darkstar
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Wait….what? I thought that Ian Whyte portrayed the White Walkers and Season 2 Gregor Clegane and the Giants.

8. Udi
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

If you like House Stark motto ‘WINTER IS COMING’ or other quotes or mottoes from ‘Game of Thrones’ get it in a handmade speech bubble to hang on your wall

9. manashima
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 12:10 am | Permalink

I like how he confirms basically the Nights King existence and that the HBO recap mentioning of the Nights King that was taken down, is real.

Weird that D&D would outright tell him that hes bringing it to the Nights King, they very well could have made it vague to him.

10. jentario
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Hardhome please and thank you, D&D.

11. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 5:37 am | Permalink

He seems a nice person. Is he Canadian or is he Northern Irish who spent some time in Canada as a boy? I’ve managed to catch up on the books now and realise what the kerfuffle during season 4 was about the Night King reveal as the books have not reached that stage. Unfortunately, it looks like the show will outpace the show now because of Mr Martin’s slow pace of writing but I don’t think posting mean comments on his blog – which some people apparently have – is the right thing to do.

12. Shock Me
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

I like how he looks at the camera and says “Don’t steal babies!”

13. Lady Cin Baelish
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Man… I’m such an Unsullied. I really thought the White Walkers were all digitally made. *facepalm*

14. Sunfyre
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 9:54 am | Permalink

jentario,

This. It could be legitimately scary, like something out of an epic horror film.

15. Swordpen
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Lady Cin Baelish:

Hey, it just means the effects are good! :)

16. queenofthorns
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Please please please stop the “post” ads they are revolting and make me want to stop reading the site forever.

17. Dame of Mercia
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 11:54 am | Permalink

queenofthorns:

If you are referring to the silly pop-up votes in regard to do I like this character better than that character, I 100% concur with you.

18. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 30, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Dame of Mercia:
    He seems a nice person.Is he Canadian or is he Northern Irish who spent some time in Canada as a boy?I’ve managed to catch up on the books now and realise what the kerfuffle during season 4 was about the Night King reveal as the books have not reached that stage.Unfortunately, it looks like the show will outpace the show now because of Mr Martin’s slow pace of writing but I don’t think posting mean comments on his blog – which some people apparently have – is the right thing to do.

I find that fortunate. I’m done waiting for GRRM, and am happy that the show may get us to the end first.

19. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

Is he Canadian or is he Northern Irish who spent some time in Canada as a boy?

He could be from Nova Scotia. I knew a priest that came from there and he had a little bit of a Irish lilt with Canadian overtones. Then again, he could be originally from Ireland and has just worked very hard to overcome the accent so that it still peeks through occasionally.

20. BringBackBenjen
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 10:50 am | Permalink

I have to say Ross Mullan and Joseph Mawle, the actor who played Benjen Stark, do look a bit alike. They could play siblings. Or maybe Benjen is…