Those months three years ago were glorious. We were fully immersed in the first ever season of Game of Thrones and watched it until the bitter end, still chomping at the bit for more. With the tight production schedule, though, everything concerning season two (and even beyond) had been set in motion by then as well.
- The finale of Season 1 set a ratings record with 3 million viewers for the finale. Far from the current 7 million, but a great number for a debut season of a show. The season as a whole was summarized and reviewed by Winter thusly.
- Season 2 auditions began in early May in London. GRRM later reported he has seen video audition for a number of roles, including Melisandre, Davos, Brienne, Asha, Margaery, Ygritte, Xaro Xhoan Daxos, and Dolorous Edd, characters so very familiar to the viewers today. We later got our hands on casting breakdowns for Brienne and Melisandre. GRRM dished out tidbits on casting a couple of times.
- The one piece of actual casting that we got in that period was … Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell!
- The team was scouting additional locations in several countries, many of which were actually picked, for S2 or later. Croatia was strongly rumoured as a new location, which eventually proved substantiated. In Northern Ireland, Ballintoy Harbour was rumoured as a location, and later picked as the port of Theon’s arrival on the Iron Islands.
- Season 2 filming was announced to start on July 25th. David Benioff and Dan Weiss discussed writing and plotting S2 on a couple of occasions.
- WinterPhil conducted this exclusive interview with the awsome Bryan Cogman, while Fire and Blood talked to John Bradley.