Game of Owns: The Season of Owns
By WiC Staff on in Podcast.

Episode 228 – The Season of Owns

iTunes | Download | RSS

Armed with an army of bloodthirsty owns, your four hosts return in celebratory spirits to close the book on Game of Thrones season 4.

Discussion Topics

It’s not working?

2. The Real Slim Hodor
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:03 am | Permalink

Hodor….5 stars for the month and season

3. House Mormont
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Does this mean you’ll have to read A feast for crows in the season 5 off season? That’ll be a slow 10 months

4. Randa
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Yes, 150 comments…but 53 were mine. I…did not understand the rules.

And Kate, I’ma need you to send me that Brienne/Mass Effect meme.

I still cry for CGI dragons.

5. Kate
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Randa,

Ask and ye shall receive: http://i.imgur.com/bNBVREX.jpg

6. King Stannis
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Kate,

You’re awesome Kate!!

7. Duval
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:35 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

It’s only 9 months now… If only I could get pregnant to have something to keep me busy.

8. Deathdreams
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I’ll give a pre-own to Chet’s boils for making Chet such a vile asshole.

9. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

When will you 4 be starting your book 3 Read through. Im currently re-reading the books and im half way through book 1. I want to be on book 3 when you start the read through

10. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I’m not ALWAYS talking about how awesome Kate is. Just sometimes.

Like now. Kate Welch is the FUCKING BEST!

Actually, I think Kate Welch should be cast as all the Sand Snakes, ala Eddie Murphy in most of his movies. That would be amazing.

11. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

HAHA should of listened to the whole episode before posting

12. Zack Luye
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

You may be able to keep up with us (ish), with books 1-2 finished, could theoretically burn through a month of older book stuff in one long drive ~~ it’s going to be a long process for us.

We are beyondddd jazzzzzzed to be starting ASoS, it’s going to be an awesome on-season.

13. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

–Re: Tywin giving Ice to Joffrey: I didn’t see it as him saying “good job”. I saw it as a gesture to advertise that House Lannister had fully defeated House Stark. If Tommen had already ascended the Throne, Tywin would have given the sword to him instead. It’s no different than the Iron Throne. It’s a symbol of the power of the king advertising all of the people that had been vanquished and a warning to others to not challenge the king’s power.

–Re: Baelish only started the dominoes, but the pattern of dominoes was set by the Lannisters. Or maybe this metaphor works better. The Lannisters were like a huge block of marble with lots of cracks in it. The block was fine until Baelish came along and hit the block at exactly the right spot and then it began to fall apart.

–Re: Tommen and Myrcella are the only true innocents in that family but remember innocence does not guarantee success in Westeros and, in fact, often dooms them. I don’t know what’s going to happen to them but I wouldn’t get too attached.

My own for the Season? Orson/GRRM/D&D, we’re all just beetles in their world

I want to support the approval of Kate…she routinely contributes interesting and significant commentary that has taken the show to a new level. But that thing she said about being into animals…..okaaaaayyyyy. ;)

14. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I will say that despite starting the Kate Welch fan club, I don’t believe Kate’s assessment that Tywin is implicitly patting Joffrey on the back is exactly right. I share Miss D. Ranged’s perspective about what is both explicit and implicit about Tywin’s sword-melting (and gift-giving).

IMO, Tywin certainly does not credit Joffrey with the destruction of the Starks – nor does he necessaily think that the war with the Starks, and their removal from power in the North, is an ideal state of affairs. As Cersei said to Joffrey in season 1, the North cannot be governed from King’s Landing, and the Starks are the best able to maintain a North that is loyal to the realm. In my view, Tywin likely finds the Boltons to be a poor substitute to the Starks in terms of maintaining Northern stability and allegiance to the throne. They do not have the pedigree of the Starks, nor do they inspire the same level of loyalty. I imagine this will come into play in the subsequent seasons. In Tywin’s mind, it would have been far better to spare Ned Stark’s life (once he had confessed and pledged allegiance to the throne), trade him for Jaime once Tyrion was free, and then negotiate with Robb and Catelyn Stark to end the war. Instead he got a bloody war, and an uncertain North. Far more uncertain than if the Starks got Ned back, and returned as Wardens of the North themselves.

But what’s done is done. Tywin had to live with Joffrey’s actions, and act accordingly. And so he destroyed House Stark, and elevated the power and glory of House Lannister. Turning Ice into Lannister swords for Joffrey and Jaime simply symbolizes the destruction of House Stark, and the absorption of their former power into the Lannister sphere. And it says to other Houses: defy us, and die. First the Castameres and now the Starks.

But if Tywin could turn back time, my guess is that he would prefer to rule a Westeros that included a North under Stark rule, as wardens. We have not heard Tywin’s assessment of the Boltons in the TV show, but he’s a smart man and is likely aware of their uncertain hold on such a large, wild and difficult-to-govern North. Just like the United States would probably prefer a President of Afghanistan with a much broader appeal across the country than Hamid Karzai. As it stands, he’s mostly only popular with the Pashtuns – one ethnic group among many.

I mean, who in the North likes (or feels loyal to) House Bolton except for House Bolton? The Karstarks might come closest, but still…

Joffrey isn’t being rewarded. Tywin’s just showing off the power of the Lannisters to the world. The King now has a Lannister sword made from the sword of Ned Stark. BOOM. Don’t mess with House Lannister. That’s the whole of it, I would say.

15. Ser Sandor of house Clegane
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 12:29 am | Permalink

The battle of lady breann of tarth and ser Sandor Clegane was epic 5 stars the great hound bested by a woman never though I’d see it

16. Grey Ghost
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thank youuu~ it’s like a podcast desert out there, the part timers.

For weeks and months I’ve been meaning to bore you about me and my life and why this podcast has been so important to me through season 4. But I can’t be bothered lol. Just pls know that I love you guys and the funs you have on here. Especially Kate (I’ve been picking wildflowers for her all morning). ;) I’m not a ‘hopeful young man’, lol, just a cynical old dragon. But yeah she’s awesome (and crazy) and I’m v.happy she decided to stick around.

Still pissed off with myself for not liking season 4, even though I loved it. What!? It’s confusing. I’m rewatching the entire series with a friend, whilst revelling in a FeastDance orgy with myself. Which I guess I shall be doing until the windy winter arrives…

Is nice to go back and relive the prologue from my favourite book of the series :) I thought I knew what it was, but I didn’t. With S4E9 still fresh in my mind, it was a pleasure. I’m looking forward to your reactions muchly.

The day was grey and bitter cold…

17. Annara Snow
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

A Feast of Crows and A Dance of the Dragons, both.

18. Annara Snow
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Zack Luye:
    Jon Blackfyre,

Oh gods, yes. ASOS is the best.

19. Manuel Paredes
    Posted July 4, 2014 at 5:32 am | Permalink

Duval,

Talking from expetience:

You’ll miss season 5, but your child will love the opening music for season 6 on.