HBO confirms Seville as filming location for Game of Thrones season five
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming, News.

Alcazar of SevilleAfter much speculation and some not-quite-official confirmation this week, HBO confirmed today in an official press release that Game of Thrones will be filming season five in the province of Seville.

HBO notes that details on the specific locations will be announced closer to the time of production, alluding to “several natural locations.” The filming is set to take place later in the year, and will be done in full collaboration with the Andalusian Film Commission.

Ours is the Fury: With Seville officially confirmed, this makes the Alcázar of Seville all but guaranteed to be the choice for the royal home of the Martells next season. Now I’m just curious about the other locations they may be utilizing in the province as well.

1. loco73
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Hodor! Hodor! Hodor! Hodor!

2. loco73
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Well and THE NORTH REMEMBERS! Stannis! Winter-Is-Coming! Fuck the King! Fuck water! …and all that other good stuff!

3. loco73
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

And by the way, Seville is a freaking beautiful city…lots of good memories from there! Great choice for a filming location!!!!

4. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks Ours is the Fury! Though you forgot to include a link to the HBO press release.

5. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I’m not going to link you to my email inbox.

6. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    ArgonathofBraavos,

I’m not going to link you to my email inbox.

Understood. :-) But usually, press releases are also posted online (in addition to being sent to the press via email). Though that may not be the case here…

7. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Helpful tip for pronunciation as Seville has a tricky one.

The location is pronounced Se-bi-ya

8. jentario
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

So you think they’ll film more than just the Water Gardens there? Maybe a river to stand in for the Rhoyne?

9. Canis Dirus
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Maybe for you sophisticated folk. Suh-vill will do just fine for me.

10. 22
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink
  11. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

So…uh…in order to film there they need actors to be there too…

…any word on any casting? :)

12. House Threepwood
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I presume this is going to be the Water Gardens?So cool.I hope they would shoot in my country some day,i would love it ,if the Game of Thrones filming crew would pay a visit to Greece.There is this castle called Monemvasia ,that would make a killer Casterly Rock ,if the story takes us there that is..Oh well,one can only hope..

13. Remin
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

The Plaza de Toros de la Real Maestranza in Sevilla as The Fighting Pits of Meereen.

14. Esti
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t Dorne supposed to be Africa? Omg such a Spanish-washing. I feel ashamed HBO, you are so xenophobic.

15. Strider
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

jentario:

You think they’ll consolidate Tyrion’s travels filming with Dorne?
    That’s quite good actually budget wise.

Maybe someone very familiar with Seville area can speculate about that. See if we are getting that voyage.

16. LordVega
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Esti,

Jumping right into conclusions huh?

Grrm specifically mentioned Spain being one of his main inspirations for Dorne. Specifically southern Spain with its Moorish influences.

17. Wonks Anonymous
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

LordVega:
    Esti,

Jumping right into conclusions huh?

I suspect he was being sarcastic, judging by his “Spanish-washing” neologism.

18. Sunfyre
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

LordVega,

Read it again. The poster was obviously joking.

19. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Esti:

I’d like to know what Spanish-washing is, if Penelope Cruz is involved, and if so, if I can be involved as well.

20. Alfador
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

OK so this made me laugh and everyone in my office looked at me… -_-

21. khalstark
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

“Andal”-usian Film Commission… I chuckled on that.

22. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Alfador,

thanks!

23. Amanda M
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

This is such exciting news!!! I lived in Sevilla for 6 months in college, and it is such a gorgeous city… And the Alcázar is so beautiful! I’m excited to be able to say that I’ve “been to Dorne” :P

(And as for the pronunciation question, it IS pronounced “suh-ville” when you are speaking English (and spelling it “Seville”) :) Only Se-bi-ya if you’re spelling it “Sevilla” :)

24. Granada
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

#Robbed

25. Chickenduck
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Great choice. Lot of old cowboy movies were shot in Andalucia too, some great natural landscapes as well as architecture.

26. Chickenduck
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Amanda M:

Correct – the traditional English spelling and pronunciation is different to the Spanish spelling and pronunciation (see Paris, Munich/München, Warsaw/Warszawa and Vienna/Wien and a bunch of other European cities for further details).

Oddly enough, there’s also a town near Melbourne, Australia called Seville, but there they pronounce it SEV-el (rhymes with “level”). No idea why.

27. David
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Well… I can´t believe I am the first that can start a post like this: I live in Seville.

Maybe, this could be a nice clue of what HBO have found here: try looking for “Jardines de Mercurio Alcazar Sevilla” in Google…

What we know by now is that Osuna (a small town near here) is a place choosen as new location too. Newspappers talk about Plaza de toros de Osuna (try google again) so, I bet this could be The Fighting Pits of Meereen.

…sorry about my horrible English…

28. Blind Beth
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

22:
    http://blog.andalucia.com/?p=14234 Osuna, arena

Daznak’s pit??? :-D

29. Jenny del Castillo
    Posted July 4, 2014 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

About the casting, the 900 permanent jobs are already covered (Fresco Film Productions is the one in charge of the film production: http://www.frescofilm.com/) and there´s a casting call right now for the 5.000 temporary jobs :)

Although the company making the casting is not Fresco Film, is Modexpor, but Fresco Film is helping them with the casting.

All you have to do is send an email to [email protected] with your contact details, no photos needed. Here´s their Facebook post (in Spanish) about the casting: https://www.facebook.com/Frescofilm/posts/10152121565131786

Maybe WIC could update this post with that info ;)