Interview Roundup: Moving past the books, the shortcomings of body doubles, and playing a badass
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Here are a few bits from recent interviews with the Game of Thrones cast, and a new sit down with George R.R. Martin for your Sunday reading/viewing pleasure.

A few characters reached the end of their already-written storylines in Season 4, and parts of Season 5 are expected to move beyond the A Song of Ice and Fire novels. In a new interview with News.Com.Au, Aidan Gillen says that not knowing where the story is going could be a good thing. “It’s an adventure everyone is on — the audience, the cast. Not knowing where it’s going, that’s good. People playing end games could work … but if you don’t know what the end game is, maybe you won’t play the obvious thing.”

The interview was to promote his new film, Calvary, and he admitted he had one regret about the film – his Petyr Baelish moustache. “I was in the middle of Game of Thrones so there was a look I couldn’t shed… The HBO people are very accommodating, but you’ve got to be on first call for them, which means having a bit of facial hair.”

Petyr Baelish without a moustache is kind of like Jon Snow with a tan. Kit Harington travelled to Cannes this year, but he had to be very careful where he stood. Kit told ShortList, “I can’t turn up to shoot with a tan. They shove so much mud on your face it doesn’t really matter anyway, but yeah, I have to stay pale.”

He also spoke about his use of a body double in Season 3, and why he’s planning on showing up in Croatia this year:

You needed a body double for a nude scene in Thrones, due to breaking your ankle. Were you worried he’d look out of shape?

The thing is, you have more of a hold over your character than you think. The painful part was watching someone running and walking for me. It’s a wide shot and no one will ever notice, but if I think about season three, it bothers me.

Did he have a funny run?

No, it’s just not you. It’s not your run. You feel like your character’s been taken away from you.

You mentioned how big the show is now. Do you notice that in your daily life?

Yeah, each season I’ve noticed it. This season’s been the biggest jump. It was the Red Wedding thing and the moment it blew up on social media. I think everyone was like, “Why’s everyone talking about this thing?”

Do you get annoyed that all your scenes are in Iceland while half the cast are sunning it up in Morocco or Croatia?

I’m going to Croatia this year. I’m going to do a set visit because I’m sick and tired of them coming back and saying, “Oh we just finished on set and jumped into the sea – it was great!”

Maisie Williams has been busy promoting her new film, Heatstroke. Many members of the press are drawing comparisons between Arya and her character in the film, Jo. In a new interview with Complex Maisie talks about getting to play the badass again, and how she feels about being considered a role model for young women.

“I think the word badass is thrown around quite a lot. Yeah it’s quite cool to play a strong female character again, but they are real people and I like that about them. They stand up for themselves.

I think it’s wonderful that people kind of look up to me and Arya, but that’s never really what I intended to be or do. It’s great that people like the decisions that I make and the decisions that Arya makes and that stuff is pretty amazing, but it is kind of a lot of pressure.”

If you’re a fan of Maisie, she also did a great new interview with Vanity Fair.

George R.R. Martin recently took a trip to Europe, and while in France he took the time to sit down with Le Mouv for an interview about his writing. Martin discusses historical fiction, the unpredictable nature of his writing, low-magic fantasy, realistic characters, if he knows the ending to his story, and more.

1. Madinga
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Hodoe

Can’t wait for the new season

2. Arkash
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I understand you Kit ! This year, you jump in the sea at the end of each day of shooting in Croatia to make up for the first 4 years you did not do it ! ^^

3. loco73
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Goddamn it George, you made me shit my pants again…

All joking aside, I actually liked the interview with George RR Martin. Among the better ones I’ve seen recently!

Wow and to see the amount of people who are now coming from meet him is astounding! When I met him at a book signing, almost 3 years ago, after Season One of GoT had already aired, and the second one was about to premiere, there were a lot of people then too, but not nearly as many…

I’m glad for him…no matter what some may think of him, I am happy George is getting his recognition and accolades.

After all there would be no “A Song Of Ice Fire” without him! And he is a helluva storyteller?!

4. Turncloak
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

If I were Kit I would film a vine of me jumping into the water each day and sending it to the entire cast :p

5. Dolorous Ned
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Ok, the GRRM interview is essentially the same he’s given a hundred times already, shame reporters don’t ask him more original questions… although to be fair most interviews aren’t meant for hardcore fans reading everything he utters

The way he says “the end is in sight now, two more books to go”, not sure if it sounds hopeful or if he’s trying to convince himself that’s the case. Yeah, I’m totally overanalyzing

6. Mormegil
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Having now watched the Quentyn audition video it seems a little odd to me.

For one it is far longer than these things usually seem to be and it seems odd to have Quentyn recount every little thing he has done up to that point not to mention the family history he gives.

It’s almost like it’s his first scene and he has to give the audience his entire backstory.

The scene is set after Dany turns him down though and just before he plans to steal a Dragon which really doesn’t make much sense as a first scene.

7. Firespider
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Not understanding these questions is frustrating. Honestly, you gave the French subtitles but not Americans?

8. Firespider
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Mormegil,

Where is the Quentyn audition video at please?

9. H. Stark
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Firespider,

Now we need Arianne. :)

10. chamush
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Its funny how GRRM mentioned throwing lightning from hands to be an absurd magic idea. Makes me more certain that show runners messed up BIG TIME with those stupid fireballs in ep 10!

They always have the cast and directors praising them for brilliant writing!!! but who should call them for screw ups?

11. outdoorcats
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

It’s clearly fake. Either it’s a fan assuming there will be a Quentyn sending in his own fan-made audition tape using material from the books, or a hoax. Among the many obvious problems with it are the fact that he literally narrates not only Quentyn’s entire journey but also all of his prior interactions with Daenerys in what would amount to a completely unnecessary, laughably bad scene straight out of MST3K.

I thought this was a better GRRM interview than usual – he seemed way more energized and enthusiastic than he usually does. Is it just me?

12. R'hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

chamush,

They were throwing fire bombs. Look closely you can see they aren’t coming from Leaf’s hands

13. RandomSand
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

Extremely weird audition (script-wise). Those Doran lines make no sense at all said by Quentyn, and such a LONG audition, and it’s kind of like “Check out what you missed on quentyns adventures!”. I was really hoping they gave Trystane his role. Oh and if we have quentyn, i HIGHLY doubt we will not get Arienne, I mean, quentyn is such a “useless” character compared to her.
    On a sidenote, i just cringed when he started speaking, the accent, as well as the acting I must say, are quite bad, fortunately it’s just an audition. Still, I find this one to be very, very weird.

14. clk
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

Wow so cool! Hope it is true, Quentyn is one of my favourite characters and it seems they are including everything! (The Windblows, Astapor sack, Dany’s marriage and dissapearance, Quentyn’s travel buddies, etc)! This is so awesome!!!

15. Patchy Face
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

clk,

Yeah – dream on. This guy just loaded his own “audition” in hopes that he would garner some attention. I seriously doubt Quentyn will be cast at all.

16. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Hmmm, the Quentyn thing feels like an unsolicited audition with dialogue pulled together from the book’s plot. I don’t think they’re casting Quentyn this year.

17. clk
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face,

Yes, thinking better agree with you, this audition doesn’t seem acuratte, but I really hope they include Quentyn.If Trystane gets Quentyn place (which seems a good choice if they make ShowQuentyn a younger Doran son to replace BookTrysyane, just mentioning him), I hope that instead Gerris, Nymeria Sand travel with him, with Ellaria replacing BookNymeria role in King’s Landing.

18. jentario
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

I think that’s a fan script

19. RandomSand
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

I agree 100%. As I commented earlier, everything about this audition seems weird.

20. outdoorcats
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

RandomSand,

WiC should do a story about it…under ‘GoT laughs.’

21. H. Stark
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Firespider asked for the audition and I linked it. Sorry.

We need official casting news. :)

22. Patchy Face
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

H. Stark:
    Firespider asked for the audition and I linked it. Sorry.

We need official casting news. :)

This!

Hoping this week some leaks will spring as Comic con is coming right up.

23. Phil
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

It doesn’t make any sense NOT to cast Quentyn he’s not a main character. He goes to Dany, gets turned down, tries to steal the dragons, and dies. Plus they need material for Dany in season 5, and they’ve said that there’s gonna be an extended Trystane/Myrcella romance plot

24. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

How can he write a book and not know what’s going to happen to the secondary characters? George RR Martin like every good author includes a lot of foreshadowing and if he has no idea where 5/6/7 POV characters are going to go then he can’t write it properly

I like what he says about exploring the issues of the effects of power on Dany, I love big character exploration of character development and he did that so well in ADWD

Also shhhhhhhhhh about Tolkien he’s like an obsessed ex girlfriend in every interview

25. Jamie's festering hand
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

I thought it was a very good audition

26. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

While the audition was overly long and the writing felt like one big recap, it certainly seemed like a legit audition, even right down to the guy reading Gerris’ lines. Plus, there were more allusions to the show than books, IMO. I actually think this is legit. I just hope the writing for the scene is altered in the show.

27. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Also can someone explain to me how Lord of the Rings is low magic? The main characters; the fellowship
    1) four hobbits, a magical race
    2) an elf, a magical race
    3) a dwarf, a magical race
    4) Aragon, I can’t remember what his race is called but they have supernatural long life so, magical
    5) Gandalf, a fucking demigod wizard

In the first book alone frodo carries round a magical ring and gets attacked by magical undead nazgul and goes into an enchanted forest with magical trees and then goes around with the magical Tom Barbadil while Gandalf fights another wizard with magic and then gets rescued by a magical giant talking eagle, then the frodo gets stabbed by a magical morgul blade and a magical elf river is summoned and then frodo is saved by elven magic

And that’s before magical eye towers and the things the nazgul fly on and the giant spiders and the ents and the orks and goblins and the cave trolls and the belrog and the magical pool of foresight Galadriel has and Mimas morgul and Gollum and the army of undead in the mountains and so on and so forth

28. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

29. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Ok my first comment didn’t post; in summary, I liked his answer about exploring character development with Cersei and Dany, I mean he wasn’t good at it with Cersei but the way he wrote Dany and Reek in ADWD was exceptional

But he still doesn’t know the fates of secondary characters? How can he write their TWOW chapters if he can’t foreshadow? GRRM loves foreshadowing. Did he write ADWD without knowing what happens to secondary characters in TWOW? Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he does go in blind

30. Me
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

What do you mean? Has he already been cast?

31. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

They’ve got nothing on Tom Barbadil’s songs though, glad that one got cut in adaptation

32. jentario
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

It’s so not legit that I could cry (regardless of whether Quentyn makes it, the writing here is fan writing for sure).

Wanna bet, honey?

33. RadoLukacs
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

I think he is talking only about some secondary characters, he surely knows what happens to Loras Tyrell, for example, and secondary characters that are similarly important. George R. R. Martin said after an Arianne reading from The Winds of Winter that he knows what happens to Arianne, but doesn’t know what will happen to Feathers – a minor character introduced in The Winds of Winter. I think we can think about what he says concerning the fates of secondary characters like this.

34. jentario
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Me,

He is probably either already cast or (more likely IMO) he was cut. I am still positive that show-Trystane will assume his role and travel to Meereem in the second half of the season.

35. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

RadoLukacs,

Ohhh ok that’s ok then, I don’t even remember who Feathers is. ‘Secondary’ made me panic, since there’s 20 POVs and most are secondary characters, and some like Areo or Aeron are only tertiary characters

36. RadoLukacs
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Well, depends on everyone’s perception on who are secondary characters, then. I think almost all of the POVs are primary, secondary are for example Varys, Olenna and their like and tertiary – well, let’s say Yurkhaz zo Yunzak. :D

37. outdoorcats
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Don’t say that out loud in Philly. ;)

38. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I won’t bet, but I do think it is legit. The scene was overwrought, but there were parts that felt very much D&D’s style. Bringing up previous events and specific quotes to keep it fresh in people’s minds. That sort of thing.

39. Nezzer
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

WHERE ARE MY CASTING NEWS?!! HBO has never taken this long to reveal the first casting choice.

40. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

outdoorcats,

It really could have stood for any number of Eagles.

1. Deus Ex Eagles(Lord Of The Rings)
    2. Philadelphia Eagles
    3. The band

I actually love the majestic birds themselves.

41. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Nezzer,

I think they are going to save it for one big comic-con reveal, like season 3. The amount of new characters should be close to season 3 levels, and much higher than season 4.

42. House Mormont
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

RadoLukacs,

Yes I agree that it is very subjective and open to interpretation, but it’s pretty clear GRRM writes Jon and Dany as main characters and say Brienne and Samwell as important characters, and others like Areo Hotah as barely characters. Of course it gets harder when you get to none POVs but luckily I wasn’t talking about them ;)

43. Annara Snow
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

clk:
    Patchy Face,

44. Turncloak
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

H. Stark,

This is the one audition I hope is fake. Quentyn should not be having a 6 minute scene -_-

45. jentario
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Almighty retcons are coming!
    Seriously though, I hope they’ll at least include Arianne (though at this point I have some serious doubts). The line would somewhat make sense in that context if by “son” Tyrion meant “child” which is fine by me.

46. Turncloak
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

The last auditions we’ve seems had actual credited actors (The woman who auditioned for Obara was in lost). Unless the person in the audition is an actor I’m going to side with this Quentyn audition being fake. This is the perfect opportunity to condense Quentys role by combining his character with Trystan. I just don’t see Quentyn happening. Especially if we get no Arianne

47. R'hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Tell your little birds I will pay them handsomely for some casting news :)

48. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

We shall see. Come the casting announcements, we shall see. I had no idea who the guys auditioning for Trystane were. Not every actor who auditions is well known. I don’t think the handsome and self confident Trystane from the leaked auditions would work as Quentyn’s replacement.

49. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Arkash:

The temperatures are 10-15 degrees celsius lower then average this time of year.

Check out Dubrovnik:

This time last year it was 35-40 degrees celsius in the coast of Croatia.
    This year its 25 degrees.

Winter is coming….
    :-/

50. Ser Habakuk
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow: How would that work considering the fact that Trystane is Doran’s “youngest son”, as pointed out in season 2?

They could still say that while Trystane is Doran’s “youngest son”, he is also his oldest surviving son.

51. Annara Snow
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Firespider:
    Not understanding these questions is frustrating.Honestly, you gave the French subtitles but not Americans?

Why would a French TV channel upload a video with English subtitles rather than the French ones?

Anyway, here’s my translation of the questions:

1. We are here, in a historical venue, the Hall of Tombs here in Dijon. Did you want to come to the source of your inspiration for your work, a place marked by history?

2. The medieval history of Europe is very important in your work, but the world of “Game of Thrones” is after all, an imaginary, a fictional world. Why didn’t you decide to write pure historical fiction?

3. The supernatural, magical element in your story is very interesting because it’s there, but it’s in the background. One could say that your work belongs is fantasy, but it’s far from the cliches of fantasy.

4. A big difference between your books and the majority of fantasy fiction is that, in your work, there is no place for simple heroism.

5. There are battles, there are wars in “Game of Thrones”, there is war, violence, but one gets the impression that this is not where the essential game is not played there, it’s played by ruse, betrayal, intelligence. It’s where the story is decided (? I couldn’t hear what the last sentence was so I’m just guessing that’s what he asked)

6. When you started writing it, could you have imagined that your saga would achieve such a size, grow into such a panorama?

7. Do you know where you’re leading your characters?

52. Summer
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

So GRRM doesn’t want the reader to know where the story is headed and who will win fights and such? Too bad sir, because the show is catching up next season!

53. Tiberius
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Unrelated news: Lena Headey, Conleth Hill and Michelle Fairley meeting up in Spain. Interesting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2681933/Lena-Headey-flash es-cleavage-legs-Daisy-Dukes-picks-pals-Ibiza-airport.html

54. smitzzz
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

The Quentyn audition tape isn’t necessarily fake , anybody can send in a audition tape to appear http://www.2014auditions.com/hbo-game-of-throne-season-2/#more-909

55. Tabbertap
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

The video H. Stark posted definitely isn’t an actual audition. Here’s one made last year by the same guy with more or less the same script: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BouEsIwn2KM

56. Cumsprite
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Another GM interview? Snoozeville. Wake me when he interviews with a real journalist instead of some industry shill or another besotted fan.

57. chamush
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

I still dont understand the 10 episode policy! It really hurt season 4 IMO. Season 1 was and is the best of all 4 because the story wasnt as spread out so the 10 episodes felt adequate for telling the story.

I feel like season 4 was on fast forward the whole time…well… except the beetle talk!

58. King Stannis
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Mormegil:
    Having now watched the Quentyn audition video it seems a little odd to me.

59. Nymeria
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

How could they leave Arianne out of it? She is so central to the plot? I don’t think you can replace her with the sand snakes. The whole Quenton story line was a bit slow anyway except for the end. Also if they are developing Myrcella’s and Trystan’s story line how can they send him off to Meereen unless they decide to kill of Myrcella?? What do you all think?

60. Ser Habakuk
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Nymeria,

Well, the main difference between Arianne and the Sand Snakes seems to be that Arianne is a legitimate heir to the Dornish throne, whereas the Sand Snakes are bastards. So whether the Sand Snakes can indeed replace Arianne depends in part on whether Arianne’s role as Doran’s heir becomes important later on. Which might also depend on where the Griff storyline is going. But since the Griffs also seem to be up in the air right now, there’s really no telling.

As for Myrcella, it would seem strange for them to recast the role if they where going to kill her off after a few episodes.

All in all, there are really a lot of unknown factors concerning the Dornish storyline. Bronn might replace Arys Oakheart, but how would Jaime fit into it all if he does indeed travel down to Dorne as well?

61. Mormegil
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

King Stannis: It’s an audition! You whiners always look to much into shit. If they wanted him to do the funky chicken does not mean its part of the story or it’s how is going to play out.

So if it was a real audition the almost identical one he did last year must have been real as well?

Can’t recall Quentyn being in Season 4 though.

62. outdoorcats
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

Except if you scroll up a couple posts you can see definitive proof that it’s fake. Guess Tyrion Pimpslap lost that bet – now you have to go around wearing a Philadelphia Eagles T-shirt, buddy.

(yes, I know you didn’t actually make a bet)

63. Turncloak
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Tabbertap:
    Turncloak,

I figured as much. Definitely a self made fan audition.

64. Randi Shamsabadi Howard
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

You know folks is thirsty for casting news when they just throwing any ol vimeo around…

65. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    House Mormont,

I hate the fucking Eagles, man.

Well that’s just like, y’know, your opinion, man.

66. Dogs
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:30 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

At first I thought you meant the band the Eagles, but then, no, you meant Lord of the Rings eagles, which might be worse than the band the Eagles I think, because like why didn’t the eagles just fly Frodo into Mordor in the first place, skipping a lot of deaths and drama? They discuss all the options at the council of rivendell, like giving it to Tom Bombadil even, but the eagles don’t come up as a possible solution. Plot hole alert.

67. King Stannis
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:35 am | Permalink

outdoorcats:
    King Stannis,

(yes, I know you didn’t actually make a bet)

The only thing the Eagles got going for them is Nick Foles. Want to offer me a shirt? Let’s try the 49ers whom will be 2015 SuperBowl champs.

68. outdoorcats
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:04 am | Permalink

King Stannis,

I don’t actually watch football, but Connor Barwin is a hell of a cool guy.

I also haven’t read LOTR since I was a child, but wasn’t there some kind of deal with the eagles that they didn’t get along with some folks, hence why they didn’t come to the rescue until the end when Gandalf worked something out? Definitely deus ex machine, but maybe not necessarily a plot hole. I should leave this to the experts. I barely remember anything that I didn’t see in the movies.

69. jentario
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Tiberius,

That’s just a vacation, nothing else

70. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy: Well he choose the wrong year to come and set visit Croatia in the summer if he looking for nice weather.

Check out Dubrovnik:

This time last year it was 35-40 degrees celsius in the coast of Croatia.
    This year its 25 degrees.

Winter is coming….
    :-/

25-30 ºC is perfectly normal for june july and much better than 35-40ºC. Plus it wasn’t 35-40 this time of year in Dubrovnik, why do you have to lie?? Average temperature in the month of July was 28ºC,and in August, the hottest month, 29ºC. The hottest day of 2013 was August 5, with a high temperature of 35°C. .Not a single day in all 2013 was the temperature over 35ºC, much less 40ºC. The first week of July had a peak temp of 31 ºC, one day.

Really tired of your bullshit in all the threads, go back to your cave, Troll

71. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 5:04 am | Permalink

H. Stark:
    Firespider asked for the audition and I linked it. Sorry.

We need official casting news. :)

It would be fun if they did one of those fan-casting threads – hint-hint-hint to the people who run WiC (although some folk who visit the site take them way too seriously).

Not your fault H Stark, but while I’m here a little message for Fansided – Dear Fansided, Please stop asking me to vote for silly matters like is Spain a good location for filming or not. I do not need these silly pop-up votes though I don’t mind the “sensible” type votes that WiC ran in the good old days. Honestly Fansided, I didn’t want to be a naysayer from the start and when you took over the site I wanted to give you a fair crack of the whip, but honestly, are you trying to drive people away from this site????

72. anuhealani
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

chamush:
    I still dont understand the 10 episode policy! It really hurt season 4 IMO.

The producers have said on several occasions that creating more than 10 episodes would require longer than a one-year break between seasons. Their production schedules are quite grueling.

73. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

House Mormont:
    1) four hobbits, a magical race
    2) an elf, a magical race
    3) a dwarf, a magical race
    5) Gandalf, a fucking demigod wizard

You have a curiously broad definition of magic! Most of those examples are ‘mythic’ or ‘fantasy’ elements, not ‘magic’ in the way that GRRM meant it (esp not the hobbits, who essentially represent modern humans and are our gateway, as readers, into Middle Earth).

The ‘magic’ GRRM refers to is the clear use of magic, ala wands and wizardry, as a means of getting out of situations, etc.

Even the most obvious ‘magic user,’ Gandalf, is seriously constrained in his ability to employ magic, and needs something physical to work with in irder to do so (even for something as simple as starting a fire in the Redhorn). He is also drained and left vulnerable after issuing a mere ‘door-stopping’ spell to constrain the Balrog in the Chamber of Mazarbul. And elves like Elrond and Galadriel, in the books, employ a very subtle magic via the Rings they have in their possession (a magic that helps preserve their homes, rather than an offensive magic). And the eagles are a race of spirits in service of Manwe, falling under the mythological and not the ‘magical’ as GRRM defines it in this context. And there One Ring – apart from lending one invisibility, is generally useless to the non-powerful, and is a seriously poisoned chalice for everyone. So it’s services are largely kept in the background, apart from some key instances.

So GRRM is absolutely right. LOTR, compared to lots of fantasy stories, is very, very sparing in its use of magic-wielding characters as drivers of plot. I’m glad that GRRM is deeply inspired by, but not a slave to, the Tolkien example (who IMO remains the undisputedly best writer in the field, and deserves literary recognition in the level of Kafka, Carroll and Vonnegut).

74. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Please excuse the typos. Commenting from my wittle bitty phone!

75. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    outdoorcats,

It really could have stood for any number of Eagles.

1. Deus Ex Eagles(Lord Of The Rings)
    2. Philadelphia Eagles
    3. The band

I actually love the majestic birds themselves.

I hate the fucking Eagles (the band!) now get me out of this cab…

What I like about the Eagles, and elements like them in stories similar to LOTR (myth, fantasy and drama) is that they take us out of this navel-gazing conception that our lives, and our arcs, are self-contained, special and central. External, unforeseen events disrupt the course of our lives all the time, and can change everything.

Let’s take a real world example. A dispute between families in North Dakota in the early 40s over selling land to an oil company frames the thrust of a small, personal story of friendships ruined and hearts broken. But then WWII breaks out, exposes the pettiness of that dispute, motivates reconciliation, and leads to a rapid and dramatic change in the interactions of these characters, and in the resolution of their dispute. Something larger than us, whether a global conflict, the discovery that an advanced civilization has decided to construct a space freeway through our solar system, or the sublime arrival of spirit-eagles on a hellish battlefield, remind us that we’re not the center of the universe, and that we are not FULLY in control of our destinies. I’m all for giving characters as much agency as possible, but I also think it’s important for writers to avoid the fiction that individuals are totally in control, and able to shield themselves from external events.

Yes, the eagles may have been overused by Tolkien (and he recognized this problem himself). But they do give a taste of the sublime that is humbling and satisfying, especially in those moments of ‘eucatastrophe,’ or ‘good catastrophe,’ that Tolkien creates so well.

In any event, they are different stories. But ASOIAF more similar to LOTR than most think, IMO. ASOIAF is LOTR in reverse. It’s LOTR in its Fourth Age (which Tolkien briefly wrote about as a mundane, magic-less age full of petty evils) where magic and myth are returning to the world, whereas in LOTR that magic is fading (passing of the elves, destruction of the Rings, etc). LOTR shows us the end of the Age of Heros, while ASOIAF shows us it’s unexpected return.

They form an interesting complement that makes me like ASOIAF that much more.

76. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Of course in history there were the eagles (not real ones, the standards) the Roman legions had. I read somewhere that GRRM liked the children’s historical novels of Rosemary Sutcliffe in his childhood. There was a film made of one of her books “The Eagle of the Ninth” (book title, can’t recall what they called the film) a few years ago but the film was totally savaged by the critics. I’ve not seen it though I did like the book back in the day.

77. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

outdoorcats:
    King Stannis,

I don’t actually watch football, but Connor Barwin is a hell of a cool guy.

You’re thinking of the Hobbit (a children’s book), where they play a larger role (and appear twice). Gandalf heals Gwaihir, their leader, and Gwaihir notes that he is indebted to Gandalf (which partly sets up their appearance at the Battle of the Five Armies).

In LOTR, they appear at the very end of book 3, at the hopeless battle of the Morannon. And there, they don’t actually act as a deus ex machina at all, because they don’t save the day (and could not have had anything but a marginal effect on the entirety of Sauron’s army). In that case, the destruction of the Ring, built up over three books (and as such, not a deus ex machina), is the deciding factor.

I would encourage a re-read, actually. They are far richer and more complex than the movies, which IMO are awful representations (and have contributed to the erroneous notion that they are “black and white”).

78. Macharius
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Dolorous Ned:

79. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Macharius: He only says that the books are coming on well to avoid threats and shitstorms. He’s probably not writing them at all anymore.

Lol how sad must be to live a life so full of fear and self-loathing that you always have to expect the worse in life in order to be able to cope with it ;)

80. Tatters
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

They are certainly not black, only white as you say it.

81. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Did anyone notice that GRRM understood the questions posed to him in French? That’s pretty cool. I can catch maybe one word in a 50….

82. Tatters
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

Everyone know middle earth is the prelude to the middle ages.
    Stuff you remember from school.
    Westeros is just fantasy for fun.

83. Tatters
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

You need to read the accursed kings.

84. Abyss
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

I would have to re-watch to be more certain, but I’m pretty sure they cut the translations of the questions out. ;-)

85. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Tatters: the accursed kings

I have. All seven of them. Twice! :-)

I generally prefer history and historical fiction to fantasy, except when the latter is done well (such as by Tolkien, GRRM and Wolfe). Tolkien himself noted that he prefers the “varied applicability of history” to fiction (particularly allegorical fiction), as the latter is too often characterized by the “purposed domination of the author.”

Here’s his full quote, which was prompted by a question about allegory:

“I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.”

Part of why Tolkien’s work, and GRRM’s, work so well for me is because they feel like history and myth, “true or feigned,” with their toes and sometimes torsos submerged in that reality. They don’t seem to be polemics about this issue, or that. They merely reflect historical and mythical worlds and characters, and the stories flow from that.

86. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

I thought so too but didn’t notice later cuts….I was listening more than looking so you’re probably right.

87. Abyss
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

The interview was filmed with at least two cameras and they switch between them all the time. That’s a very easy way to hide later cuts. :)

88. Joe Frost
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Enough with the pointless Dorne characters already. Unless they announce Arriane or Doran I don’t care. The rest have no massive relevance.
    Also if they include Captain Pointless (Quentyn) and leave out Euron, Victarion, Griff and even Penny then I’m going to be quite annoyed!

89. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Joe Frost,

D&D know who is pointless and who isn’t. It is fairly obvious Dorne will play a huge role in the end game, judging by how many of the characters are being cast. Dany refusing Quentyn and him dying turns the Martells and Dorne against her, and likely leads to them supporting “Aegon” and putting his ass on the throne.

90. Joe Frost
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

But do we really need three Sandsnakes? I guess if they’re going to fill the role as Ariannes fellow conspirators instead of Tom, DIck and Harry or whatever their names were than that’s fine. Areo Hotah is pretty much a camera with eyes. A character that can easily be cut especially if there’s no Arys Oakheart.
    I won’t be budged on this! For me, Quentyn Martell is the worst/most irrelevant character in the whole series of book. His chapters were dull and his presence had not major impact on anything. Dorne would support Aegon with or without Danys marriage as they were already ( like everyone in the book and reading it) fed up of Dany stagnating in Mereen. If they must send a Martell to Dany then use aged up Trystane. Would make his romance with Mycella story more bearable and people might give a fig when he gets roasted by dragons.
    The Greyjoys were a pretty hefty part of Feast and Victarion especially seems to have a part to play. Also seems weird to introduce such an enigmatic character as Euron for him to have no relevance. The Kingsmoot also needs to go down to give Yasha a reason to go back to get Theon.
    I guess more will be revealed as the casting news starts coming in.

91. Napoleonbuff
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Dogs,

Not a plot hole. Besides the fact that it is addressed that the eagles don’t like carrying people around, so only take them short distances, it would be the stupidest plan imaginable, as they would be spotted and killed quite quickly, and Sauron would get his ring back. They need to sneak into Mordor unnoticed.

92. Annara Snow
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Joe Frost:
    Tyrion Pimpslap,

I guess more will be revealed as the casting news starts coming in.

So how does Trystane manage to have a romance with Myrcella, participate in the Queenmaker plot, travel to Essos AFTER that and manage to court Dany, be rejected and roasted by dragons before the end of the season?

That would be too much even with Littlefinger’s transporter! I hope they’ve made the new and improved version already!

93. Ser Habakuk
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Well, since the Meereenese story arc will probably end with Daznak’s Pit this season, Trystane could possibly arrive there early next season, missing Daenerys instead of being rejected by her, if he leaves Dorne at the end of season 5.

94. Joe Frost
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Not too hard. If they open the season with Trystane and Mycella as a romantic situation (really hope they’ve not just aged them up so they can get naked and have sex…it was cheap with Missandei and it’d be cheap here) then Trystane could either be genuinely in love with Mycella and doing it in protest or be in on Doran’s plan. Either way, he gets sent to Mereen to propose to Dany. I sense they’ll probably kill Mycella off (as much as I dislike the idea) and then Trystane gets roasted by dragons. Trystane doesn’t have to take part in the Queenmaker plot. In fact, his departure may make it more of a possibility. If he gets going early in the season then it’s perfectly within reason he’d get there by the end couple of episodes. This is all obviously theory crafting. For me, I don’t think anyone from Dorne really needs to go there. Dorne could just get fed up of waiting for Dany and not getting any word from Pentos after keeping up the facade (albeit whether Mycella and Trystane are in love or not) that Trystane will marry Mycella to keep the Lanisters/Baratheons onside when they’re really planning on wedding him to Dany. So they get fed up of waiting and decide to go with Aegon when he turns up with him marrying Arianne.

95. jentario
    Posted July 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Annara Snow,

I don’t think he’ll get roasted this season. I think he gets roasted early in season 6 during the battle. But he’d still need one heck of a jet pack to travel from Sunspear to Meereen in 4 or 5 episodes.

96. Chriss
    Posted July 8, 2014 at 1:25 am | Permalink

H. Stark:
    Firespider,

Now we need Arianne. :)

Sorry, but this is laughably bad. How we know it’s fake:

1) The acting is atrocious,

2) The writing is abominable. Haha at Quentyn getting himself a 6 minute de facto monologue in which he recounts the entire journey of his character in a neat little conversation in which it would make absolutely no sense to expound on his story other than to exposit for the viewer in a way that would be woeful even in the worst soap opera.

3) And the most fatal flaw of all: ’50,000 spears of Dorne’. Hahaha, as if D&D have any fucking clue how many men Dorne has.