San Diego Comic-Con announces Game of Thrones Panel and Q&A
By Lightbringer on in Events, News.

The Friday schedule for San Diego Comic-Con was released today, and it includes some details on this year’s Game of Thrones panel!

Game of Thrones will return to Hall H on Friday, July 25 from 1:40pm – 2:40pm, for a panel and Q&A session. The following details accompanied the schedule:

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, HBO’s Game of Thrones concluded its 10-episode fourth season in June and will begin filming its fifth season this summer. The series, executive produced and written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, is an epic story of treachery and nobility, set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years. Featured cast include (in alphabetical order) Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Baratheon, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.

We can now safely assume that the listed cast members will be in attendance, and it is likely that we will get official word from HBO on the lineup soon. Very exciting news!

One person who is sure to be at the convention is George R.R. Martin, who is featured on the Thursday schedule to discuss his novels and upcoming projects.

New York Times bestselling author George R. R. Martin (Game of Thrones) discusses his novels, projects, and the visceral new In the House of the Worm comic book series. Moderator William Christensen (Avatar Press publisher) conducts this Q&A with Martin live and in person!
Thursday July 24, 2014 4:00pm – 5:00pm
Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront

London Film and Comic Con has also announced that they will be hosting a Game of Thrones screening tomorrow night at Earls Court 2 from 7-8pm with commentary from a selection of cast members. Sibel Kekilli, Isaac Hempstead-Wright, Ellie Kendrick, Lena Headey, Katie Dickie, Gethin Anthony, Kristian Nairn, and Ian Beattie are all guests at the convention and may make an appearance.

1. jentario
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Casting reel please and thank you.

2. WinterRy71
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

announce the new book at comic-con!

hodor ftfw!

3. Morna the Witch
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

So except Nicolaj, Kit and Rose, some new faces. Can’t wait!

4. Dave
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Isaac will not be in the Game of Thrones panel?
    That’s weird, since he’ll also be there to promote The Boxtrolls.

And hopefully there will be new preview chapter read by GRRM or at least some information about the release date of TWOW.

5. outdoorcats
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

No Peter (too bad), but Gwendoline, Nikolaj, Pedro, Sophie, and Maisie! The lineup sounds awesome. But the important part is to get a good moderator. Rob McElhenney would obviously be amazing, but the important part is that we get a moderator who is 1) a big fan of the show and 2) doesn’t ask the exact same questions the cast and crew get asked every year.

6. Sir Pedant
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Nitpicky me noticed you misspelled Isaac’s name as Issac in the London Film and Comic Con paragraph.

7. Johan Sporre
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Impressive line-up I’d say.

8. EverydayI'mHodoring
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Not to be a dick, and I love watching these panels every year on YouTube, but only the first one (or two?) were any good in as far as cool and interesting information being learned. The other panels were dull and questions asked that have been asked before. I’m sure these are great to be at in person to see the actors/actresses in person. I think it was the one with Jason Momoa that really rocked. Hopefully this one is really good, I’m especially interested in hearing from Gwendoline Christie, Natalie Dormer, Rory, Pedro (those that haven’t done it before) and D & D as always since they are the ones with the real answers to anything involving what’s going on with the show currently.

9. Grynthaline
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Sophie and Rory in the same panel? Oh no, someone is going to ask about the SanSan ship and it’s going to be awkward as fuck *faceslap*

10. Isabelle
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Great line-up! Lovely to see that Rory and Pedro are taking part!!

11. Arkash
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

One of my favourite panel was the one with only Rory, Maisie and Jason, it rocked !

The Rob McElhenney one was amazing as fuck as well ! Hope this one will live up to that !

12. strokememarge
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

This lineup has GoT me all stroked up. I sympathize with Ms. Christie, you know she is going to be inundated with Star Wars questions. Cool too that the awesome threesome of Rory, Sophie and Maisie are in attendance. Wonder if Sean Bean will show up for a surprise appearance, he is going to be there promoting “Legends”.

AS for the moderator, they need to get Mr. NPH himself, that would be a perfect, well almost perfect panel…..

It won’t be perfect without a big, Big, BIG casting announcement:)

13. Summer
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

WinterRy71:
    announce the new book at comic-con!

hodor ftfw!

At comic-con 2018? Yeah, why not? But why bother about it now?

14. Caroh99
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Grynthaline,

Better Sophie and Rory answering something about SanSan (which happened two seaons ago and wasn’t even properly represented on the show anyways) than have Aiden and Sophie talk about LF’s creepy relationship with Sansa.

15. Carne
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

If I remember correctly they barely had time for questions last year. Hope it’s a bit better planned this time around. Also, the lack of any casting news make me believe we’ll get a video similar to the one for season 3.

16. Winnie
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Two more weeks to get the official Season Five casting bulletin!

17. Arash
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

OK, so question for folks who have experience:

As a fan, how do you get to go to these panels?

Do you have to buy tickets? (to ComicCon in general or the specific panel)

Or you just walk in?

Appreciate any tips!

18. Carne
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Arash,

Yes, you have to buy tickets for Comic-Con, and as far as I know they sold out long ago. There’s long, long, long lines before the most popular panels (like GoT). If you really want to get in and find a decent seat you’ll likely have to camp out days in advance.

19. Shadowcat85
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

I think this will be a great panel. Stoked about Maisie and Sophie finally being there. Gwen, Natalie, and Rory are good additions. And NCW, Kit, and Rose are always fun. Guessing Gwen and Natalie will also be at the Mockingjay panel too.

20. Shadowcat85
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Ahhh, and I forgot about Pedro!!

21. Almost A Knight
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Best panel line-up ever! Excited to see Gwendoline and Nikolaj for finally being in video interview together!

22. Ser Pounce
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I hope Rory confirms Cleganebowl. Faiths Champion vs FrankenGregor

23. Grynthaline
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Caroh99,

It’s just, Rory gets uncomfortable whenever he’s asked about it and I cringe so hard every time. I’m just saying it’s going to be awkward and I know it. Oh well, can’t be helped.

24. Jennifer
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Both actors have already talked about SanSan, before the show gave it little importance. I don’t see why it would be brought up here. If anything they’ll be asking about the Arya/Sandor dynamic.

Peter never looks like he wants to be there so I would love it if Pedro took his place along with everyone else in that list.

And please, a good moderator this time!

25. Kells
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Grynthaline:
    Caroh99,

It’s actually to a point I think where he expects it. I understand it can be uncomfortable, who can blame him (or any actor) for that, but Rory and Sophie have been cool about it. Hell, I “ship” it and know it can be weird but it’s characters, not the actors (at least not for me). They can’t control book/show/fan canon, so at this point, I think they just embrace what some fans want to hear about it and move on. But I do agree, more people will be interested in the Arya/Sandor dynamic and the possibility of Sandor’s return.
    I have to echo the poster who mentioned the panel with Jason, Rory and Maisie. That whole thing was awesome, they are hysterical. The sound bites alone will be worth the price of admission.

26. franco
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Don’t want to sound like an awful person, but I’m glad Emilia is out this year, for once, this time all the question won’t be for Kelly C. (and every year the same questions)

27. Eddard Stark II
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

I have’nt seen the Rob McElhenney panel can you link it?

28. Grynthaline
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Kells,

Yeah I agree, that panel with Jason Momoa/Rory/Maisie was hysterical. When the actors have good chemistry together on and off screen, it transfers onto their banters. It is a good line-up, but I’m betting 3 questions will be asked %100:

1. Who is your favourite character?
    2. Who would you play other than your character?
    3. Have you read the books?

If one of them isn’t asked I’ll eat my hat. :)

29. DD
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Yes!!! Nikolaj and Gwendoline! Jaime and Brienne my OTP will be there!!

30. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Grynthaline,

Interviewers should be banned from asking if an actor has read the books. It’s been 4 years, find some new questions.

31. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 9:45 pm | Permalink
  32. steve
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Going to be a party pooper here, but other than first one after season 1, I’ve found the Game of Thrones Comic Con panel to be disappointing the last 2 years. Hopefully this one is not. I do like the panel. It’s good and better than previous years, so that’s a good start.

33. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

steve,

It all depends on the moderator. The Emmy panel moderated by Rob McElhenney was the best. The Comic-Con panels have been moderated by GRRM(seasons 1 and 2) and some guy who did a horrible job last year.

34. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Eddard Stark II,

If the previous link didn’t work, this one should:

35. Unbowed Unbent Unhodor
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

36. Scott Glennon
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

*sigh* I’ve been shut out of SDCC tickets 3 years in a row now, and this panel looks really good! Perhaps SOMEONE (AND I MEAN SOMEONE OFFICIAL) could get video for the rest of us poor souls who will have to experience this through the internet. For several of those actors, this will be their first time at SanDiego Comicon, and it would be really fun to share that with them. SO…….video please?

The North Remembers.

37. lost northern
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

No Emilia Clarke…but she’s so cool and No Lena Headey either this is just UNACCEPTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABLE!!! (Adventure Time reference)

38. Randi Shamsabadi Howard
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

lost northern,

Mm. Acceptable.

39. Randi Shamsabadi Howard
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

lost northern,

But I am actually holding out hope for Heady.

40. Iskander1970
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Unbowed Unbent Unhodor:
    Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

And why is it Sansa Stark and not Sansa Lannister? Just nitpicking ;)

41. Why
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 2:30 am | Permalink

lost northern,

IKR? I’m so sad that Emilia and Lena don’t attend ;(

42. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 2:40 am | Permalink

Why,

I love Emilia but she’s been to every panel so far. I’m happy we’re getting some more diversity this time and some faces we’ll never see again :(

Lena and Emilia should be back next year

43. ATG
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:39 am | Permalink

Hopefully this year’s panel will be better than last year’s and hopefully this year they get a moderator who actually has some idea of what he is moderating. Still though a great list of actors, Pedro Pascal that is all I have to say.

44. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Summer: At comic-con 2018? Yeah, why not? But why bother about it now?

45. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

It’s a two way street, Pau. And now there’s a lot of buzz given that the “fuck you” article is still fresh.

46. Wilson Wilson
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 4:48 am | Permalink

As the seasons go by its always going to be more difficult to come up with new and interesting questions unless you have major new cast members. It’s always going to be full of stock questions like “where do you see your character going?” and “what’s it like to act with X?”.

We already had many post season 4 media interviews with many cast members being asked and why this and why that and no doubt more of the same in the Comic Con. Just a bit more entertaining to see cast members interact and play off each other rather than alone with an interviewer.

Think what it must have been like after 10 seasons of Stargate SG1!

So here is your challenge: come up with some original questions and post them here!

47. Summer
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 5:21 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano: Lol can’t you guys leave Martin alone for a fucking thread? It’s starting to get obsessive ;D

Just being a realist! But we will see. This week he said he did not know when WOW was coming out so he will not announce it here.

48. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Emilia’s not particularly entertaining at past comic cons, so I don’t think it’s a big loss to not have her on the panel. I agree that having a better moderator this year is a hugely important. Rory is funny on panels, so I’m glad he’s going, and Pedro’s very funny in interviews, he’s a great addition. This is a good group.

49. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Any news on when exactly they start shooting season 5 and in which country? Probably Ireland, right?

50. Annara Snow
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:
    I hope Rory confirms Cleganebowl. Faiths Champion vs FrankenGregor

Right, as if he or any of the actors are going to be spoiling future seasons/books. May as well ask D&D in their next interview to tell you how the series ends.

I’m still sure we’ll see at least one person ask him if he is going to come back and Rory having to be evasive or say something without saying anything, unless he says “They haven’t told me” or “I don’t know”.

Unbowed Unbent Unhodor:
    Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

it bugs me, too. They had done it before with “Cersei Baratheon” and “Sansa Lannister” (URGH) on the HBO profile page. I don’t know who does these things. I guess it’s by someone who hasn’t read the books and the show rarely mentions people by their full name, and they are going by how they imagine naming should work in Westeros. Maybe they’re going by the “Catelyn Stark” and “Lysa Arryn” precedents.

It’s not someone intentionally going “Let’s make this fictional world even more sexist than it is, just a bit – that’s what it needs, right?” but it still bugs me.

Unbowed Unbent Unhodor:
    Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

Iskander1970: And why is it Sansa Stark and not Sansa Lannister? Just nitpicking ;)

Please don’t even joke about that. Just no.

51. Annara Snow
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:
    I hope Rory confirms Cleganebowl. Faiths Champion vs FrankenGregor

As if he or any of the actors are going to be spoiling future seasons/books. May as well ask D&D in their next interview to tell you how the series ends.

Unbowed Unbent Unhodor:
    Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

Unbowed Unbent Unhodor:
    Is it just me or is it a little weird that it says magerary BARATHEON.

Please don’t even joke about that.

52. Sandor Claws
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Rouven Blessing audition for Quentyn

53. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Sandor Claws,

It’s as fake as Varys’ vagina.
    If you see it again, it’s obvious the guy wrote his own script for the audition. There’s no indication that Quentyn will be included

54. Girl or a Goat
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Yet the most entertaining moments of these past two boring panels involved Emilia. Anyway, it is a big loss when she’s the only con pov from Dany’s part of the show.

55. Sandor Claws
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

jentario, Ha! I wondered but who’s the other guy? From now on I’m just going to assume Tom Wlaschiha was cast for every new character next season.

56. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Emilia isn’t as funny or entertaining as Peter or Lena but she’s beautiful and has a great laugh and a fun attitude in general. She’s fun to watch.

But I’d rather skip her this year in favor of some new faces. As far as I know she’s the only one whose been to all previous Comic Con panels.

57. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Sandor Claws,

Well they might have a Quentyn in mind but that’s definitely not an audition based on a real script. I think the guy is a book reader who thinks he would make a good Quentyn and submitted the audition based on lines from the book (and the show).

58. TheMan
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I regret very much that our beautiful funny Emilia doesn’t attend comic con. She’s a real sunshine and anyone claiming she isn’t funny hasn’t watched the videos apparently. She was always involved in the funniest scene, had the most laughs and applause from the audience and so on.
    Besides I am also missing Lena Headey very much. She is so cool and has great one liners. She’s as entertaining as Emilia. I’ll miss those two ladies.
    And Peter, where is Peter??
    I could skip Kit and Rose, they are not that entertaining. And Ygritte is dead anyway.
    I am so pleased to see Rory and Pedro attending.

59. Sandor Claws
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Emilia ruins every panel discussion, group interview, & DVD commentary.

60. Nikola S
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

The only two Im missing is Charles Dance and Jack Gleeson. Considering they wont be back for season 5 they should have brought them too. Other then that it looks like a great panel. And Im willing to bet that Momoa will make an entrance as well =P

61. Dave
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I’m glad Emilia is not attending. She’s not funny or entertaining at all. So because Momoa made a surprise appearance last year, that somehow lumps her in as being entertaining? I don’t think so.

I have nothing against her but people greatly overrate her level of supposed charisma. She doesn’t have much.

62. Rose
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Sandor Claws,

Lol really? I think she is great and I love her.

63. Loki202
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Rose,

Thanks. Same here :)

64. Summer
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Test

65. Darquemode
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Craig Ferguson as moderator should be awesome! XD

66. Fez
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

New HBO press release: http://hbob2b.vo.llnwd.net/u/mr_twitter/July2014/comiccon14ann.pdf

Craig Ferguson is the moderator. That’s awesome.

67. Canal Cat
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I would love to see more Sansa/Sandor on the show, they are my favorites. Sounds like a great panel.

68. Rafael Rodrigues
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:05 am | Permalink

“Natalie Dormer as Margaery Baratheon” this wrong, the correct is “Natalie Dormer as Margaery Tyrell”, use the google!

1. […] for this year’s Game of Thrones Panel at San Diego Comic-Con! The list confirms what we saw on Friday’s official schedule, but comes with the welcome additions of cast member John Bradley, and Craig Ferguson as the […]