Game of Owns: The Afterglow
By WiC Staff on in Podcast.

Episode 230 – The Afterglow

iTunes | Download | RSS

Heading further into the on-season, GOO returns to catch up on a slew of news and Westerosian politics.

Discussion Topics

Missing Jaime
New locations
GRRM flips the raven
Things are moving smoothly
All of the nominations
George R. R. Martin Masterclass

1. debbie
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Are you guys going to do 2-3 podcasts a week again so we get thru the book by season 5? I know its a ton of work and no matter what, I appreciate getting to spend some time with you each week…..

2. Atomix
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

My own goes to Kates Bike. The jokes I’ll keep to myself.

3. John M W
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

I think it’s easy to tell long time readers to ease up on George when you’ve only been reading for a couple years.

But when it comes to people who began reading this story 18 YEARS ago, I think they’re perfectly justified in wanting George to work faster.

They deserve to be allowed to finish this story through the novels instead of a television adaptation.

4. Almost A Knight
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 1:58 am | Permalink

Really missing Jaime in this one. I was so excited to finally listen to your reaction to his very first chapter. But I think you cover great stuff in this episode. Especially the Emmy talk. Even if we are disappointed by Pedro not being nominated, we always know there is credible fan only award which is wic.net awards. Just asking, will you release another Friday episode for Jaime or regular Monday episode?

5. Jim
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 2:25 am | Permalink

What ever happened to Osha & Rickon Stark? We’re they going to Castle Black?

6. R'hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Jim,

They were headed to the Last Hearth where house Umber resides in the show. I think they will be some part of the show since the Greatjon is still alive and not in prison by show standards

7. Chickenduck
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 7:22 am | Permalink

R’hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand:
    Jim,

Eventually I think we will see some Umbers, though.

8. jentario
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Chickenduck,

I think you have one

9. Rygar
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

I have a Great Johnson.

10. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: This is true, BUT bear in mind that the actor who played the Greatjon was written out due to scheduling conflicts and there was some evidence of bad blood between him and the production team.

Eventually I think we will see some Umbers, though.

The actor who played him had his ear partially bitten off in real life so he might have been having medical treatment (that’s just me surmising though, don’t take it as gospel).

11. Chickenduck
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

If you go back and read the comments from him pre-S2, it was stated by his manager that he “wasn’t asked back”.

No comment from HBO. That generally means they parted on bad terms (see also Daario, Mountain mk 1). If they recast or write someone out on “friendly” terms, with the actor they are open about it (Tommen, Beric).

12. jentario
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Rygar,

You sexy mother fucker.
    (I wasn’t calling you sexy, you just fuck sexy mothers)

13. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Chickenduck:
    Dame of Mercia,

No comment from HBO.That generally means they parted on bad terms (see also Daario, Mountain mk 1).If they recast or write someone out on “friendly” terms, with the actor they are open about it (Tommen, Beric).

Oh, that means if they do feature the Greatjon again they’ll do yet another re-cast I guess.

14. John M W
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Having Greatjon disappear from the show after such a memorable introduction sticks out just as much as some of the big recastings.

It’s one of the things that really bugs me when I go back to watch season one.

15. Patchy Face
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

John M W,

I have only been reading the series for 10 years – and have no qualms about GRRM finishing on his own timeline. Once these books are completed and we have all consumed them, there won’t be anymore – so what is everyone’s hurry? I would really like him to take his time and get an excellent result. (comments are so typical of the give it to me instantaneously generation born after 1980- the writer is not an android)

16. John M W
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face,

If by instant gratification, you mean that I’d like him to finish sometime in the next decade, then yeah – sign me up for the instant gratification crowd.

But my point here is the television show. Having the ending revealed on the HBO series will make it impossible for book readers to not become aware of the ending before Martin’s final book is released.

I presume, based on your response, that you happen to be okay with this. But I would think, by and large, long time readers would feel cheated by this.

If George didn’t want to feel pressured to write faster, he probably shouldn’t have commissioned an HBO series for his books.

17. Howland Reed
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

Slackers. :)

18. jentario
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face,

GRRM’s writing speed isn’t the problem, it’s the fact that he simply doesn’t sit down and write as much as he should. And I wouldn’t protest against it, but he has a TV adaption catching up to him and he’s STILL not making any attempt to hurry his pace. If I was him I’d be really ashamed to see the show overtake my own story.

19. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

John M W:
    Patchy Face,

This. Much as I appreciate the work has done so far on ASOIAF he was clearly being delusional if he thought he could finish the books before HBO was ready to bring the series to a conclusion. Hindsight is always 20/20 but regretfully he has brought this pressure on himself to a large extent.

20. R'hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck,

They could always recast him, but I dont think it’s necassarily out of the realm of possibility for Clive Mantle to return. I always figured they didn’t ask him back because they brought in Roose Bolton and made him Robb’s chief advisor. They did say he was alive and in the Riverlands on a featurette of the season 2 DVD though. I’m not sure they would do this unless there was some kind of use for him down the line. What do you guys think? I’ve also been wondering lately if House Umber will be replacing House Manderly

21. Patchy Face
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

John M W,

Yes, and then we would not be having this conversation as there would be no show & no website. There is so much love for the show – I am okay with seeing it end in both venues regardless of conclusion exposure…the books will be a treat no matter when they come out. Like I said, I was reading the books 6 years before there was a show – I am so grateful for both renditions.

22. Rygar
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    Rygar,

You sexy mother fucker.
    (I wasn’t calling you sexy, you just fuck sexy mothers)

You’re such a sweetie. Mwah!

23. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Once again, Kate Welch destroys everyone with her brilliance!

24. Chickenduck
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

R’hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand:
    Chickenduck,

I’ve also been wondering lately if House Umber will be replacing House Manderly

It’s possible that Clive could come back, but also, the Greatjon at this point doesn’t have anything to do from the books.

I reckon it’s more likely that they’ll cast new actors as the other Umber family members as (or if) required.

Regards replacing Manderley, I doubt that, only because they seeded a Manderley at the Red Wedding. But we’ll see. At that point they probably hadn’t decided 100%.

25. Zack Luye
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Appreciate all of the insight here. The show creates a unique problem for the actual series, we’re excited to open this further during the panel at Leakycon.

26. Zack Luye
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

and a chapter by chapter look into Rygar’s johnson