George R.R. Martin visits Le Grand Journal
By Lightbringer on in Books, Interview.

George R.R. Martin was a guest on Le Grand Journal during his trip to France earlier this month, and the full interview is now available to watch online. Martin appeared in his familiar cap and suspenders to talk about his work on A Song of Ice and Fire and the success of Game of Thrones.

He discusses some of the inspirations for his story, and justifies the amount of violence by looking back at our own bloody history. He also shares his reaction to the Queen’s visit to the set in Belfast, and reveals that his favorite parodies are actually of himself.

Martin’s answers have been dubbed over in French, and while you can still hear his voice, to make things a little easier, a transcript can be found below.

On whether he can still claim the story as his baby after the huge success of the show:

I still do think of it as my baby, I worked on it it a long time before anybody else. Started it in 1991, and it’s kind of frightening to think how long I’ve been writing about these characters and world at this point.

On historical fiction, and his inspiration for the Wall:

I love history, and historical fiction. You mentioned Hadrian’s Wall, that was one of the inspirations of course for my Wall. Even long before I knew what I would use it for I visited Hadrian’s Wall in England, and stood on top of it at sunset. Most of the tourists had gone, and I tried to imagine what it was like to be a Roman Legionnaire standing on this wall at the end of the world not know what might lie North of it, what might come and attack you at any moment. It was quite a profound feeling and I wanted to capture that at some point.

On the amount of violence in his story:

I think it’s actually the influence of history, you know, people say to me how do you invent such a bloody history, how do you kill so many people. If you look at sources, if you look at the actual stories of the Hundred Years’ War, or the War of the Roses, or the crusades, the Cathars, I’m a piker compared to the stuff that happened in real history. Real history was written in blood, and the kind of things our ancestors did to each other is just amazing.

People seem to be amused by reading it, so I like telling fascinating stories.

On his Westeros related side projects:

The book that you’re talking about there is a novella about two characters called Dunk and Egg, who lived 90 years before the main story, and I’ve written three novellas about them and hope to write another dozen telling the whole story of their lives. But they are a prequel to what I think of as the main story, which is A Song of Ice and Fire. I’m doing some of the pre-history, the things that happened before, the characters who were legendary characters in the ‘present’ so to speak, I’m telling their stories too. The main story is still A Song of Ice and Fire, in with Game of Thrones.

On the Queen’s visit to the set:

I see they gave her a little Iron Throne of her own. I notice she did not sit in the Iron Throne. I know she has her own throne that she sits in, she doesn’t need our throne to sit on.

It’s pretty amazing, I was unfortunately not there in Belfast, I was in New Mexico. But I have seen these videos before and it’s pretty exciting. It’s pretty astonishing. This has been a very strange trip since I began in 1991, writing about some wolves in the summer snow. To see something like this happening now and have the whole world aware of the story is amazing. It’s not something anyone could ever foresee.

On his favorite parody:

My favorite spoof is probably the actual spoofs of me that were done on Saturday Night Live and South Park and things like that. That’s been the strangest thing for me. It’s one thing as a writer to have someone do a parody of your characters and the world you create, but then to have someone actually do a parody of me, myself, you know, this boggles my mind still. But last Halloween in America they were selling Game of Thrones costumes so kids going trick of treating could dress up like Jon Snow or like Daenerys, that’s fine, but they were also selling costumes to dress up like me with the suspenders and the hat and the full beard. That blew my mind, that’s the strangest thing of all. Fortunately nobody came to my house dressed up like me.

On whether he enjoyed the Red Wedding reaction:

Actually, I want the feeling in my readers that no one is safe. I want them emotionally involved in the books. If the characters are in a difficult or scary situation I want the reader almost to be afraid to turn the next page because they don’t know what’s going to happen. If the character’s going to live or if the character’s going to die.

On sharing a name with The Beatles’ record producer:

He’s a knight, he’s Sir George Martin, and I’m not. But I did meet Paul McCartney last year, so I’m catching up to him. Now we both know Paul McCartney.

1. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Choo-choo!

2. Turncloak
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 8:23 am | Permalink

So 12 more Dunk & Egg novels are coming. Dammit, looks like I’m going to have to wait a while to find out what happened at the tragedy of Summerhall

3. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Egads! That would be an awfully long wait to read of D&E’s tragic demise. Maybe BR will shed some light on it in TWoW? I’m actually surprised that Aemon didn’t speak of it. Maybe TWoI&F will have more on it in October?

But for me, a far more pressing concern is if Dunk ever finally hooked up with Tanselle!

4. House Mormont
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 9:09 am | Permalink

That’s so weird, I live right next to Hadrian’s Wall, never made that connection, probably because it’s like a 2m tall ruin in most places

5. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Roman Wall Blues

Over the heather the wet wind blows,
    I’ve lice in my tunic and a cold in my nose.

The rain comes pattering out of the sky,
    I’m a Wall soldier, I don’t know why.

The mist creeps over the hard grey stone,
    My girl’s in Tungria; I sleep alone.

Aulus goes hanging around her place,
    I don’t like his manners, I don’t like his face.

Piso’s a Christian, he worships a fish;
    There’d be no kissing if he had his wish.

She gave me a ring but I diced it away;
    I want my girl and I want my pay.

When I’m a veteran with only one eye
    I shall do nothing but look at the sky.

WH Auden

6. Hodorer
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

He seems to have misunderstood Hadrian’s wall a bit. The north beyond the wall wasn’t unknown, it was built because of an emperor who was a show-off and wanted to show the glory of Rome and how amazing it is compared to “barbarians”. It didn’t stop people from migrating south of it either and was just used for taxation purposes as the gates served as custom offices.

7. Hizdahr Zo Loraq for President
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Why is every interview with him exactly the same? Someone should ask him if there is any weed in Westeros? I’m thinking about going to his theater just for that one question. It’s not like I would be interrupting his writing.

8. Mister Stoneheart
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:21 am | Permalink

The only Grand Journal this guy needs to hit is the one in his writing studio.

9. NewJeffCT
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

good stuff in the interview.

Now, is this the worst f-ing headline ever, or what?

10. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Ross: It never ceases to amaze me how mean-spirited and nasty so many people are about the person who created this incredible work of fiction that we all love.It’s very odd, and I never will understand it.

I’ve been saying the same for a while…it’s dumbfounding.

I think it’s mostly kids who “gief candy NOW!”. Out of 12 comments we have 2 insulting ones and 4 that complain that he should be writing so they can get the book sooner, instead of doing whatever the fuck he wants.

Every interview is the same because every interviewer asks the same questions. Why? because 99% of the people this interview is aimed for haven’t watch the previous ones

11. Arkash
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Hizdahr Zo Loraq for President:
    Why is every interview with him exactly the same? Someone should ask himif there is any weed in Westeros? I’m thinking about going to his theater just for that one question. It’s not like I would be interrupting his writing.

I so want Stannis to light-up a good joint before planning the attack on Winterfell !!!

12. Sandor Claws
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Hizdahr Zo Loraq for President,
    THIS!!! Ask about opium, too.

13. jentario
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

slayjoy,

Batman? Is that you??

14. Cary Storm
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

slayjoy,

Paraphrase: “Those were not his fans, those were the people who were speculating he might die before he finishes this series they’ve gotten hooked on”

aka, his fans.

15. Joshua White
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

George has said on numerous occasions that it would be a great disappointment if the show (that he initiated in the first place) overtook the book series. This has already happened, as season 5 will be using Winds content for Bran and Sansa, and most likely Stannis and Danny as well. The show will finish the story in seven seasons, and Martin will have no one to blame but himself and his countless distractions. No one is denying that he can’t spend his time as he pleases, but there are consequences for not meeting deadlines, and one of these consequences will be being remembered as the talented failure whose series was completed by HBO.

16. Strider
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark,

Haha, I was going to ask a confirmation for slayjoy’s new modship status from Fury or FaB or HMR since the poster seems to feel entitled to clean the site and everything! Never ceases to amaze me how some few posters can invite other posters to get out of wic just because dissenting opinion’s are presented.

Hodor’s Bastard,

No such luck for our Dunk I bet HB!

Cumsprite,

If he had to outburst, he made it big at least. And the implied question straight to his face was offensive.

17. Reasonable Fan
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Dear George,

Please continue to travel and enjoy the fruits of your incredible success, (god knows I would do the same thing) but please reconsider your self imposed ban on writing on the road. Isn’t the ability to work from anywhere one of the few advantages writers enjoy over other occupations? Yes, you may not be quite as productive as when you’re ensconced in your Santa Fe man-cave, but a few pages scribbled down here and there on your travels will begin to add up.

Love,

Reasonable (but concerned) Fan

18. dtones520
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

NewJeffCT,

Hmmm, an event in London? All that means to me is that we are going to have at least 3 more days of George not sitting in his cave in New Mexico writing. And that’s assuming that all he does is fly there the day before, go to the event, and leave the day after. Which we all know he won’t so, so another week goes by with him doing zero writing. Awesome.

19. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

I’m guessing this is sarcasm?

A large wall in the far north, with wild tribes living beyond it. Though a simplistic comparison, it’s hard to see the Wall as inspired by anything but Hadrian’s (or the Antonine) wall.

In any case, I think you may have been joking. GRRM is rather obvious and unsubtle about his historical references (including Wildfire/ Greek fire, among others), so we can agree there!

20. Stannisthemannis
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

Great Wall of China would be more apt comparison than Hadrian’s wall since it wasn’t meant to keep people out in the first place unlike the Great Wall of China.

21. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

Something is afoot! Must be really juicy! Actually, it is VERY juicy because I already know.

Or maybe it’s casting news. But it isn’t!

22. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Strider:

I would make a great mod here. Too bad those positions don’t open up very often.

23. Kabhal
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

dtones520:
    NewJeffCT,

It is awesome. It’s his life and he can do what he wants with it.

Do I hope he finishes the series? Sure. But far more than that I hope he gets to enjoy the fruits of his labor and success and that seems to be exactly what he’s doing. So good for him.

He has a life beyond the fiction he writes so why not just be thankful for what we’ve enjoyed so far from him and hope there’s more to come? Really that’s all you can do anyway. :) I don’t get why you’d hate the guy that has brought you so much entertainment just because he isn’t pounding away at his keyboard every waking second of his life. It’s ridiculous.

24. Strider
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Hah! you’d suck something fierce Mr. Sprite as a mod on wic. And you wouldn’t want it anyway. You are so biased against Martin the man, they’d ban your mod ass in 3 min flat for strong language against some posters lol.

25. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Strider,

MISANDRY! HELP! HELP! I NEED A MOD!

26. Jaqen is Q
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

This is escalating quickly…

27. jentario
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

I heard Wintress Cummings is being cast as an abandoned old lady that everyone used to like in GoT season 5.

28. Lightbringer
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Can I source you on that? ;)

Everyone is welcome to talk about our loss today. Just keep the moderation policy in mind, and try not to put your toes too close to the line.

I’m personally pretty bummed about it, but I will march on.

29. Tatters
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Talk about typical

30. jentario
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer,

Sorry LB, and good luck

31. Flora Linden
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer,

What loss today are you speaking of?

32. 5mash
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer:
    jentario,

Can I source you on that? ;)

I’m personally pretty bummed about it, but I will march on.

He says in response to a comment that apparently got edited or deleted?

33. 5mash
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink
  34. Lightbringer
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

5mash,

*She

35. hip 2 b square
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

I’m starting to hope Mr Martin passes away before completing the books just so it pisses off the jonny-come-lately GoT fans who keep moaning he is wasting time, not writing fast enough, etc. I read the first book back in 2000 so Ive unfortunately become accustomed to waiting. Besides, why bitch if it won’t accomplish anything anyway? It will get done when it gets done. Or it wont.

36. Strider
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Drama queen. Hugs to you. (Ry’s kind)

Lightbringer,

Good luck to you and whoever will fill in the mod spots :)

I’d say always support the bottom. But somehow I always associated the site with them and Phil too. And I just don’t feel right typing it right now. Maybe later. Hope springs eternal.

37. Flora Linden
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

5mash,

Thanks for the link.

Lightbringer, my sympathies. Hang in there.

38. Tywin Shot First
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

hip 2 b square,

You hope the author dies to make all the nay-sayers mad. Nice.

39. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Strider,

I know all about Ry’s hugs. And, while I am excited at the offer, I don’t think you possess the necessary equipment.

40. Rygar
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

My hugs come with …. Oh forget it. Adios Sapitos.

41. Tywin Shat First
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite:
    Strider,

Rygar isn’t particularly choosy about the equipment of the huggee, actually.

42. Strider
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

F.A.K.E.

43. James Shaker
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

He was introduced like Apollo Creed. All he needed was the America flag top hat. I don’t understand how he can continue doing interview after interview, answering the same questions and telling people the book will be done when it’s done. We got it, George. Now how about finishing the beloved, super-popular series you created 20 years ago, and save the interviews for TWoW promotion.

44. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Strider,

PERFECT! Fake ones are more than acceptable.

45. Ros' Merkin
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I wish Fury, FaB and Oz the best of luck with their next endeavor. It must have been tremendously hard to cut ties. It feels like the last bastion of the old WiC has abandoned ship. I hope they learn from what’s gone wrong here and create something amazing.

46. Sparkleybright
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,
    I don’t think about his death, I’m just afraid I’m going to die before he finishes the books. :(

47. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Sparkleybright,

That’s not a post I’d expect from someone named Sparkleybright with the cutie-patootie avatar.

Buck up, little camper. Should you go tits up before the books are done, you ain’t missing shit judging from the samples released so far.

Now, turn that frown upside down!

48. Ross
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

5mash: http://tumblrofthrones.tumblr.com/tagged/WiCnet

Er, wha….?? Why isn’t there a separate post on this? Or is it a ‘sweep it quietly under the carpet’ situation? I think the least they deserve for helping to create this site (and therefore provide FanSided with a new revenue stream), is a goodbye post.

Well, good luck to both teams of people. Ultimately my loyalty will lie with where the best quality content, and the best quality of conversation is. Which brings us (not very) nicely back to the topic of insulting Mr Martin and / or talking about his death….

49. House Mormont
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

You clearly haven’t seen Hadrian’s Wall, it’s about the height of a fence or a hedge, not to mention it’s miles away from the Scottish border, you have the wrong impression, the only thing it has in common is that it’s a wall so don’t be an ignorant ass

There’s 4 or 5 castles where I live that were used to defend against the Scottish, but they’re waaaay north of Hadrian’s ego boost

50. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Ross: Er, wha….??Why isn’t there a separate post on this?Or is it a ‘sweep it quietly under the carpet’ situation?I think the least they deserve for helping to create this site (and therefore provide FanSided with a new revenue stream), is a goodbye post.

I can’t wait to see the Curtain Call post for the departing Gang of Four. We had some good times. Some bad times. But mostly good times. They helped make this site a decent place.

Really, a Curtain Call for them would be a classy way to let us say goodbye to our treasured internet friends.

51. Strider
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Who’s writing it? Fansided?

52. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Hell, I’d write it. But it’s gonna cost big time. I don’t think they can afford me.

53. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Stannisthemannis:
    ArgonathofBraavos,

Hadrian built the wall for a number of reasons, including as a border between the northern edge of Roman governance and the tribes beyond it (mainly Pictish, during the time of Hadrian). He wasn’t necessarily interested in keeping Picts OUT of Roman Britain, but he was interested in making it clear that peoples “south of the Wall” were governed by the “light” of Rome, while those north of the Wall were still submerged in pre-Roman darkness. As someone else suggested, it was almost a propaganda statement. Look at us, behind our great wall of stone, in our Roman villas with hot baths! And look at the wretches in the forests and highlands beyond! Who would you rather live under? So in that sense, you are partly right that the Wall wasn’t solely, or even primarily, intended as a means of keeping the northern tribes out (for in general, the Romans weren’t particularly worried about them).

But the Wall of ASOIAF was also not originally meant to keep wildlings out, but to keep out the White Walkers, and the “darkness” of the North (even if that was primarily a psychological effect in the Roman case). So the parallel is stronger than you think, IMO.

Also, Hadrian’s Wall was indeed manned, and where it was fully manned, did act as a deterrent. It was, in part, designed to regulate (as much as possible) the movement of people southwards (and to a lesser degree, northwards). But it’s value was primarily propagandic, I would agree.

So as I said, the comparison is simplistic. GRRM was simply inspired by Hadrian’s Wall – he wasn’t copying its characteristics entirely.

But as a psychological barrier between north and south, between civilization and barbarism, between the “light” of Rome/the “light” of the Seven Kingdom and the “darkness” of the world beyond the Wall, they play a similar role. Both walls are a sort of “membrane” between familiar reality and the unfamiliar unknown, where the “Others” walk.

I think you’re looking at a few trees, and not the forest… Just because you know the historical complexity of Hadrian’s wall (as do I), it doesn’t follow that the Wall in ASOIAF doesn’t share certain non-literal similarities to that Wall. GRRM was inspired by it, that’s all.

54. Kabhal
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

5mash: http://tumblrofthrones.tumblr.com/tagged/WiCnet

Well that’s disappointing. (to put it mildly)

55. Cumsprite
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Stannisthemannis got served. Or was it House Mormont? Anyone keeping score?

56. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    ArgonathofBraavos,

I spent 5 years in Carlisle, so spare me the insults. I have been to Hadrian’s Wall over twelve times, and visited the Antonine Wall twice.

The degree to which people are only capable of thinking in the most literal, narrow sense is mind-boggling to me. The size of GRRM’s Wall vs. the size of Hadrian’s Wall are beside the point! It’s the context clues which tell you that they are related. The “civilized” sedentary kingdoms south of the Wall. The often red-haired barbarians north of the Wall. The landscape of both (look at the similarities in maps of northern England/ Scotland and northern Westeros). The concept of a dark “faery” north, with giants and unknown beasts lurking, vs. the comfortable and real “civilized” south. The warmer climate of the south as compared to the frigid north. Not to mention that the modern Scottish border is a modern border, and has little to do with the extent of Pictish and/or “Scotti” habitation in the north (and of course, there was no Scotland or England during Hadrian’s time…). But I won’t repeat myself. See my previous post. As I said, GRRM was inspired by it, not replicating it 1-1. I just thought that inspiration was blindingly obvious. GRRM has in a sense “mythologized” Hadrian’s Wall, or turned its psychological value in Roman times into a “litera” value, in the form of an actual massive wall that keeps out actual Northern monsters.

I really did think you were being sarcastic, and didn’t mean to offend. I was under the impression that you were poking fun at GRRM, but now realize I was wrong. My apologies.

57. Sister Wrister
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Glad I never picked a fight with that guy.

Oh wait, I did……. :)

58. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I’m really not that frightening in real life. :-)

59. Paula Myo
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer,

There’s a moderation policy?

60. Cumsprite
    Posted July 23, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Paula Myo,
    Apparently, one of the rules is to delete any Martin-bashing posts.