Maisie Williams promises more revenge for Arya in Season 5, hopes to keep surprising book readers
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Season 4 of Game of Thrones brought about a number of surprises for not only fans of the television series, but book readers alike. Additional scenes, and diversions from the written story were plentiful, sometimes to great delight, and sometimes to dismay. Looking ahead to Season 5, it’s safe to say we’re in for some more surprises.

In a new interview with TV Line, Maisie Williams says that even the actors are left in the dark about some of the finer details of their story until the last minute, and that she hopes the show continues to shock all of its viewers.

Maisie reveals that although she’s been filled in on an interesting development for Arya, she doesn’t know how it’s going to happen, and that’s usually how it is.

“I know a couple of really cool things happen in the books with Arya, and I just had a meeting about about a certain thing that happens to Arya, but I still don’t know how it happens. And that’s what it was like last year; I was learning fight scenes, even though I didn’t know who I’d be fighting or why I’d be fighting them. People think the cast members know all the ins and outs, but we really don’t.”

With not a lot of existing source material left, and the potential for additional scenes, no one can say for sure exactly what Season 5 has in store for Arya. Maisie admits that she’s all for going off the books, and giving the audience a bit of a shock. “I’d love to do something completely new… I’d love to keep making the book readers go, “Wait, is that what’s going to come in the next book? Did they make that up completely?” I love it when we do something really dramatic and shock everyone. They should throw in more stuff that no one knows about.”

Whatever is ahead for Arya, Maisie believes that she’s going to be just fine. “I think, for the first time ever, she actually believes she’s going to be fine. It’s refreshing to me; this girl’s been pulled left and right by people who’ve been telling her what she’s going to do with her life, and she’s sick of it. She knows this world, she knows who to trust and she’s ready to go off on her own.”

Although she has gone off on her own, and has the opportunity for a fresh start, Arya won’t be forgetting her list of names. Maisie reaveled to io9 at Comic-Con that “Arya’s one of those people who will forgive, but she will never forget. And we’ll see a lot more of the revenge that she takes on people who have hurt her in the coming season.”

In her interview with TVLine, Maisie takes a bit of revenge of her own on book readers who like to spoil fans of the television show. Maisie says that she particularly enjoyed the massive reaction over a certain missing scene in the Season 4 finale, because it kept book readers guessing.

“That was a massive deal, but honestly, I really like it. I’m so sick of going on the internet and seeing all the book readers being snobby, spoiling it for other people, then saying, “Well, it’s not a spoiler. The books have been out for years.” Like, couldn’t you just stop being mad for a second and let other people enjoy the show? They feel they have a claim on the series because they read the books first, and I understand that, but they don’t need to be mean about it. That’s why I liked moments like this, because book readers think they know what’s coming, then we change it and it’s really funny to watch their reactions.”

For Maisie’s full interview with TV Line, click here, and for Maisie’s interview with io9, as well one with Isaac Hempstead-Wright from Comic-Con, click here.

1. Kim =)
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Yay!

2. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Go ahead people, say she wants to ruin the books lol

3. JTargs
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Hmm.. sounds like shes kind of assuming that the show is the main attraction and the books are just kind of spoilery supplements :/

4. Dammit Patrice
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

JTargs,
    Sounds like you should take the sand off of your vagina.

5. acatlover
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Translation: She found out she’ll be going blind, but doesn’t know why yet.

6. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Hmm – I hope for Blind Beth…

7. DanielHimalia
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

JTargs,

Or maybe, just maybe, she’s saying what needs to be said… the book purists need to lose their smugness and accept that “Game of Thrones,” the television series that reaches countless millions more viewers than the books have readers, is about to go off on its own. Which is fine, lets the story develop at the pace its producers want it to, and has zero impact upon book readers’ love of the books.

8. Ozymandias
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

“because book readers think they know what’s coming, then we change it and it’s really funny to watch their reactions.”

No it’s not, 99% of the time.

9. valar morghulis
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

First British Airways… now book readers… who’s next on her list?

10. fiu
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Maisie complain that Book readers spoiling story, and at the same time spoiling about Arya storyline in the show? Seriously Maisie, seriously?

11. patchface
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

She’s such an annoying little brat. First of all Maisie, I don’t want to be surprised. I want to see the stories I love on screen.

Second, ASOIAF bookreaders have been praised multiple times for not spoiling the show. Personally, I never spoil it for others. I think she needs to shut up. She’s only 17 but she talks as if she is the smartest person on Earth.

12. word
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

patchface,

She’ll be eating her words and wishing they had stuck to the books come next year when she’s 18 and D$D are putting all those naughty scenes in there. If she doesn’t agree to them they’ll just recast or worse. Have fun being mouthy kid.

13. Lightbringer
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

If you’re not a book reader who nonchalantly spoils things for casual viewers, she wasn’t talking about you, no need to get offended and insult a 17 year old girl.

As far as her enjoying everyone being surprised once in a while, I personally do enjoy being on the receiving end of those surprises. The White Walker reveal and The Hound vs. Brienne were some of the best moments of the season.

I don’t think she was referring to Arya going blind, since that happens in the books and she probably does know exactly how it happens. I’m leaning more towards the rumor that Tom Wlaschiha is returning as Jaqen H’gar. She may have been told she’ll be working with him again, but doesn’t know how they’re going to work it in yet, since they’re probably trying to keep it under wraps if he is in fact returning.

14. Frédéric Sinclair
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

I’m part of the #StoneheartArmy

15. Armsbendback
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Everyone has their favorite scenes from the books. The books are enormous. All those who want to see their favorite scenes and have the show done completely faithful to the books, should start working on their financing and make it happen.

16. King Stannis
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

word:
    patchface,

Like GRRM didn’t write Arya around naughty stuff. Sure buddy, whatever makes you feel butthurt. Thanks for exposing yourself as one of the snob book readers. Have fun being. Whiner every season kid

17. think it through
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Armsbendback,

HBO holds all the rights. So I’d rather not get sued into oblivion.

18. direkrikit
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Lightbringer,
    Thank you! I knew people wouldn’t respond well to her comments – ’cause everyone believes the world revolves around them and seem to look for any opportunity to be offended.

I, too, like the surprises as it takes me out of “comparison” mode and actually into the show.

19. King Stannis
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

patchface:
    She’s such an annoying little brat.First of all Maisie, I don’t want to be surprised.I want to see the stories I love on screen.

Second, ASOIAF bookreaders have been praised multiple times for not spoiling the show.Personally, I never spoil it for others.I think she needs to shut up.She’s only 17 but she talks as if she is the smartest person on Earth.

The spoilers were everywhere from Websites, Youtube and Social media. Any article of GOT or Trailers had them and snobby book readers response was always “Should have read the book”
    Pathetic. I read all the books and tried very hard not to spoil anything for friends and family and almost all of them caught a spoiler because some people feel like they are mighty by knowing the story. Maisie has a point and if anyone is overreacting or upset about her comment then I guess you revealed yourself as one of those idiot fanatics some of us in the ASOIAF series cannot stand because you make this fandom look annoying.

I love my books but I also understand there’s a show happening and things can be different in that form of art

20. Ysen
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Really Maisie?

21. Valyrian Eyes
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

This fandom NEVER fails to disappoint hauahauahhahahahahahhahaha you go Maisie, let them smash their keyboards lol

22. Wilson Wilson
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I was a book reader first, but it depresses me that some others seem to think that the only valid production of the series is one which completely matches their own imagination of what it should be, with the very difference or absence automatically making it inferior and I’m pretty sure that is what Maisie is referring to.

And why shouldn’t a 17 year old girl have her say and opinion, so long as interviewers keep asking the questions? Are we in the 19th century where young women are supposed to be seen and not heard? I don’t always agree with what she says but she is articulate and interesting and thinking hard about the character, her role and this production. Better that than some unthinking robot going through the motions for the pay cheque. Certainly she has more interesting things to say than so much that gets posted on the internet by supposed and “mature” adults ;)

Sophie and Isaac are for sure coming across as a little more mature but we all grow up at different rates, so just ease up on the personal slights, and don’t read/listen to her interviews if they annoy you that much.

Also while I was disappointed not to see “weasel soup” it was more than made up for by the “surprise” of Tywin vs Arya :)

23. jjp
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

word,

Well, if the last scene of ep 4.1 vs. the “Mercy” chapter is any indication, D&D are cutting Arya’s “naughty scenes” and keeping the rest, if anything.

24. Insomnia333
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Ysen,

What you’re saying she can’t warn people that the best way to avoid spoilers is to not go on the net, while at the same time trash the people that post said spoilers? Neither position seems to conflict with the other.

Also in slightly off topic news. She appears to be the first choice to play Ellie in the upcoming “The Last of Us” movie. Link

25. Dick Grayson
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

Didn’t sound very butthurt… sounded more likely getting ready for the exposé.

26. Lightbringer
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Ysen,

Just pointing out that Mockingbird aired on May 18, and she tweeted on June 9. If you’re three weeks behind on Game of Thrones and don’t want to be spoiled, you probably should stay off the internet, especially Twitter.

27. Bryan
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Wow, some of you need to chill haha.

28. Ruthie
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

jjp,

More than killing Raff happened in Mercy so equating it to 4.1 (like that’s suppose to indicate anything) is weak. Events in chapters get chopped up and rearranged for the show. Which still leaves chance for that weak bit or show-invented scenes of full on nudity.

29. monsieurxander
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

She’s right. Even last week’s casting announcement quickly devolved into “that’s not how it is in ZE BOOKS!!”

The show should be judged on its own merits. Here’s this lavish production with amazing characters and thought-provoking scenarios, the most popular and widely praised show in the world, and we can’t even talk about it without it immediately becoming a discussion about adaptation.

“How dare they leave out [complicated and unnecessary story element that requires too much build-up with not enough payoff] when they clearly have enough time for [five minute subplot that fits perfectly into the show's framework]!

30. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

You might have to take a look at your life if you’re offended by the cheeky remarks of a 17-year old girl during an obscure interview about a TV show. Even if the omission of the scene in question hit you like a freight train, why do you get so worked up over something a teenaged actor said?

C’mon, neckbeards. You should have thicker skins than this!

31. jjp
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Ruthie,

Well Raff was obviously the big event for that chapter. Of course it indicates nothing with certainty, but it’s a much stronger indication of things to come than random speculation that *maybe* D&D will add nude scenes.

32. King Stannis
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

monsieurxander:

Don’t forgot the plot holes and arbitrary time-and-distance issues.

33. maturin
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

ahahaha a big middle finger from Maisie to all the douchebag purists.

Maisie, Je t’aime!

34. Annara Snow
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

maturin:
    ahahaha a big middle finger from Maisie to all the douchebag purists.

Maisie, Je t’aime!

I didn’t know “purists” meant “people who like to post spoilers”. I thought those were two completely different things…

35. Renly's Peach
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

As a book reader, I don’t know if I can take any more “surprises”, Maisie..

36. Jeez really?
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

There are dicks on both sides, but having Maisie joining a side(either side) is not helpful in trying to fix this issue. If anything can be extrapolated from just the comments here is she is only stirring the fire. #whatahypocrite

37. Tyene
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Yeah, because this thread isn’t proving her point exactly. This fandom is full of obnoxious fans who are smug and screech at any change. Frankly, I!d also be annoyed if I were an actor on this show and others kept pressing me about things I had no control over like D&D’s directions.

Really, this fandom is getting bent out of shape over a teenage girl’s harmless comments. Honestly, grow up this isn’t a personal slight. The show is it’s own animal now and the actors aren’t obligated to be loyal to the text or the book fandom.

38. Valdred Dethstorm
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Came here to see the butthurt. Wasn’t disappointed.
    Way to go, you guys. Keep picking on Maisie Williams. Keep proving her right.

39. Easteros Bunny
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

This is insane, book purists being buillies by the TV purists. How about both sides get over themselves and enjoy the books and show respectively.

40. monsieurxander
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

King Stannis: Don’t forgot the plot holes and arbitrary time-and-distance issues.

I’m unaware of any major, immersion-breaking plot hole or inconsistency within the show.

Any time someone tries to point one out, it almost always attempts to use material from a completely separate version of this fictional story as its basis.

And even then, it’s usually something minor blown out of proportion, and not to mention a streeeetch, almost as if the person in question just wants something to be wrong with the show.

41. Argonath of Braavos
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I’m a book firster who loved the books, but thinks the TV show is of a much higher quality, comparatively speaking. There are not many people on my boat, but the view is great!

42. xmas
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

monsieurxander,

Having Shae saying she would go so far as to kill for Sansa (multiple instances) then throws her under the bus in the trial. Petyr being able to teleport miles to different locations within the same episode. Yara’s magical boat trip around the whole continent (which would take much more time to travel via the course she states in the show) to get her brother… only turn around when facing off against a foe who doesn’t wear armor because he takes a time out in a battle to say he is going to let some dogs out of a cage. Time enough she could just chopped his arm off. The goofy idea they would send Jorah two pardon letters. Need more?

43. sloosh
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

The “the books have been out for years” line is the worst. It’s like a conversation saying:

“Hey, I think I’m finally gonna watch Bambi, I’ve never seen it.”
    “Oh, it’s so sad when Bambi’s mom dies.”
    “No spoilers!”
    “Sorry, the film has been out for 70 years. You should have seen it by now.”

I got the chance to interview Michelle Fairley two years ago and we talked about how good the book fans were for keeping the Red Wedding secret. But last year there were TV plot spoilers everywhere. What happened to Thronie Code?! (Yeah, I made that up… but you get it, right?)

44. Mike
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

xmas:
    monsieurxander,

Having Shae saying she would go so far as to kill for Sansa (multiple instances) then throws her under the bus in the trial. Petyr being able to teleport miles to different locations within the same episode. Yara’s magical boat trip around the whole continent (which would take much more time to travel via the course she states in the show) to get her brother… only turn around when facing off against a foe who doesn’t wear armor because he takes a time out in a battle to say he is going to let some dogs out of a cage. Time enough she could just chopped his arm off. The goofy idea they would send Jorah two pardon letters.Need more?

xmas,

…yes. Because none of those are plot holes or inconsistencies unless you make unwarranted assumptions about the passage of time.

45. ash
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Argonath of Braavos,

I’ll be glad to be aboard your boat. I’ll bring the books…..

I am a book reader. I do honestly know what it is like to see a favorite book adapted to hell (I’m looking at you Wicked) But I do understand that there are things that books can do that film cannot and vice versa. Its been fun seeing how both media approach the story from their individiual strength. And I happen to think that the show right now is just where it needs to be, as are the books. Looking forward to next season and the next book; maybe then you guys will let a 17 year old girl express an opinion without thinking its all about you! Get over yourselves and as D&D said at comic con, grow up!

46. Lacey
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Maisie definitely could have worded that better, but i can understand her frustration at show only watchers getting spoiled. by phrasing it, “all the book readers being snobby,” she set herself up. It made her saying she liked seeing the book readers being surprised sound really vindictive when I don’t think she meant it that way.

47. xmas
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

Mike,

unwarrented assumptions? No. Look at a map(even just the intro credits map), as well characters giving distance measurements many time through out the show… emphasizing distances are relevant. Here… “A plot hole, or plothole is a gap or inconsistency in a storyline that creates a paradox in the story that cannot be reconciled with any explanation. These include such things as illogical or impossible events, and statements or events that contradict earlier events in the storyline.” All the instances I mentioned.

48. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

ash:
    Argonath of Braavos,

I’ll be glad to be aboard your boat.I’ll bring the books…..

I’ve got a few ragged copies of books 1-3. You want to bring 4 and 5? :-)

49. monsieurxander
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

xmas,

The show rarely discusses distances and travel times in concrete terms. You’re talking about characters traveling an indeterminate number of miles over an indeterminate amount of time in a fictional world. It really seems like you’re reaching into the deep background to find reasons to dislike the show, instead of focusing what’s actually on screen. Forest for the trees, man.

50. James
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

You say Arya doesn’t have a lot of material left in the book which is BS. She EASILY has one busy season worth of material and does not need any new scenes added.

51. FictionIsntReal
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

word:
    patchface,

My understanding is that tv standards don’t merely depend on the age of the actors but also on the characters they are supposed to be portraying.

52. xmas
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

monsieurxander:
    xmas,

No, I’m not. The land is mapped out and thus distances are not indeterminate. As well they show maps during the show (not just the opening credits even) and discuss distances/lands/travel often. Pay attention to the timeline of events versus where characters are/were, you will notice the discrepancies. It’s not about TRYING to find reasons to dislike the show it’s about noticing the flaws that easily stick out.
    Also if you’re going to use “in a fictional world” as a counter point, it would best serve for a fictional world which hasn’t already established time and distances. I mean otherwise if those things were actually indeterminate then Robb’s crusade to free his father was null… as distance was a contributing factor he failed to make it there in time.

53. Missandei is 10
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

FictionIsntReal,

My understanding (especially with this show) is it’s all about ratings not about characters.

54. debbie
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I love genre TV but find many in the fandom puzzling. Every word that comes out of the actor/creators mouths are parsed, and misunderstood, and seen thru biased eyes, and often totally blown out of proportion. (This is also happening in the Doctor WHO fandom because of some COMPLETELY benign comments made by Peter Capaldi). It’s surprising actors even agree to get interviewed, and its more surprising that fans don’t get told to fuck off more often.

Do you need Maisie Williams validation of how you enjoy ASOIAF? Well, you sure as fuck don’t need mine, so I’ll get off my soap box.

55. Mike
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

xmas,

But there are NO travel times given. You are assuming that characters are traveling impossibly fast because you see them one place at one time and at a far away place at another time. You do not know how much time passed between those two events. You only see an inconsistency because you are assuming things about that time (that it is short) that is not supported by anything shown on screen.

56. house baratheon
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Wilson Wilson,

you can always tell a milford man… or woman in this case.

57. Kells
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

What to take from Maisie’s interview? This quote:

As someone who read the books after seeing Season 1 (and still, there are POV chapters I haven’t finished), there are few things as annoying in this fandom as people finger-wagging at other fans who haven’t read the books OR interpret scenes in a different way. I agree with a lot of book readers who complain about blatant omissions in character arcs or eliminating characters all together, especially when D&D fill precious minutes with mindless bullshit. But I think it’s important that fans of both the books and show view them as a loosely compatible pair. Even with surprises, and heartbreaking omissions, book readers are at an advantage.
    I was so pissed off at Sophie’s comment about Sansa using her sexuality to control Petyr. It still bugs because book!Sansa would’ve done anything but use her sex to gain control. I have let that beef simmer down because show!Sansa isn’t book!Sansa. Show Sansa has the privilege of being played by an 18 year old actress. Book Sansa is, well, still 14/15. The books are so rich in detail, history and characters, that even 20 episodes wouldn’t be enough to give us what we want.
    I am sure Maisie and co. are eager to do GRRM proud. These are his characters, his fictional world, but the cast loyalty has to go to HBO and D&D. This is who pays them, write’s the scripts and casts the show.

Now…I am done on with my speech but want to add that I will be forever pissed if they don’t bring Arianne onto the show. They want a true strong, bad ass, powerful (and she would be a perfect femme fatale trope) woman, they would have one with her. Okay, maybe not forever pissed but it would be a missed opportunity.
    And finally, when I said I was pissed at Sophie’s comment, I wasn’t mad at her. I am mad at what D&D might be doing with Sansa. Needed to say that because I am a Sansa fan and I know there are a lot of Sansa fans here.

58. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Missandei is 10:
    FictionIsntReal,

One of the best and most character-driven shows in TV history, and that’s your assessment? You have little idea of how lucky the ASOIAF fandom is. As a Tolkien fan, I got Peter Jackson’s crappy melodrama that stripped the stories of their nuance and beauty. You’re getting over 70 HOURS of great television. I would take the latter, any day.

59. Ser Pounce
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 12:06 am | Permalink

My older sister is the biggest book snob. She acts all snobby because she read the books back in 2001 and she is always getting pissy whenever my girlfriend calls Dany Kellysee. Its people like my sisters elitists mentality that makes me agree with Maisie and I do believe tv shows are made to appeal to a wider audience. I am really happy my friends get to experience the awesomeness of the fantasy genre because they used to think I was a weird kid who played too much legends of dragoon and final fantasy games,

60. Hodorkovski
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:18 am | Permalink

Kells:

[...]

Erm… D&D are (probably) basing “show!Sansa” on the discussions they’ve had with GRRM on each of the major characters’ arc, which have been referred to in a number interviews. They also have access to unpublished chapters.

So, it is likely book-Sansa will be heading the same direction in books 6 & 7.

61. Wilson Wilson
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:21 am | Permalink

Sure will be interesting if/when all TV storylines do overtake the books completely, with no original source material to compare it to, will everyone finally be forced to treat the show on its own merit?

Would be fun to see something get criticised as “GRRM would never do that” only for the book version to do the same thing ( if/when it gets published).

62. Hodorkovski
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Wilson Wilson,

Wilson Wilson:

That will entertaining. :D

Entitled book purist: I’m so pissed off at D&D fanficing all this pointless filler. Book-[insert character] would never do that!

2016: WoW comes out.

Entitled book purist: Oh look, GRRM wrote it just like D&D did. Anyway, I’m not going apologise or admit I was wrong.

63. Connelly
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:57 am | Permalink

Maisie seems like a really rude & nasty person. Comes across as cocky & entitled, as if a special snowflake.

First she threw a massive tantrum for BA, and now insults book readers. Not to mention she has never read the books and also left school just to become more famous. I feel bad for her parents. So many child stars become really trashy, i hope Maisie does not tread that path too or she may be another Lohan.

64. Ser Pounce
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:45 am | Permalink

Connelly,

The butthurt is strong with you. You are the one who sounds like an entitled little book gollum, maybe you need to grow up and not take a 17 year old girls opinions to seriously. I hope Maisie never hides her true feelings and it is nice to see actors telling mouth breathing whiners like you to eat a dick once in a while.

65. Wilson Wilson
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Connelly:

That description sounds like 75% of teenagers to be fair.

66. Sergei Walankov
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Yeah, except to every single person who’s ever met her. The braindead barbs of no-talent internet gimps are just the price of fame, I suppose.

67. kells
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Hodorkovski,

Yeah…but book readers do have the benefit of page after page of backstory and inner monologues to understand motivations. Show only fans do not, which is totally fine but where GRRM left off with Sansa’s chapters, I would be thrown for a massive loop if we had a 360 and Sansa decides “fuck it”, jumps on Petyr’s lap and decides to shag her way to salvation (or any variation of this!).
    Even friends who are show only fans responded to the Vamp Sansa reveal as “Wait. What? Where did this come from?”. Again, the benefit of reading the POV to see the progression is lost.
    I get that D&D are privy to a lot of TWoW material/ideas, I just hope the moves they make with the main characters don’t come out of left field. And I would be a bit bummed if they skipped a lot of Sansa’s interactions with Robert and “schooling” at the hands of Littlefinger. There is enough material for Sansa, if done well to show her actually become a player and not just a pretty prize, that they wouldn’t even have to travel into TWoW material.

68. pilar
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

xmas,

Mike,

Distance is in fact very important. You had one full season of Brienne and Jaime traveling from The river lands to kings landing, if that doesn’t give you the sense of a really long distance then you weren’t paying attention. Then you have one episode and sudenly Yara is in the north. You have Arya traveling for the entire season with the hound to reach with his aunt, but then again, Yara just magicly appears there. Jojen, Meera, Bran and Hodor are in the north, but until they cross the wall there goes another full season.
    Distance is very important in the mind of the creator of the story, that’s why it’s there in the first place. I do understand not everything can be put on a show, but at least respect the major plot lines and don’t deviate from them. I hated that Brienne and the hound fight, i know is a lot more of a show to have him die fighting than of an infected wound, but that’s what happens in that fucking world: You can be a fucking khal or you could be the fucking hound and you can die of an infected wound. They have cut so many fan favorites, and i understand that they have an ever growing cast of people and its very expensive, and all of that, but the first reason for the show to exist is the books were it’s based on. Lady Stoneheart story is pivotal to Brienne, Jaime, and Pod arc story. They’ve cuted all the Greyjoys, and they didn’t respect the phisical look of the sand snakes, something that is very in contact with their personalities. They’ve cuted Quentyn story arc, another important one.
    That’s it, i love the show and i love the books, but i would love it even more if they respected their source material. It’s like they are acting on a fan fiction of game of thrones.

69. TheImp'sNose
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

The way I feel, we are lucky that not only have some of our favorite stories been adapted into a television series, but it is a cultural phenomenon.
    The books are what they are, the show is what it is. They are two different versions of a story in an amazing world, and everyone is mature enough to relax and allow things to be. If you only want the book version, read the books and ignore the show, and vice versa. Personally, I am very glad I never expected a straight adaptation. It has made this whole remarkable GOT experience so much more enjoyable.

As for Maisie, she is a 17 year old girl. Calm down. Imagine how you as a 17 year old may react to the doubtless CONSTANT B.S. she has sent to her, relayed to her, shouted at her on the street. Eventually you would express your opinion and let the chips fall where they may. I thought she was perfectly reasonable in doing so. I would have been far less tolerant at 17.

70. King Stannis
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

xmas:
    monsieurxander,

Those are lame excuses. Boy o’ boy you people need to grow up. First episode of the show jamie and cercei are in kingsLanding, same episode they are at winterfell later. You know why?!? Because it’s a fucking show and nobody wants to see them traveling. Nobody wants to see Petyr traveling wasting film on him walking around, Read a book for that type of shit. I want an hour of entertainment when I watch a show.

Yes, Shae did say that but guess what…. That’s life! People say one shit and do another the next day, especially when they are angry.

Some of you have no common sense it’s so sad watch you guys bitch all the time about this show.

71. Aryakills
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Wilson Wilson,

75% seems a little low

72. Ronin
    Posted August 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Did they cast The Kindly Man yet?