Game of Thrones Season 5 filming at Portstewart Strand this week
By Lightbringer on in Filming, Production.

This week Game of Thrones Season 5 will be filming at Portstewart Strand, a two-mile long beach in Northern Ireland.

The first reports of familiar Thrones signage near the beach came late last week on Twitter, accompanied by a sighting of actor Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. After a quiet weekend, filming is back in gear today, and will continue for the rest of the week. Many fans tried to get a look at the set today and have shared their findings on social media.

There is plenty of crew around, as well as horse trailers, and check out that scenery.

Some managed to snap some far away pictures of filming. The first appeared to be Jaime Lannister and several guards filming on top of a dune.

An Instagram user also snapped a shot of riders along the shoreline, and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau getting into a car with a rather colorfully costumed person in the foreground.

There also appeared to be a small tent set left unattended.

As noted in one of the signs above, public access to the beach will be restricted on August 6th and 7th. Causeway Coast News confirmed this in an announcement over the weekend, stating that visitors to the beach may be inconvenienced between the 4th and 11th due to a filming production, and that on the 6th and 7th there would be no public access. Fans today reported that they were being kept quite far away from the filming, but it seems that on Wednesday and Thursday security will be extra tight, hinting that an important scene will be taking place.

In other cast news, the men of the Night’s Watch probably stuck out like a sore thumb while walking around together in Belfast over the weekend, as they were spotted by a number of fans. This marked the first sightings of Ben Crompton and Owen Teale near the set, and they were also joined by Indira Varma for drinks!

Dean-Charles Chapman revealed on Twitter today that he has arrived back in Belfast, and that he’s once again sporting the signature Lannister locks.

1. Lordy Lord
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Big Nick Williams is Ulster Rugbys number 8. Massive celeb over in these here parts himself.

2. TorbofThrones
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Jaime going to Dorne confirmed?

3. Yoosteen Bose
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

In wondering if they are filming some greyjoy stuff…they haven’t revealed everything, but to hear they finally added Aeron, Victarion, and Euron would be cool. I suppose they would rewrite the story a tad. I still don’t understand why we even had that useless Asha scene. It was built up as such a cool battle with the nastiest pyke had to offer. Then we got Ramsay (shirtless!) beating the tar out of armored Vikings. Post sex. I don’t care how tough you are. Nobody is beatin’ anybody up after sex. Your energy is sapped and your testosterone is down. Anyway….here’s hoping we see all the greyjoy awesomeness of feast and dance.

4. Livewire
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

That is 100% not kingsguard being filmed. It might be Nikolaj, can’t be sure from some distance, but there is no white cloak, or golden armour. That is some basic soldiers, pretty basic dress, and the skirting looks nothing like kingsguard. It’s also colours i only remember seeing in Renly’s army. So maybe the Dornish are wearing a sandy/yellow type armour? Or perhaps some baratheon men are making an appearance. Either way, I can be certain it’s not Kingsguard.

5. Lightbringer
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Livewire,

The person who snapped the far away picture did believe it to be the Kingsguard, but after seeing the new picture of Nikolaj getting into a car with a person clearly dressed in some colorful yellow garb standing in front of it, I definitely agree. I’ve amended the post!

6. RD
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I was there today. Jamie and Bronn are filming in the dune system today and both have stunt doubles in same clothes, Jamie with an opened purple riding jacket and Bronn in normal attire. There are also 6 guards, who I think may be Dornish men (the yellow uniform pictured above, these guys have turbans of sorts rather than helmets). They also have exotic looking spears which reminds of the ones used by Prince Oberyn. They had 4 dressed horses used by the possible Dornish men. Bronn was dualing one horsed soldier with a spear, while Bronn was on the ground with a sword. Looks like they will be filming in at least 2 other locations on the beach/dune system. May have a scene with a rowing boat of sorts and looks like a scene involving 3 horsemen riding into the ocean.

7. King Stannis
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Yoosteen Bose:
    In wondering if they are filming some greyjoy stuff…they haven’t revealed everything, but to hear they finally added Aeron, Victarion, and Euron would be cool.I suppose they would rewrite the story a tad.I still don’t understand why we even had that useless Asha scene.It was built up as such a cool battle with the nastiest pyke had to offer.Then we got Ramsay (shirtless!) beating the tar out of armored Vikings.Post sex.I don’t care how tough you are.Nobody is beatin’ anybody up after sex.Your energy is sapped and your testosterone is down. Anyway….here’s hoping we see all the greyjoy awesomeness of feast and dance.

I don’t know about you but when I’m done having sex, I feel like the fucking man and walk around like god. Perhaps you should get in shape there…

8. Arya Stark
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

lol jaime in dorne is going to be so awful

9. King Stannis
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Arya Stark,

Like Jamie in the Riverlands post Tywins death was spectacular! Not!

10. Aggelos Loukatos
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I’m seriously considering abandoning the series… I was never a purist, and I mostly liked the changes in the tv show, but this year it seems that the are completely moving away from the books material, which is what makes the show great in the first place! Too many differences next year: No Greyjoys, no Arianne Martell, no Lady Stoneheart, Trystane Martell becoming the heir to the throne of Dorne, Jaime going to Dorne, and Feast and Dance (about 2,000 pages of material) merged together into a single season. The possibility of spoilers from the Winds of Winter isn’t appealing to me either. Every single bit of news this year makes me even more estranged to Game of Thrones, and that hadn’t happened to me even once during the previous years…I hope I am wrong, but I have a very bad feeling about season 5.

11. HMmm
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

So after Arys left with Myrcella (you can spot him in the boat) in season2 do you think they mailed him the new Kingsguard uniform armor that can be seen in season4?

12. Blind Beth
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Now I know I’m a total show convert. My first and only reaction to this is “Jamie and Bronn dueling guards on a beach?? Awesome!!!” Can’t wait to see this on the show!

13. slayjoy
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Aggelos Loukatos:

Lol @ these type of posts. Abandoning the series? Even if they did a 180 and changed every plot line from the books (and I AM a book purist), it’s still an exceptionally made show and extremely enjoyable. In fact, we’ll always have the books, and the upcoming books… and I love to see what the showrunners can do with the characters in different situations. Makes it more exciting at certain times (Brienne vs Hound was my favorite part of the finale.. did it change anything long term in the show vs books? absolutely not).

14. King Stannis
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Aggelos Loukatos:

I respect your decision. I can tell you’re not a purist, I can always tell which are as I call them snobby whiners on this site.

I have found myself scratching my head on some of the changes between the books and show but I also understand why it is done that way.

It is no secret that some things work better reading it in a book as to watching it on screen, especially when you have a budget and a time set to do things. I’m sure we will see more of the Greyjoys, I’m willing to bet anyone. There’s unfinished stuff there on the show and the smartest thing to do is in bring them on later. You do not want to overwhelm the audience with too many new characters added on top of an already large cast.

Lady Stoneheart? Well… Could possibly be introduced later. She does not “Have” to show up at the end of season 4. If she’s cut it wouldn’t bother me, Starks being my favorite house i rather let the children be the focus of the story.

Arrianne… This one I’m iffy about. I really want her to be on the show. I love her in the books but I’m not going to scream bloody murder and start whining and having bitch-made blood pumping through my veins about it.

My real concern is Young Griff. That’s someone they need to keep a big hush about. It will determined if he’s the real deal or not. If fake than he’s a waste of time on the books and show and could have done it without him.

If the changes bother you so much than I would say stop watching and enjoy your life. However, if you know the difference between a book and show than there’s nothing to worry about. My ASOIAF series will still be on my shelf. Game Of Thrones series will still be playing on my TV. Different ART forms buddy.

God forbid if they ever do a musical dancing performance of ASOIAF I don’t want to see the purist and whiners saying thats not how it goes.

15. LadyoftheNorth
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Saw the whole crew headed up there last night on the motor way – just on my way back from our GOT locations tour as well! lol

16. RosanaZugey
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Here’s what I’m not getting: why do people lose their minds, or devolve into mass hysteria, or have emotional meltdowns over episodes they haven’t even seen yet? People are making value judgements on S5 based on the horrors of their imaginations rather then what will actually be on the screen. At least wait till the episodes/seasons come out BEFORE you start decrying it as the worst thing to happen in all of human history!

I mean, I understand “disappointment” with certain things, don’t get me wrong. But good God! This preemptive hysteria is too much. To be honest, I’m glad they’re going a different route than the books not only because it keeps everyone guessing, but also because I don’t feel that they execute the major book scenes very well (i.e snow castle/only cat sequence, tywin/shae’s death, Cersei’s reaction to Joffrey’s death, the sept scene, etc). Now, I don’t know if that’s due to poor directing or because it didn’t match the scenes in my mind, but well, I consider the off-book things to be better executed (i.e. Arya/Tywin talks in S2, Brienne and the Hound fight, etc). Anywho, my point is…can we like…wait to actually SEE the season (in its context) before we become unhinged about it? Give it a chance. If it ends up as terrible as you thought, then at least you’ll have examples to back up your opinion. My bet, however, is that it won’t end up badly at all.

17. anabbloggin
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

I dunno, I might just postpone watching season 5 until Winds of Winter comes out. If they do change Jaime’s story that much I think I’d rather know the outcome in the books first, and then see D&D’s version.

Not saying one is better than the other, but in the end, it is Martin’s story, and I’d rather get Martin’s version first.

18. sayed hassan
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Aggelos Loukatos,

See you later !!! Enjoy the books , while we enjoy the Show !!1

19. Phil
    Posted August 4, 2014 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

If Jamie’s in Dorne it’s impossible to believe that he won’t be able to stop the Myrcella plot. I mean what else is he gonna be doing. I’m sorry, but I can’t see him in Dorne for 10 episodes, just hanging out and replacing Oakheart. Doesn’t make any sense. Oakheart was blinded to the plot due to his fling with Arianne. Even if one of the Sand Snakes is replacing her, they’re all way to young looking for Jamie, and I can’t believe he’d be in a relationship with any of them. If they didn’t want to do Oakheart, it should have just been Bronn in Dorne, not Jamie as well.

20. King Stannis
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Phil:
    If Jamie’s in Dorne it’s impossible to believe that he won’t be able to stop the Myrcella plot.I mean what else is he gonna be doing.I’m sorry, but I can’t see him in Dorne for 10 episodes, just hanging out and replacing Oakheart.Doesn’t make any sense.Oakheart was blinded to the plot due to his fling with Arianne.Even if one of the Sand Snakes is replacing her, they’re all way to young looking for Jamie, and I can’t believe he’d be in a relationship with any of them.If they didn’t want to do Oakheart, it should have just been Bronn in Dorne, not Jamie as well.

Jamie could still endup at the Riverlands. He’s gonna be quite busy I’m assuming. Different roads lead to the same castle sometimes. I can’t wait!!

21. Jonathan Fernandes
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 1:07 am | Permalink

Jaime and Bronn travel to Dorne with the remains of Prince Oberyn’s body and their condolences for his death. In the book its carried out by Ser Balon Swann but for television its probably going to be done with Jaime.
    There Jaime will meet and talk with Prince Doran,the Sand Sankes and sense the uprising in Dorne for the revenge for Elia’s murder and Oberyn’s death. Also there would probably be a scene with his niece (bastard daughter). This is all just be a build up to his Riverland adventures.

22. anabbloggin
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Jonathan Fernandes,

I thought this too, and I really hope this is them trying to use the Dorne bit to keep him busy while they work on Brienne’s story. They might skip on the Lancel bit, and other minor houses bit completely and jump onto the Tully dilemma straight away, and this isn’t something that would take very long.

So we’d get Brienne and Tarly, Brienne at Cracklaw point and then Brienne at the Trident and until then we get Jaime at Dorne handing in Oberyn’s body and maybe even Gregor’s head, him meeting Doran and the Snakes, and him seeing his daughter, and maybe even growing some paternal instincts? Then he is sent back to solve the Tully issue, or does so at his own inniciative as he feels he owes it to Cat. And then the scene that has tormented me until this day, Brienne comes for him, and they are gone.

I am hoping it’s like that, I wouldn’t mind that. :-)

23. biobi
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

slayjoy,

Read Brienne’s chapters in AFFC again

24. biobi
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Jonathan Fernandes:

Nope. Balon Swann brings something else to Dorne.

25. Randy
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

Fighting after sex is actually pretty animalistic. Been there, done that…. Adrenaline trumps testosterone every time. Especially when you’re nude and the guy coming at you has a butcher knife.

26. Beats By Dre
    Posted August 22, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Wow, that’s what I was exploring for, what a information! existing here at this website, thanks admin of this site.