Recently, we heard that Lucasfilm was planning to release five — count’em, five — Star Wars TV shows on Disney+ in the year 2024. Does that seem like content overload? A question for the Jedi Council. In any case, the shows on tap are:
- Star Wars: Skeleton Crew, a show about a group of kids and teens who get stranded in space and must find their way home.
- Star Wars: The Acolyte, a new show set some 200 years before the Star Wars prequel trilogy. This series will show us what the Jedi were doing at the height of their power as the Sith cause trouble.
- Star Wars: Andor season 2. This will be the final season of the surprisingly hard-hitting spy drama, starring Diego Luna as the titular rebel agent.
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch season 3. This is the final season of this animated series about a group of rogue clone troopers trying to carve out a place for themselves apart from the Empire.
- Tales of the Jedi season 2, another season in this animated anthology series about all things Jedi.
Of these shows, Andor is the one with the most buzz. The first season was excellent and fans are excited to see how the story wraps up. And that’s why many were upset when the Instagram account for Disney+ UK posted an image touting some of the exciting shows coming to the service in the new year; Andor did not appear on the list.
The Instagram post has since been deleted, adding another layer of intrigue. According to Games Radar, the caption read, “Here are just a few of the many reasons to look forward to 2024. All of these and more streaming soon on Disney+.” And here was the list:
- Extraordinary season 2
- Renegade Nell
- Cristóbal Balenciaga
- Marvel Studios’ Echo
- Marvel Studios’ Agatha: Darkhold Diaries
- FX’s The Bear season 3
- FX’s Shōgun
- FX’s Welcome to Wrexham season 3
- Star Wars: Skeleton Crew
- Star Wars: The Acolyte
There doesn’t seem to be much substance to this rumor. The subtitle for the post says, “Here are just a few of the many reasons to look forward to 2024,” implying that the list leaves off some shows. And it would have to: a lot of stuff comes out on Disney+ every year. Sure, I would have included Star Wars: Andor over whatever Renegade Nell is, but its absence from the list doesn’t imply absence from Disney+’s 2024 lineup.
Also, there are a lot of big shows left off this list, not just Star Wars: Andor but also The Bad Batch and Tales of the Jedi. There’s no X-Men ’97, no Ironheart, no Daredevil: Born Again and no Doctor Who season 14. They can’t fit everything in one post; some stuff had to be cut in the name of variety.
The most suspicious thing about this situation is the Disney+ Instagram account deleting the post, but that could have been done for any number of reasons. Until further notice, I’m considering this rumor quashed.