Three-Eyed Raven cast
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting.

Struan RodgerIt looks like a mysterious figure from beyond the Wall will be making an appearance on Game of Thrones in season 4. According to his agency resume, British actor Struan Rodger has been cast in the role of the Three-Eyed Raven.

The character (called the Three-Eyed Crow in the A Song of Ice and Fire novels) is connected to Bran Stark and his quest for understanding the visions that have come to the boy since he was pushed from the tower at Winterfell.

Rodger is a familiar face in British film and television, turning up in programs such as Chandler & Co., Rumpole of the Bailey, The Thick Of It, and Law and Order UK.  He memorably lent his voice to two episodes of Doctor Who as the Face of Boe. His film credit highlights include Kill List, Stardust, Young Adam, Chariots of Fire, Four Weddings and a Funeral, and The Madness of King George.

Ours is the Fury: I’m curious whether we’ll be seeing the human Raven in the flesh this season or if this will be an appearance in a vision, similar to how we met Jojen first in a dream.

1. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Looks amazing

Makes sense to have him in S4 since Brans story arc is the weakest so far.

2. Colty
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

He looks perfect. Can someone touch up that photo and add a missing eye and a red birthmark

3. direhound
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

So a thousand eyes and one?

4. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Even the title of the post might be a spoiler

5. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Maybe in a dream…but too soon for me!

They are announcing BR but not CH? Aaarrrggghhhhh!

6. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

:D

7. House Mormont
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

i always pictured him more withered and old but still almost regal looking, but there will be a LOT of prosthetics i guess
    very exciting i hope the role is expanded

8. Crozyr
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I am getting more and more afraid of how fast they moving through the material.

9. Watson
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Definitely glad they’re not going to try to soft-pedal Bran’s story for an entire season.

10. GeekFurious
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

This is becoming a major spoiler site with these article titles and unfiltered content.

11. Nezzer
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak:
    Even the title of the post might be a spoiler

Agreed. They should say who he is in the description only, after a spoiler warning.

12. Nick_Scryer
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Sweet! Can’t wait to see how much of him we’ll see this year.

13. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

For once I will defend her highness. I am not sure why this is considered a spoiler. Pretty sure Joey says he is taking Bran to meet him.

14. darkshot117
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Entire article and title is a spoiler… thanks a lot.

15. azad injejikian
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

SerCountryFriedSteak:
    Even the title of the post might be a spoiler

Oh yeah, welcome to Spoilerville y’all!

16. lol
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Bran, you are not alone.

17. House Mormont
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Oh and he kinda reminds me of Bill from Kill Bill? That might just be me

18. RoastMeMoRoastSnakz
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

This one needs more casting news

19. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Oh come on. Give me a fucking break. Any new casting for an upcoming season may be a fucking spoiler. Especially if its a character not previously mentioned. No one got all ape shit when they cast the Red Viper.

I’m the first to go looking to pick a fight but I think y’all need to chill. Its fucking happy hour in EDT. Cheers.

20. Nezzer
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    Oh come on.Give me a fucking break.Any new casting for an upcoming season may be a fucking spoiler.Especially if its a character not previously mentioned. No one got all ape shit when they cast the Red Viper.

I’m the first to go looking to pick a fight but I think y’all need to chill.Its fucking happy hour in EDT.Cheers.

I don’t think every non-reader expected the Three-Eyed Raven to be an actual person.

21. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Nezzer: I don’t think every non-reader expected the Three-Eyes Raven to be an actual person.

Heres a thought. Let them speak if so before carrying on about something that may not be true. I think its pretty clear in the SHOW the Reeds are taking Bran to someone who can mentor him.

Edit. Apologies. That seemed harsher than intended.

22. Greenjones
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Under directors it says various as well rather than just one, so he’ll have more than just a last-scene-of-Bran-in-the-season presence.

23. Andrew
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Yay! I always knew this character would show up this season, which is why I’d previously been so certain this was Mark Gatiss’ secret role until proven otherwise.

And how awesome is it that this guy gets to be both this AND the Face of Boe? It gets him an instant lifetime gig at fan conventions, that’s for sure! :)

24. WildSeed
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Wow… already, we’re at this point ? !

25. Nezzer
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Rygar: Heres a thought.Let them speak if so before carrying on about something that may not be true.I think its pretty clear in the SHOW the Reeds are taking Bran to someone who can mentor him.

Edit.Apologies. That seemed harsher than intended.

No need to apologize. I don’t feel insulted so easily :D

I think it would be more appropriate to call him “Bloodraven”. Non-readers would probably assume he’s just another new character they’ve never heard of, instead of this mysteryous “three-eyed raven” they heard so much about.

26. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Did people really expect Bran to wander around and do nothing for a couple of seasons? They said before season 3 that they were adapting the series as a whole and not just book by book. The casting of Tycho Nestoris and now Bloodraven is fine by me. Bran has had only 3 chapters in the past two books. The same goes for Arya(4 chapters) and Sansa(3 chapters).

27. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

Nezzer: No need to apologize. I don’t feel insulted so easily :D

Ah but you see , BR is a spoiler as it tells you who he really is….

Edit: and I see that the powers that be are in agreement with me. I’m buying the next round.

28. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

So, the show will pass the books by the end of the 4th season. This is good news.

29. arden
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Too bad there’s no unsullied even complaining about being spoiled.. but hey people need to bitch about something.

30. Nezzer
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

I don’t see any harm in it. That name was never said before in the show, and it doesn’t suggest anything. It’s not like saying “Aegon” was cast instead of “Young Griff”.

31. Alvis
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

He looks amazing.

32. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy,

In some areas. But they may still be on the 3rd book’s storyline at the Wall in season 5.

33. WildSeed
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy,

There isn’t a linear progression to these proceedings, the execs have forewarned
    those familiar with the book-source.

34. darkshot117
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

I’m currently a few chapters into Dance with Dragons (just started) and I was unaware this character was an actual person, I had no idea what it would be. So yes, it’s a spoiler, because it takes the name of a “character” we already heard about, and reveals what form it will take, other than simply a raven.

35. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Did people really expect Bran to wander around and do nothing for a couple of seasons? They said before season 3 that they were adapting the series as a whole and not just book by book. The casting of Tycho Nestoris and now Bloodraven is fine by me.Branhas had only 3 chapters in the past two books. The same goes forArya(4 chapters) and Sansa(3 chapters).

There is a lot of stuff they could do beforehand (and have already implied). The sky is the limit on Bran’s tale up north, imho, and doesn’t have to be “filler” and restricted to book content. A few scenarios are below:

1) Meet up with Coldhands and his elk during a wight fight.
    2) Craster’s Keep/Mutineer run-in & destruction
    3) Possible Benjen sighting (or clues)
    4) CotF meeting
    5) Run-in with giants, white walkers, starving wildlings
    6) Stuff for Summer to do (spying on mutineers, even Stannis’s army)
    7) Bran warging into Hodor, Summer and all over the place
    8) Prophesy and exposition
    9) Jojen getting injured
    10) Fleeing from the wight attack and entering the cave of BR during ep10 (please not before!)
    …..

36. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Oh and he kinda reminds me of Bill from Kill Bill? That might just be me

Nope. If David Carradine wasn’t deceased I would think the same.

He also looks like a slim Ser Rodrik. Did I spell that right?

37. Turncloak
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

There’s a typo in the article. “Three even raven” instead of three eyed Raven

38. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

darkshot117,

Yes but have you watched S3 in its entirety? Because its quite clear he is a person in the show. And this is a site dedicated to the show.

If you haven’t watched all of S3 then I would recommend skipping threads about S4.

39. tysnow
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Furthermore I doubt Bran will be in more than 5 or 6 episodes, they want to concentrate on Essos, Wall and Kings Landing story arcs which are the ones the casual viewers are most invested in. Arya will more than likely appear in 6 episodes too along with the Ironborn arc.

40. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Turncloak: There’s a typo in the article. “Three even raven” instead of three eyed Raven

Yeah, thanks, I fixed it a few minutes ago. That’s what I get for posting an article right before running off to make dinner. :)

41. House Mormont
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

tysnow,

agreed. Imagine an intense scene with a character backed into a corner with wights all around.. and a dead man riding a giant moose saves them all with an army of talking ravens

imo it would push people out of the story emotionally and detract from the realism

42. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

tysnow:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Perhaps….maybe a CGI opportunity (since no casting news)? If not, I’ll accept Seabiscuit.

House Mormont

:-)

43. WildSeed
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:

True. Revised scripts were inevitable, yet this one seems a bit too soon.
    I forget how long Barristen Selmy was absent ( since S1 ) until his anticipated
    reappearance , viewers were distracted by unfolding events, elsewhere. This
    decision may prove wise, to introduce the 3 Eyed Raven , just now or another
    character the production needs to explain in more detail, later. Marillion’s
    early departure comes to mind, as was Mance’s introduction and long absence.
    Whatever perspective the producers seem to take, the short or long of it will
    have us speculating as we do now. As the tidbits of preseason film production
    and whispers began to flow , we’ll have something to chew on. One thing
    for certain, the production has been quite selective with outgoing news for S4,
    compared to previous seasons. With a tight, possibly necessary, grip on casting
    roles for characters most fans anticipated by now ( Castle Black, etc ). I’m
    only slightly surprised at today’s announcement, but not really moved in any
    significant way…….. and the 3 Eyed Raven is one of my favourite characters.

44. WildSeed
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: off to make dinner.

Hodor’s Bastard: biscuit

It seems I’m feeling a bit peckish ! *U*

45. Team Pod
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Let me guess lemon cakes : ) Bon appetite

46. Team Pod
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

I didn’t plan to see BR this season but I don’t object I imagine he will only appear in the season finalie as a pay off for Bran and the audience ! after haveing watched Bran and Co s struggles beyond the wall .

47. Turncloak
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Many new viewer critics were complaining about Bran’s slog of a story last season. I’m happy we will see Bran make some legitimate progression this season. Dragging his trip to the three eyed crow for a third straight season would have been too much. Now we have just two seasons of Bran traveling which seems perfect. Assuming BR is seen in person and not ust a dream. They also graciously sped up Jaime’s arrival to Kings Landing last season if you recall

48. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:

Exactly.

49. Omar Brown
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard:
    Maybe in a dream…but too soon for me!

They are announcing BR but not CH?Aaarrrggghhhhh!

50. darkshot117
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Yep I’ve watched all of S3. Apparently I’m dense or something, because I never got the impression that they were implying this character was human. In my imagination I suspected it was some magical being or child of the forest or spirit, but not human.

51. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy:

I don’t think that’s right. This moves Bran’s story into ADwD territory by end of Season 4, but not much beyond that, let’s say. And there’s a lot of material that can be developed here.

This guy does look great. They’ll do what they can to make him pretty withered, I’d imagine.

tysnow: I don’t think they will show the elk, too fantastical and will come off childish (like for a Disney film).
    Furthermore I doubt Bran will be in more than 5 or 6 episodes,

agreed…I think they’ll likely put him on a horse.

52. Team Pod
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

It seems I might have to change my tag to Team Elk : ) we have to have Cold Hands with the Elk ! It’s such a classic Fantasy image IMO !

53. Turncloak
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Another reason why this is a smart move is that they have so much material to cover in season 5 with the Dorne arc/young griff/defense of Mereen/stannis vs Boltons/Cersei downfall/Jon’s arc as Lord Commander/Gregorstein setup/Arya in Braavos/Brienne Jaime and lady Stoneheart/Crow’s eye and Victorian Greyjoy/etc

54. Astonished
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Just what the show needed: another British Clint Eastwood. /end sarcasm. But seriously, folks. A bit more humanoid that I would have thought–course, I am transitioning from a book reader to a non book reader next season.

55. wargsareawesome
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

So… are they cutting Coldhands?

56. Valar Morghulis
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Yay! It would be AWESOME if they got into his past as Brynden Rivers along with Bran’s storyline – but maybe that will have to go for season five as I think Bran will meet Three Eyed Raven by the end of season four…

57. wargsareawesome
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Readers, careful with referring to the 3-eyed-crow/raven as BR! 1) it’s kinda spoiler-y and 2) we don’t actually KNOW that 3-eyed-crow/raven actually is Bloodraven it’s highly likely, but not certain.

58. wargsareawesome
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

darkshot117,

He’s a greenseer and possibly a warg as well. Of course he’s mostly tree at this point, but still…

59. Ozymandias
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

wargsareawesome,

I’m afraid……
    BR is good news though.

60. Rygar
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Omar Brown: Bran’s story is extremely front loaded in the books, so it makes sense the 3 eye show up now in his storyline, GRRM better get his butt to work. Cuz Winter has come for him.

Yep. GURM is being served.

61. John-Michael
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Omg I can’t wait to see what he looks like…. http://awoiaf.westeros.org/images/thumb/a/a7/Three-eyed-crow.jpg/250px-Three-eyed-crow.jpg If it looks anything like that I’ll geek out so bad!

62. Bittersteel
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

People might be jumping the gun about Bran’s story in S4. The show has glossed over some important back story that will have a significant impact going forward. BR is a perfect vehicle to share that info with the viewers and expand Bran’s story.

My question since the show doesn’t do flashbacks does that rule out Bran’s visions of the Godswood at Winterfell?

63. Greenjones
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Perhaps near the beginning of the season we could have Aemon, in the context of advising Jon, recall his bastard relation Bloodraven and say that after serving as NW LC he went a-roaming. Tying the Targaryen’s further to the NW/wildling/North storyline would give greater cohesion to the story and would potentially come as an interesting reveal to the Unsullied.

64. Greenjones
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

BTW this guy looks like Joe Biden.

65. davidbc
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Wow, that leaves very little Bran story for the next 2 seasons…

66. Kyrion
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

So when Octavia Alexandru was casted, and everyone thought she was Leaf……higher chance now?

67. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Out of all the fast forwarded castings, I like this one the most, I mean Bran’s aSoS story arc was completed in Episode 10 of last season. and as i recall bloodraven is introduced at the end of Bran chapter 2 of aDwD, so they were going to try and stick to the books purely, they would have only that to go and stretch over 2-3 seasons which is ridiculous, and i personally doubt stretching Brans storyline from aSoS over two seasons could be done without creation of some new plot which would take up half of their screen time at least. I think introducing Bloodraven earlier will make things go a lot smoother for Brans story arc. Brans training doesnt have very much page time in aDwD, but it does happen, so it leaves a lot of material the show could cover without explicitly going against the books, the whole concept of the weirnet will improve Brans storyline considerably, and i also heard someone say that a lot of Brans story arc is internal rather than external, which meant it translated to the show as well as other story arcs. Introducing Bloordraven will help with that i think, because Brans more likely to actually say what he thinks to a figure like Bloodraven, rather than with Osha and the Reeds, who he doesnt confide in very much about stuff like what happened to him and his legs. Also actor looks great, just the kind of thing I imagined hopefully he’ll be a great bloodraven

68. Dan
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

What the hell is wrong with some of you? A bit more “human”?! lol Did Andy Serkis look like Gollum or did they make him look like that through FX and CGI?

69. Chickenduck
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Bittersteel:

I don’t think so.

Two reasons – firstly, I don’t think that narratively the tree visions would look the same as a regular TV “flashback”. Secondly, they’ve already set up the rule of “no one dreams except Bran”, so it isn’t a bit stretch to have no one gets to see the past except Bran.

70. Chickenduck
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Dan:

Yeah, that went through my mind too.

71. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Well, this is indeed an interesting development. I think he looks right for the part.

Having him just appear in a vision this season is a real possibility and I hope that is the case. However, if he does appear are we going to see Coldhands? We know that Bran is going to have some interactions with the mutineers at Craster’s Keep, so having that, Coldhands and Bloodraven all in one season could be a bit much…..

72. Pussy Licker JonSnow
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Anyone think its possible for Coldhands to be played by Ian Whyte? He has a good build for it and a menacing voice. His face wouldn’t be an issue since its always covered.

73. Griffinsroost
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

So does this mean we may see some children of the forest?

And seriously, for those complaining about spoilers…just read the books already.

74. Chickenduck
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Pussy Licker JonSnow:

I’ve suspected for a while that Whyte will be Coldhands… Which would explain why there’s no leaked casting news.

If you’ve already got him on the payroll, doesn’t need to talk and no one’s going to see his face, he’d be the obvious choice to use.

75. franco
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: I don’t think so.

Two reasons – firstly, I don’t think that narratively the tree visions would look the same as a regular TV “flashback”.Secondly, they’ve already set up the rule of “no one dreams except Bran”, so it isn’t a bit stretch to have no one gets to see the past except Bran.

Yes, I think the quote “no one dreams except for Bran” means the show will use Bran as our window to pass events this will solve 2 problem for the show the lack of storyline for Bran in season 5, and the lack of backstory in the show like the Tower of Joy or the tourney at Harrenhal

76. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf:
    Out of all the fast forwarded castings, I like this one the most…..
    …. the whole concept of the weirnet will improve Brans storyline considerably

Great post! I may come around to acceptance yet….but without CH everything fizzles for me. They need CH to guide them 50-100 leagues through the northern climbs to reach the cave. CH is BR’s dead-man walking, his warg-buddy, isn’t he?

Btw, your use of the term “weirnet” made my month!

Edit: PussyLicker and Chickenduck are onto something, I hope! Ian Whyte ftw!

77. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Kyrion:

I’m all-in on that bet!

78. jasonw
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

just because he is cast does not mean they have to get to him this season. he can start to come to Bran in his dreams. Think if they dress him up as bloodraven in his dreams, the shock it will give bran and the views what he actually looks like.

79. Harry Lime
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

wargsareawesome:
    So… are they cutting Coldhands?

They don’t really need to cast an actor right now, since his face will be covered. They can just have an extra do his actions on set and dub in his voice in post. No casting announcements, less spoilers, and a bigger surprise for book-readers.

EDIT: Come to think of it, the same goes for Quaithe if they want to recast her.

80. That Stark boy
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Maybe Coldhands was really cut – which would be a real shit – but the lack of casting news concerning him only makes the Ben Stark theories stronger. If Bloodraven was only cast now though then we might expect more news of CH in the future.

81. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

We also know that Ross Mullan is going to be in season 4. His CV originally mentioned he was in pre-production for season 4 but when someone mentioned it to him on Twitter, the CV reference was deleted shortly thereafter. So he could be a possibility for Coldhands as well if that character is going to turn up.

82. Jentario
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

CH could easily be played by the likes of Ian Whyte, which means we don’t necessarily need a casting reveal.

83. Mursk
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Welcome to Hogwarts, Brandon Stark.

84. Jentario
    Posted October 16, 2013 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

arden,

Well, they might be too busy tearing their hair out. I know I was when the RW was spoiled for me.

85. Lundy
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t BR part of a tree in the books? Is this the character you think this new casting will encompass?

86. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Lundy,

Yep.

87. Justin
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

The other aspect of starting Bran’s aDwD storyline is that Isaac isn’t getting any younger, folks! Have you seen how tall he is lately? I think David and Dan not only know that Bran’s storyline would go absolutely nowhere (for another season) unless they started his aDwD plot line in Season 4, but that Isaac is growing. Quickly.

Oh, and I for one am hoping for the elk. It has a lot of potential to be done right.

88. Eren
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Justin,

Then get a new actor.

89. Jordan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Corn!

Cool news. Actually seen a fanart that looks quite a bit like this guy. I wonder if this means that we’ll finally get some talking ravens, and I wonder what form if any he’ll take.

Also, since this is casting news, I’ll throw in my obligatory plug for casting Ben Plumm (still hoping Hoji Fortuna will play him and the lack of further news is because he jumped the gun a bit in publicizing his casting).

90. D'Arcy
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:23 am | Permalink

Not sure if it matters that Isaac is aging. Who says Bran can’t age?

91. Jordan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:25 am | Permalink

D’Arcy,

Yeah, there is no way in seven hells they are going to recast Isaac, especially since they have that cart, so Hodor doesn’t need to carry him.

92. kurozukin
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:46 am | Permalink

darkshot117:
    Rygar,
    Yep I’ve watched all of S3.Apparently I’m dense or something, because I never got the impression that they were implying this character was human.In my imagination I suspected it was some magical being or child of the forest or spirit, but not human.

Who said anything about the character being human? Given the lack of magical beings working as actors nowadays, a non-human character will still have to be cast with a human actor.

93. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Well, there goes my ridiculous fantasy that Hugo Weaving would play the part!

Is there any chance that Coldhands and BR will be merged? Mind you, I’m not saying I want that to happen, but we’ve never had any indications that CH will make an appearance. It doesn’t jive with the whole becoming a tree a thing, but maybe he isn’t a tree man in show canon, or maybe he leads Bran and co in dreams. If it’s the latter, that could mean Bran, Jojen and Meera aren’t accidental cannibals. Not sure how I feel about that.

94. loki
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:51 am | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger, just let ian whyte walk in the costume covering his mouth and cgi team and voice actors do the rest. There is no need to cast another actor, famous or not, for this role.

95. Nick_Scryer
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Why is everyone suggesting Ian Whyte as Coldhands? I don’t remember him being particularly tall, was he?

I’d rather some normal size dude play him.

96. Ryan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:47 am | Permalink

Justin,

He’s only 5’8″. That’still quite shirt compared to hodor. He plays Bran perfectly so there’s no need to recast

97. JP Dayne
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:45 am | Permalink

OH MY FUCKING GOD
    I’M SO HYPE NOW
    WHAT DO I DO WITH ALL MY CHILLS

Ser Brynden River, the one true protector of the realm

98. Macha
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Fan-bloody-tastic!

99. Arkash
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:35 am | Permalink

This is good news.

I’m interested to see what they will do of Bran this season.

The whole intrigue at Craster’s Keep is thrilling ! I want to see Karl and rast again ! Have some tension there, see what the heck happens between Mutineers, Craster’s wives, possible wights and White Walkers… and finally end of the cave !

With Coldhands thrown in somewhere !

And then season 5, Bran will probably be our gateway to many past events : ToJ, Tourney at Harrenhal, Robert’s Rebellion…

100. utherwolf
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:41 am | Permalink

That’s great. I really didn’t expect Three-Eyed Raven to appear in season 4. But when to expect the Coldhands to be cast? I shall be very disappointed if he is meant to be cut off from the series.

101. garyd
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Off topic here but Maisie Williams has been nominated for best British actor at the BBC Radio 1 teen awards. I am surprised that she was nominated for the teen awards as Game of Thrones is not really teen material but hey ho!! Already voted for Maisie so good luck.

102. Huge Floppys
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:31 am | Permalink

GeekFurious:

The whole site is based on rumors and spoilers and you know that. If u have a problem with it then don’t come to the site and complain

103. dizzy
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Whoa! Now this is surprise casting. I guess they can leave Bran in a cave for a season or two? I am so curious how they will handle this part of the story.

104. TheBerylfly
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Blooooodraven!

I believe he might show up in a dream and then the last scene would be the actual meeting
    That way, JoPaste and the training would still be saved for the fifth season

105. Valyrian eyes
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:30 am | Permalink

OMG T.T can’t use the spoiler tags so I’ll just flail harmlessly kabsiqnhdjsbfjbhdhvehebfjxjnsbdifjfbbsc

106. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

TheBerylfly:
    Blooooodraven!

That way, JoPaste and the training would still be saved for the fifth season

I’m hoping for a Bran buildup as well during S4, except I’ll never subscribe to the JoPaste theory until I read it…although sadly I don’t believe that poor Jojen will leave the cave alive or intact. I love how the CotF will initially come across as these lovely immortal “innocent” beings but Bran will discover that they have their dark “sacrificing” secrets, among other secrets. Lots of sacrificing going on Westeros and Essos! I also think Bran has some more adventuring to do way up north (away from the cave) before he becomes BR’s protégé.

Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Jordan:
    Corn!

Cool news.Actually seen a fanart that looks quite a bit like this guy.I wonder if this means that we’ll finally get some talking ravens, and I wonder what form if any he’ll take.

Unfortunately, Hoji Fortuna is not playing Ben Plumm. He is just an extra.

108. Bard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:

I doubt he will appear in a vision. Why should they reveal his true looks before we actually meet him in person? So we’ll probably get the whole ADWD story for Bran in Season 4 (plus additional material). Which is IMO perfectly doable and makes a lot of narrative sense.

The only problem is of course, they won’t have any material left for season 5. So either GRRM writes like the wind or we won’t get any Bran stuff in season 5 apart from him talking through a weirdwood tree (or maybe his training as a greenseer).

109. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Bard,
    Yes, I now agree. Since posting that I have read a theory that he will reach the cave at the end of season 4, and then season 5 for him will consist mostly of the visions/flashbacks that have been cut before (Tower of Joy, Knight of the Laughing tree, etc). While I don’t think we will get actually flashbacks (because that would require casting more actors), I do very much like the idea of us getting a lot of exposition/backstory in his season 5 stuff. It would also be another way of stopping him from getting too far ahead.

110. Jordan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

I was thinking things might go/could go something like this:

I think if Bran and co. do reach the cave, it won’t be until like the last episode (or their last appearance in the season), and I’m not even sure if we will see what Bloodraven looks like. Instead, maybe we’ll start having him speaking in Bran’s visions wherein he sees the Three-Eyed Raven/Crow.

Also, in ADWD, I somewhat got the impression that Coldhands was potentially just Bloodraven’s meatpuppet and not a separate, sapient being. If that’s true, we may see Coldhands appear and do stuff (i.e. killing the Watch deserters), and while some extra will provide the body, the voice will be this actor dubbed in.

111. Bard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    Bard,
    Yes, I now agree. Since posting that I have read a theory that he will reach the cave at the end of season 4, and then season 5 for him will consist mostly of the visions/flashbacks that have been cut before (Tower of Joy, Knight of the Laughing tree, etc). While I don’t think we will get actually flashbacks (because they would require casting more actors), I do very much like the idea of us getting a lot of exposition/backstory in his season 5 stuff. It would also be another way of stopping him from getting too far ahead.

Sounds interesting. But I always thought that D&D wouldn’t do any flashbacks in the show, as they’ve stated before? Well, we’ll see. However, if there is hardly any Bran material in season 5, there’s of course more room for other stuff. Which might be helpful, because there’s plenty of it, as we all know.

112. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Bard,

I could see him appearing in Bran’s dreams as he possibly views himself in his mind’s eye, rather than as he is now; the way he was back in the Targaryen dynasty. That way his true appearance is still a shock to the audience.

113. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Bard,
    Hence why I said I don’t think we will get actual flashbacks :P. If they were to try and fill in those details it would likely be in the form of exposition.

Also, only upon seeing my post quoted there did I realise how many typos there are in it. That’s what I get for posting at 1 in the morning…

114. Bard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy:
    Bard,

I could see him appearing in Bran’s dreams as he possibly views himself in his mind’s eye, rather than as he is now; the way he was back in the Targaryen dynasty.That way his true appearance is still a shock to the audience.

Hm. Good point. But they would still reveal early that he is (or was) a mortal man.

Ser Tahu:
    Bard,

Ah, no problem. I for my part don’t want to know how many grammatical errors I’m producing here, since English is not my native language. ;)

115. Veltigar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:56 am | Permalink

I can only say one thing. I hope including him in season 4 means we are getting a ToJ greendreem in season 5. Best part of the first book and they left it out of the show, but now they have the chance to set things straight.

116. Bittersteel
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

franco,

The Viper would be a better candidate for explaining the Rebellion and events leading up to it. It gives the viewers info and his motivations without it being a massive dump of info. BR seems more suited to to explain The Long Night, Blackfyres and more mystical aspects of the story which ties into his mentoring of Bran.

117. A wildling Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

he played the whitewalker in season 2 and 3

118. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Even the title of this thread is a spoiler

119. House Mormont
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I don’t think we’ll get weirwood flashbacks in Season 5. Each one would require new actors and as it stands now they need atleast 35 new characters next season (and there’s less than 15 cast for this season at the moment, so there’ll be a huge contrast) and also many new locations.
    The show really can’t afford that, and they’ll probably see the cave scenes as a good because they’ll be cheap (barring prosthetics) like the Theon scenes this season.

120. 3eyes
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

*sigh* getting more and more difficult to remain Unsullied in any way. Plus, he looks nothing like me.

121. Nick_Scryer
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:

Who are the 35 new characters you think they NEED? I’m 100% sure there are not 35 vital characters that can’t be cut or merged.

122. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

3eyes,

how does reporting a casting make it hard to stay unsullied?

123. 3eyes
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

Having not read the book, I had no idea what (or who?) the three-eyed raven was,and have been looking forward to Bran’s story unfolding in the next season. That the raven has a human form would have been an interesting and completely unexpected twist, something I have come to to look forward to as each season approaches. Don’t want to be whingey – it’s on me to avoid reading anything but Oz’s posts, and I do appreciate the effort to avoid spoiling by both Admin and posters on this site. It wasn’t meant as a criticism so much as a lament.

124. SM4e
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I’ve read a quarter of aDWD right now, and I highly doubt Coldhands will be cut off. I assume they’re just not announcing too many casts since it always brings the possiblity of spoilers.
    I’ve just thought about some characters that actually should appear: Harys Swyft, Ben Plumm, Wyman Manderly, The Kettleblacks, Mya Stone, Denys Mallister, Cotter Pyke (just those who came to my mind right along, probably missed out a lot)

You have to consider that AFFC and aDWD take place at the same time, so it’s pretty likely that Bran will meet up with Bloodraven and Davos’ will be in WH around episode 6 or 7.

125. kozi47

29 Randyll Tarly – vital
    30 Dareon – cut
    31 Satin – cut
    32 One of Maesters of Citadel – vital
    33 Kindly Man – vital
    34 The Waif – cut
    35. Kettleblack – cut or replaced by the character which already appeared on the show

Some of them might not be cast but without them it will be a lot of new characters , anyway.

126. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

SM4e,

The show isn’t following the strict chronological order of the books. They will move events forward and back to suit the show. Bran’s ADWD story is being moved forward to season 4, while the NW’s election from ASOS may not take place until season 5. Out of your small list of characters yet to be cast, I would be shocked if the Kettleblacks,Harys Swyft, and Mya Stone were cast. And I could see Cotter Pyke and Denys Mallister being replaced by characters who are already on the show. The only one who is almost a lock to appear is Manderly.

127. Zeus
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

I have never understood the Coldhands love. He’s pretty silent and doensn’t really offer much to the story unless he proves to be someone of importance. The obsession over such very minor characters always amazes me.

128. SM4e
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap: l

Well, Harys Swyft was the Hand of the King. I think it’s vital that the show demonstrates how Cersei tries to build up a somewhat controlable Small Council. There need to be new Small Council members since Varys will disappear, LF is in the Vale already, Tyrion escapes, Kevan leaves to get to Darry, Tywin dies, Jaime leaves to go to Riverrun. I’d love to see Cersei having a SC-meeting only with herself though. ;P
    As I said I’m not completely though aDWD but imo one Kettblack was sent to the wall in order to get Jon killed (ok, they will probably merge this with Slynt). But I’m sure they will include some scenes concerning the Kingsguard as they’re quite important in Jaime’s chapters. Furthermore, Cersei slept with one of them which is also quite imprtant for Jaime’s development, isn’t it? Ok Mya Stone might be cut off, just as Edric Storm was.
    Well, how do you want to replace Pyke and Mallister by characters that have appeared already? You only got Halfhand from the Shadowtower and he’s dead.

I’m also wondering whether they really cut off Randyll Tarly (Brienne meets him and there was a picture of her and Podrick). Redwyne and Rowan will be cut off.

And I know that the show is not following the chronological order, but some things just need to happen before others.

129. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Zeus:
    I have never understood the Coldhands love. He’s pretty silent anddoensn’t really offer much to the story unless he proves to be someone of importance. The obsession over such very minor characters always amazes me.

I may be reading more into it than necessary but personally, I find CH’s possible backstories to be one of the more fascinating aspects of the entire ASoI&F tale.

130. Gared Hall
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

I never understood what the big deal was with Coldhands. Sure he’s all bad-a** and enigmatic ‘n junk, but ultimately, so far he hasn’t proven to be that big of a key character in the grand scheme of things. Even if in the books he winds up being who a lot of people believe him to be (Benjen) the show could easily cut him and go on its way. And for those who’ll ask “well who’s going to escort Bran to the cave??”, my answer would be “a strong as an ox half-giant mentally controlled by a boy-warg who gets a chance to live out his fantasy of being a knight”. It’d give Kristian Nairn a chance to flex his acting chops… other than his ability to give surprising depth to just saying “Hodor”.

But, back to the topic at hand. BR is a critical character in a sea of critical characters. He could appear in Bran’s dreams, or they could show him just once at the end of the season. Either way, he’s cast, and I’m happy for it. It could mean eventual flashbacks through Bran, which would be awesome, for example; Ned telling Benjen in front of the weirwood in the Godswood of Winterfell, the true parentage of Jon, thus prompting Benjen to take the black? Maybe? I mean, Ned used to go there for his important thinking/decision making. Could make sense. All speculation, of course.

131. Gared Hall
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Zeus,

HA! Similar thinking. Very nice.

132. NOTABOOKREADER
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I am DID NOT read the books and this IS A SPOILER. Thank you!

133. House Mormont
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

you’re acting like 35 is a lot and something a book lover would say

Bearing in mind that’s cutting out everyone JonCon and Aegon travel with except Septa Lemore because HBO would see her as free nudity
    Cutting out everyone from the iron islands except the greyjoys
    Cutting out everyone Theon sees at WF except Manderly, a frey to cut him open and Lady Dustin
    Cutting most of the people from Dorne including all the sandsnakes other than Lady Nym
    Cutting all the Lords Declarant and Mya Stone/Myranda (other than the two we have now and Lyn Corbray)
    Cutting basically everyone important in Stannis’ Northern army other than Arnolf Karstark
    Most of the new people Cersei surrounds herself with in KL, we need Taena and the High Septon
    & getting rid of most of the noted Night’s Watch characters, we need Bowen & we need someone to enrage the giant
    Cut basically anyone met on a ship except Moqorro, skip everyone Brienne meets other than (1)Pod, (2)maybe a religious figure to give a moving speech, and (3)unCat, don’t mention anyone Arya meets other than her two mentors, keep Dany’s to the Green Grace, the Shavepate, Brown Ben & Quentyn etc.

134. Macharius
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Looks exactly like I envisioned Bloodraven, good casting.

135. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: It’s not simply the persona behind CH that’s intriguing, it’s the idea of CH. He’s a wight or WW/Other or another kind of walking dead that is under the influence of another type of evil/not-so-evil force in the North. Is he a R’hlorr creation (like LS), a weirwood/CotF creation, BR’s warg-buddy or an anomaly? We know he is very old but is he an original Stark, an Andal/First Man, a WW with a conscience? Does he play a role in the untold/nefarious history of the “land beyond the wall”…or even Brandon the Builder’s story?

“Chim chimney chim chimney chim chim cheree a sweep is as lucky as lucky can be, chim chimney chim chimney chim chim cheroo good luck will rub off when I shakes ‘ands with you…”

136. House Mormont
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

kozi47,

You’re forgetting that this is HBO. HBO would love Taena to be cast (not to mention Cersei is the only person she can project her inner thoughts onto and show how paranoid and crazy she is), Septa Lemore is free nudity and so are Arianne and Arys. We also need Jaqen H’gar and Marwyn, Moqorro, we need the Shavepate as he probably poisoned the locusts & The Green Grace if she’s the harpy. Dustin is also the only person Theon can really talk to aswell (the first person since season two). We also need a fake Arya, I kept Dareon in just because killing him and becoming blind is Arya’s only dramatic event in aFfC.

137. Direpup
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

NOTABOOKREADER,

Well if you’re not a book reader you won’t have a clue who the character is or what he is involved in ao it can’t be a spoiler. Spoilers by definition give away future events, this just gives you a characters name!?

138. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    kozi47,

And we need a Mance that can sing. ;) ah, bringing back old controversy.

139. House Mormont
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

unless the Lord o’ Bones can rattle out a few bardy songs ;)

140. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

House Mormont:
    ….cutting out everyone JonCon and Aegon travel with except Septa Lemore because HBO would see her as free nudity…

“They” better not compromise Septa Lemore, dammit! She will mess with Tyrion’s heads, she will wax-rhapsodic on deck of the Shy Maid, she will disrobe and perfectly dive into the Rhoyne and swim with the fucking huge turtles, and she will be played by Virginia Madsen! But that will be S5.
    :-)

141. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

kozi47,

Are u trying to tell me Reznak will be cut? Might be the most foolish statement I’ve heard.

142. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Rygar: Maybe I am under analyzing but I just think he is a sweep who doesn’t wash his hands.

Oh, go van dyke your dick! CH is the best damn chimney sweep north of Hardhome!

143. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Not trying to be an ass or come at u but I just don’t even see how cutting Reznak is possible

144. Al Swearengen
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Oh great casting news for Bran’s stor……ZzzzzzzzZZZZz

By far my least favorite arc in the books.

145. Chickenduck
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Rygar

And we need a Mance that can sing. ;) ah, bringing back old controversy.

Um… you’re aware that Ciaran Hinds is a professional musical theatre actor, right? He has a really surprising singing voice (surprising in that to me it never seems to fit how he looks, but he’s got a great, rich tone).

Did you see the film version of the Phantom of the Opera that came out a few years back?

146. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: Um… you’re aware that Ciaran Hinds is a professional musical theatre actor, right?He has a really surprising singing voice (surprising in that to me it never seems to fit how he looks, but he’s got a great, rich tone).

Yes yes yes. I was just rehashing an old WiC joke that we used to throw around.

147. loco73
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Man, that is an impressive resume, no doubt. He will look great, I’m just trying to imagine the makeup they’ll have to do! Should be real creative!

I’m curious if it will be a brief appearance…my guess is that he’ll appear towards the end of Season Four, perhaps in the last episode…

148. hargrind
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:04 pm | Permalink
  149. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

To unsullied. This isn’t a spoiler. A human actor isn’t necessarily playing a human.

For example, take LOTR. You have human actors playing humans and you have them playing non humans such as Dwarves, Elves, Orcs and Hobbits. I’m not clear on if wizards are humans. You also have Gollum, who was based on Andy Serkis’ movements and they used his voice, but he doesn’t technically appear on screen.

150. Chickenduck
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Rygar: Yes yes yes.I was just rehashing an old WiC joke that we used to throw around.

Ah OK… I had a suspicion you were just stirring the pot. We really need <joke or <sarcasm tags on the internet, it'd save a lot of arguments!

151. Bard

- Balon
    - Rorge (probably)
    - Polliver (most likely)
    - Lysa Arryn
    - Rast
    - Karl
    - The guy who replaces Marillion (?)
    - Hopefully some Freys

King’s Landing will be overrun with people in Season 4, but will turn into a rather lonely place compared to that in season 5, especially because many other (surviving) characters (Sansa, Jaime, Brienne Queen of Thornes etc.) are going to leave this place during season 4 and 5.

152. WildSeed
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Kyrion,

I’m reluctant to put up a wager, but I hope she’s cast on the show.

I heard rumours that ser Bryndan Tully is re-cast, is that true ?

153. Jordan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

Where did you hear that? I guess it could be possible, but it seems unlikely since I wouldn’t have expected the character to have any scenes this season anyway.

154. WildSeed
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Arkash:
    This is good news.

I’m interested to see what they will do of Bran this season.

With Coldhands thrown in somewhere !

I was surprised at first, but I’m embracing the idea as a nice premise for the
    near future events. Several comments above have listed great ideas, Hodor’s
    Bastard rendered a interesting outline , too.

155. Ser Tahu
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

kozi47,
    Characters that I disagree on:

3-5 Sand Snakes – I think we will see Tyene, while Obara and Nymeria are combined with each other. I think they will have Ellaria go to King’s Landing to take the council seat, as she has been there before (it also gives her something to do). Tyene remains unchanged. Obara/Nymeria accompany Balon Swann/Areo Hotah on the Darkstar hunt. They can also add Elia later on if her role accompanying Arianne ends up being important.
    6 Arys – vital
    8 Quentyn – vital, and I think they will start his story in Dorne and show the whole thing. I will defend Quentyn to the death :P.
    15 Skahaz – not vital, but I think we could see him. it all depends on who they have to eat the locusts. Grey Worm could be a suitable co-conspirator for Barristan, but if they have him eat the locusts then they will have to find a new co-conspirator. My hope is that they bring back Kovarro, and have him eat the locusts.
    17 Harry Strickland – not vital, but I am 100% sure we will see him just because they will need someone to represent the Golden Company when JonCon and Aegon treat with them.
    25 Barbrey Dustin – vital, simply because she is a good way to give Theon some exposition.
    27 Arnolf Karstark* – not vital but I think we will see him. It adds drama to Stannis’ wait near Winterfell.
    28 Alys Karstark* – vital. Jon meddling with the Karstarks was one of the main reasons for his murder. With that we would also get Cregan Karstark.
    30 Dareon – cut. Replaced with Pyp. (I don’t actually disagree on the character being cut, but his role should still be there)

*they won’t be needed until season 6.

Varamyr 4 skins,
    I forget, what did Reznak actually do? From what I can remember he just stood there being annoying.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what happened to Kovarro? Will we ever see him again?

156. Red Queen
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

The creature pulling all the strings has finally been cast.

157. WildSeed
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Jordan,

I thought I read it here, at WiC, some weeks ago, but I could be wrong. I just did
    a Wikipedia check, but Russell’s database is barely noted, in detail. Until
    further notice, disregard my question about his possible recast, stated above .

158. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

WildSeed,

No, Russell is not a recast, and was not himself recast. Not sure where you heard that but definitely not from us.

159. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Red Queen:
    The creature pulling all the strings has finally been cast.

This, this, this. Is “it” the ultimate historian/recorder or is it the grand manipulator over the “weirnet”?

(Thx to NomadicDirewolf for the vernacular update)

160. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Chickenduck: Ah OK…I had a suspicion you were just stirring the pot.We really need <joke or <sarcasm tags on the internet, it’d save a lot of arguments!

Agreed about the tags. I am not sure how it happened but when they started casting for S3 someone posted “yes but can he/she sing” and that became a very common response to every new addition/thread.

161. 3eyes
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Another shout out to you and all posters showing consideration for we the Unsullied. Am hoping your reply is a hint that I may be surprised after all.

162. Hodor's Bastard

- Balon
    - Rorge (probably)
    - Polliver (most likely)
    - Lysa Arryn
    - Rast
    - Karl
    - The guy who replaces Marillion (?)
    - Hopefully some Freys

Thx for the recap. We know the approximate death sequence for the KL folk, but I wonder how the showrunners will schedule the rest of the deaths throughout S4?

Hound? No way!

163. Valaquen
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Saw Jim as the creepy pagan in Kill List, great choice!

164. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

3eyes,

Unsullied? Do you know the reference means you are a eunuch?

165. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Rygar:
    3eyes,
    Unsullied?Do you know the reference means you are a eunuch?

…and that they’ve killed a newborn…

166. Cary Storm
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Rygar: Agreed about the tags.I am not sure how it happened but when they started casting for S3 someone posted “yes but can he/she sing” and that became a very common response to every new addition/thread.

And yet we still haven’t heard him sing.

167. WildSeed
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Thanks. I’m aware that Clive Russell appeared in S3, as Bryndan Tully, yet I
    recall his name surfacing here, as a possible re-cast target for next season.
    This was among the very much hyped re-cast fever- hysteria from a few weeks
    ago. I must have read the comment as an unsubstantiated rumour among the
    discussion.

168. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Cary Storm: And yet we still haven’t heard him sing.

At the very least ‘the Dornishmans Wife’ and not Lloyd Webbers God awful shit.

169. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: …and that they’ve killed a newborn…

And that they are Danys bitches…

170. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Rygar: And that they are Danys bitches…

…and, my God…the puppies! They killed the puppies!

171. Ours is the Fury
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

A wildling Bastard: he played the whitewalker in season 2 and 3

Yes, I’m aware. My point is that, on his resume, Ross Mullan ALSO had that he was in pre-production for season 4 before he realized people were looking at it and presumably erased it. But we know he’s in season 4 now, and he could just as easily be playing Coldhands as Ian Whyte, is my point.

172. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: …and, my God…the puppies! They killed the puppies!

And have detachable nipples…

173. Pussy Licker JonSnow
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Rygar: And that they are Danys bitches…

I’d be Dany’s bitch. No doubt

174. Rygar
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Pussy Licker JonSnow: I’d be Dany’s bitch. No doubt

Well at least you didn’t kiss Johnny Shotsman. Or did you?

175. 3eyes
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Yes, Germaine Greer wrote about me in 1970:D

176. David
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Finally. Dunk and Egg represent.

177. Mallister65
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Colty,

how does one add an eye that isn’t there?

178. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

David:
    Finally. Dunk and Egg represent.

I only realized within the past year that you have to read all three D&E tales to start comprehending BR, including his violent relationship with his “Great Bastard” half-brother and his devious role as HotK. It is so cool that the phrase usually associated with him, “A 1000 eyes, and one” had a certain meaning during his time as HotK, and a related, but altogether different, meaning once he became the admin of the weirnet.

By the way, has anyone come across the actual lyrics for the “1000 eyes, and one” song? Obviously, it has more than the first two lines everyone knows, doesn’t it?

179. Jordan
    Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I was thinking about your last sentence earlier today- I wonder if the song is like Bloodraven’s version of “The Rains of Castamere”- i.e. its about him being a total bastard, but in a semi-admiring way.

My suggestion for possible lyrics would be taken from “Santa Clause Is Coming To Town”- You know, “he knows when you are sleeping; he knows when you are awake…”

180. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Jordan:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Sounds appropriate. I have always been wary of that “children’s” song. In a different voice, it almost sounds like a veiled threat written by George Orwell. Actually, the appearance of BR in S4 is quite timely given the current NSA/Snowden controversies.

181. Alice
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 2:04 am | Permalink

WildSeed,

If I had to guess, I would say you got mixed up with Clive Mantle who featured in season 1 as Umber.

182. Sumi
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 4:13 am | Permalink

WOW! Just from the picture he looks as if he fit’s perfect in this role! :O

183. Graotron.com.pl
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 4:31 am | Permalink

I agree – he’d be perfect for that role :) Can’t wait to see him on the screen!

184. Giantsbabe
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 4:52 am | Permalink

I’m with Arkash Really looking forward to Bran’s arc in S4. And with the possible conjoined arc of Jon’s story at Craster’s Keep, my personal wish is to see Jon and Bran meet in a Green dream or meet warged as Ghost and Summer. Assuming that the three-eyed raven might also be BR, I have always wondered what his true motivations are. And since we are now on that terriotry, who here, for interest’s sake, adheres to the Jojenpaste theory?

185. Bill
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

If the Three-Eyed Raven is in Season 4, Coldhands will be too. The only logical explanation for me is that he will be played by a familiar actor, which could potentially spoil a lot.

186. Jentario
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:14 am | Permalink

Bill,

He could easily be played by Ian Whyte, the guy who played the Giant, a White Walker and the Mountain in season 2. That would mean we don’t need a casting reveal, and it also makes sense (especially since the Mountain was recast but it seems Whyte is still here).

187. Rygar
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

I just want Bran to warg into Hodor and start slapping Lannisters and Freys

188. Jen@House Stark
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Rygar:
    I just want Bran to warg into Hodor and start slapping Lannisters and Freys

Pies, anyone? Me first!

189. greg
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Chickenduck: I’ve suspected for a while that Whyte will be Coldhands…Which would explain why there’s no leaked casting news.

190. Boojam
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Kinda odd.
    Is not principal production over today?
    Or is that next week?
    Anyway, kind of late to get this news…

A little news about the Battle for the Wall…. but that was it.
    Long post production on this season.

191. kozi47
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Ser Tahu,

3-5 Sand Snakes

IMO we are up to see only one Sand Snake if any of them. Remember that we’ve got already cast Ellaria and I think that she won’t quit after season 4. She may as well take over Nymeria or Obara part.

6 Arys – vital

Just can’t understand why do you think Arys is so important. And if we’re talking about Quentyn I’m asking myself what is the importance of the plot itself, why it is so exploited in fifth book and yet it ends with death of Quentyn. As a matter of fact I think that Martells when they heard that Quentyn was burnt by the dragon won’t support Dany in her claims because they will guess that she had sth to do with Quentyn’s death. The only alternative is Aegon but he is the son of Elia so why the hell we need Quentyn’s plot The producers might think the same.

17 Harry Strickland

And how would you judge an idea of Griff becoming the leader of the Golden Company ? ;D

25 Barbrey Dustin

I’ ve got a feeling that Davos will start searching of Rickon at the end of S5. Meanwhile he may be staying at Winterfell in the cell talking with Theon from time to time.

192. WildSeed
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Alice:
    WildSeed,

You may be right about that, thanks for the mention ( :

193. House de Laguna
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

This is off topic but did anyone know that Take The Black Stout has been out for a few weeks? I just bought one where I live and they’re already sold out…

194. finegent
    Posted October 19, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

A RIVER, A LAND, A TREE, Grown to STONE, BLACK of leaves on every eves. Flutter and flap with a swarm befitting a MURDER. BASTARD born yet no NIGHTSWATCH deserter. Words that flies with 1000 & 1. EYES

195. The Blue Grace
    Posted October 19, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I hate to say stuff like this, but looking at this picture in particular, I wonder if they were hoping to cast John Hurt, and, when they couldn’t get him, settled for a lookalike instead. Might be proven wrong, but he really looks astonishingly like him.

196. The Blue Grace
    Posted October 19, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Boojam:
    Kinda odd.
    Is not principal production over today?
    Or is that next week?
    Anyway, kind of late to get this news…

A little news about the Battle for the Wall…. but that was it.
    Long post production on this season.

It’s not over for a month. GRRM’s info was bad. This is not post-production, they are definitely still filming, and not just Night’s Watch scenes, either.

197. Joshua Atreides
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 2:28 am | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

No one went apeshit over the casting of the Red Viper? Ha!

Well the unsullied didn’t anyway. ;)

Btw notice how Pedro has climbed his way to the top of the poll?

198. Chickenduck
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 5:45 am | Permalink

greg: Except coldhands talks so ur reasoning is wrong and from now on anything you say has no credibility. WRONG.

Ummmmm…. maybe you should go back and read what I wrote.

I didn’t say “Coldhands doesn’t talk”, I said the actor doesn’t need to talk… As has been speculated by others, the voice can easily be dubbed (or if it’s Whyte’s voice they could lower it in post as they did when he was Gregor).

If Coldhands is shown as a hooded figure whose face you don’t see, there isn’t really a need to cast anyone with a recognisable face… And they’ve already got a professional CGI-coathanger in the cast.

Sure, I could be wrong, but it’s fun to speculate.

199. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted October 21, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

The Blue Grace,

Maybe they can get hold of him next season to play the Kindly Man. I could imagine him working well in the role. “Who are you?”

200. Kingslayer
    Posted October 22, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Zeus,

It’s more the mystery and supernatural feel that makes Coldhands so popular. That’s why I like him. Not many characters in ASOIAF like that.

201. Delpheas
    Posted October 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

I like that the show calls him “a three-eyed raven”, it makes sense due to his nickname and birthmark.

1. […] to the keen eyes of our friends at WiC, we now have confirmation that a much speculated-upon character will be appearing in the upcoming […]

2. […] informa WiC y su propia agencia, el actor británico Struan Rodger se ha unido al reparto de Juego de Tronos […]

3. […] from WinterIsComing is that the show has cast the Three Eyed Raven. So far, for the Unspoiled, the Three Eyed Raven has merely appeared to Bran […]

4. […] Actorul britanic Struan Roger a primit rolul Three-Eyed Raven în serialul Game of Thrones. Tot ce pot să zic e că cei de la HBO consideră că “raven” e un cuvânt mai chic decât “crow”. (Sursa) […]

5. […] Actorul britanic Struan Roger a primit rolul Three-Eyed Raven în serialul Game of Thrones. Tot ce pot să zic e că cei de la HBO consideră că “raven” e un cuvânt mai chic decât “crow”. (Sursa) […]