More characters rumored being cast for season five
By Ours is the Fury on in Casting, Rumors, Speculation.
Varamyr Sixskins, Artwork by Belibr

Varamyr Sixskins, Artwork by Belibr

Casting for the fifth season of Game of Thrones carries on, and so does the rumor mill.

According to our unofficial sources, the show has been looking to cast a few more characters, in addition to the lengthy list that surfaced a couple weeks ago. We’ve learned they’re searching for:

• Varamyr: Dubbed Varamyr Sixskins in the book series, the wildling skinchanger initially appears in A Storm of Swords when he takes possession of the late Orell’s eagle, and takes on his scout role as well with Mance Rayder’s army. The book describes Varamyr as a small man, bald and grey-faced with round shoulders. The show is supposedly looking to cast an actor in the 35-45 year old age range. It’s unclear what position Varamyr will take on in the fifth season as his introduction point in the books has already passed in the show.
  • Imogen: A 12 year old blonde girl. It’s speculated that this may actually be the casting call for young Cersei. Given that there is no Imogen in the books, and we’ve heard that Game of Thrones is auditioning girls for the role of young Cersei, this seems likely.
  • Brunette girl: 12 years old. There’s no additional information about this part. For book-related possibilities, our best guess with regards to the role is probably Melara, a girl involved in young Cersei’s story with the fortuneteller Maggy the Frog.

The list of potential characters is unconfirmed by HBO at this time.

Ours is the Fury
: Introducing Varamyr at this point is a little puzzling. It seems like it would’ve been a good idea to do that for season 4, but perhaps bringing in another warg is a sign that the show is going to focus more on developing warg abilities for other characters in season 5.

1. BeautyBrienne
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I really, really try to stay out of the casting fray because it can get so snippy.

But…Greyjoys. We need their dysfunction.

2. Walter Harrow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I really hope the Kindly Man is in Season 5

3. House Mormont
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

I thought Varamyr would have been replaced by Joseph Gatt’ s warg, idk why they’d cast him now when all he does is die, maybe for Hardhome?

4. furrever
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Hodor

5. RadoLukacs
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

The twelve years old girl could be Fake Arya.

6. davy
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I think Varamyr Sixskins will take the role of ]borroq. I also think Imogen might be a character we haven’t seen in the books yet, as it is going into twow terroritory.

7. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:14 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

Maybe he’s part of the wildlings hanging around at the Wall, and winds up teaching Jon about warging. I don’t know though.

8. Delta1212
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I have to admit, it’s looking like we’re going to get a flashback. I’m legitimately surprised and not entirely sure how I feel about this.

9. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

RadoLukacs:
    The twelve years old girl could be Fake Arya.

Maisie Williams is 17 and looks it.

10. davy
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:
    House Mormont,

well as that’s why I expect him to take over Borroq’s role although he hasn’t done much yet in the books. Ghost did growl at him.

11. Lord of the Waters
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Really hoping we get Greyjoy casting news soon. I would be gutted if the show casts so many minor characters yet cuts out Euron.

12. ArtDeco
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

Not sure there’s any other way to effectively explain Cersei’s descent into madness re: Margaery.

13. Grey Ghost
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Very happy to see Varamyr in there :) idk what they’ll do with him but idc. The prologue from A Dance with Dragons is one of my favourite chapters of anything, anywhere!

14. Jason Yager
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I demand the Iron Captain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Greyjoy’s or we riot! (really, any Greyjoy will do, even if they aren’t played by Mads).

Maverick: I feel the need…
    Maverick, Goose: …the need for casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron with speed!

16. LordVega
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Delta1212,

most likely a bran weirnet vision. It opens up the show for any flashback they want. that excites me. Think off the possibilities.

17. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Cool artwork:) looks amazing

18. Suzaku
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Not exactly flashbacks if they’re handled through Bran’s visions, which I think they may very well be.

Delta1212:

19. Michel
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

What is the meaning to cast Varamyr if they could use Joseph Gatt warg character or they could have let Orell live?

20. Arriba
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Then if they finally go with the maggy thing as a flashback it makes no sense the E5 talk betwenn cersei and margaery

21. Locke Reborn
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

If I were the show producer, I would start Season 5 off with the Maggy the Frog flashback. And then cut to Cersei sending off demands for Tyrion’s head.

Valonqar indeed.

22. Hodorkovsky
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Delta1212:

Maybe they could have the flashback as a cold open at the very beginning of season? After 4 seasons that would shake up things nicely without deviating too much from what works.

23. Winnie
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

I’m quite sure In oven is Cersei. The brunette girl could be the waif or the friend Cersei killed.

The intro of V to me is consistent with more characters warging next season. Likely Jon and Ghost though we can expect Arya and Cat soon and there’s been speculation that Sansa was going to start warging birds on twow.

24. Euron's blue lips
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Greyjoys or HBO must pay the iron price for their failings. #GeyjoysOrRiot

25. Skipjack
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:51 am | Permalink

ArtDeco,

That’s the thing though, it’s been a completely logical progression so far on the show. Leave it to Lena Headey to sell it, don’t explain it away in my opinion. Cersei is already deteriorating quite clearly. And besides, of all the many prophecies to get around to portraying at last, this one is the least worthy. It’s by far the most on the nose, and perhaps that’s why they are thinking of doing it, because no one could miss the meaning. I just think it’s taking the easy way out, and I really hope they don’t do it.

Not only as ASOIAF prophecies go is it my least favorite, but man there is so much else that would be great to see in flashback too. Even though I just ragged on it as a story-telling device, and not that the budget would support it, but part of me would love to see the tournament at Harrenhal.

26. Hodorkovsky
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Winnie:

The intro of V to me is consistent with more characters warging next season. [...] there’s been speculation that Sansa was going to start warging birds on twow.

She will start warging into mockingbirds. It is known.

27. UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

I hope we get a polar bear!

28. Grey Ghost
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I agree about the Grayjoys, we need more of them. Theek, the mess they’ve made with Yasha, and the recent scene at Moat Cailin have made them look like a bunch of noobs! When in fact they are hcore.

But people need to chill. The writers will need all the content they can get their hands on in Season 5. If they are making the effort to introduce Dorne, then common sense suggests they’ll do similar with the Ironborn.

I hope

29. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I still don’t think they will start doing flashbacks and that Cersei will receive the prophesy in modern day. I think Imogen could be a Child of the Forest and I agree with the other posters that the other girl could be fake Arya, although making her *that* young would be extra upsetting to see on TV.

30. Duval
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I’m pretty sure the Joseph Gatt warg character is mainly there for Melisandre burning the eagle.

I’m actually more curious as to what they’re going to do with Tormund, as he is still south of the wall. They’ll probably find some unrealistic way to get him to safety, but could it be possible they’ll be using Varamyr to take his role? Jon might trust him because he’s also a warg or something like that.

31. Victoria
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

I’m so happy about Varamyr!!!

32. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Duval:

maybe they will just take him prisoner there, and cut the stuff with him getting away since he ultimately ends up back at the Wall anyways.

33. Ramsayreek
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Strange, with all of the detailed, expansive history in this world (from Tower of Joy to the Mad King to Robert’s Rebellion to the Targ Dynasty, etc etc) I find it curious the first ‘flashback’ speculated to see and that there seems to be legit rumored casting for, is the Maggy the Frog/Cersei prophecy scene. Something odd about that imo.

34. FreyJoy
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I want to have Lord too fat to sit a horse! I feared they were going to cut him out and merge him with Bronze Yohn Royce until someone pointed out we had a merman fatso attending the red wedding… With the Boltons approaching Winterfell I cannot see how they are going to keep that one out.

35. Duval
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Matt Sinopoli,

Or that. They might sort of merge it with the Mance story line from aDwD

36. Jon
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Ramsayreek,

That means that the prophecy will be really important in the endgame.

37. The Ghost of Karl Tanner
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

You crack me up with those mate

38. Winnie
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Or the dark haired girl could be a child of the forest.

39. lyanna
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

UnbowdUnbentedUnhodor,

and a shadowcat!

40. Standozone
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:31 am | Permalink

So… Melisandre seems to be more inaccurate with her magic in the TV show. Balon Greyjoy seems to be a leech-proof false king. Seriously, I think that the Maggy the Frogg stuff could be a dream scene in the middle begining of the season… I hope we get a prologue before the credits with Balon’s death.

41. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

The COTF wear extensive prosthetics, from what we’ve heard, so they don’t need to ask for a brunette.

And I stand by the age issue with a fake Arya. Maisie is 17 and doesn’t look anything like 12 years old. And then there’s the issue of Ramsay marrying and having sex with said 12 year old. Not gonna fly.

The brunette could of course just always be some other random character we don’t know about yet.

42. Premislaus
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Maisie Williams is 17 and looks it.

43. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

RadoLukacs,

Arya is 14

44. cosca
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Damn D&D, are you gonna cast every worthless character? Who’s next, Nimble Dick?

45. Strider
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

We are truly getting a flashback then for Maggy the Frog. I’m still surprised to be honest. Didn’t look like the show likes to use the characters’ prophecies and visions so far.

Locke Reborn,
    I think yours is an excellent suggestion! I was thinking maybe a cold open for first ep.

Plus if they want to show the prohpecies as a valid reason to worry and drive Cersei a bit insane, they can always do two flashbacks back to back: one with Maggy’s prophecies to the girls, and one with young Cersei pushing the other girl off the wall later on or killing her, thus fulfilling one of Maggy the Frog prohpecies.

Maybe that’s just pushing it though!!! LOL

46. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Matt Sinopoli,

They will cover it as dream, before she wakes and Tywin is dead. A prophecy about someting that has already happend.

47. Ashara D
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Re: Greyjoys
    If they skip the whole Kingsmoot storyline and have YarAsha just go home to find her father dead and her uncles there, one on the throne and one about to sail off in search of Dany, then they won’t need as much screen time or confusing exposition. Also, the Greyjoy stuff is all filmed in Ireland, so they’d probably be the last ones cast because they have more control over the Painthall schedule. In any case, don’t despair! There is still plenty of time.

Or…they’ve already cast Mads and are keeping it secret. ;)

48. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Couldn’t edit. The point was it won’t male any sense

49. Brad Villane
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

They might be casting Varymyr to set up the fact that Wargs can go inside their animals when their bodies die… which is likely what is happening to Jon at the end of next season.
    That’s not something you wanna spring on the audience after a major character death.

50. Delta1212
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

FreyJoy,

I’ve been pretty blasé about cutting secondary/tertiary/quaternary characters thus far, but if they axe Pieman, I’m going to be very cross.

51. Paul R
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I really think they might be keeping Bran in the story next season by having him learn to use the wierwood trees, and therefore experience visions of the past and present. We may start to see some of the flashbacks that have been in the books previously to flesh out the ongoing story.

52. Locke Reborn
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Strider,

I was thinking cold open too.

53. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Premislaus: She (Arya) is 13, maybe 14 in show continuity though. And they make her look kinda small.

54. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

apart from the possibility that the brunette girl is Jeyne Poole (or another fArya) this is a list of unnecessary characters which are lowering the possibility of the greyjoys being included…

55. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

the character is 12 years old, the actress only has to look young

56. Frey Worm
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

Plus plenty of opportunity for another non canon appearance of hot pie meeting pieman. Could be a great discussion on gravy.

57. Drew
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

We need:

Victarion
    Euron
    Arianne
    Quentyn
    Doran
    Old and Young Griff

These are Must haves. If any of these are missing in season five, then we have reason to moan

58. cosca
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Drew,

I’m confused, why do we need Quentyn?

59. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

cosca,

it shows how the dornish have always been supporters of the targs even after robert’s rebellion. doran sending quentyn off to meereen to marry dany also adds to the ridiculous number of suitors which she will have next season. (hizdahr, daario, jorah, young griff, victarion, euron and quentyn!)

60. House Mormont
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Brad Villane,

Orell is in his eagle

61. Lyn
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Brad Villane,

I totally agree with you. Martin wouldn’t have made a prologue about warging it if it wasn’t going to become important. It has to be related to Jon’s death.

62. cosca
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

Neither of these are particularly compelling reasons for his inclusion.

63. crabber's son
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Ramsayreek,

I think all those other events are either too revealing or considered for some sort of future project whether it be a prequel series, a mini series, a movie etc. Also martin hasnt sold the rights to those events i think i read somewhere.

64. The B of B-town
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I think Jon will send Tormund north of the wall to collect the surviving wildlings who have rallied under Varamyr, but I dont see much other use for the character. I guess he can then teach about warging or get killed by the wights or WW

65. Frey Worm
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

The B of B-town:

if the above is true, than tormund covers for Val?

66. Varamyr 4 skins
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

My man varamyr it’s about time. Most important player in the game.

67. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth: the character is 12 years old, the actress only has to look young

Yeah but my point is that Arya doesn’t look 12 years old, so why would they put out a casting call for someone who looks like a 12 year old. I think people here maybe don’t know what a 12 year old girl actually looks like.

68. Troublesome Birdsong
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

So here’s a theory regarding Quentyn’s storyline given there’s a strong possibility they might not want to add yet another character.

In the Trystane audition tape that was leaked, he is telling Myrcella that he’s going to approach Doran assumedly, and ask if he can marry her. This doesn’t make a lot of sense given it’s implied they’re meant to already be betrothed. It’s a done deal, they’re just waiting till they’re older. But if that’s brought into question in the show, as in Doran could say ‘no’ for whatever reason, then it opens up the possibility of Doran going back on the marriage pact with Myrcella and instead sending Trystane to Meereen, thus merging him with Quentyn. They’ve aged him up to closer to Quentyn’s age and if they introduce him in the first couple of episodes, not show his voyage at all, and then show him arriving in Meereen and dying in the last couple of episodes (probably out of order from the original storyline) I think that would work. Obviously I would prefer to have Quentyn there, but I’d prefer this alternative over removing that storyline entirely. It also depends on Trystane’s importance in later books.

69. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

GREYJOYS!? they can’t cut that huge chunk of the story out two POVs since feast for crows are two of theon’s uncles; the iron captain, Victarion and the Damphair, Aeron No Arianne but varaymr? what are D&D doing with ASOIAF

70. Drew
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Because season 5 is meant to cover most of feast and dance. Quentyns ‘quest’ has big implications to the plot. He simply cannot be cut

Ours is the Fury,

cosca:
    Drew,

I’m confused, why do we need Quentyn?

71. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Drew,

agree 100%. D&D must be losing their minds casting these insignificant players. Sixskins is cool and all but how can you cast him over characters who actually have their own POVs.

72. Ser Florian
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

brightroar,

That’s assuming that the POV characters have been cut, which is in no way certain yet.

73. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Minor POVs that may be cut or have yet to be added to the show.
    Aeron Greyjoy: 2 chapters in AFFC, 1 confirmed in TWoW.
    Asha Greyjoy: 1 chapter in AFFC, 3 in ADWD. i think she’s becoming more important.
    Victarion Greyjoy: 2 in AFFC, 2 in ADWD. NEED THE IRON CAPTAIN
    Areo Hotah: 1 in AFFC, 1 in ADWD.
    Arianne Martell: 2 in AFFC, 1 confirmed in TWoW.
    Arys Oakheart: 1 in AFFC. Don’t necessary need him
    Jon Connington: 2 in ADWD. NEED HIM
    Quentyn Martell: 4 chapters in ADWD. ID like to see him but don’t need him.
    Barristan Selmy: 4 chapters in ADWD, 2 confirmed in TWoW.
    Victarion Greyjoy and Barristan Selmy both switch from title to named chapters in A Dance with Dragons, indicating that they are now considered to be major POV characters./b>

74. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Casting small roles in one storyline has nothing to do with casting large POV roles from some other storyline. They fill totally separate needs so one has nothing to do with the other. I don’t understand this criticism at all.

75. wizardeyes
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Ahhh Varamyr, Imogen and 12 year old brunette girl, my three favourite characters.

I want Arianne, Wyman Manderly and Randyll Tarly!!!

76. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Ser Florian,

very true. I’m just saying Victarion’s chapters are some of my favorites, i can do without the damphair. but we need Arianne she’s a major player in ASOIAF.

77. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

We don’t for sure he is dead. We haven’t got a confirmation.

78. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

AGREED

79. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

brightroar,

If the kingsmoot/queensmoot is happening in the show, we need the Damphair. He has maybe an importen role in TWoW.

80. brightroar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Nicolai Hansen,

agreed, only a godly man may sit the seastone chair. he’s currently rallying a coup against his older brother Euron. i feel like D&D are getting lazy. varamyr dies in the prologue and they’re casting him? strange

81. Ser Florian
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Even if we don’t get some of the characters we “need” or expect to see this season, it doesn’t mean we won’t see them. The Blackfish wasn’t in the Vale or season 1, but he wasn’t cut. Edmure Tully didn’t show up after the Battle of the Whispering wood in season 1, or at all in season 2, but he wasn’t cut. Baristan Selmy didn’t save Dany in Qarth and show up for season 2, but he wasn’t dropped.

Characters in the show don’t have to show up exactly when they show up in the books. And we don’t know for certain that ALL of Feast and Dance will be in season 5, or that the whole show will be 7 seasons… there’s an awful lot to be introduced from those 2 books. Could be they hold some back to introduce in season 6.

82. Nicolai Hansen
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Drew,

Someone is being cut. The Greyjoys or Quentyn Martell. The Greyjoys are most importent. If he’s storyline does’t happen, it won’t be a big change, because he don’t make an impact in the books.

83. The Dragon Demands
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

RadoLukacs:
    The twelve years old girl could be Fake Arya.

I hope they don’t cut that out.

84. Oberyn Wan Kenobi
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Where are the damn greyjoys.

85. The Dragon Demands
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The 12 year old can’t be Jeyne, given that TV-Arya is like 14-15 years old at this point.

86. Joh
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

It is a bit early to include Wyman Manderly, IMHO. As for Arianne and Randyll Tarly, I thought the rumor and general assumption was that they had already been cast?

87. Lyn
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Nicolai Hansen,

Well he was stabbed numerous times and he fainted at the end of the chapter. Even if he survived the stabbings nobody can heal him those injuries. I’m not saying Jon is gone for good because I think he has an important part to play in this story. But I think he is dead so either he warges into Ghost, is revived by Melisandre or turns into something similar to Coldhands. And if Varamyr is introduced I am inclined to believe it is going to be the first option.

88. Laura Ponce De León
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Do you guys remember all the fuss about that young girl casted last year? All the speculation about “oh, she’s gonna be FakeArya”, “oh, she’s gonna be the girl that get’s raped by the mountain”, “oh, she’s gonna be a children of the forest”… and she ended up beeing just a girl with no lines (nor ale).

So… I’m guessing she’s gonna be Danny’s cupbearer. Or one of Myrcella’s handmaidens in Dorne.

89. fuelpagan
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

cosca,

Because if you want Mirri Maz Duur’s prophecy about Drogo returning to come true, you need a sun that rises in the west and sets in the east.

90. Trilambdas
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

For those with any casting worries, remember: Game of Thrones is a Song of Ice and Fire. In Cogman, Gold, D&D, and GRRM I trust.

91. Winnie
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Good point Laura. We could be freaking out over characters who get no lines or maybe just one two scenes like the cannibal Then this season.

92. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Enough is enough I want clarification from D & D or HBO on whether Victarion or Euron will make the show!!!!

93. Annara Snow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: Not that small. She could pass for 15 at the youngest. We lowball our guesses because we know Arya is supposed to be younger. But if they were going to cast for a fake-Arya, they’d ask for an actress closer to Maisie’s age, not one so many years younger.

Yeah, casting as 12 year old for that character makes zero sense. She’s even older in the books (around 13), all young characters on the show are older by 2-3 years, and every young actor on the show is playing down their age. Characters who are supposed to be 12 on the show are played by a 16-year old (Tommen) and a tall, clearly pubescent 14-year old (Bran) and I think Art Parkinson (Rickon) is 12 now. Not to mention that the show has consistently aged up every teenage character who has been involved in any sexual situation, even when it doesn’t happen on screen (Tyrion was 16 when he got married in the show timeline, instead of 13). Why would they go in the other direction?

And of course, Arya is around 14 on the show and Maisie is 17.

Plus there’s the fact that 1) it would be difficult to find a 12-year old actress who could play such a role (both performance-wise and schedule-wise) and 2) I really don’t think they would or could film those scenes with a 12-year old actress.

Now, if there is a casting call for an 18-year old actress who looks like she could be 14-15 then I’d say we’re looking at our fake Arya.

94. Annara Snow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I’m laughing at the fact that people are now complaining about the show not cutting characters from the book.

95. AK
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I STILL WANT STRONG BELWAS

96. Annara Snow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Laura Ponce De León:
    Ours is the Fury,

Why would they have to be so specific then? A handmaiden or a cupbearer with no lines could have any hair color and it certainly doesn’t matter how old she is.

Face it, guys, Maggy the Frog/Melara flashback is coming.

I would be delighted if they finally used some flashbacks. I always found it annoying that they insisted there would be none. Why insist on the most conventional TV storytelling there is, in an adaption of a series like this, when there are so many shows that wonderfully used flashbacks, dreams scenes etc.? There is a huge backstory in the series that I can’t see done in a satisfactory way without some flashbacks, or weirwood visions or whatever. I’m hoping for the show to start casting – if not this year than for season 6 or 7 – characters such as a certain Lyanna Stark…

97. Annara Snow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Oberyn Wan Kenobi:
    Where are the damn greyjoys.

These are all castings for minor characters. The only major character we’ve seen a casting call for is Doran. They probably have specific actors in in mind for the Greyjoy bros, Arianne, Young Griff etc.

98. TheBerylfly
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Man, it really looks like Cersei‘s flashback is more and more likely. If I were the showrunner, I would start the season off with flashback as dream sequence and keep it more or less vague and then have the golden-haired little lionness attack Maggy while screaming and have adult Cersei wake into that scream

99. Sunfyre
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Some of you guys need a jump-to-conclusions mat.

100. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Sheriff Bullock,

Euron will most definitely be cast soon for season 5 (if he’s not already in the season 4 as some theories have speculated)

101. Kevin Anthony Carney
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

The fact that we’re seeing Maggy the Frog makes me wonder if we’ll see other flashback later on.

Hoping they announce some Greyjoy and Martell casting at Comic Con!

102. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Connect the dots people. No mention of Victarion last episode in Moat Cailin. Dany already has her 93 ships to sail back to Westeros. Victarion is being cut from the show. he is not needed.

103. Euron's blue lips
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Greyjoys, HBO, or I’ll feed you to the sea!!!

104. Hi-Fi
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I know people don’t really care for her, but I’d love to see Val in the show. I won’t be upset if she doesn’t make it, but I’d like to see her included.

That said, I’m super happy with the prominence of Dorne next season.

105. rationalMescalinic
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

it’s pretty obvious that Trystane is a different version of Quentin.
    and i thank the gods. we really don’t need even one episode of Quentin doing… nothing, except ‘chosing which boring path he will take to go from A to B

i’ll prefer to just see something else (i mean, a new ‘Trystane’ storyline, completely cutting Quentin’s quest from the show) but i doubt i’ll be that lucky :)

106. Chrysee
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

And what do we make of this?

Spoilers maybe? I fee like from this point forward everything is a spoiler for everyone.

107. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

^Sophie was referring to the Kings Landing riot scene in season two.

108. After The Feast
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

What is this speculation based on? I think that there is basically no chance he would show up this season. Next season is much more likely.

109. wizardeyes
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Joh,

I assume that Arianne will be in but I haven’t heard any confirmation of that and I’ve heard nothing at all about Randyll Tarly.

How is it too early for Wyman Manderly? What will Davos have to do next season if not going to White Harbour? And Reek and the Boltons will be at Winterfell next season – Wyman needs to show up to serve some pie!

110. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

I really think they could cut quentin story line. What do we lose if they dont have it? I also think fake arya could be cut. I believe that theres ways around it. I think personly I would love to see Val over Fake Arya.
    They NEED to hurry up and get to Jon and Aryas ability to Warg. I feel like its way to important to not have seen it yet. They should of done scenes similar to Brans when hes in Summer

111. Skipjack
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

We do not Hodor:

I think this is a solid guess. Man, I hate that guy. On the one hand, not casting him seems like a book spoiler but on the other, come on, I really can’t see him even getting out of the first third of TWOW alive. He dies in the battle of Meereen, after getting the horn within reach of Dany’s people, letting Moqorro bring it to them. I hope for his burnination. Euron, on the other hand, I have some fonder hopes for, though they are Mads Mikkelsen-less

112. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Chrysee:
    And what do we make of this?

113. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Chrysee,

If that is the case this is definately the season of rape.

114. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

This makes so much more sense

115. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

They are SO screwing up Strong Belwas. :)

116. falstaff
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I think its entirely possible that we’re seeing all these minor/medium level characters only because those are the ones with semi-public/open casting calls. It’s quite likely that for Arianne and Euron, they are directly approaching specific actors, much like they did with Sean Bean or Peter Dinklage. There are so many new characters coming, and tv viewers tend to get prickly about dealing with learning new names. An easy remedy for that is to cast known faces (ie: Diana Rigg, Ciaran Hinds). Makes them easier for the unsullied to pick out of a crowd. If I were a betting man, I’d guess some “big name” casting announcements are just over the horizon!

117. vlad
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t know what is going on, we get all the Sand Snakes, we get Areo Hotah, Varamyr (???), young Cersei and Maggy the Frog (one of the worst stories in the books with its foreshadowing), and we get no rumors about really important characters like: Doran, Arianne, Quentyn, Victarion, Euron, Val, Young and Old Griff…. honestly this season should bring the most new actors since Season 1. Will they have the guts to do it? I’m starting to doubt it.

118. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Hodorkovsky,

The flashback as a season opener cold open would be acceptable. Either that, or a… dream? It can work, but it’d be weird. They simply cannot do a straight flashback now, after four years, out of the blue. Structurally, in terms of storytelling, that’s preposterous. A cold open seems much less jarring.

Paul R,

If done right, that would be pretty awesome. I hope his greenseeing dreams retain a… well, dream-like quality to it, and are not straight flashbacks. A bit messy, disorganized, and presented in a way so that you can’t always see or hear everything. Disguising their purpose as flashbacks in such a way would make them less jarring, and more entertaining to figure out. Just for the fun of it, let’s imagine, what would you introduce through Bran-backs? The Tower of Joy? Other events possibly relating to Jon’s identity? The trident? The Mad king’s last days? Something even further in the past?

119. Insomnia333
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

TheBerylfly,

I definitely agree that the flashback has a good chance of being the cold open for the season. Two little girls running through a city, Unsullied are like “who the hell is this”. One of the girls goes “come on Cersie let’s go see Maggy”, Unsullied are “Cersie, WTF?”. Girls go see Maggy, get the prophecies ending with the bit about the valonquar’s hands around your neck and actually saying it mean’s “little brother”. Then cut to present day and Cersie saying “What do you mean he’s escaped?!”. This would immediately give the Unsullied insight into Cersie’s hatred of Tyrion and why she wants him dead as well as setup her confilict with Margaery for the season.

120. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

After The Feast,

The speculation is based on the reddit thread that Euron=Daario. In the show Daario captures the mereneese fleet consisting of 93 ships. That’s the same number of ships used by Victorian in the Iron Suitor chapter of ADWD. The theory basically states that Euron fast travels btw Pyke and Meereen using Warlock and Red Priest blood magic. Euron jokes to Asha during the Kingsmoot saying “I control the wind”. There are several times where Daario disappears in the books and Euron is present and vice versa. The theory also goes on to state that Euron is Dany’s “mount to dread” by process of elimination. Dany has only smough yes 3 makes so to speak Drogo(one to love), Hizdar(one to bed), Daario/Euron(one to dread)

121. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Dany has only slept with 3 people*

122. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

I think the Maggy the Frog dream is going to one of Bran’s visions.

123. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Geez it seriously sucks that you can’t edit comments on your mobile phone -_-

124. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I really, really hope that the Greyjoys have not been axed (there’s some gloriously epic dysfunction in that family), but I have a sinking feeling that Daario and the Meereneese navy will replace them…

125. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Drew,
    brightroar,
    wizardeyes,
    Oberyn Wan Kenobi,
    vlad,

That makes you think they are casting these characters over more important characters? Honestly, people here are being childish. We simply don’t know if the Greyjoys, Arianne or Quentyn are being cast or not. We don’t. These news are rumors and leaks of casting calls —of course we won’t get a full picture! And D&D are probably looking for specific actors for POV characters anyway, as they have done plenty of times in the past —these leaks are for open casting calls; vital characters will have a private casting process. Stop and think for a minute, for the love of the gods. What big, POV characters has been cut in four years of adaptation? Come on, give it a try. Which storyline has been, not condensed, but completely deleted from the show? You can’t say, because it hasn’t happened. Please stop being so alarmist. There are plenty of reasons to speculate and wonder, but literally none to worry.

126. Winnie
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

falstaff,

Quite possibly. I still hold that Aegon can be cut from the story and I’m positive Victarion will be.

127. Awful Awful Knight
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

RE: Fake Arya

I don’t think this is that casting, but to everyone who is saying it can’t be because Maisie looks older: NO ONE IN KL OR THE NORTH KNOWS WHAT SHE LOOKS LIKE NOW.

She was last seen in KL before her father died. A 12 year old might look enough like the Arya they remember to pass. Only The Hound and the BwB know what she looks like now (and maybe some guards of the Vale, *if* (and that’s a big if) they believed her.

128. outdoorcats
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Well I don’t know if I’m the only one, but I’m actually very excited to see Varamyr. I can’t imagine he’s fulfilling the same role he does in the books. If I had to guess he’s going to be one of the particularly unsavory Wilding leaders Jon is forced to negotiate with, igniting more tensions between Jon and his men.

Essentially, I think he’s replacing The Weeper (?), if only b/c David and Dan find the character of Varamyr more memorable/interesting.

129. Chrysee
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer: Bad journalists are BAD. They quoted her out of context from another interview she did talking about her near rape scene in Season 2 where the Hound saved her.

Blerg! I had a mini freak out bc (book spoilers?) there is an upcoming Sansa chapter that will be “controversial” but people have been debating what that means for years now And since the show has caught up with her storyline..

130. Annara Snow
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

brightroar:
    Minor POVs that may be cut or have yet to be added to the show.
    Aeron Greyjoy: 2 chapters in AFFC, 1 confirmed in TWoW.
    Victarion Greyjoy: 2 in AFFC, 2 in ADWD. NEED THE IRON CAPTAIN
    Areo Hotah: 1 in AFFC, 1 in ADWD.
    Arianne Martell: 2 in AFFC, 1 confirmed in TWoW.
    Arys Oakheart: 1 in AFFC.Don’t necessary need him
    Jon Connington: 2 in ADWD.NEED HIM
    Quentyn Martell: 4 chapters in ADWD. ID like to see him but don’t need him.
    Barristan Selmy: 4 chapters in ADWD, 2 confirmed in TWoW.

Um, Asha (aka Yara) has been on the show since season 2, and Barristan has been on the show since season 1.

131. Ser Florian
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Except, Euron is not Daario. The theory doesn’t work, unless Euron is using teleportation to flit back and forth between the West of Westeros and Slaver’s Bay. The first time we properly hear about Euron (Caetlyn chapter in Storm), he’s just sailed into Lordsport, the day after Baelon dies… meanwhilem Daario is either with Dany outside of Yunkai, or on the way to Mereen with her, showing her Dusky Roses.

132. outdoorcats
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Actually, Varamyr could not only take the place of the Weeper, but ‘Mother Mole’ as well, i.e. (refresher course on ADWD for y’all) the one who has the vision that a fleet of ships will come to rescue the wildings at Hardhome, leading thousands into a death trap for the WWers. Definitely would be a dramatic set-piece, no?

I’m guessing as to the whole Young Cersei debate that it will be a flashback via dream sequence, just like in the books (it’s the dream Cersei has before being awoken to learn Tywin is dead) – so not a ‘flashback flashback,’ not really breaking their rule.

133. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

The Ghost of Karl Tanner:
    Veltigar,

You crack me up with those mate

Thanks man, it’s great to hear that you like them. I feel like I’m going to make this a Top Gun/Mads Mikkelsen quote day.

Iceman: You can be my wingman any time.
    Maverick: Bullshit! You can be mine when we cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron.

134. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Ser Florian,

Daario is in not with Dany when Euron shows up. Daario is supposedly in Yunkai. Not saying the theory is confirmed just dating that your argument doesn’t have the facts right

135. Turncloak
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Ser Florian,

Daario is not with Dany when Euron shows up in Pyke. Euron and Daario appearances are spread out through several chapters. Not saying the theory is right, just stating that your information is wrong

136. FreyJoy
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Another character I Qpod like to see: Moqorro. And I do hope lancel lannister will be nack

137. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

outdoorcats,

We actually already had that kind of flashback dream in Season 2, with Sansa reliving the near-rape before waking up startled and bleeding the bed. So not only would it not break the rule; it wouldn’t even be the first one to push it.

138. jentario
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

My guess?
    Varamyr is going to be the new head of the Wildlings once Mance is taken captive by Stannis, instead of Tormund which will take Val’s role and will be sent to negotiate a deal to let the Wildlings pass under the Wall. Tormund is at the moment in the wrong side of the Wall to end up as the post battle leader, and Val was cut from the show. Fairly simple!

139. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Carne,

I was sure we would see him again in episode 10, & Hafthor’s interview where he mentioned spending a week filming in Belfast practically confirmed we’d get a scene of the Mountain screaming in agony as Qyburn examines him. I’m glad they’re not sweeping that detail under the rug.

140. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos:

It is possible – hear me out on this one – that whatever remnants of the Greyjoys come into play don’t show up until Season 6.

141. serum
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Carne,

thanks for the link, so this pretty much confirms that ser robert strong is in next season, or maybe the season after depending on how long qyburn’s experiments take

142. Ser Florian
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

He is, pretty much. You get Dany’s chapter outside Yunkai where she meets Daario as part of the Stormcrow’s delegation… then Arya’s chapter where the Ghost of High Heart prophesies Balon’s death… then a Jaime chapter… then a Caetlyn chapter where Balon’s death and Euron’s return are confirmed. Daario is outside Yunkai, while Euron is sailing into or sitting on Pyke. There might be a tiny possible window, of a week or two, but not enough time for him to be flitting back and forth.

Apologies if this is a double post.

143. Aldi_A
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Idk if you’ve seen this yet but Mads talks about game of thrones at the 15 minute mark http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q192fCmpWM

144. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Anton Lesser confirmed in an interview with Flicks And the City that Qyburn is in for next season, for 5 episodes, and that he has another scene this season, necessarily in episode 10, that has to do with an the Mountain being unconscious. So I guess that storyline is in!

145. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Carne,

Specifically, Qyburn will be in for 5 episodes next season, an appropriate step-up considering his new position, and Anton Lesser also said he will be in another scene this season 4, with the Mountain being unconscious. So Ser Robert Strong and that whole storyline is confirmed!

146. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

What!?!? They are casting young brunette girl and young blonde girl, but no Greyjoys? WTF, D&D!

147. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I reaally hope you are kidding. That makes you think they are casting a young brunette girl instead of more important characters like the Greyjoys? We simply don’t know anything about the casting of these characters. Nothing at all. These news are rumors and leaks of casting calls, so it’s pretty much obvious we are aren’t getting the full picture. Not even close. These leaks are for semi-open casting calls; D&D have looked for specific actors for important characters in the past, and they will probably do it again.

148. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

He’s kidding.

149. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

Wasn’t it obvious? Seriously, though, Victardion is my least favorite POV in the entire series and the Ironborn are a bunch of overrated sea scum, who get their asses handed to them any time they face decent competition. I’d be fine with cutting all of them, save for Euron.

150. Darquemode
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Glad Varamyr makes the show!

It seems like the show is almost using the wildlings in phases, focusing on one or two roles each season instead of carrying on a larger core group from season to season. So having Varamyr be one of the focus roles “post Mance” makes some sense I guess….

The young girl roles make me think we will be getting a Maggy the Frog flashback instead of moving Maggy to the present. Of course the girls could just be used in WIldling scenes or maybe as seafood sellers on Braavos even….

151. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

jentario:
    My guess?

Maverick: Talk to me, Goose. Say that Mads Mikkelsen is cast as Euron

152. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Unfortunately, it wasn’t obvious. Others here have said similar things, in even a more maniacal and whiny manner, and weren’t kidding at all. If you were satirizing them and I couldn’t honestly tell the difference, that should tell these people how ridiculous their complains sound.

153. Rygar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

If I am reading this casting news correctly, D&D are taking their detractors comments seriously and are starting to adhere more to the books. These too young girls have probably been cast to be late for their rapes. Pur-i-babies should be happy.

154. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Aldi_A:
    Veltigar,

Holy Shit, I haven’t seen that yet! Thanks, so much. Damn, my opinion of NCW (which was already skyhigh) has rocketed past the stratosphere now. Friends with the Mads himself! And he’s open for an appearance on the show :o :o :o Preferably, in a fightscene with NCW!!! Cast this man as Euron now! really, one of my predictions in the books is that Euron will eventually wind up allied with Cersei at CR and that he’ll be the cause of Cersei’s final fall. And a fightscene with Jaime or the Hound would fit right in there

I can’t thank you enough for showing me this :D Even if he doesn’t get cast, we’ll always retain the dream :D

Wolfman: [watching a video where Mads Mikkelsen teases about becoming a part of GoT] This gives me a hard on.
    Hollywood: Don’t tease me.

155. Strider
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: Does he take all of Val’s roles in the book I’d like to see Kit contemplate about marrying the giantsbane. Would be funny :D

156. Mad Hatter
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Casting for young Cersei and friend?
    Hmm.
    I thought they weren’t ever ever ever doing flashbacks?

157. Rygar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Strider,

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall…

158. jentario
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Oh fuck. I’m fucking LATE!

159. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Strider: HAHAHHAHAH This made my day so far!!! I’m sure Tormund would have to say something about THAT one. He’s marrying no crow…

I wonder how he would feel about giving Jon a son of his own blood XD

Rygar:
    Strider,

Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall…

Is that a pun about the tranny Lannister King? XD

Carole: Hey, Goose, you big stud!
    Goose: That’s me, honey.
    Carole: Cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron or lose me forever.
    Goose: Show me the way, honey.

160. Strider
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

You have the gift of foresight, what did you see?

161. davy
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: I wonder how he would feel about giving Jon a son of his own blood XD

Is that a pun about the tranny Lannister King? XD

162. Salty Dornishman
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I think Imogen is going to be the girl who doubles for Myrcella when Arianne (or whomever) steals her to crown her. I don’t think they’d cast a real 12-yr old girl for Fake Arya given the type of experiences she has when marrying Ramsey

163. Delta1212
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

AK,

I love Strong Belwas, but we should have seen this coming. After all, he lets everyone he faces cut him once.

164. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Sunfyre:
    Some of you guys need a jump-to-conclusions mat.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Varamyr, Imogen and brunette girl almost certainly one episode (probably the 1st) characters. TV shows always need to cast lots of 1 or 2 episode guest stars and casting these characters in no way takes away from the likelihood of casting major characters.

And no, they aren’t casting a 12 year old to play Jeyne Poole. Not only is Arya aged up on the show, but Jeyne is older than Arya. She was Sansa’s friend. If they do cast Jeyne they will cast an 18 or 19 year old.

165. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Luka Nieto,

Funny. I rather like Victarion, because he’s such a lug and because he plays so well against Moqorro.

But I think the show has done right by the Ironborn for the most part, because they’re such terrible strategic planners and funnel all of their resources into plunder while still retaining this superiority about their prowess in all things “Iron Price.” So of course Moat Cailin would be a goddamned disease-infested cesspool, and Ralf Kenning would be pissing about Theon being a woman blah blah blah only to get an axe in his head. It’s probably true that they’ve basically clipped those characters now but we could still see them (we don’t know yet) and even could wait till Season 6.

166. Veltigar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

davy: Sorry to go offtopic here but can you please quit with those Mad Mikkelsen quotes? It’s very annoying because I keep thinking it’s an actual quote worth reading just to figure out it’s the same old bullshit again. And I guess everyone has gotten your point after 100ths and 100ths of these quotes.

Sorry, no can do. Cato the Elder used the same tactic and it worked for his goal to (also, it’s always the final quote of any post made by me and there is never any normal text underneath it. It’s very easy to skip.)

Salty Dornishman:
    I think Imogen is going to be the girl who doubles for Myrcella when Arianne (or whomever) steals her to crown her.I don’t think they’d cast a real 12-yr old girl for Fake Arya given the type of experiences she has when marrying Ramsey

I don’t think a 12 year old would be a good double for Myrcella whether or not they keep the original actress or recast her, she’ll be older than 12. I’d say 14-18 would be the range she’d be in I think the original actress is 16 or so now?

Goose: The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid and did not cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

167. Chickenduck
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’m staking money that it isn’t a flashback.

It’s a vision from Bran, either via Weirnet or otherwise.

168. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

My vision for the season 5 opener:

Cold open with Varamyr. He gives some exposition about warging to the wildling women he’s huddling up in that shack with in order to set up warging abilities for Jon and Arya. Then he is killed in the same way he is in the books including starting his second life.

Opening credits.

Bran scene. We learn that the Varamyr scene was a weirnet vision. BR does some mentoring.

Then we get to the flashback/dream with young Cersei. Perhaps with the impression that Bran is seeing it as a flashback as Cersei simultaneously dreams it. Cersei wakes up to the news that Tywin is dead. This way the flashback would be organic to the usual tone and flow of the show.

169. Nick_Scryer
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

If indeed Varamyr is to be used to introduce Jon to his warging abilities I hope it’s revealed through a Bran’s learning scene first.

Something like Bran asking BloodRaven why he is the only one in his family with the ability to warg with BR answering “you’re not the only one, the others just don’t know it yet” end scene. DUN DUN DUN

Cut to Jon being introduced to Varamyr.

170. jentario
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Bran seeing Young Cersei is retarded, sorry for being blunt. She’s probably going to dream it, or maybe it’ll be the cold opener of season 5, before the credits (which is my bet).

I think Varamyr will just lead the Wildlings after the downfall of Mance instead of Tormund, which is now in south of the Wall.

171. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I don’t care if you disagree with me. Especially since I’m just spitballing, but please don’t use an ableist slur. I have family members with disabilities and find that word extremely offensive.

172. Lili
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

There’s no way they will cut the greyjoys k——–. the only point of yara “rescuing” theon was to make her a heroin, so when it happens, the audience is on her side – or, at least, remember her.

173. jentario
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Sorry! I forget that the word is offensive
    And yeah, this is all opinions… You might think MY opinion is stupid. I just don’t think there’s anything to gain from having Bran watch the flashback. The fact that he’s a handy flashback machine doesn’t mean he becomes an exposition tool for storylines that have absolutely nothing to do with him.

174. Rygar
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

you know I’m such a fool for you you got me wrapped around your finger do you have to let it linger do you have to do you have to do you have to let it linger

175. Hi-Fi
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

Dolores O’ Riordan cast as Val?

176. Chickenduck
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Also, I think Varamyr will only have one scene, basically a single scene in E1, via Bran in some way, possibly Bloodraven showing him about warging and an example of what your second life is. So we’ll see him about to die, he tries to warg into the woman, then continues on his second life in his beast. Probably no more than that.

Regarding Bran’s being a flashback machine, it could be done well, as long as it isn’t overdone. But I’d agree in principle with other commenters above that it has the potential to be lame.

But hey… I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve actually seen the episode. Too many times in the past panicking about things which sounded awful, but turned out to work fine for me on screen ;)

177. Bran The Builder
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Is there any instance of a POV character(except Chett)not being cast so far? If no, then isn’t it guaranteed that Arianne, Victarion and Quentyn will be cast?

178. jentario
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Bran The Builder,

No. AFFC and ADWD are completely different from the first three books, and the adaption will have to be much less faithful in order to make a good season. Victarion and Arianne are both far from safe, while Quentyn and Aeron are all but confirmed cuts. Time will tell.

179. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Bran The Builder,

Pate & Merrett Frey are the only minor ones that spring to mind right now.

180. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I was really worried for a while there that they weren’t considering casting the Brunette Girl. This is truly exciting news!

Tyrion Pimpslap,
    The Brunette Girl would kick the ironborn’s collective asses any day of the week! Those ninnies!

181. Ser Florian
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Bran The Builder,

No Merrett Frey yet either. Still time for them to appear though.

182. StrokemeMarg
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Rygar,

You hinting the closing credits end song for season four is one performed by the Cranberries?

Concerning Imogen, didn’t a previous comment on another post say the reading was specifically for Young Cersei, and stated so on the script sheet. If so this would indicate Imogen is a totally new character.

183. Griffinsroost
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I’m calling it now. Yara gets back to islands and sees a ship with a certain sigil on it…..

184. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Veltigar

Yep. The most important part of Myrcells’s storyline is that she’s older than Tommen, and now that he’s aged up, they can’t use a 12 year old girl as her double. I doubt they would even bother to show the double, TBH. Just have someone mention it in passing like in the books.

185. Strider
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I knew it! All that talk about “O Penny, Where Art Thou?” was clearly just misdirection on your part.

186. StrokemeMarg
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Completing my previous post, Imogene is rooted in Gallic and is normally associated with northern peoples. Could Imogene be a Wildling girl (Ygritte/Gilly), a homeless waif living among the ruins of Winterhell or an Umber, which means the return of everyone’s favorite wildchild.

187. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Rygar:

I should think Zombie would be a more appropriate Cranberries song to play in the season 4 end credits.

188. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

I wonder if Big and Little Walder will finally make an appearance. It’s not too late. I’m not sure how important they really are but enjoyed their ADWD stuff. We need Freys around to hate.

189. Euron's blue lips
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Victarion POV was best writing in book 5, that & Theon’s.

JonConn & Griff need to accompany Tyrone in Essos.
    kingsmoot needs to happen.

HBO should release another new cast intro video like they didfor season 3 additions but this S5 one would new major cast of:

Arianne, Quentyn, Victarion, Euron, Damphair, JonConn, Young
    Griff, Moqorro, Kindly Man.

190. Euron's blue lips
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

^The video: ” meet the new cast” featured 10 new actors/ actresses.

191. Rabid Grunt
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

In all fairness, most of these characters could just appear in one scene.

192. Maxwell James
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

Personally, I hope next year’s cold open is the Tower of Joy, complete with the s1 footage of Ned waking up. Then, post credits, cut to Bran.

We’ve waited long enough. It’s time.

193. GaiusB
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

It so hard to guess sometime, if people are serious or just trolling. 12 years old girl for Ramsey to sexually abuse?…

Those girls could be from flashback, but also they could be some minor characters from other storylines, in any case they will be extremely small roles and there is zero reason to be angry why Victarion, Euron, Arianne, Quentin, Manderley were not cast instead of them.

Though i am sceptical on Ironborns, i expect one of them to be cast to prevent Yara be the Ironborn leader after Balon finally die. Euron could replace Balon and not get any more screen time then him. Ironborn storyline is very isolated, full of expansive naval scenes, ugly men and only sex scenes they could add would be rapes of salt wives. And Dario already have those ships and no mention was made about Yara uncles yet, while even Elia Sand was already mentioned.

194. Jesteros
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Why does anyone care what age Fake Arya is, or how it contrasts with Arya/Maisie’s age? I may be remembering incorrectly, but if the characters in the book/show knew what the real Arya looked like, a wedding with an impostor wouldn’t have happened at all.

195. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Arriba,

it makes no sense the E5 talk betwenn cersei and margaery

I think you may have misinterpreted that talk between them…neither one of them was sincere in any way, shape or form. Cersei was only pretending to ally with Margery because she thought she needed her and only temporarily at that. Once Tyrion escapes, her father is dead and Jaime less than supportive of her….she will feel incredibly vulnerable and the decision to allow Margery to marry Tommen will come back to haunt her. So then we get the Maggy the Frog thing and her descent into madness.

196. StrokemeMarg
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

My line of thought concerning Ironborn is Yara gets back to Pyke, Balon dies, she takes control, this leaves several options.

1. Show Yara has abandoned Reek unlike book Asha, who wants to redeem him. Therefore Yara has no more interest in the North, thereby removing any of the interactions with Stannis.

2. With Daario’s 93 ships, Vict fleet is not necessary, no need for Kingsmoot and therefore Euron, besides Mads won’t be available.

3. Casual viewers won’t want some magical horn entering the fray, High Fantasy would ruin the realism of GoT for them; magic in GoT is more visceral fantasy than high.

4. Therefore Yara travels to Meeren with a small fleet to form an alliance with Dany. Stannis wouldn’t forgive IB let alone permit their allegiance. Lannister’s and Tyrell’s despise the IB, therefore her only options are Dorne or Dany for an alliance. Three Dragon’s trump the awesomeness of the Snake Snakes, although personally I would take the latter, myself.

197. Winnie
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Vic isn’t needed since D already has a fleet and will probably by cut but the Crows Eye will probably make it to be another big bad.

198. Tony
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Ser Florian:
    Turncloak,

Oh…. how could we all have been so blind! Daario = Euron = Littlefinger. Teleporting all across the world creating havoc!
    no seriously… that theory ranks pretty high amongst silliest theories ever heard. The 93 is just a coincedence or a joke by someone like Bryan exactly because they KNOW people will make theories like this about it!

The 12 year old (!!) being Fake Arya makes ZERO sense… Either the part is cut (possible) or she shows up in S05E01 (it would have been more logical for her to show up last week really). The fact that there is an announcement for 2 young girls and the fact we know there is announcement for Maggy says it all. Cold open Cersei at Maggy the Frog.

Finally Imogen on this show! Sadly not Imogen Poots but what can you do?
    (she would have been perfect as Margaery for example)

199. Zack
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Young Cersei! I hope that stuff makes it to the show…but then, I’ve hoped many a time for other flashbacks as well. Most notably the Tower of Joy.

So many of those scenes would have been stunning to watch. I don’t know why they’d want to start doing them now, but it’s a step in the right direction anyway.

200. Joh
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Nevermind. You’re right, my bad.

The fact that parts of three different books are being crammed into Season Four has me all confused.

He’s right on schedule. Bring on Manderly! Pass the pie!

It is probably too much to hope we’ll see Wylla, or Lyanna Mormont…

…but one can still hope.

“WE KNOW OF NO KING BUT THE KING IN THE NORTH, AND HIS NAME IS STARK”

201. Kyrion
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Tryastane is the “youngest son”of Doran Martell, this was said in episode 4 of season 2. Quentyn has to exist in the show universe.

Arianne can be cut since no reference has been made to her, but I would find it shocking if they casted 3 sandsnakes and left out Arianne.

202. Eurio
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Michiel Huisman was cast as Euron.

203. outdoorcats
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

You’re right, I forgot about that!

204. johnnytata
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

the powers of inference here are mindboggling.

on the other hand, one can only read so many panicked posts before just getting bored.

205. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 5, 2014 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:

In the books, I rather enjoyed the ironborn and their overzealous storylines. In the show, not so much, especially this season. So much opportunity to up the hype for the Pyke tykes, but alas…disappointment…..so far.

So far, one leech per season…there’s hope yet for Balon vs Bridge Troll.

Sorry, TP & Veltigar, Euron will be amalgamated into Daario, as suggested by others. Or Penny.

206. Junarta Taufik
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Paul R,

I think so, too. In fact, I think all Stark children are psychic- they just do not know it… yet.

207. Annara Snow
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 1:50 am | Permalink

Ok, I’m going to say it now: thinking that Arianne, Young Griff or – especially – fArya can be cut, is completely absurd. I don’t even understand where the idea about cutting Arianne comes from, it makes zero sense. The only reason and reasonable possibility to cut her would have been if they had cut Dorne completely. This, however, is like thinking they could use the Tyrells but cut Margaery, or saying that they will spend a lot of time on King’s Landing but they don’t need Cersei there, or that they could have cut King Robert.

Thinking that fake Arya can be cut makes even less sense. It’s not even a case of a character obviously being set up for major storylines – we already know the story (and it’s a great, poignant story that even people who hated ADWD have to appreciate) and how crucial the existence of this character is to it. Not only does she affect the entire North with Jon, Mance, Stannis and the clansmen but if she does not exist, then the climax and resolution to Theon’s arc does not exist, either; that would be four seasons of major character development and ton of screentime (for a main character who is the showrunners’ favorite) thrown down the drain. And I can’t even begin to get an idea why anyone would even want to do that. It’s not like it’s expensive or difficult to do.

208. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:11 am | Permalink

Arriba,

You missed the whole point of the scene, maybe even of all Cersei scenes that episode. She was playing nice to influence the three judges at Tyrion’s trial. In the case of Mace, indirectly through his daughter. Everyone should have gotten that at last when Oberyn *told* Tyrion in EP7 that Cersei had tried to influence him, but I guess not. This interpretation has been confirmed in the extra material by the writers.

209. Unbowed Unbent UnHodor
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 3:28 am | Permalink

Varamyr 4 skins:
    My man varamyr it’s about time. Most important player in the game.

hahaha

210. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,

Cutting Arianne makes no sense, I agree. But it’s still looking suspiciously possible. Hopefully in the end we’ll look back at this moment and think about how ridiculous it was to think she could be cut.

Jeyne Poole or her replacement will definitely make it. 100% sure. Cutting her negates the whole point of the Winterfell storyline and obliterates the Theon character development. There is no problem at all in casting a young-looking 18 year old actress with black hair.

Cutting Manderly does not seem like something D&D will do. They love these things, this type of character. I really don’t see him being cut, I just don’t. It’s possible, though, that Manderly will be an Umber (given Rickon going to Last Hearth). Wyman Umber. Doesn’yt really ring the same. Could they just bring back the Greatjon to fill that role? Time will tell… I’m am hopeful and optimistic for just Wyman Manderly, no bullshit.

Young Griff has to make it. He clearly is an instrumental player in TWOW and ADOS, so cutting him would mean D&D are leaving the books entirely and doing their own thing. The interviews they’ve had before imply that this is not the case. Old Griff should make it, we need at least one companion for Young Griff and if Areo Hotah makes it this guy just has to.

Victarion is so cuttable that it hurts. He can be eliminated even if Euron is kept, and there is a chance that both will be cut (though I honestly doubt it, they absolutely have to follow up on Melisandre’s prophecy and Yara in general, just forgetting about the Ironborn would be very bad storytelling and Bryan Cogman has implied that there will at some point be a follow-up to Yara’s attack on the Dreadfort).

The rest of the major characters have already been listed.

211. NomadicDirewolf
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:21 am | Permalink

still no wyman manderly, arianne martell, any of the greyjoys, or JonCon and Aegon surely D&D couldnt have cut them all, and surely most of them’s introduction cant wait another season?

212. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:28 am | Permalink

jentario,

For me, Victarion became cuttable the minute that, in the show, the Meereenese fleet was said to be captured by the Second Sons: the fleet was described as including about ninenty ships, the same amount as Victarion’s. It was explicitly said that Dany could march to King’s Landing if she wanted, but decides not to, making her decision to not abandon the slaves more powerful. She already has a fleet. She could use a larger fleet and more men, of course, but technically Victarion’s role has been filled.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. The fact that he can be cut so easily, by just making it so the Meereen fleet is just as large as his’ and that it survives the slave revolt, is rather telling. D&D know what’s going to happen; this probably means Victarion’s not going to be able to marry Dany, which I don’t think is news to anyone. What if, in the end, his only narrative purpose is to give Dany a fleet? If so, Victarion really is completely cuttable. If his role goes further, he will of course be included. However, that his fleet in the books and the Meereenese fleet in the show have the same number of ships remains suspicious.

213. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 6:29 am | Permalink

NomadicDirewolf,

Clearly, we’re getting casting news by storyline. So far the only major major character we’ve got is Doran, the others are all minor characters. We got the minor Dorne characters (most of them, anyway- the tertiary characters such as Arys Oakheart and Darkstar are still up in the air). We’ve gotten King’s Landing castings in the High Sparrow, the Septa and now the Young Cersei and her friend thing. Next we’ve got one Wall character, one Meereen character and one Arya character. That’s it. I expect more random characters to make the list (kind of like this small update) in the future (hopefully soon!).

As to big roles, D&D and Nina Gold might already have actors in mind for them so it’s easier to approach people rather than go through a hundred auditions. Manderly, for instance, is a very easy role to cast. A number of names come to mind for him. The same is true for the Greyjoys which are very extreme characters. Young and Old Griff are equally easy castings. Kindly Man? A piece of cake. Arianne is a bit more difficult, so the lack of her in the list is a bit disturbing.

And if that doesn’t help, think about how these castings are all focused on King’s Landing and Dorne with a few randoms around as well. When/if we get the Iron Islands, it will be in a “round two” of large-scale castings alongside the other storylines that still haven’t received castings.

214. jentario
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

Luka Nieto,

There’s still the dragon horn, which could be very important. Since Dany isn’t there (presumed dead by most), Victarion might just decide to steal the dragons and go away. If that happens, it’s safe to say we’ll likely need a Victarion. Or maybe Euron and Victarion can be combined into just Euron? Euron comes to marry her, decides to take her dragons and leave and ends up wherever book Euron is. Anyhow, I never for once considered that Dany would marry Victarion. He’s a dumb brute, if Dany marries him I’m done backing her.

But wouldn’t it be just like GRRM to make the horn backfire? Maybe it judt doesn’t work. Maybe the dragons come to Victarion and he’s all happy “Yes! It’s working!” and then they shoot up a fireball at him and he just dies and the horn sinks with his ship. Wouldn’t that be hilarious? GRRM did say POVs are going to get axed, and those that partake in the battles are surely in the greatest danger. Obviously, this means you shuld cut Victarion, there’s no reason to waste screentime on him.

/speculation

215. Rygar
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Another head hangs lowly child id slowly taken and if I violenve causes silence who are we mistaking. But you see, its not me, its not my family in your head in your head they are fighting. With their tanks and their bombs and their bombs and their guns in your head in your head they are crying.

216. Rygar
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Wow spelling

217. Chríss
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Luka Nieto,

But wouldn’t it be just like GRRM to make the horn backfire? Maybe it judt doesn’t work. Maybe the dragons come to Victarion and he’s all happy “Yes! It’s working!” and then they shoot up a fireball at him and he just dies and the hornsinks with his ship. Wouldn’t that be hilarious? GRRM did say POVs are going to get axed, and those that partake in the battles are surely in the greatest danger. Obviously, this means you shuld cut Victarion, there’s no reason to waste screentime on him.

/speculation

I hope he doesn’t kill off Arianne or Cersei. Two of the only characters I still care about!

218. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Luka Nieto:
    jentario,

That’s the moment that made me go WHAAAAAT?! The coincidence was huge. Plus there is still no mention of Greyjoys being cast. Who knows though?

Like you said, maybe Vic’s role is larger than we imagined. At this point the speculation game is more for fun than anything else. Imagining all possibilities. Much a brain game, a puzzle to guess how Benioff and Weiss redo the book plots and fit everything together.

219. Strider
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard:

So far, one leech per season…there’s hope yet for Balon vs Bridge Troll.

I’m still wondering how did this not happen yet?!?! Baleon was the second leech, was he not? and it was a mention of his death in the books, not a scene. Will they do a scene though?

With Baleon already a cast actor, they could definitely do something big. Maybe like someone else mentioned, bring back everyone’s Faceless Assassin? That would beef up the Greyjoy House storyline while cutting Vic.
    Oh jeez… Look at the speculations I’m typing. I’m staying too long on wic reading the threads lol

220. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

jentario: Manderly, for instance, is a very easy role to cast. A number of names come to mind for him.

There is only one name that matters and that is BRIAN BLESSED! GIVE A DUMB OLD BIRD A SECOND CHANCE!

(And I’m about as insane on this one as Veltigar is on Mads = Euron.)

221. Baramos
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I never did understand the show’s intense desire to avoid flashbacks. It kind of broke its own rule when it had Sansa wake up from a nightmare about almost being raped/killed during the riot. They could have had that kind of device be used a zillion times to fill in the backstory.

222. Luka Nieto
    Posted June 6, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Baramos,

Leaving aside the discussion about flashbacks being a good idea or not, there’s a big difference between a moody dream with absolutely no dialogue and a straight-up flashback. At this point, simple flashbacks simply would not work; you can’t change the structure of the show 5 seasons in.

However, if they bend this rule and resort to sort-of-flashbacks in the style of the only dream we ever saw (Sansa’s quick recollection of the attempted rape) or in the style of Bran’s vision (a quick mix of clips with vague meaning), it will be okay: no dialogue, moody atmospheric sounds, a mix of non-linear and subjective imagery… Don’t get me wrong, I like the idea, but it’s not the ideal tool of exposition you were probably picturing. And if they DO resort to flashbacks with no framing devide (a character’s dream or vision), that would not just be cheap storytelling but also incredibly confusing to the audience.

223. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Strider,

I do hope we get Balon’s death on screen….and I hope it is not an accidental death but quite a relevant assassination. Wow us, D&D, with your plot cognizance and transparency! Just get it over with already! Leeches only have a half-life of 2 seasons!

224. loco73
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 3:29 am | Permalink

I want Arianne Martell and the Sand Snakes cast…that should be interesting to see who gets chosen!

Nina Gorld and Robert Sterne have their work cut out!

225. Joh
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

GreatJon of Slumber,

Personally, I am hoping for Richard Griffiths as Manderly.

And Mads wouldn’t make a bad Damphair, either.

226. Luka Nieto Garay
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Joh,

Sorry to tell you the news, but Richard Griffiths died more than a year ago.

227. Steve Fortier
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Lord of the Waters,

I think it’s possible that they already have the actors chosen for Euron and Victarion and Arrianne too, maybe that’s the reason they’re not doing a casting call. They probably offered the parts to specific people they liked before going through the audition process.

228. Fury
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

There are rumors about Young Griff being cast.

229. Adam
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I may have missed it, but i dont think anyone mentioned that its possible the “young cersei” is actually the casting call for Myrcella? Similar to the recasting of Tommen when he played a bigger role. I mean if you wanted a believable daughter, wouldn’t you cast someone who looks like the mother?

230. Boggieboy
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 8:17 am | Permalink

This girl is claiming on the trailer for the season finale to have been cast as young Cersei. I have a screencap of the comment but don’t know how to post it. I don’t know if she’s telling the truth or not, but she certainly looks the part!

231. Sean Boggiano
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Boggieboy,

This is the source. The comment is linked so it appears first in the list. She claims that they will be filming her scenes in October, and Mellara is being cast next week. Even though it may not be the most reliable source, I have to say I do believe her.

232. Rob Miller
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Luka Nieto,

THERE REFERING TO FLASHBACKS AND MIXING IT WITH BRAN HAVING IT WELL IF IT IS POSSIBLE I’ CURIOUS TO KNOW IF MR BRAN CAN TAB INTO A DEAD MANS SOUL AND KNOW THE SECRET OF MR SNOW HEHE

233. Rob Miller
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

LordVega,

Ours is the Fury,

Luka Nieto,

234. Immi
    Posted June 16, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Hey, my name is Imogen, that qualifies me, right?!

But ooooh flashbacks! Perhaps they will keep Maggy The Frog then, I always thought they’d cut her as it could be percieved as muddying Cersei’s motives, but I don’t have a problem with the inclusion.

1. […] More characters rumored being cast for season five […]

2. […] More Characters Rumored Being Cast for Season Five […]

3. […] Winter Is Coming have been speculating on some new characters heading to the HBO show when it returns for season 5 and two of them are apparently set to appear flashback form. […]

4. […] sources at WinterIsComing.net, here’s the latest in casting […]

5. […] In addition to some of the recent leaked casting breakdowns suggesting Dorne, a few other call sheets have hit the web, including one that suggests we might see some flashbacks to Cersei’s youth. Via WinterIsComing: […]

6. […] In addition to some of the recently leaked casting breakdowns suggesting Dorne, a few other call sheets have hit the web, including one that suggests we might see some flashbacks to Cersei’s youth. Via WinterIsComing: […]