Rosabell Laurenti Sellers on landing the role of Tyene Sand in Game of Thrones Season 5
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

San Diego Comic-Con brought us a slew of casting announcements, including the long awaited Sand Snakes. We now have our first interview from one of the new cast members, Rosabell Laurenti Sellers, who will portray Tyene Sand, the daughter of Prince Oberyn Martell and his paramour Ellaria Sand.

Rosabell recently spoke with la Repubblica about landing the role of Tyene, and admits that before her audition, she was not familiar with Game of Thrones at all.

“I realized it was a phenomenon from the reaction of others. My agent asked me to shoot a video alone, at home, in which I tried to kill someone. A few weeks later, I was in London, and they called me saying ‘the creators of Game of Thrones want you for a second audition.’ I was then subjected to intensive sword training and martial arts.”

At the time of the interview she had done a bit of homework, having just finished watching the show up to the end of the second season. She says that she likes the actors, and the Shakespearean gravitas mixed with modern British and vulgarity.

As for what we can expect from Tyene Sand in Season 5, she will toe the line between good and bad, like many characters in Thrones. Robsabell says, “I don’t know if I will be good or bad, I must avenge the death of my father. From my point of view, it’s the right choice, but killing people maybe isn’t.”

Rosabell also speaks candidly about the nudity in the show, admitting that she has signed a contract to only appear nude from the waist up. The interview was given late last week, and it was noted that she would be departing for Belfast the next day, to begin shooting Game of Thrones in the studios.

For the full article visit la Repubblica.

1. Andrea Drake
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Our italian pride, vai Rosa!!! :)

2. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

So is it done deal? No Arianne.

3. wilson wilson
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre:
    So is it done deal? No Arianne.

Guess they couldn’t find anyone with the requisite huge dark nipples.

4. King Stannis
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

For fuck sakes don’t start whining. They have not said anything. This is about Tyene

5. Wodja
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

But I want Ariaaaaaaaane!!!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    I’m going to tell my mommy!!!!

6. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

I’m guessing they’re just gonna keep her like this, since she’s now the daughter of Ellaria. No blonde wig. Blegh.

7. King Stannis
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:

Works for me. I know, I know her mother is really a Septa. Makes no difference, she’s still Oberyn’s daughter and that’s all we really give a fuck about honestly. No need raise the purism to the max on this.

8. Daniele Zecchinato
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

So glad to see someone from my home country on Game of Thrones :D

9. Zeus
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Oh my god how dare they not cast a blonde haired blue eyes actress in this role. Don’t they understand the “meaning of dorne”????

10. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

I’m making an observation. Period.
    I see you only come out to start arguments here, but you can calm down now.

11. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

I wasn’t aware I was whining. I thought I was just asking a question on a message board full of people asking similar questions who might have educated answers. And haven’t they started filming so if there’s no cast announcement yet isn’t is somewhat safe to wonder if they cut the character or not. And yes it is about Tyene. One of ariannes. Cousins whom we would assume might be taking over her story arc. So I think it’s a acceptable topic to post about given the topic of the story

12. King Stannis
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    King Stannis,

I’m making an observation. Period.
    I see you only come out to start arguments here, but you can calm down now.

Jeez Batman, your observation skills are incredible. I couldn’t help but notice how you disguised your rant with a “blegh” at the of your sentence. Meaning your disappointed on a minor change that we’ve yet to see on screen so you can spark this page as another whining fest on how the show is fucking everything up. It’s getting old, we are now 5 seasons in.
    I know a whiner when I see one, whiners make me thirsty.

13. King Stannis
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre:
    King Stannis,

You must be new to this site. Wouldn’t you think the moment Arianne is confirm it would be posted already? The staff on this site as well as others do a good job searching for GoT related news. You’re reaching my friend.

14. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Uh, mods?
    Why is shit like this allowed? Thanks!

15. Andrea Drake
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Jon Blackfyre,

I hope not

16. Lightbringer
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

It’s possible to raise questions and concerns without poking at each other, keep it classy!

17. vlad
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

That’s a recent picture?? Will she have short hair or wear a wig? Interesting.

18. Paul
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

If they transfer Arianne’s story to one of the Sand Snakes (and likewise with Quentyn and Trystane) then I don’t really care wtf their names are.

And if there really is nothing more to Quentyn’s story in TWOW then I’m fine with them cutting the whole thing.

19. Carol Lang
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

You should be banned. Find someplace else to play. You’re always the bully on the playground.

20. Ellaria Sand
    Posted August 5, 2014 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

I am not Tyene’s mother. She is blonde. Oberyn and I have black hair.

I already have enough trouble with my 4 girls and the psycho poisoner ain’t one.

More seriously : if WiC doesn’t get it right, who will ?

21. King Stannis
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 1:04 am | Permalink

Carol Lang:
    King Stannis,

You should be banned. Find someplace else to play.You’re always the bully on the playground.

“A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good” -Stannis

22. Phil
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 1:19 am | Permalink

changing Tyene to being Ellaria’s daughter is something I just don’t care about, it’s a small thing, and it doesn’t matter.

Leaving Arianne out though, is a BIG change, and a HUGE mistake.

23. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 2:40 am | Permalink

Carol Lang,

Stannis fanboys are some of the absolute worst people in this entire fandom. I expect nothing less from him.

24. King Stannis
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    Carol Lang,

I’m a bigger Jon Snow fan. Jamie second and Stannis third on my list. You can’t judge a whole fandom based on a couple individuals. The way i see it, they all have whiners. Stannis fanboys complain about how he is portrayed on screen. Somehow they believe a silly theory that D&D is out to sabotage him because it was once said he wouldn’t make a good king.

Back to the topic of the article. I can’t wait to see the actress playing Tyene to rock the screen. I didn’t care for the character in the books but since this is a show I’m open for surprises.

25. Lyonel Selmy
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 5:02 am | Permalink

How’d you guys come across this interview? It seems really obscure…must have taken some real work.

26. Hodorkovski
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 6:32 am | Permalink

Lyonel Selmy:

La Repubblica is a major Italian newspaper and there are fans of GoT who speak the language. What’s so obscure about Italian?

27. Lyonel Selmy
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 6:44 am | Permalink

Hodorkovski,

Nothing is obscure about Italian, didn’t mean to give that impression. My comment was directed towards LB and how one goes about looking through so many international newspapers for GoT news. Like, do y’all have a way to do it systematically? Are interviews pulled from other sites that already found them?

28. A Man Grown
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 9:10 am | Permalink

King Stannis,

And hungry? How many chickens do you need, Your Grace?

29. A Man Grown
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Spoilery speculation Maybe Trystane takes the Quentyn role after Jaime brings Myrcella back to King’s Landing. Then, after Trystane dies, Doran legitimizes one of the Sand Snakes as the new heir to Dorne. Possible?

30. PatW
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

*sigh* I believe that I prefer the Sand Snakes as written, and can see no good reason to do them any other way. I will be interested to see what D&D do with their version– I’m sure it will work– the question is whether it will work better.

31. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

A Man Grown,

That makes absolutely no sense from Doran’s point of view. Especially since almost all of his arc is based around not being able to trust them.

32. A Man Grown
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

Yeah from the viewpoint of the books you’re probably right. Just grasping at straws to try and figure out how they can hit all the major beats while leaving out half the characters.

33. Book Tyene Fan
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I do not care that she is not blonde. She can wear a wig. I am bothered by the fact she is not the daughter of a septa. Her storyline is basically going to King’s Landing to make nice with the new high Septon. She cannot go do this if she does have any type of religious background/upbringing. I am not sure what the point of her character is now.

34. Renly's Peach
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Book Tyene Fan,

Well, in their defense, she COULD still be a septa. Your mom doesn’t have to have been one for you to be in the profession. It’s logical they make her pious, since they’re also introducing the High Sparrow and the whole Faith storyline this next season.

I’ll be very mad if they just make her another “hurr badass fighter fukkin legend” type, though. We’re past that shit.

35. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted August 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Secondo me, lei e un’ attrice forte e belissima. Forza Rosa!

36. Arya
    Posted August 7, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach:
    Carol Lang,

I laughed really really hard. Thanks Peach. :)

37. Renlyisnotright