A Clash of Kings, the second book in George R.R. Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series, is getting a glossy new collector’s edition from the Folio Society. “Founded in London in 1947, The Folio Society publishes carefully crafted editions of the world’s finest literature,” reads the organization’s About page. “We believe that great books deserve to be presented in a form worthy of their contents.”
The books we select for publication are timeless – we know they will be enjoyed and appreciated now and in the future. Because each book is considered as an individual object of value in its own right, there is a variety to our aesthetic – the only uniformity is in the quality of every single book.
Sounds pretty high-minded. But based on the trailer for the new edition of A Clash of Kings, it’s not just talk. Take a look:
That is one handsome book.
This edition comes complete with all sorts of fancy fixins, including:
- The book is bound in three-quarter blocked cloth with a printed and blocked cloth front board, and set in Vendetta with Esmeralda.
- Features six full-page and two double-page full-color illustrations by Jonathan Burton.
- Printed in black and gold throughout.
- Eight illustrated chapter openers and nine illustrated house sigils.
- Endpapers printed with house sigils.
- Includes “The Kings and their Courts” features, plus eight family trees.
A Clash of Kings already has a couple of special editions out their, including a fully illustrated edition, but one more can’t hurt, especially when it’s this pretty. If you’re interested, you can order yours here.