Interviews for the road
By Hear Me Roar on in Press.

While everyone waits for tonight (or early morning, depends on where you are located), here is a handful of interviews to keep you company.

• First off, Access Hollywood chatted with Jerome Flynn (Bronn) about his role in the coming season:

• Sophie Turner (Sansa) also dished on season three and her experience with acting alongside Peter Dinklage. (She has just turned 17, by the way. Happy birthday, Soph!)
  • Next, this flippant interview with Finn Jones (Loras) at WhatCulture!
  • And last but not least, a rare gem, an interview with a director, David Petrarca. An audio is also available when you follow the link. Here’s a quote deserving of our attention:

Q: What is the experience like working with massive ensembles?
A: It’s actually great, so you don’t have two or three actors who are there all the time. Every actor’s coming in fresh. They all want to be there. They all love the show. You’re already ahead of the game. They’re coming in completely in love with the material. They know their characters. They’re amazing actors. They’re coming in with strong choices already. You’re doing such a huge amount of pre-visualisation on that show because of dragons and stuff like that, that the pre-production process is extraordinary. There’s a full time storyboard artist. There’s full time pre-vis/vis-effects people. I can come up with an idea and run over to the storyboard guy and say, “Hey, let’s draw this up. Let’s see what this feels like.” I can take that over to the pre-vis department and say, “Let’s do this in three dimensions. Let me look at a little movie of what it will look like. A cartoon of it.” And they do it, and then it’s, “Let’s push the dragon over there. No, let’s move the dragon there. Let’s make it a little bigger.” The shoot, on that show, is down the road. Your imagination is allowed to run wild. There’s not a lot of, “No, we can’t do that.” It’s, “Let’s figure out a way to do it.” And that’s kind of great.

UPDATE 02/23: Two more interviews, with Josef Altin (Pyp) and Mackenzie Crook (Orell), are embedded after the break. Courtesy of Flicks and the City and Red Carpet News, respectively.

1. James
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Psst, David Petrarca link points to the Finn Jones interview.

Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Gah, thanks guys. Fixed.

3. Dark Star
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Where my dragons at?

Cannot. Wait.

In one of the promos with Dany and the Unsullied, I noticed something streak by in the air. It has to be a dragon, right? But I never saw any discussion about it. I thought it was awesome.

4. zod
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

The David Petrarca’s interview was really interesting!

It was a behind the scene video so, unless they have real dragons for S3, it was just a bird. ;-)

5. Dark Star
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:23 am | Permalink

zod,

You don’t think it could it have been a CGI dragon? I think it was too big for a bird. Maybe they didn’t want to show the dragons in the behind the scenes vid, so we just got a blur of it.

I am trying to find the vid. Okay, watch at the 56 second mark. It looks likea dragon flying over the heads of the Unsullied.

6. Mat
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Interesting to hear Jerome Flynn there suggesting that Bronn is no longer Commander of the City Watch, but we’ve heard no casting speculation for either Addam Marbrand or Osfryd Kettleblack. So who do people think will be taking over from Bronn?

7. Hi-Fi
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Mat,

Varys already said to Tyrion that Bronn has been demoted in last season’s finale. : )

Looks like we won’t see much of Bronn this season, according to Jerome. That’s a shame, but expected.

8. Delta1212
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

zod,

It’s HBO. Anything is possible.

9. zod
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Dark Star,

Yeah, I already knew what you were talking about. But the shot looks like a behind the scene one, so my guess is that it’s just a bird.

10. Dark Star
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

zod,

Respectfully, I hope you are wrong :-)

I think it is a dragon, especially because of what Patrarca has to say about them.

11. Igor Veloso
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Jerome Flynn left the impression that besides the bro-love, Bronn and Tyrion are about to get some social or professional tension between them lol

Posted February 22, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

13. Dark Star
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Hear Me Roar: That’s very much a bird shape, sorry :) CGI would be added very late in production.

Ah, come on you guys! Let this girl have her dragons! :)

14. mags giantsbabe
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Nice David Petrarca interview. I love it when people on the inside honestly talk about the nitty gritty of the film industry. This quote was also interesting:

M: With you shepherding individual episodes, I’d like to hear what you think about recap culture, which has sort of emerged in the last few years, where individual episodes do get reviewed and picked apart before the full frame of the series is out of the way. How do you feel about that when you have more of a hold on specific episodes?

DP: All publicity is good publicity. I mean, I have no problem with people reviewing episodes. It’s more like fanboy situations. People who are into the nitty gritty. Particularly when you’re doing an adaptation of a book, like Game of Thrones. So much of that criticism, episode to episode, is, “In the book it was this way, but you did this! Oh my God, I can’t believe you changed it that way!” It doesn’t really matter to me, but I guess there’s a huge crowd who loves the ins and outs, and the subtleties of what’s different. It keeps people watching. It keeps them engaged.

15. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

mags giantsbabe:
    DP: …So much of that criticism, episode to episode, is, “In the book it was this way, but you did this! Oh my God, I can’t believe you changed it that way!” It doesn’t really matter to me, but I guess there’s a huge crowd who loves the ins and outs, and the subtleties of what’s different. It keeps people watching. It keeps them engaged.

Likewise, I think S2E3 handled the capture of Arya’s gang, the origin of Arya’s ‘prayer’ and Yoren’s death better in 5 minutes of screen time than 20 pages of writing did. But on the other hand, her radically different storyline in Harrenhal was a severe letdown in that it failed to capture the horror of her personal situation that was originally intended, a horror that goes on to shape her through the rest of the story.

16. The last dragon
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I think they did good at making her story while being at harrenhall mostly due to tywin and her sceans together. But then I read the book and would hasn’t rather had them make the weasle soup and show how bolton men were being held prisoner there

17. Saltpans
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

There’s a new Flicks and the City interview with Pyp’s Joe Altin

18. Juego de tronos
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

wow! how much information! =)

19. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver: I think that for me, it’s whichever method tells a more compelling story is the one I prefer. Generally it’s what came first (in this case, the books), where there’s a good reason for everything. Some things translate to a visual medium far better than others, however. Case in point: The House of the Undying. On the page it was open to interpretation. If those pages had been translated to the screen, well, one famous scene would be ruined for sure and the audience would be scratching their heads at the others.

The last dragon:
    I think they did good at making her story while being at harrenhall mostly due to tywin and her sceans together. But then I read the book and would hasn’t rather had them make the weasle soup and show how bolton men were being held prisonerthere

It appears that D&D tried to encapsulate the horror/danger of the Harrenhal situation in that scene with the torturers or the captives, but almost negated that by then giving Arya the “cushiest” job possible – Tywin’s cupbearer, which would then be almost a position of privilege compared to the kitchen helpers. That denies the viewer of the chance to see Arya truly learn how the “other half” lives under the nobility, since once again she’s almost a noble by being a “house servant” and not a kitchenmaid. Removing her political awareness of the prisoners and their plight removed the plot of Arya learning how to grasp some political power for her house by freeing the Bolton/Stark prisoners with her weasel soup, and thus giving Harrenhall back to the North…the irony seen later is that she freed Bolton/Stark men in order to help her brother, and some of those very men actually ended up killing her brother instead. Now that irony is lost since Arya had no role in helping Boltons/Starks escape as she did in the books. That was an important lesson in trust/allegiance and betrayal for Arya that she did not learn in the show now, it would have been her second important lesson in that political aspect of the realm after the betrayal of her father by the Lannister/Baratheons. So, how will Arya learn that even a seemingly cohesive area like the North has its own divisions within that she was never aware of? We shall see how that works out in S3.

20. coronaking
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

I really like this! :D

Thanks for acknowledging that there are fans all around the globe, not only in the US! I think it will be around 5 am here when the trailer debuts. I can’t wait!

21. Dark Star
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Dark Star: Ah, come on you guys! Let this girl have her dragons! :)

LOL! In light of the new poster that everyone seems to hate, I HAVE BEEN VINDICATED.

Tell me that isn’t a flying dragon at 57 seconds, and I will take what is mine with fire …………

22. Braincandy
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Dark Star,

That’s a bird.

23. Isabelle
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Great to hear that Mackenzie will have a good-sized arc this season–five episodes with Orell! (And his daughter is so lovely! Aww!)

24. mags giantsbabe
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

The fact that Mckenzie will be in five episodes gives me hope for Jon’s story this upcoming season :)

25. mags giantsbabe
    Posted February 24, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver and Mrs. H’ghar

I agree. This has been discussed ad infinitum but I think that is what also happened with Jon’s story, that a lot of good material were sacrificed (for what exactly I don’t know) that made Kit’s arc incredibly shallow, unfortunately. But, I’ve made my vows not to be too critical this year and in hindsight, the constant encounters Jon has with older male figures (down the road as well) in the books may come across as repetitive in the show, which is way they probably gave Ygritte more prominence in the show (with that being said the story with Quorin in the books was a brilliant read), but I don’t know how well two Night’s Watch members being chased in the icy mountains would have translated onto screen. However, not seeing the Halfhand with Jon sitting around the fire was disappointing and both Kit and Simon Armstrong would have been amazing given the screen time and dialogue to do this scene.