Dame of Thrones: Daenerys Targaryen
By Rebecca Pahle on in Editorial.

Welcome, my lovelies, to Dame of Thrones. What’s Dame of Thrones? It’s a new biweekly panel expressing love, admiration, and all sorts of positive feelings for the approximately twenty thousand female characters in A Song of Ice and Fire. George R.R. Martin looks at all your other shows’, like, three lady characters with any amount of screentime and he laaaaaughs and laughs. Your friendly neighborhood appreciator of the ladydom of Westeros and beyond is me, new Winter Is Coming contributor Rebecca Pahle. I am: An Associate Editor at The Mary Sue, where I take Game of Thrones perhaps a bit too seriously (ha no). A regular contributor at Pajiba, where ditto. A lover of puns. And an ardent supporter of the One True Lobster King of Westeros, Stannis Baratheon. All shall love him and despair.

But with Dame of Thrones I’ll be providing handy run-downs of the women, one every two weeks. First up: KHALEEEEESIIIIIII.

There are no spoilers beyond the jump for non-book-readers, don’t worry.

Name: Daenerys Stormborn of House Targaryen, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons.

Family: Brothers—Viserys and Rhaegar Targaryen, deceased. Parents—Mad King Aerys II and Queen Rhaella, deceased. Husband—Khal Drogo, deceased. Son—Rhaego, The Wouldabeen Couldabeen Stallion That Mounts the World—Deceased. Basically a whole bunch of dead people.

Known Associates: Backup dancers Ser Khaleesi Notice Me Jorah Montmont, Ser Barristan Selmy, The Most Adorable Eunuch You Will Ever Meet Aka Grey Worm, Skeezy Blue-Haired Fabio (at least in the books) Daario Naharis, Miss Missandei, Ser Not Appearing In This Film (or Strong Belwas. Miss ya, buddy).

Weapon Of Choice: Dragons, one-liners.

What’s Her Deal?: The last living child of Targaryen King Aerys II, Daenerys is determined to roll into Westeros with an army at her back and claim her outrageously uncomfortable throne. At the moment she’s across the Narrow Sea concerning  herself with the business of freeing slaves, but make no mistake, she’s still the teenage girl-shaped pall of death hanging over the heads of all the usurpers. Or flying over. On dragons. She is coming for your souls.

Why Is She Awesome?: Dany rose from an inauspicious background—most of her family killed, no friends, and there was that whole thing where she was married off to a guy she never met so her sadistic brother could be king, and she was basically expected to shut her mouth and let the dudes in her life do the talking—to be one of the few contenders for the Iron Throne who actually has a shot at getting and keeping it. (Stannis, I love you, but I am not deluding myself about your chances.) Daenerys knows she might only have one shot at achieving her goal, so she bides her time and makes (for the most part) smart decisions instead of behaving rashly. Plus she has dragons. Dragons.

Most Badass Scene: The freeing of the Unsullied in season three, episode four. Kraznys mo Nakloz? More like Kraznys mo Nakloser. A greater mic has never been dropped.

Best Quote: Where are my dragons?!” “Dracarys.” It’s so nice and succinct.

Fan Theory Du Jour: Remember Daenerys’ son Rhaego, who was supposed to be the prophesied Stallion Who Mounts the World until, whoops, magical shenanigans led to a stillbirth? One fan theory says that the Stallion Who Mounts the World is one of Ms. Mother of Dragons’ metaphorical children: The dragon Drogon.

Merch Me Up: People love the Mother of Dragons, so there’s a lot you can spend your money on if you want to proclaim your allegiance. You can get yourself a dragon claw necklace or a Targaryen sweatshirt, or you can even wrap Dany’s dragons around your fingers in ring form.

It Belongs In a Museum: AKA Rebecca picks a piece of fanart she really likes. There’s a lot of Daenerys fanart—more Dany fanart than dresses with weird necklines in Margaery Tyrell’s closet—but I saw this painting by Jason Wright (available as a print on Etsy) and was smitten like a kitten:

Daenerys and Falkor by Jason Wright

That wraps it up for the inaugural edition of Dame of Thrones. Have a character in particular you want me to turn my eye toward two weeks from now? Drop me a comment. If there’s a bit of merch or fanart you want to pimp at me Littlefinger-style for possible inclusion, you can send the link to [email protected] And you can find me on Twitter @RebeccaPahle.

1. shar
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

2. King of the Ashes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Dracarys

3. Joshua Taylor
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Dany haters in t minus 10 seconds and counting…

4. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Least favorite fan theory: She marries Tyrion and dies giving birth to his baby.

5. DarthRachel
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

luff this.

6. Stylax
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I really like this

7. Renly's Peach
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

the approximately twenty thousand female characters in A Song of Ice and Fire

I don’t think so. More like 30ish relevant ones. I’ll even be generous and give you 40. So this won’t last too long.

8. HellFell
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I still think Tamzin Merchant would’ve pulled off Daenerys better than Emilia. Har!

9. Bex
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Huzzah! If you’re looking for an obscure lady I would always vote for the fabulous Walda Frey.

10. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Offtopic – I love your Vikings recaps, they are great.

11. jentario
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

HellFell,

Nah. Disagree. She could play season 1 victim Dany alright but I don’t think she’d be a good Mother of Dragons season 3-4 Dany.

12. Kay
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I just love the theory that Drogon is the stallion that mounts the world! Mirri Maz Duur – hahaha! Also, Drogon is quite the mama’s boy still.

HellFell:

Tamzin Merchant would’ve been really funny-looking starting from the Season 1 finale when dragons came into being. Emilia Clarke has the Valyrian and acting with CGI creatures down perfectly.

13. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

OT: Amazon and HBO have reached a deal to allow Amazon Prime to stream older HBO shows. Newer shows will be available 3 years after they air. The only show that will not be available? You guessed it, ‘Game Of Thrones’. HBO considers the series to be too valuable to include in the deal.

14. King of the Ashes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I love the character Daenerys very much. my favorite character in the ice and fire series. and i love Emelia Clarke’s portrayal of her. i think she has shown great depth in being season one Dany to being the conquerer breaker of chains Dany. i love her. just wanted to make my opinions known before the Dany hate mob showed up.

15. wizardeyes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

I’m no Dany hater but she’s definitely not one of my favourite characters. I can understand why people love her – she does have her moments but I just don’t think she’s that inherently interesting. She has a great character arc – starting from nothing, sold into a marriage and she grows to become the head of a revolution and a Queen. I find her self-entitled, sometimes annoying and somewhat delusional but those aren’t criticisms of her as a character – all GrrM characters are flawed and that’s why they’re so great. Also, why is it that Emilia Clarke is about 1000 times better and more convincing in the scenes when she’s speaking Valyrian?? I wish she spoke in it all the time.
    So who’s up next? Cersei? Margaery? Brienne? Yara? Ygritte? Gilly? Missandei? Ellaria? Sansa? Arya? Lysa? Olenna? Damn GoT has some great female characters.

I really hope we get Arianne, some sand snakes and an expanded role for Myrcella in season 5.

16. WompWomp
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I’m not a fan of Arianne, or the Sand Snakes, but I’d love to see them on the show. Pascal’s Oberyn is such a refreshing addition. I can’t help but think I’ll like a lot of characters better in live-action than I ever did on the page. Still rooting for Doran’s inclusion. He’s one of the few non-Oberyn Dornish characters I enjoyed in the book.

Tyrion Pimpslap,

It’s a smart move, and expands HBO’s market share on an additional front without costing it anything. It’s no surprise that they’re keeping GoT as the flagship of their traditional service model. I also think it confirms my personal stance that Netflix and Prime together are the best bang for your buck when it comes to TV.

HellFell,

I can’t speak for Merchant’s acting abilities, but Emilia totally nailed my internal image of Daenerys, in appearance and temperament. She captured Dany’s uncertain nature very well early on, as well as her transformation. It’s her material that was wanting, especially in S2, which I consider the weakest season so far.

17. John W
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Welcome to WiC Rebecca!

18. wizardeyes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

WompWomp,

I think Arianne is underrated. She’s pretty complex – she’s very ambitious to the extent of being somewhat power-hungry. She wants to rule Dorne and further more she wants to be loved and adored by the people of Dorne. She wants to represent Dorne. She has a very pure love of her country and her people unlike many other rulers that couldn’t give a fig about the people they rule. She also has quite the complex about her brother Quentyn (I also find Quentyn to be an under-rated character) in that she spent years believing that her father meant for her to be Queen of all Westeros by marrying Viserys. But now that that plan has fallen through and Quentyn is travelling to betroth himself to Daenerys she is once again paranoid and jealous of Quentyn and she isn’t sure whether she wants him to even return or not. I think that she’s learned alot from her cock-up with the crowning Myrcella plot and that she’ll be very interesting going forward – she could become a major player.

Yeah I am loving Pedro Pascal as Oberyn. All his scenes have been brilliant and he’s injected the Kings Landing storyline with a real sense of excitement and danger that it was somewhat lacking in season 3. I too want Doran and all the Martells!

19. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Speaking of Oberyn, when is he finally going to be referred to as the Red Viper in the show? Surely Cogman worked the nickname and the story about how he earned it into one of his episodes.

20. Queenofthorns
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Lol funny article, Dany fans represeeeeent!

Also refreshing to hear from another Stan fan that doesn’t get apoplectic about Dany being a pretender etc.

21. WompWomp
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I find Doran to be one of the more captivating players in the greater game for his longstanding loyalty and exceeding patience, not to mention a similarly pure love for all he presides over. I found Quentyn and Arianne to be wanting in execution when I read of them, but I feel they can be adapted well if the show had the time to consider their addition. Of course, it’s kind of hard to justify the investment in realizing Quentyn given his inglorious end.

Even knowing what comes of it beforehand, Oberyn still strikes me as a gamechanger when I see him on the show. I fully attribute that sensation to Pascal’s performance and the material he has been given.

22. smitzz
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

In that portrait why does she have a mini version of Falkor the luck Dragon from Never ending story curled around her neck?

23. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Other than the Dracarys moment, which is of course ridiculous, my next-favorite Dany bit is when she tells her followers in “Fire and Blood,” before she walks into the fire, that those who oppose her will die screaming.

Mirri Maaz Duur chimes in to say “You will not hear me scream” and Dany shuts her down with “I WILL.”

She doesn’t even give her the respect to fully turn her head in her direction, just a half or quarter turn. It’s awesome.

24. Ter
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I love Arianne as well. House Martell is probably my favorite. I would love it if the show would feature more of her than there is in the books. They could add more scenes with her and Myrcella prior to that whole plan failing.

But since she’s not in the show yet, I would love to read about Cersei next! I love the idea of this panel!

25. Interior Bannisters
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

In b4 Dany hates =D

26. wizardeyes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

Well we know from teasers/ previews that there’s going to be an Oberyn/ Cersei scene and an Oberyn/ Varys scene so perhaps in one of those?

27. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Well, at least the author named one of Mhysa’s dragons (Drogon!). When will the show officially deliver the names of “R & V”, the other dragons (including the white one wrapped about Dany’s shoulders in the above painting)? We’re waiting….patiently!

28. Notawhitewalker
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I liked her in the first book and think the actress has done a heck of a good job but she just started to piss me off in the later books. I kind of hope her dragons eat her….

29. wizardeyes
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Notawhitewalker,

She committed the worst crime a character can commit – she was boring.

30. Interior Bannisters
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Actually my favorite scene from the show was from season 1 where she hits Viserys and says “the next time you lay a hand on me will be the last time you have hands”

31. Notawhitewalker
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Haha yep exactly

32. Ours is the Fury
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

smitzz:

Because she’s lucky? Who doesn’t want Falkor?

Love the piece, Rebecca. Happy to have you. :)

Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome, Rebecca. I like you because this:

Kraznys mo Nakloz? More like Kraznys mo Nakloser

Love me some Kraznys hate!

34. Patrick Allen
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Dany’s story on the show is pretty repetitive, which I think is the issue lots of folks have with it. How many hero shots of her liberating slaves and taking cities do we need to see?

The good news is, I think things are going to pick up this season for her in Meereen. Her Dario storyline is also a nice new element.

35. Mimsy
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

smitzz:

Because he’s the BEST dragon ever! Well.. there’s Puff.. but Falkor is highly intelligent and oodles of whimsical fun.

That’s a great picture! lol

36. Josla
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

I love Daenerys and the fact that she is repetitively liberating slaves from city to city to the point of making some people feel bored makes me love her way more. She proves what kind of a queen she’s gonna make and it is the kind of person I want to see on the iron throne. Her story is one of courage and constant growing. She started from nothing and now have thousands of followers and some of the more badass characters are her allies (Jorah, Selmy, Grey Worm, where-r-u-Kovarro?). I love her and enjoy her most than any other storyline in the series (bar Arya’s). I love Emilia Clarke’s portrait of the character as well.

Posted April 23, 2014 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

I feel sorry for anyone complaining about Dany’s storyline being boring or repetitive right now, as this is by far the best her story ever gets.

38. BranSnow
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger:
    Least favorite fan theory:She marries Tyrion and dies giving birth to his baby.

Hahahaha

39. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Lex:

I respectfully disagree. The moment Drogon appears at Daznak’s Pit, slays everything near it, then allows Dany to ride, will be one of the best moments of the series. The chaining and subsequent escape of R & V and the Harpy infiltration won’t be bad either.

40. WompWomp
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Agreed. It’s just a long walk to get there. Also, it still doesn’t get her very far. Just out of Meereen.

Lex,

I think they made something memorable out of her arrival at Meereen. I’m hopeful they can do the same elsewhere.

41. Lady Mormont
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    I’m no Dany hater but she’s definitely not one of my favourite characters. I can understand why people love her – she does have her moments but I just don’t think she’s that inherently interesting. She has a great character arc – starting from nothing, sold into a marriage and she grows to become the head of a revolution and a Queen. I find her self-entitled, sometimes annoying and somewhat delusional but those aren’t criticisms of her as a character – all GRRM characters are flawed and that’s why they’re so great.

Couldn’t agree more.

42. Ashara D
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

Ageed. From the released Arianne chapter, it looks like she will be playing a bigger role going forward. I cannot wait to see where the Dornish are going and to learn more about the Daynes and the ToJ.
    DORNE!

43. Ashara D
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Oops! Also meant to say I like this new column. Welcome!

We REALLY need that edit button back on mobile.

Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

That’s a great scene, but it’s just a single scene. Everything before and after it is pretty boring. Dany’s current rampage through Slaver’s Bay is the best her general storyline ever gets.

45. Mikken's Mark
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:30 am | Permalink

My Lords,
    I am still trying to garrison men. No ladies (I need fighters!). Let us ride on the ‘morrow to HBO headquarters and force showrunnners to answer for their treasonous crimes against ASOFAI. If we wait too long it will be too late….our claim will go stale!

I will lead, take faith in me my lords. Let us ride! RIDE!!!!

Mikken’s Mark
    (M)

Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Mikken’s Mark,

What about your treasonous crime of calling it ASOFAI? It’s ASOIAF.

47. Mikken's Mark
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:45 am | Permalink

My lord,
    I am in the wrong, forgive me if you have the heart.

Mikken’s Mark
    (M)

48. Mikken's Mark
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Lex,

Sir Lex,
    your astute and keen sense of detail are exactly what I am looking for. You will find me a fair lord, sir. Join my cause, I can promise you justice.

Once you have joined my cause however, you will find that I am quick to temper. If you shall ever dare again to question me, I will BURY you under the sea and rest assured you will be replaced.

RIDE! RIDE my lords!!!!!!

Mikken’s Mark
    (M)

49. Mikken's Mark
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:57 am | Permalink

One more announcement my lords,

Let us all give sir lex his credit. He knows that it is a song of ICE and fire. You are a scholar, and we are all impressed.

Please my lords, applaud sir lex.

Mikken’s Mark (M)

50. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Lex,

I guess as a follower of the “Meereenese Blot” I am more enthused about the possibilities for Dany for the rest of S4 & S5 than some others. A few plotlines that I think would make for good visuals and TV intrigue are:

1) Fallout with Jorah and banishment
    2) General dragon chaos before complaints start pouring in
    3) Fuckin’ awesome scene where they chain R & V and hundreds of UnSullied die making the effort. Drogon escapes; Dany loses her children; should be incredible
    4) Hizdhar shenanigans; Daario causing trouble for her; learning to rule & play the game the hard way
    5) Harpy threat, city tension & mutiny, horrible Unsullied killings
    6) Returning threats from Yunkai and Astapor chaos (Volantis too?)
    7) Return of Quaithe & prophesies; maybe Qarth warlock mischief
    8) Learning about Westeros from Selmy
    9) Daznak’s Pit and Drogon flight, returning to the Dothraki
    10) R & V escape, killing Dorne reps
    11) Various major threads coming together (Tyrion, Greyjoy, Martell, Dany/Selmy, Jorah)..who will survive?
    12) War! Sound the Attack! Where the fuck is Dany and her inspirational Valyrian speeches?

I’m weirdly excited about this stuff.

51. LordDavos12
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Ugh, I hate Daenerys but I love Emilia.

52. Mikken's Mark
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 1:29 am | Permalink

LordDavos12,

I am not particularly fond of Dany either, yet I am fond of her counsel.

53. wizardeyes
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

I too am excited to see this stuff. The thought of re-reading those chapters turns my brain to much but I’m confident that the show can make some great stuff out of it.

How do you think they’ll end her arc this season? I’m thinking Jorah banishment and capturing R&V after finding out about the dead child.

54. Rose
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 4:15 am | Permalink

I love Dany, she’s my favourite character.

55. Alice
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 4:20 am | Permalink

You want art? This is art:

56. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

wizardeyes,
    I’m with you regarding the endgame for this season. The dragon roundup should be intense. They won’t come willingly! And it will affect Dany tremendously.

57. Sami
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

In love with Khaleeesiiiiii <3

58. Pentos
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Very nice article thanks very much for writing and posting. Enjoyed reading it and agree with you on everything. Keep going please.

59. Daniellica
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Ashara D,

Link to Arienne’schapter, anyone? I missed it. *cry*
    I’m personally stoked for all these dudes to show up who think they are going to marry Dany, apparently under the assumption that she is just a girl in need of a strong man to prop her up. Hahah! Dracarys, indeed!

Can I put in a vote for a Lyssa installment? It should be done sooner rather than later, or it will become moot.

60. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Daniellica:
    Ashara D,
    Link to Arienne’schapter, anyone? I missed it. *cry*

The Westeros.org TWoW wiki has a link to Arianne’s preview chapter at GRRM’s archive site.

Enjoy.

61. 3eyes
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Welcome Lady Rebecca of Pahle! (For sake of clarity, please post phonetic spelling of your surname.)
    I’ve come to increasingly appreciate Dany’s arc, from exiled orphan and political tool through miscarriage, wandering in the desert, attracting hunky warriors to her cause, commanding an army, being a righteously angry abolitionist, all the while becoming more politically astute and tougher, and she’s still a teenager. One trembles at the thought of the woman she could become if she survives to be Cersei’s current age! I believe that the slow pace at which her arc has been moving was necessary in order to allow the dragons time to grow, and for events to run their course in Westoros in order to fulfill the prophecy hinted at in season 1. It now seems she will be coming from a position of real strength when the time comes for her to face what awaits her in Westoros.
    A shout out to stylist/make-up team, who have finally tweaked her look so that it’s more natural, believable and less distracting.

62. Starfish
    Posted April 24, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I really adore Dany. Like a lot. I appreciate her character, flaws and all and don’t find her boring as some do. It’s enthralling to see her character development- one of the most dramatic in the show- that many people tend to dismiss.

Honestly, in a show full of rapists and murderers, if your biggest problem is Daenerys, you’re probably the one with the problem, señor.

63. Danarya
    Posted April 25, 2014 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Thank you for the great little article on the one true-born Queen of Westeros, my fave Dany. Even a little mention for my crush, poor Captain Friend-Zone. Dracarys!!

64. Jade
    Posted April 25, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I don’t like Dany is a fact but I wanted know what do you all her lovers would’ve thought if she hadn’t her dragons. I mean without her dragons she’s easy to kill and would’ve been already dead. I din’t see her as a strong characters because all what she has, her power (army and followers) she got it with her dragons. Arya or Asha or Ygritte or Brienne are strong female character because they can defend themselves without any help or dragons.

65. Annara Snow
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Jade:

Dany was strong in book 1 before she had dragons.

1. […] weeks ago, in my inaugural entry for Dame of Thrones, I turned my eye on Mother of Dragons Daenerys Targaryen. Now let’s take a jaunt across the Narrow Sea and visit one Sansa Stark, who in this week’s […]

2. […] of Thrones number one: Daenerys. Two: Sansa. I can hold back no longer. I must talk about […]