Rory McCann on The Hound and Brienne fighting dirty, and teaching Arya all too well
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

It was a long season of travel and teaching for Arya and The Hound, and in last week’s finale they parted ways at the bottom of a hill. After coming across Brienne of Tarth with a suspiciously Valyrian sword, The Hound was moved to protect the young girl he had once considered a prisoner. They fought, The Hound fell, and Arya bid him a silent farewell.

In a new interview with Making Game of Thrones, Rory McCann details some of the more memorable aspects of the fight, and how the relationship between Arya and The Hound evolved in Season 4.

As the fight between The Hound and Brienne progressed, both sides started playing dirty. Rory says that getting an ear bitten off was just payback for kicking Brienne in the “foo foo.”

“Why does everybody want to bite the Hound? I’m absolutely sick of it. The bite was payback though – I did kick Brienne between the legs. I feel like there were a lot of fans who were maybe “Team Hound” that switched to “Team Brienne” when I did that. That was literally below the belt.

The stunt team was desperate to get rid of the swords as soon as possible just to get really down and dirty. They came up to me and asked, “Are you alright, mate, about kicking her in the ‘foo foo’?” I know what a “foo foo” is now.

On the day of filming, they put a big belt between [Gwendoline Christie’s] knees so while she was crawling, I could take a right good run at her and my foot would just miss her.“

The entire encounter may have gone differently if it happened earlier in the season, when The Hound was willing to trade Arya for a nice reward. But Rory says that a father-daughter bond had already started to form.

“I think there was a transition. Before, the Hound saw Arya as kind of a meal ticket, a chance for survival and money. But by the end of it, he felt he was keeping her safe. There was a sort of father-daughter bond starting. Of course at the end, maybe the Hound taught her too well since she took his money and didn’t put him out of his misery.“

As for how The Hound felt as Arya walked away, “He couldn’t believe it. She didn’t do the merciful thing. It’s very disappointing.”

And it seems as though Rory is in on our jokes, when asked during the think fast round of questions what his character would be on trial for, he says “Stealing all the chickens.”

For the full interview visit Making Game of Thrones.

1. Walter Harrow
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

So its okay for Brienne to hit the Hound between the legs (she did it first) but its not for the Hound to do it back?

2. Lady Wolfsbane
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,

Maybe it wasn’t shot in that order though…

3. The Watcher
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Walter harrow–

It may have been “fair,” but depictions of women being hit in the groin are far rarer and therefore more likely to elicit a visceral reaction. I think that’s why a little more attention was brought to it.

4. TOIVA
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow,

It was more of a grab than a kick from her. But yes, curious he doesn’t mention it.

And I’m not sure how it must feel being in the same bar those two play pool in. Like our small mammal ancestors among dinosaurs, presumably.

5. Diana
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Him kicking her didn’t affect me at all. They WERE trying to kill each other. He’s not supposed to be gentle about it.

6. MM
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Eh, Brienne punched him in the crotch first. Fair’s fair.

LOL at “Stealing all the chickens.”

7. Linda
    Posted June 23, 2014 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Anyone else notice that when the Hound is laying there with blood running down his face he suddenly has NO facial hair?!?!?!? Beard and moustache are GONE! I was looking at him and kept thinking “Something is wrong. I’m seeing too much mouth and teeth. Something is wrong.” Watched it again later and realized the facial hair was missing. Ooopsy.

8. Alielbaryeshua
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 5:50 am | Permalink

I would like to add, that The Hound did not kick the “Big Bitch” in the cunt until AFTER she punched him in his balls.

If you ask me, she had it coming.

9. Alielbaryeshua
    Posted June 24, 2014 at 5:57 am | Permalink

TOIVA,

I’m assuming that bring that little bit up would offend some feminists somewhere on the planet.

10. Mia
    Posted June 29, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Linda,

What? Look again! It’s right there, he’s just incredibly dirty and bloody so it may be “flattened” a bit and less contrasting from his skin since his whole face is brownish/reddish.

The make-up people wouldn’t shave him all of a sudden and think nobody would notice!