George R.R. Martin reveals major battles, dragon action, and White Walkers are to come in Game of Thrones
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

George R.R. Martin recently appeared at the Neuchâtel International Fantastic Film Festival in Switzerland, where he held a masterclass to discuss his work. The event was livestreamed, and is now available for replay. During the conversation, Martin talks at length about science fiction, developing one’s writing skills, heroes, love, feminism, and much more. The end of the session included a Q&A with the audience, and some fans were eager to ask questions about Game of Thrones.

The session begins about 24 minutes into the video, and the Q&A begins at 1 hour and 8 minutes:

Here is a collection of Game of Thrones related highlights from the Q&A. The most interesting question proved to the be the last. Martin was asked about his feelings on the potential Game of Thrones movies, and the talk turned to the limits of their television budget in concern to some of the big (expensive) things he’s been told are in store for us.

How does it feel to see your world coming to life?

Well I was nervous at first, because you turn your baby over to other people and you never know how they’re going to treat it. But I turned my baby over to the best people I knew, to David Benioff and Dan Weiss, an amazing pair of writers and showrunners who have done some very distinguished work separately, and to HBO, which was the best production company in American Television. They have elevated television to heights previously undreamed of, with shows like The Sopranos, and Deadwood. So, I did the best I can and I was handsomely rewarded, I’ve been very, very pleased with what I’ve seen.

Who is your favorite character from Game of Thrones, and why?

Tyion, because he is the wittiest. But you know I like them all, come on, I like Arya, and Dany, and Sansa, and even Theon, and Victarion, the dolt. You know, I have to love them to write about them, some of them are flawed, and some of them are screwed up, a lot of them are in trouble but, they’re my kids… probably the only ones I’m ever likely to have.

When you kill off your characters does it hit you, does it disgust you, does it make you sometimes want to cry?

Yeah. The Red Wedding was the hardest thing I ever wrote, I couldn’t write it for a long time. I skipped over it when I reached that part of the book, I finished the entire book and then I had to go back and make myself write that. It was very difficult to write.

What are your thoughts on an upcoming movie?

You know, this idea has been kicking around for a while. I have been asked about this, and somehow misconception is getting out that I’m the one that’s urging that we end the series with a movie. Let me make it clear that I’m not, I think it’s a good idea, but it’s not my idea to end this with a series of big movies. The question that we face with the show is that the books continue to get bigger and bigger, and the show really can’t get much bigger. We’re the most expensive show on television, the most expensive show in the world right now, and we have the biggest cast as far as I know. We can’t keep adding characters and making the show more and more expensive. We’re pushing up against the limits there, so we either have to make some cuts going forward, and simplify the story, or we have to increase the format, and of course one way to do that, one way to get a lot more money, is to go with a motion picture budget rather than a television budget. A big fantasy motion picture, like one of the Peter Dinklage things, you have 200 million dollars for three hours, while one of our shows we have like 60 million dollars for ten hours. So there’s a huge difference, and I happen to know, someone has told me, some source that I won’t name, that there will be some major battles coming up, and some dragon action, and some stuff with The Wall and White Walkers that looks to be kind of expensive. How are we gonna do that, I don’t know. But I’m not saying that they’re gonna happen, please don’t misquote me here. It’s not my idea, it’s just an idea that I’ve endorsed, let us say. I’d love to see it, but I think the odds are probably against it, it’s probably not going to happen. But maybe, who knows. One season at a time. Right now we’re making Season 5, they’re finishing the scripts, they’re going to start production, they’re setting sights on that. So that’s about all I can say about the movies.

1. kdenn1020
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones board game is pretty sweet, FYI

2. deekan
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

kdenn1020,

It is known.

3. jentario
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Spank my ass and call me grandma!

4. kdenn1020
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Well I think what he’s referring to about the dragons is the fighting pit in Meereen and Drogon taking Dany away. As far as the battles, there’s a lot of speculating to go around but unless they come up with events deviating from the books, it’s pretty obvious it could either be Battle of Wintefell or the Battle at Meereen. We did hear earlier last week about a battle being “too big”, soo…

5. Morrigan
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

like one of the Peter Dinklage things

6. Valaquen
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Hardhome, I hope.

7. acatlover
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

some stuff with The Wall and White Walkers that looks to be kind of expensive

The Wall will fall in TWOW. Calling it now.

8. jentario
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

kdenn1020,

We also heard it was set in Iceland in the winter, so it’s obvious which of the two battles will make it to season 5 (unless it’s something not from the books, which I kind of doubt).

9. Ser Bro of Kegstand Keep
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I too have pondered this. If Game of Thrones broke the bank on SFX for Bran & Friends VS the undead, how are they going to handle the Battle of Mereen, with three dragons raining hot red hell down on thousands of sellswords? Or, and this is purely speculative on my part, the destruction of the Wall and the ensuing Others VS Westeros throwdown?

George is right. It is impossible for HBO to do these things on a television budget. We’re either going to end up with a watered-down, heavily modified ending or HBO is going to have to turn to Hollywood and secure the proper funding.

10. Lightbringer
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Morrigan,

He does say Peter Dinklage in the video, I’m guessing he was referring to an X-Men type film, since Peter just starred in one, or it may have been a slip and he meant Jackson.

11. Hodorable
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Morrigan: lol, I take it he meant Peter Jackson? Or is that an error in transcript? (Didn’t watch the video yet)

I think he means the x-men movie Dinklage was in recently, but I also did not watch the video.

12. Koen Stark
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

What they could do is doing a collaboration with a movie studio like HBO did with Band of Brothers and The Pacific. I think that’s a better option than doing a movie.

13. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Valaquen,

He wasn’t talking about season 5. He was talking about the future battle in the books. He is the source.

14. Ed
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

That’s a good call – I bet you’re right.

acatlover: The Wall will fall in TWOW. Calling it now.

15. Valyrian Steel Katana
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I’d rather see a movie(s) made about Aegon I’s conquest..or Robert’s Rebellion…at least a spinoff

16. Kells
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Ed: dle the Battle of Mereen, with three dragons raining hot red hell down on thousands of sellswords? Or, and this is purely speculative on my part, the destruction of the Wall and the ensuing Others VS Westeros throwdown?

I am going to add to that with a call of my own.

By the end of TWoW, both Jaime and Cersei will be dead. And prophecies be damned, it will be Cersei who kills Jaime. Why? Because Jaime will tell Cersei that Brienne is “more beautiful”. She is Brienne The Beauty, right? May be spoken tongue-in-cheek but Jaime will/is learning what beauty really is about. And she is younger. It will be Brienne who kills Cersei.

17. Game of thrones fane cole
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

deekan,

It is known :)

18. Ser Pounce
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I was hoping they would ask GURM about Cleganebowl. The Hound= Valanqor, faiths champion vs Ser RoboMountain Strong. Cleganebowl confirmed.

19. Pup Pup
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I’d have to watch the video to see how he says that, but in text it seemed like he was talking about what he knew was coming up soon in the show.

20. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Ironic that he is still TALKING about writing the books on festivals instead of WRITING them.

He´s a mega troll.

21. Sansa Bird
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Just FYI, the GoT Comic Con panel has been released!

Featured cast include (in alphabetical order) Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Baratheon, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.

Good to see Maisie and Sophie going and I’m super excited that Natalie and Pedro get to go, I think it’s their first times? Has Gwen done panels before? And RORY! :)

22. Daniellica
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

If the show maintains its numbers and influence on popular culture through the next season, I see no reason why HBO cannot secure further financing to deliver on the larger stuff to come.

What I do NOT see happening is HBO sacrificing its profits and success with GoT by ceasing production on their most successful series to date in order to maintain the “integrity” of GRRM’s desire to finish the story first, waiting gods know how many years to co-finance a series of movies that only invested fans of the show and the books will be assured to watch.

Not to mention any movies in the nebulous future would likely have to be entirely recast, because one cannot make a contract with an actor that says, “Maybe in five or six or eight years we will make movies and require you to reprise your role from the show, but there is no schedule or assurance this will occur aside from our hope that it might.” It doesn’t work that way.

All productions are a risk, but producers only move forward on risks that have the greatest chances of success and assets put firmly in place. The show is in place. The show is delivering beyond their wildest expectations. The showrunners have the end-game for all major storylines delivered to them from the source itself, and that source is contractually obligated to continue his assistance.

Why in seven fucking hells would HBO say, “Nah, let’s pause and give the author as much time as he needs to finish his books, even if it drains all relevance from the success we’ve created”?

Not. Going. To. Happen.

23. Winnie
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Ser Bro of Kegstand Keep,

Well bear in mind, one reason the budget was busted was that “The Watchers on the Wall” and the Purple Wedding were both VERY expensive to film. If they don’t do a full battle episode then they might well be able to just fit in Mereen and Winterfell. They’re doing Winterfell for sure.

Also if D&D are serious about their warnings of “negative population growth” next season they may start saving some money on cast regulars too. LOL.

I also like the mention of White Walkers and the Wall. Sounds like the wall’s coming down,. I also think the big White Walker baby reveal this season was partly to goose that plot a bit and get going there as well.

24. jentario
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Sansa Bird,

Wow! That’s awesome! I wish Peter and some of Team Stannis could make it but I ain’t complaining

25. Sansa Bird
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I know, Peter’s so funny at all the panels and him and Lena get on like a house on fire. The members of Team Stannis are hilarious together as well!

But I’m very happy with this panel, a lot of them have never been to SDCC before so they should be in for a treat! It’s good to mix up the cast members who get to go.

26. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,
    Totally agree…HBO is way too smart to pause in the middle of milking a cash cow like that.

Kells,
    I like that idea but I always thought that Jaime would kill Cersei…can’t wait to find out either way.

acatlover,
    Winnie,
    Agree that the Wall will fall in TWOW and that the showrunners were beginning to lay that ground work….we’ll know for sure next season because I think they will have to have some WW appearances to keep that threat alive for non-readers. So are we saying that TWOW content could occur as early as Season 6 and that some groundwork for it has to be laid in Season 5?

27. Winnie
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

I for one actually think that at least SOME TWOW material is going to happen in Season Five, and the rest in Season 6. They’re definitely going into TWOW material for Sansa and probably Bran too. I think they’ll be doing a LOT with the Wall to gear up for a White Walker invasion of Westeros in Season 6

28. The Bastard
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I have said it before and I will say it again. Martin will slowly leak out the details of the final two books as a protest to the show finishing first. Sort of like a child having a temper tantrum when he doesn’t get his own way.

We have already seen his mental stability rattled. He is giving the middle finger to his fans. He is talking about books 4& 5 taking 3 seasons or the show taking a break for a year or two. And he is now giving out major plot points that can really spoil the show going forward.

It is only going to get uglier from here. Wait until the final season hits and he is trying to ruin it for everybody.

29. jentario
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Winnie,

I think the season ends with winter coming and another big glimpse at the White Walkers (more than we’ve ever seen of them before- the season 2 finale on steroids).

30. Tatters
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

So he is just going to drop everything on his schedule?
    Im happy for him, twenty years of work has earned him this.

31. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Winnie,

That’s right! I had forgotten how far ahead Sansa and Bran will be….as for the WW invasion of Westeros…that has to be inevitable, right? The only questions regarding that IMO was 1) who would be left standing after all that internal bickering to defend Westeros? 2) who would be willing to set aside their differences and fight together?

32. Valyrian Plastic
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Great interview; one of the funniest ever. Really glad they brought up his earlier works. I just reached the half-way point of my re-read of Fevre Dream and one chapter in particular features some of the finest prose Martin’s ever done, IMHO. There are some people who have waited over 25 years for some kind of sequel or spiritual successor to these books. Imagine how bad it must be for them eh.

33. dave
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Oh man. Season 5 and definitely season 6 is going to spoil a TON, unless Martin gets going on the books.

34. Arkash
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

We have confirmation of the cast who’ll attend SDCC but is it confirmed that D&D will attend as well ? Or George ?

35. The Bastard
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

dave:

He won’t. The books are not being spoiled. The show is gospel to me.

Show purists rule!! I look forward to reading martin’s fan fiction in 10 years….

36. Kells
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Kells,

I think that is what a lot of people assume. I think having it go the other way around would be pretty damn awesome.

Excited Rory and Maisie are going to be at the SDCC just for the sound bites alone. They play off each other well.
    Would love some TeamStannis to represent but with Rory, Maisie, Sophie…plenty of good stuff should come out of it. Sucks that the panels are only an hour long. Really, with a cast this big they need a couple hours.

37. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

“…Victarion, the dolt?”

The kraken awaits you, puny author man!

38. Summer
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Yay, another Martin topic!

Can we please avoid the hostile discussions this time?

39. spacechampion
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Does HBO even have the rights to do a movie based on the series? Seems something extra they wouldn’t have paid for in the original contracts, so it would have to be negotiated and GRRM paid more for it, so ultimately extremely unlikely to happen.

40. meh
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Pretty much hear only the same questions over and over being asked of him.

41. Derman
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Can’t the guy ever try to hide his irritation if questions get asked him a lot? Just be nice, like other professionals. GRRM seems like an arrogant guy.

42. Pizza
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

LOL at the question of the details in his stories. The first thing Martin says after a few sentences: “I want them to taste the food, and see the sights and hear the words”.

Taste the food… The fat one actually mentions food first. Food fetish much?

43. Summer
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

The Bastard:

We have already seen his mental stability rattled.He is giving the middle finger to his fans. He is talking about books 4& 5 taking 3 seasons or the show taking a break for a year or two.And he is now giving out major plot points that can really spoil the show going forward.

It is only going to get uglier from here.Wait until the final season hits and he is trying to ruin it for everybody.

I don’t see any spoilers. Dragons and WW? God forbid if he didn’t have some sort of payoff with them, lol

44. Unbowed Unbent Unhodor
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Did grrm write an episode season 5

45. King Varys
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

There are a lot of pretty stupid comments here – GRRM giving the middle finger to his fans? I attended the event inquestion and went to a reading today of the TWOW Arya chapter, after which he answered more questions. He’s a great guy, committed to his work, of which there is too much, so that working on ASoIaF goes slow for him – but he’s assured us that a lot of the stuff that the internet claims he’s said (including stuff posted on this site!) he actually didn’t say. He assured us he’s written a lot of TWOW and will be writing more still. He loves the books, the characters, the show, he said it would be a nightmare for him to die withouth finishing them. So all you who have nothing better to do than post you sad, offensive shitty comments here, make an effort to hear the man talk somehwere instead of nurturing conspiracy theories.

46. Greenones
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink
  47. Tom Hilton
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

If you hate George R. R. Martin that much, you’re perfectly free not to buy his books.

48. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

ending the last couple of seasons with a movie would be cool

49. Easteros Bunny
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I heard Bernard Cornwell’s “Saxon stories’ are getting adapted into a TV series, providing they don’t fuck it up, thrones could have some very stiff competition next year.

50. Kells
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Easteros Bunny,

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!
    Holy shit. Nobody writes better historical fiction then Cornwell. His “Warrior Chronicles” are 3 of my favorite books ever written. Though about the King Arthur legend, his knowledge of the time is amazing.
    This is beyond exciting! Hope it’s picked up by a network that will do his work justice.
    On a side note, GRRM and Cornwell are big fans of each other and Cornwell is very open to his fans. He answers a ton of questions personally on his website.

51. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:
    King Varys,

There is a little specks of shit on your lips from kissing too much ass.

Stay classy!

52. Patchy Face
    Posted July 11, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink
  53. SerCountryFriedSteak
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 12:34 am | Permalink

The only big battle that I can think of… The only battle too big to shoot in Iceland and involves White Walkers would be HardhomeAs far as I can tell.

54. King Varys
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

Oh, you belong to that sad group of fans then who think he is somehow obliged to work on ASoIaF only, just because you’re so impatient. It shows how very little understanding you have on how writing works. Why would you comment stuff like that here? How do you benefit from letting out your childish kind of anger here, for which there is no reason? Why don’t you work on the things you’re supposed to do instead of wasting your time here – you surely waste your time more than Martin.

55. Casso
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Ser Bro of Kegstand Keep:

One of the major problems with the movie idea is that there are time and money limits. The TV show gives us about 10 hours per year. To get that much time, you would need three 3+ hour epic movies, and I just can’t see any movie studio creating and releasing three epic movies in a year. More likely they would release one per year.

The other related problem is that the movies would need to be able to stand alone, and not necessarily assume that all viewers had watched the whole series. A movie studio probably wouldn’t want to make a big budget movie that was incomprehensible to non-show-watchers, so there would need to be some screen time (and budget) devoted to introducing the characters and giving the unfamiliar audience members some idea of what had happened before. I don’t really see a good way to do that that wouldn’t eat up a lot of the screen time.

I think the best thing would be to keep the established TV show format, but with a movie-sized budget for special effects. I know they’ve said in the past that even with more money, they wouldn’t really have time to produce more than 10 episodes per year, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that throwing more money at the problem wouldn’t let them put more special effects into those 10 episodes.

The question then is how to get the money. Flashy special effects are an easy thing to show off in a 30 second TV advertisement, so for a movie they pay for themselves by getting people to the theatre. Each movie has to be individually sold to the public. HBO primarily gets its money from subscriptions, from people who pay the same monthly fee whether they watch every show HBO produces, or they just watch Game of Thrones.

Spending $200 million on a season of GoT instead of $60 million isn’t necessarily going to earn them $140 million worth of subscriptions. That $140 million could make four $35 million shows. When Game of Thrones is over, HBO will want to keep its subscribers, so having four new series to hopefully catch their interest as Game of Thrones comes to an end may look financially more appealing than spending an extra $140 million making the final season(s) super impressive.

One thing that seems like a good option to me (though I’m not sure HBO would consider it), would be some kind of crowdfunding effort on Kickstarter (or HBO could set up their own site to avoid paying a cut to Kickstarter). There have been quite a few successful crowdfunding campaigns raising $3 – $10 million from much smaller fan bases (and even from projects with no pre-established fan base). The Star Citizen video game raised over $2 million on Kickstarter, and extended that to almost $48 million with an extended fund-raising period on their own web site. It really wouldn’t surprise me if GoT could raise $50 million or more, which would give them a significant budget increase.

56. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Casso: One of the major problems with the movie idea is that there are time and money limits.The TV show gives us about 10 hours per year.To get that much time, you would need three 3+ hour epic movies, and I just can’t see any movie studio creating and releasing three epic movies in a year.More likely they would release one per year.

The other related problem is that the movies would need to be able to stand alone, and not necessarily assume that all viewers had watched the whole series.A movie studio probably wouldn’t want to make a big budget movie that was incomprehensible to non-show-watchers, so there would need to be some screen time (and budget) devoted to introducing the characters and giving the unfamiliar audience members some idea of what had happened before.I don’t really see a good way to do that that wouldn’t eat up a lot of the screen time.

I think the best thing would be to keep the established TV show format, but with a movie-sized budget for special effects.I know they’ve said in the past that even with more money, they wouldn’t really have time to produce more than 10 episodes per year, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that throwing more money at the problem wouldn’t let them put more special effects into those 10 episodes.

The question then is how to get the money.Flashy special effects are an easy thing to show off in a 30 second TV advertisement, so for a movie they pay for themselves by getting people to the theatre.Each movie has to be individually sold to the public.HBO primarily gets its money from subscriptions, from people who pay the same monthly fee whether they watch every show HBO produces, or they just watch Game of Thrones.

Spending $200 million on a season of GoT instead of $60 million isn’t necessarily going to earn them $140 million worth of subscriptions.That $140 million could make four $35 million shows.When Game of Thrones is over, HBO will want to keep its subscribers, so having four new series to hopefully catch their interest as Game of Thrones comes to an end may look financially more appealing than spending an extra $140 million making the final season(s) super impressive.

One thing that seems like a good option to me (though I’m not sure HBO would consider it), would be some kind of crowdfunding effort on Kickstarter (or HBO could set up their own site to avoid paying a cut to Kickstarter).There have been quite a few successful crowdfunding campaigns raising $3 – $10 million from much smaller fan bases (and even from projects with no pre-established fan base).The Star Citizen video game raised over $2 million on Kickstarter, and extended that to almost $48 million with an extended fund-raising period on their own web site.It really wouldn’t surprise me if GoT could raise $50 million or more, which would give them a significant budget increase.

Let’s not forget though that ultimately the show is about characters so if absolutely needed they could show the battles offscreen and it would not bother me at all.

Actually I don’t like the battle scenes that much because they are, in the most part, totally unrealistic

57. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Casso,

I don’t think they’d do a kickstarter, though that could earn them an extra big battle or two.

An option which you neglected to consider is some sort of TV-movie format on HBO. They could release one in Winter and one in Spring or summer. Both could be three hours long roughly and get a large budget. They could release the movies on DVD/Blu-Ray a couple of months after the original airing and some select theaters at the same time as they release it on HBO. It could be a worldwide thing with the DVDs and the HBO airing. That would earn them a sizable income, I think. Obviously, that would only happen after season 7 for the big climactic ending battles/scenes and only if the story becomes more streamlined at that point (as in, a lot of dead characters and extinguished storylines). They could spend about as much as they do on one season for each movie and they wouldn’t have to worry about the whole problem of reintroducing the characters and the story (they could include a lengthy recap within the DVDs for instance, and most of the viewers will see the movie through HBO anyway). I still don’t think it’ll happen, but it’s the only possible thing other than a standard season IMO.

I think what we’re getting is a two-part extended season 7 with something between 12 and 16 episodes.

58. Easteros Bunny
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 3:49 am | Permalink

Kells,

It’s being produced by BBC America, there is a great article where Bernard and GRRM interview each other.

59. Adam
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 4:35 am | Permalink

In this week’s edition of Fansided is Terrible:

The poll that pops up when you visit the site now (or when I just did, at least) asks Should Michelle Fairley’s Character Catelyn Stark Return to ‘Game of Thrones’? I know this has been discussed a lot in the media, but shouldn’t WiC be making a token effort to keep the Unsullied, y’know, unsullied?

60. chamush
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 4:42 am | Permalink

I’m really confused by what he was trying to say There, what does he mean by his source? is he referring to the show producers or himself as the writer???

Are these major events (battles, dragons, ww’s) things that happened/will happen in his books ?? or ideas that the show producers are going to add to the story??

61. loco73
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 4:42 am | Permalink

I am Coronel Stacy by my friends call me Theresa (Air Canada Farce)…

No but seriously…I just wet my depends…The Wall and White Walkers, that is enough to cause a serious bowel movement!

62. jentario
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Adam,

I’ve seen it too. Terrible.

63. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Kells:
    Easteros Bunny,

Seriously? SERIOUSLY?!

You know, I’ve never read any of his work. I’ve mentally considered them more “boys’ books” than for females (no doubt there will be ladies informing now they really like his work). Isn’t it a bit soon after “Merlin” for the Beeb (although I believe Beeb America is a separate company) to do another take on the King Arthur legend? Though having said that, there is scope for a “grown-up” version of the legend (not the silly fan fiction that was “Camelot” – Thomas Mallory must have turned in his grave). There was a re-run of some of the TV programmes based on the “Sharpe” stories on ITV3 recently. Sean Bean was a handsome young man then (not saying that he’s horrendous now). I liked the film “Excalibur” from back in the day – a young Helen Mirren played Morgana. It was a bit different from the version I knew but the differences were very minor (e.g. Morgana was Mordred’s mother rather than Morgause, though I believe in some “old” versions of the tale they make Morgana his Mum).

Adam: In this week’s edition of Fansided is Terrible:

I’ve dropped hints that I would like Fansided to stop those silly polls, Adam, but I doubt they’ll take notice of me – which this particular fan finds decidedly offside. When WiC.net partnered with Fansided, I could see that the (then) runners of the site had valid reasons for finding a partner – need to devote time to their day-jobs etc, and I was willing to give Fansided the benefit of the doubt but if I am honest I preferred the site before the merger. Wic has in the past delivered interesting morsels of news about casting and so forth, so I am loathe to leave the site, but the daft polls continue I may be driven away.

64. Ser Habakuk
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia: Isn’t it a bit soon after “Merlin” for the Beeb (although I believe Beeb America is a separate company) to do another take on the King Arthur legend?

I believe the books considered for adaptation are his “Saxon Stories”, not his Arthur-related works.

65. Easteros Bunny
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

It’s not his King Arthur series but his Alfred the Great series.

66. Kells
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 9:01 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

“The Warrior Chronicles” are the books about King Arthur, though they are told through the perspective of a different character. “The Saxon Stories” take place centuries later, during the 9th century.
    I mentioned “TWC” because they are my favorite of Cornwell’s books. And I understand the thinking the genre aims more towards men but I am a woman, and his writing is amazing. I gobble his books up.
    And no slight on GRRM, but Cornwell writes a lot faster. I think the Saxon series has about 8 books so far.

67. Patchy Face
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

BC’s books are very good – I am in the process of reading all of them prior to any TV production. They are not the length of GRRM’s books so not a major time sucker.

68. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Oh, I’ll have to put BC on my “to read” list then. The “Saxon Stories” would be more based on real history than myth or fantasy, then? Alfred the Great achieved much – being the first King to be called the King of the “Anglo-Saxons” and engaging in naval design (though that only scratches the surface). I was kind of disappointed when I read that the story about the housewife telling him off for letting her cakes burn (when he was incognito) was probably apocryphal, having not been recorded until about 200 years after Alfred’s death.

69. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Adam:
    In this week’s edition of Fansided is Terrible:

ugh, what the hell. I’m sorry, I’ll bring it to their attention.

70. loco73
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Just to add my voice to the increasing chorus of displeased voices, I have to say that this site is going downhill fast. That fucking poll thingy fills-up my screen on my tablet, phone and laptop.

Nevermind the annoying pop-up adds…no I don’t want to marry a rich woman…for that I have my right and left hand and they’ve never betrayed me as of yet, of course arthritis might change that. I did however want to read about some casting news…but I gave up after being frustrated by and bombarded with nonsense!

There is no doubt that I preferred the way the site was run before. Those who managed the site where dedicated to it and it alone. Along comes Fansided and this becomes another cog in the machine stuck between sites informing me of when Tigger Woods last shit…in the woods, what George Clooney had for breakfast and the fact that Megan Fox is pregnant with her seventh child…

Maybe Fucksided can get its head out of its own arse and be a bit more like the Brotherhood Without Banners instead of the goddamn Gold Cloaks…or they will face a rebellion that will make what Robert Baratheon did, seem like a minor border skirmish!

Peace out!

71. Keatz
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

GET HYPE!!!!

72. Johnny3toes
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Hey Ser Pounce, I hear that L. Ron Hubbard wrote some real fine shitty fiction in his day. Perhaps you should go to the nearest trash bin and grab some if his books. He is all finished writing his stories so you should not have to wait to find out what happens. Oh and he didn’t flip anyone off so you won’t get all butt hurt.

73. AnneMarie Bowman
    Posted July 12, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Kells:
    Dame of Mercia,

I’m a woman and I read Bernard Cornwell also. He’s one of my favorite writers. (I think GRRM is a big fan of Cornwell’s too). I really liked his Arthur trilogy, and thought a couple years ago when Starz tried that lame Camelot show that they should have used Cornwell’s Warlord Chronicles for it, instead of using the same old tired Arthur cliches’. (I have to admit though, my favorite re-telling of the Arthur story is The Mists Of Avalon)

Anyway I saw that announcement the other day about The Saxon Tales and I’m psyched! BUT: it covers A LOT of the same time period and characters that are currently appearing in VIKINGS, so people might get a bit burnt out by this part of history in the next few years.

74. here
    Posted July 18, 2014 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Gateway’s best casual gaming laptop has a huge 17 inch screen and a NVIDIA.
    The display dimension is associated to the weight for the laptop computer.
    カルティエ結婚指輪 刻印

1. […] R.R. Martin keeps talking about the potential of ending Game of Thrones with a movie (or two). According to the author, “the books continue to get bigger and bigger, and the show really can’t get much […]

2. […] R.R. Martin keeps talking about the potential of ending Game of Thrones with a movie (or two). According to the author, “the books continue to get bigger and bigger, and the show really can’t get much bigger.” […]