…Hodor sacrificing himself so Bran and Meera can escape the Night King and his army. Was there ever any doubt?
What was the most dramatic moment from Game of Thrones Season 6?
- The Night King invades the Three-Eyed Raven’s cave, and Hodor sacrifices himself so Bran and Meera can get away (30%, 264 Votes)
- We find out about Jon’s true parentage (22%, 194 Votes)
- Cersei blows up the Sept of Baelor (17%, 150 Votes)
- Jon is made King in the North (7%, 60 Votes)
- Jon Snow is resurrected (3%, 31 Votes)
- Jon is nearly trampled to death by his own men (3%, 29 Votes)
- Daenerys immolates the khals (2%, 17 Votes)
- Arya kills Walder Frey (2%, 14 Votes)
- Sansa feeds Ramsay to his hounds (1%, 13 Votes)
- Daenerys sails for Westeros (1%, 12 Votes)
- Daenerys make Tyrion the Hand of the Queen (1%, 10 Votes)
- Tommen commits suicide (1%, 10 Votes)
- Cersei is crowned Queen of the Seven Kingdoms (1%, 10 Votes)
- Daenerys rides Drogon into battle above Meereen (1%, 9 Votes)
- Ramsay kills Rickon just before Jon can get to him (1%, 8 Votes)
- Arya kills the Waif and leaves Braavos (1%, 5 Votes)
- The Hound returns (1%, 5 Votes)
- Sansa chastises Littlefinger for leaving her with Ramsay (1%, 5 Votes)
- Melisandre takes off her necklace (1%, 5 Votes)
- Jaime and Brienne wave at each other as Brienne rows away from Riverrun (0%, 4 Votes)
- Tyrion removes the shackles off Rhaegal and Viserion (0%, 4 Votes)
- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes murder the Martells (0%, 4 Votes)
- Ramsay Bolton murders his father, step-mother, and half-brother (0%, 3 Votes)
- Daenerys commands Jorah to find a cure for greyscale (0%, 3 Votes)
- Brienne and Pod save Sansa and Theon, and Sansa swears Brienne to her service (0%, 3 Votes)
- Jon Snow executes the mutineers and leaves the Night’s Watch (0%, 3 Votes)
- Bran finds out how the White Walkers were created (0%, 3 Votes)
- Howland Reed kills Arthur Dayne while Bran watches (0%, 2 Votes)
- Euron Greyjoy is elected king of the Iron Islands (0%, 2 Votes)
- Euron Greyjoy tosses his brother Balon off a rope bridge (0%, 2 Votes)
- The Waif stabs Arya (0%, 2 Votes)
- Benjen Stark returns and saves Bran and Meera (0%, 2 Votes)
- Ramsay kills Wun Wun and Jon nearly beats him to death (0%, 2 Votes)
- Varys, Ellaria Sand, and Lady Olenna make an alliance (0%, 1 Votes)
- Sam steals Heartsbane (0%, 1 Votes)
- Daenerys rallies her Dothraki soldiers from atop Drogon (0%, 1 Votes)
- Rickon Stark and Osha return (0%, 0 Votes)
- Tommen and Margaery cross over to the Faith on the steps of the Sept of Baelor (0%, 0 Votes)
- The wildlings invade Castle Black (0%, 0 Votes)
- Margaery sends Olenna away (0%, 0 Votes)
- Jaime and the Blackfish negotiate outside Riverrun (0%, 0 Votes)
- Jaime talks Edmure into retaking Riverrun (0%, 0 Votes)
- Cersei tortures Septa Unella and gives her over to the Mountain (0%, 0 Votes)
- Ramsay kills Osha (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 893
These are the results of a poll we ran two Fridays ago. We’ll be running a lot of these kinds of polls over the next several weeks as look back over Game of Thrones Season 6 in detail, although we took a detour last week to discuss the news about the Season 7 delay.
But back to the results, voters chose the finale of “The Door” by a decent margin. Commenter Peter summed up why the scene was so powerful:
Hands down Hodor’s death. One of the most dramatic, emotional, and surprising moments of the show overall…and central to the storyline. Brilliantly conceived by GRRM, brilliantly written by D&D, and brilliantly executed by the actors. That was the only moment in all 6 seasons where I almost cried.
Commenter fin pointed out that part of the reason why Hodor’s death hit so hard was that it was unexpected. “For as much anticipation the ToJ created, I really don’t think it was that dramatic; for most of the fans of the show it just confirmed a widely held belief,” fin wrote. I tend to agree. As much as fans like to make predictions about the show, very few of us saw the Hodor moment coming, and that made it all the sweeter.
Happily, Season 6 was full of weighty moments, and Hodor’s death scene had some competition in the form of Jon’s resurrection, finding out about Jon’s parentage, highlights from the Battle of the Bastards, Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor, and more. It was a jam-packed season, as commenter Veronica illustrates:
Hot dog! I forgot all about those scenes. Yeah it’s tempting to think about the big scenes. But the quieter and more subtle moments hit it for me. My favourite scene this season was the first chat between Jon and Sansa discussing how far they’ve come, leaving childhood and naivety behind. Yep such is life.
My favorite small scene may have been Jaime and Brienne silently waving goodbye to each other after the conquest of Riverrun—a lovely moment.
Also, several commenters pointed out that I left off the moment when Jon and Sansa reunite, which…yeah, that was my bad. I’m sorry—there was a lot to get through! For the sake of completeness, here’s a new version of the poll with that moment included, together with a few others commenters suggested.
It’ll be interesting to see if the results change for Round 2.
This Friday, we’ll be talking about the funniest moments from Season 6. Feel free to leave your nominations in the comments!