…the lustful looks Tormund kept throwing at Brienne! Like so:
Really, there was probably little else that stood a chance. The sudden and combustable attraction between Tormund Giantsbane and Brienne of Tarth (well, at least on Tormund’s side) took the internet by storm when it debuted in “Book of the Stranger.” How did we miss that these two would be perfect for each other?
Beyond that, popular choices included Olenna telling off the Sand Snakes in “The Winds of Winter,” pretty much everything little Lyanna Mormont did in “The Brokan Man” and the listicle Khal Moro made of the five best things in life. I didn’t expect that last one to do particularly well, but apparently people appreciated the Monty Python-esque flair of it, and it was nice to see the normally super-serious Dothraki being kind of silly.
What was the funniest moment from Game of Thrones Season 6?
- Tormund gapes lustfully at Brienne (31%, 204 Votes)
- Olenna tells the Sand Snakes to shut up (14%, 88 Votes)
- Khal Moro’s makes a list of the best things in life (9%, 59 Votes)
- Lyanna Mormont has absolutely no time for Jon and Sansa's flattery, but does give them a whopping 62 soldiers (7%, 45 Votes)
- Tormund knows Jon Snow isn't a god, because "what god would have a pecker that small?" (5%, 35 Votes)
- Tyrion accidentally asks to eat a Meereenese woman’s baby (4%, 25 Votes)
- The Hound to a rogue member of the Brotherhood Without Banners: "You're shit at dying." (4%, 24 Votes)
- Tyrion to Varys, after Tyrion unchains the dragons: "Next time I have an idea like that, punch me in the face." (3%, 20 Votes)
- Tyrion on how he knows so much about dragons: "That's what I do. I drink and I know things." (3%, 19 Votes)
- Pycelle farts in fear when the Mountain enters the Small Council meeting (3%, 18 Votes)
- Yara Greyjoy doesn't require that she and Daenerys marry, but is “up for anything, really” (3%, 18 Votes)
- Tormund to Davos: “Happy shitting.” (3%, 17 Votes)
- Tyrion, Missandei, and Grey Worm drink and tell jokes (2%, 13 Votes)
- Dolourus Edd takes over the Night’s Watch by default (2%, 13 Votes)
- The actors in Braavos get Westerosi history incredibly wrong (2%, 13 Votes)
- The Hound immediately steals Lem Lemoncloak's boots after he dies (1%, 9 Votes)
- Jorah’s sand attack fail (1%, 8 Votes)
- Bronn gives Pod impromptu combat lessons (1%, 8 Votes)
- A peasant lies about Cersei's Walk of Shame, and the Mountain punishes him (1%, 7 Votes)
- Lady Olenna threatens Septa Unella with "a good bashing" (1%, 4 Votes)
- Pycelle takes freaking forever to exit Tommen’s room (0%, 1 Votes)
- Gilly adjusts to wearing a dress for the first time (0%, 1 Votes)
- Varys to Tyrion: "You walk like a rich person." (0%, 1 Votes)
- Tyrion tries and fails to play a game with Missandei and Grey Worm (0%, 0 Votes)
- The show smash-cuts to a close-up of the penis of the guy who plays Joffrey in the play (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 650
One of the only options not to receive any votes was Tyrion’s attempt to play a game with Missandei and Grey Worm in “Oathbreaker.” Commenter Jeremy puts it like this:
That scene in which Tyrion attempts to play a game with Missandei and Grey Worm, which had no other purpose than to inject some levity into the episode, was a complete dud in the way of humour. I don’t blame Peter Dinklage, obviously, but the writers.
Even now, that scene looks and feels so weird. I wonder if the audio commentary on the Season 6 boxset will shed some light on what the production was thinking there.
As usual, commenters picked up on a bunch of things that were left off the poll, including:
- Bronn cutting Jaime off before he can tell him that a Lannister always pays his debts. “Don’t say it. Don’t fooking say it.” Poor Bronn, always being jerked around by these highborn types.
- While eating their food, the Hound telling the Brotherhood Without Banners that he prefers chicken, a callback to his epic speech/murder spree in Season 4’s “Two Swords.”
- Davos, holed up in Castle Black with Jon Snow’s body, asking Alliser Thorne for some mutton.
The funnies in Season 6 runneth over.
Next on the Season 6 retrospective: best action scene! Go ahead and leave your suggestions in the comments, and the new poll will up on Friday.