Song of Ice and Fire series is a story like none other; broad and detailed, every part is worth discussing in detail, which is exactly what we do on A Song of Dan and Josh, the show where myself and FanSided editor Josh Hill, who’s never read the novels before, walk through it chapter by chapter, taking it apart and trying to see how it works.
We stream our show live every Wednesday at 4:00 p.m. CST. Today, we hit two chapters from A Game of Thrones, the first book in the series: Daenerys VI and Catelyn VIII. We’ve got mother-son reunions, poisoned wine and more. Let’s get to it:
- Now that her brother is dead, Daenerys Targaryen is at a crossroads: does she set out for Westeros, or settle in for life as a Khaleesi? What does she choose, and what steps does she take to get it? How has she learned from Viserys’ failures?
- King Robert sent an assassin to kill Daenerys, and he just ended up making her return to Westeros inevitable. Whoops.
- Khal Drogo has one hell of a speech at the end of the Daenerys chapter. Is it rousing, terrifying, or both?
- In Catelyn’s chapter, she and Robb Stark reunite after half a book apart. What does she make of this new, more mature version of her son? How does she advise him without usurping his authority?
- Some of our viewers aren’t big fans of Catelyn’s. Why not? We gave a bit of a debate on her flaws and virtues as a character.
- I impress upon Josh that he should remember the name of Lord Wyman Manderly. Just note it down.
- Martin goes into great detail about Robb’s strategy against Tywin and Jaime. Is that needed for the story, or is it just military porn?
Next up: Tyrion VII and Sansa V. We’ll be back on Wednesday July 18; we hope to see you on the Winter Is Coming Facebook page so you can watch it live; feel free to comment in real time!