The Game of Thrones season 8 home video boxset is out on store shelves now, as is Game of Thrones: The Complete Series. Lots of places are releasing behind-the-scenes sneak peaks, including PEOPLE, who just put up an emotional snippet from a featurette entitled, “Duty is the Death of Love.”
This looks like the end of the featurette, with various cast members ruminating on what they’ll miss most about working on the show. You may want to have a tissue or two ready.
Some tear-wringing excerpts for you:
- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime): “I’m going to miss my colleagues. It’s the people, it’s always the people.”
- Sophie Turner (Sansa): “I’m going to miss [creators] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] being on set every day, who have become like older brothers to me. I’m gonna miss people like Sean Savage on camera or Sam Donaghy-Bell who’s a focus puller…It’s a family.”
- Maisie Williams (Arya): “I’ve learned everything from this show and I’ve learned everything from the people I’ve met on this show. I’ve had the best time and the best adolescence that anyone could ever ask for. I’ve been allowed to grow as a person and as an actor, and for that I am truly truly grateful.”
- Kit Harington (Jon Snow): “I’ll miss the camaraderie of everyone on set. I haven’t experienced it before. I don’t think I ever will again”
- Director David Nutter: “I’ll miss everything…I fell in love with this place, I fell in love with these people.”
- Peter Dinklage (Tyrion): “This was so nice to come to every year. I look forward to coming back here to Belfast and seeing my family again, my Game of Thrones family. And I mean that sincerely…It’s our life, more than our job.”
- Emilia Clarke (Daenerys Targaryen): “What I realized the other day is that the show’s given me more than just a job. It’s literally given me a family. It’s given me an identity that I didn’t have and I didn’t think I’d ever be able to play someone like this. She’s been such a savior for me in so many ways.” She thanks David and Dan, the crew, and of course the fans. “The fans have given me a platform, they’ve given me hope. Thank you to all the people I don’t know.”
Oof, Clarke and Nutter especially got to me.
There are also plenty of deleted scenes going around. And those aren’t quite so sad: