Game of Thrones: The best of 2012
By Ours is the Fury on in Press.

The year is almost over and Game of Thrones is capping a fantastic 2012 with appearances on the year-end lists of many critics and websites.

Here’s what a few notable reviews and lists had to say:

• TV Guide says “Game of Thrones proved once again that viewers don’t have to sacrifice thought-provoking character study to enjoy some visceral blood and gore.”
  • MSN calls it the year’s best, complimenting its “sweeping battle scenes” that are “coupled with all the drama, emotion and backstabbing (literally) of a medieval “Dynasty” on steroids.”
  • Time Magazine is calling it “a breathtaking study of how power is seized among the shadows.”
  • A.V. Club includes in it their Best TV of 2012. The fine work of the cast is highlighted, noting that “the expanded role for Alfie Allen’s Theon was a riskier proposition that paid off, and the show’s casting continued to shine with a set of new cast additions.”
  • Mo Ryan of The Huffington Post says that Game of Thrones “greatly improved on its first season and offered some wonderful battles, sharp dialogue and terrific performances along the way.”
  • The show is number 5 on HitFix‘s First Annual Television Critics’ Poll, with 21 critics choosing GoT for their top 10 lists.
  • In addition to the website’s poll, HitFix’s executive editor Dan Feinberg cites the “intimate character work” we see in episodes like “Blackwater,” with “tremendous performances” from Peter Dinklage, Lena Headey, Jack Gleeson and Sophie Turner.
  • Tim Goodman for The Hollywood Reporter ranks the show at #3, calling it “epic” and adding that “the best of Game of Thrones could be ahead of it, which is inspiring and impressive.”
  • As reported previously, Stephen King lists the show among the “Best TV I Saw in 2012″ in EW’s year-end issue, and the magazine named “Blackwater” as the Best TV Episode of 2012.

Ours is the Fury: Game of Thrones has racked up an impressive list of accolades, especially for a fantasy genre show with a dizzying amount of characters and storylines. It’s great to see the second season embraced by the public and the critics.

1. sunspear
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Happy new year everyone! Here’s hoping we’ll be back next year as the #1 show across the critical spectrum.

2. Al Swearengen
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Lets hope season 3 is the year Game Of Thrones finally wins all those dramatic awards.

3. Motelsonthemoon
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

IMDB listed Game of Thrones as the number 1 show of 2012 rated by users also!

4. Aziraphale
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Awwwwwesome!

But…we all knew this! :) Always nice to get confirmation, though!

5. Patchy Face
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Yes-GoT was absolutely robbed in awards season this year…cannot believe that Golden Globes gave no recognition!

6. Jeff O'Connor
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Excellent. :)

7. GeekFurious
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Season 3 will be hailed as the greatest season of television ever… and Emmy voters will all but ignore it.

8. WildSeed
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

sunspear:

I second that. An eventful year for GoT , and to all posters a Happier new year.

9. WildSeed
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury : the accolades are especially good to be reminded of at this
    time. GoT has also received noteworthy mentions for being in great demand
    too, even where access is sketchy. The distinction may even prove to have
    some global effect to expediting changes in Network access issues by season
    four ( hopeful ). The awards will be meted out in strong approvals soon enough,
    but a subject of history making access to linear streams for the future, is contribution
    to Network Protocols and Media Streaming history. Game of Thrones is a game changer.

10. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Cue haters in 5,4,3,2…

11. Eugene Toussaint
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I really can’t wait to see critics reaction to The Red Wedding

12. Monica
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

It’s about the characters. It’s about how power is used/abused. The Game is played today, with different costumes…

13. Hodor the Dread
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Eugene Toussaint,
    I totally agree with you. Most people agree that it was absolutely astonishing when read but now I’m really really excited to see how it turns out on tv. It’s going to be the best hour of television ever (hey isn’t that what everyone was saying about blackwater? And that was pretty damn true…at least until this season’s episode nine) I’ve always been a fan of the unexpected ;)

Hooooooooooodor

14. bon
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

How AVC could doubt that Alfie, would not handle his role? Lets wait to next season’s episode 9. What critics will write? Or even will they will be able to write something after they fall of their chairs?

15. Iron Born
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

I knew this already I know great when I see it

16. David the Grey
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Eugene Toussaint,

I can’t wait to see MY reaction to that event! Will it be less gut-wrenching than the books, or perhaps more so, due to the visual medium? Having become familiar with the portrayal of certain characters by their actors, will it become even more personal and tragic?

I can’t wait to find out, although I am also going to be tremendously sad.

Happy New Year 2013 to all, don’t forget your Kleenex come March! :-)

17. Friend Of fire
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

I do think that season 3 with dany’s arc and the other huge event will literally change tv let alone fantasy on tv

18. Joshua Taylor
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

David the Grey,

Agreed! Once it is done, everyone will be talking about Michael McElhatton.

19. Gatorfisch
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

If they thought that Season 2 was great, wait till Season 3! The critics will be freaking out when Jaime loses his handand Tyrion’s wedding,thinking what could possibly top those surprises…I’m just giddy thinking about it!

20. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Any non-biased spectator could see that GOT’s season 2 was one of the best shows on TV this year. Here’s hoping that it tops the list in 2013, or at least shares the spot with Breaking Bad’s final season.

OT, does anyone know when the first trailer for season 3 will air? HBO is sure to premier their next group of Sunday shows in January. Isn’t that usually when they show trailers for the upcoming season?

21. Mrs. H'ghar
    Posted December 27, 2012 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

All kudos are well-deserved, and there will be many more in the seasons ahead if all goes as we expect. Huzzah to GRRM, D&D, cast and crew, can’t wait for March! Happy New Year to all!

22. mags giantsbabe
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 1:54 am | Permalink

It’s really great to read some positive feedback on season two :)
    I’m at my parents’ for the holidays and brought my GoT S1 dvd to watch again. My parents are not fantasy fans, but my dad couldn’t help but stop and watch every time he walked into the living room, especially with Peter Dinklage’s scenes and he started asking what his role was about. My mom watched episode 5 with me and laughed out loud when Ros tells Theon “he’s good with his fingers, and his tongue”.

If critics are saying this about S2, imagine what they’ll think of S3/4.

23. The Young Wolf
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Battle Of The Fist
    The Red Wedding
    Purple Wedding
    Arya & The Hound at The Crossroads Inn
    Reek
    Astapor
    Stannis saving The Wall
    The Red Viper vs. The Mountain
    Tyrion killing Tywin

So many good things to come!

24. El Beto
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 2:47 am | Permalink

I still think season 2 was crap…
    If only the dumb producers would had make it exactly as the book…
    You bastards!!!

25. El Beto
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 2:49 am | Permalink

The Young Wolf,

Tywin’s dead is going to be on season 4, along with Joffrey’s

26. Grijnwaald
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 3:46 am | Permalink

El Beto:
    I still think season 2 was crap…
    If only the dumb producers would had make it exactly as the book…
    You bastards!!!

Boo!! }:[
    Season 2 was amazing! The scenes with Arya and Tywin were pure genius and that wasn’t in the books! Surely you agree with that at least?!

27. WildSeed
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 3:48 am | Permalink

mags giantsbabe,

I finished watching S1 a few days ago , while HBO repeats the entire season,
    S2 began tuesday. It’s amazing the amount of detail missed with the initial
    viewing, refreshing to re-experience the larger points. Season three is bound
    to confront and excite us all over again, with it’s ambitious agenda.

28. WildSeed
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Grijnwaald,

:D
    He’s drinking fortified wine, shh…..

29. Rene
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 4:32 am | Permalink
  30. tweedie
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 5:21 am | Permalink

El Beto,

You don’t have to watch if you hate it so much friend. Personally I applaud Dave, Dan and all the rest of the production team for pulling off what must have been a difficult and daunting task. I’m guessing that you hate LOTR too beacause there was no Tom Bombadil.

31. fevredream
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 7:08 am | Permalink

El Beto,

*sigh* Obvious troll is obvious. Move along folks, nothing to see here.

32. Aegon the Conqueror
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Let us hope that next season continues to improve on these accolades and is the season that finally wins the serious awards.

33. mags giantsbabe
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Wildseed,

Exactly :) every time I watch it again
    I just drink in the awesome dialogue.

34. Hodor the Dread
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

El Beto,

Hey man, I used to hate the changes they’d make but after watching season two from start to finish, I’ve come to think of the books and the series as two separate ways of telling the same story. It worked for me and now I don’t mind Dave and Dan taking so many liberties. Of course I wish they could have done Jon’s story in season 2 like it was in ACOK because it was awesome the way GRRM told it but now they are on track again. And I didn’t really like the stealing dragon thing in Dany’s story but who am I kidding? She needed some more material for season two! I just wish she wouldn’t be such a bitch sometimes ;)

Hoooodor

35. alex
    Posted December 29, 2012 at 4:46 am | Permalink

The Young Wolf,

i hope the battle scenes will be at least as good as the ones in the Blackwater episode. some of the things you mentioned are really deserve a good TV portrayal.

36. Steven Swanson
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

At least until the 4th season, I just finished another reread of Storm, and if they can pull it off we have an incredible two seasons to look forward to.

37. Steven Swanson
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Joshua Taylor:
    Cue haters in 5,4,3,2…

El Beto:
    I still think season 2 was crap…
    If only the dumb producers would had make it exactly as the book…
    You bastards!!!

Took a little longer than I thought. ;)