David Benioff and Dan Weiss tease “one of the best combat scenes we’ve done so far”
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

In Sunday’s episode of Game of Thrones, Oberyn Martell volunteered himself as Tyrion’s champion in his trial by combat. This will not be an easy undertaking, as Oberyn will face the Lannister’s formidable choice, The Mountain. However, he will finally have the opportunity for vengeance against the man he believes raped and murdered his sister, Elia.

After shooting the combat sequence last fall, showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss spoke with Entertainment Weekly. The pair say that when the show returns after next weekend’s Memorial Day break, viewers will be treated to possibly the best combat scene they’ve done so far.

Weiss says, “It’s not just people hacking at each other with spears and swords. It’s the culmination of 20 years of anger and hatred and thirst for vengeance coming to a head in this amazing set piece that [stunt coordinator Paul Herbert and swordmaster C.C. Smiff] have put together. The fight delivers beyond our expectations.”

Game of Thrones is no stranger to on screen battles, but this particular one has some of the highest stakes ever, with Tyrion’s life hanging in the balance.

VIDEO: Winter is Coming Live: Tyrion’s Champion Presents Himself

Weiss says he knew that this pivotal moment in the story would be a high point if done properly, and discusses the challenges of creating the scene.

“The Mountain is The Mountain — you need to find an enormous human being who can also deliver what you need on physical front. And you need an Oberyn who delivers what you need as an actor and pull off the extremely strenuous side of that fight, which we shot over several days. We were lucky to find Pedro Pascal for Oberyn, who gives such a stunning, fun, and dangerous performance. And Hafþór for The Mountain is a truly unusual specimen…To see somebody who is 6′ 9″ and moving the way he does in person is a surreal sight to behold.”

For the full article, visit Enterainment Weekly.

1. Nick
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Hodor!

2. Dark Heart
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Optimus Prime

3. Ajotanelsona
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I tremble with excitement.

4. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Oh man all abord the hype train!!!

5. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

WTF D&D! The duel should be hands down the best one on one fight scene in the history of television, anything less would be a disservice to the show. It must be a scene talked about for decades whenever people discuss the best fight scenes ever shown on screen.

6. Veltigar
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Joseph Galloway: [narrating] Some had families waiting. For others, their only family would be the men they bled beside. There were no bands, no flags, no Honor Guards to welcome them home. They went to war because their country ordered them to. But in the end, they fought not for their country or their flag, they fought to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron.

7. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

One of the best“? If it’s not “the best“, you haven’t done it right.

8. Tony
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell:
    One of the best“? If it’s not “the best“, you haven’t done it right.

My exact thoughts when i read that…

9. Damon Salvatore
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Alot of negative sore losers on this thread i see

10. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Sometimes I have to take a step back and reflect on just how amazing a read A Storm of Swords was. 14 years ago, Voyager/Bantam was prepping it for release (Aug/Nov 2000). Just wow.

Go Team Shireen!

11. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg:

This. this. This.

I usually don’t like fights or battle scenes, whether it be in books, or screens. I find them somewhat boring. But this one? I was literally on the edge of my seat. I was drinking every word, every movement, every sentence. The flow of the fighters, the rage, the bursting emotion. It was poetry with a spear. I think this is when Oberyn became my favourite character. It wasn’t his fantastic arrival, nor the reveal he would champion for Tyrion, but this.

12. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: It’s going to be good. However, I do feel they fucked up with leaving the Mountain out so much. Was it so hard to name his atrocities once in a while? And more importantly, why didn’t they have the Mountain run into Brienne or Arya or any of the other characters in the Riverlands this season? Would have been far better than that clunky random peasant execution intro.

I don’t think he should have met Arya, or Brienne. It’s important to show that if you meet Gregor Clegane, you won’t come out alive. An almost encounter with the Hound would have been great though. The inn scene could have been used for this.

13. House Threepwood
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

MOTHER OF DUELS.bring it on. If Godzilla and Mothra watch it and feel like lesser men then you did it justice.If not you failed..

14. Dammit Patrice
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

SHUT THE FUCK UP! I LOVE YOU!

15. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I am setting my expectations lower, so as not to be disappointed if it isn’t as good as I imagined. How much detail will go into the fight sequence? Will we see Oberyn’s strategy? Will we see him putting his back to the sun? Will we see him keeping his distance and wearing out the Mountain? Will we see him jabbing at the chinks in the Mountain’s armor? At his knees and shoulders? The shot in the preview where Oberyn swings his spear as though it was a staff and the Mountain blocks it with his sword has me a bit worried that the choreography won’t make much sense. The Mountain could easily break the spear if Oberyn did that.

16. Enfield
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Everyone here who is expressing their worries about the scene should actually read the article. David and Dan make it very clear they know how important it is (‘been planning since Season 1′). They also say it exceeded their expectations and it is ‘one of the best, if not the best’ fights they have ever done. I know youre worried but you should actually get the full story first.

17. Roger König
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg:

With a thinking like that, i promise you, you will be disappointed.

18. Arthur
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Not to be a dick but none of the fights this series shot were impressive, some were okay, like the Hound vs Beric with that flaming sword. I mean it was adequate but nothing I had to find on YouTube.

IMO the Jaime vs Brienne fight was lame as hell. Was very disappointed.

So for D&D to say this will be one of the best fights in the series, IMO isn’t really a high bar.

Why would they use the same stunt guys? Wouldn’t you want to bring in someone special to coordinate this sequence?

Oh well, I’ll just try to be happy with what we get even though my fear is that I’ll be underwhelmed.

19. King Stannis
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Las Vegas is taking bets on Oberyn the prince of Dorne for 5 million. I got a $100 on The Mountain that rides of House Clegane.

Who will win?

*cue Eye Of The Vyper song*

Mr.Mountain is there anything you would like to say to Oberyn? “I will break you”

Oberyn anything you would like to say? “Yo Eliaaaaa”.

There you have it folks! 2 weeks! One great event! Who will be The undesputed champ?

20. Dogs
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

Yeah, I was thinking something cool like, in episode 6: Brienne and Pod run into a group of Lannister soldiers headed back to King’s Landing led by the Mountain. They are torturing peasants (maybe peasants seen earlier in the season; innkeep from Episode 1? that dude and his daughter from episode 3?) to get information about the Hound’s location. Brienne and Pod are appropriately horrified but are helpless to intervene. The Mountain, accepting that Brienne and Pod are under Lannister protection, tells them that he is returning to the capital and that the Hound is out in the Riverlands with a little girl and has killed five Lannister soldiers.

So that when they meet Hotpie at the Inn in the next episode, they could put the pieces together that the Hound has escaped from the Brotherhood, and the girl they heard about before matches the description of Arya Stark, making it actually make sense for them to decide to go to the Eyrie.

21. jkb
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Veltigar:

yep. i don’t think this guy can act for shit though so maybe it’s for the better. i believe his line last episode (‘who am i fighting’) was actually dubbed, if you look closely you can see it’s not perfectly synced (or maybe i’m seeing things).

22. King Stannis
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Veltigar:

They didn’t fuck anything up. They were SMART! Obviously they picked this guy up because they needed a mountain that would look physically huge and play a specific part. Having The mountain run into Arya or Briene would mean the death of those Two so be realistic. All we need is a champion for cercie that is feared and let this mountain do the talking by action during the combat. No more, no less.

23. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

You Raped her! You murdered her! You killed her Children! Say it!

24. Zack
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

The episode synopsis mentions Roose Bolton! :D YEEAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ahem. Excuse me.

As far as the duel goes, I can’t imagine them doing justice to my mental version. They certainly didn’t come close with Jaime/Brienne last year

I’m still excited to see it but I’m trying to keep my expectations at a reasonable level. That usually helps me be as impressed as possible.

25. NewJeffCT
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

It’s a great fight in the books, but what makes it so awesome is Oberyn’s passion and “trash talking”, for lack of a better word. Not to mention Tyrion’s internal monologue going on at the time.

26. Topdecker
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Mariya Martell:
    One of the best“? If it’s not “the best“, you haven’t done it right.

I don’t know if anything can beat Kirk vs Spock.

27. Tim Tangletongue
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Alex Graves did a bad work with the fight between The Hound and Dondarrion so I’m sceptical about that fight.

28. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Tim Tangletongue,

I thought that was the best fight in the show, so far.

29. Daniellica
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Completely OT, but I was just reading comments for a recap on another site (because they are freakin hilaaaaaarious) and I just have to say the following:

THANK YOU.

Seriously. You guys rock, and I don’t mean the authors/editors here (though you guys rock, too!). This is the only ASOIAF/GoT site I visit because of the people who participate, the breadth of opinions and ideas you all bring to this table, the intelligence and wit you possess, and most importantly (for me), the ability to engage in discussion instead of everyone just screaming at everyone else.

So, yeah. Thanks for the awesome. :D

30. kdenn1020
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Zack,

In their defense, much of the impact left on us after Jaime and Brienne’s fight was primarily through the eyes and thoughts of Jaime, which would be difficult to convey on screen. The trial by combat scene was written from Tyrion’s POV, a spectator, just as we will be. I don’t think you should worry based on your comparison.

31. Nezzer
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

GET HYPE

32. Zack
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

kdenn1020,

That’s a great point and you could well be right. My big problem with the Brienne/Jaime fight, aside from its brevity (which was always going to be an issue with adapting that fight), is that it seems to do a poor job of establishing Jaime as one of the top fighters in the world, compared to the text. I wish it had been a more even contest.

But….this fight, between the Viper and Mountain, they’re almost definitely going to work really hard to make it seem like either combatant could win. I hope it captures how tense I was reading it the first time.

33. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Hmm what if Euron has already been cast

Spoilers from a reddit thread:
    In the show: Daario captures the Meereenese fleet during the siege of Meereen, something he wasn’t ordered to do. Ironborn strength is at sea.

Book:
    Daario captures “93″ ships:”He had set sail from the Shields with ninety-three, of the hundred that had once made up the Iron Fleet” – From the beginning of “The Iron Suitor” Chapter in ADWD

34. Feremuntrus
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg:

I agree but at the same time, D&D were even hesitant to call season 4 the best one thus far. I assume their modesty and self-doubt just leads them to intentionally lower others’ expectations so as to not get them disappointed.

I am confident the fight will be one to remember.

35. SillyMammo
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Khal Drago vs The Mountain: Discuss!

36. Somuchforoldtown
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

If D/D have been prepping since S1, why so flip about the casting changes and complete lack of character development for the massive beast of Westeros? Something doesn’t add up here.

37. Swordpen
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink
  38. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Hmm what if Euron has already been cast

Spoilers from a reddit thread:
    Book:

Don’t you mean Vic? That seems to be more than a coincidence. Hmmmm, indeed….

39. King Stannis
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

Somuchforoldtown:

Because some situation are out of their reach. Conan Stevens decided to do other work and by the time they needed another mountain for season 2 they pulled one that was already close to the set. Obviously that mountain wouldn’t be buff enough for the fight so they got what they had with this guy whom obviously is no actor. You act like fucking 6’9 giants grow on trees.
    This shit is not math, it is common sense. But I guess blaming D&D for everything is a hot topic.

40. Turncloak
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Yes Vic set sails with the 93 ships under Euron’s command.

Here’s the thread

41. zod
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

This will not become the best fight in TV history. And here’s why:

42. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

Well, that was an uplifting note! I always look forward to your thoughts. You are a delectable Dornish Red in a world of Mad Dog 20/20.

zod,
    Hilarious! That brings back great childhood memories.

43. ash
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

Daniellica,

You’re welcomed :)

The Mountain needed to be two things: incredibly big, and incredibly cruel. He didn’t need to be a good actor or even know how to say the lines. I suspect he will do just fine. Been looking forward to this for a long time, but since often what I imagine in my head after reading is not the same as what I see in the adaptation, I know it will be different. Thats ok, as long as its good!

44. King Stannis
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

zod:
    This will not become the best fight in TV history. And here’s why:

Omg I was on the edge of my seat! You are right my friend. That was intense and the way that boulder was thrown was beautiful. I guess it is safe to say Oberyn vs the mountain will not top that.

45. zigzag
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

OMG I LOOOVE Oberyn so MUCH! Probably the BEST character ever since season 1… Please win…..if it was any other show I would be sure he’s safe and wins no problem! but with this show…you never know….I pray to all the Gods for his victory…

46. Arthur
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

IMO the Jaime vs Brienne fight was lame as hell. Was very disappointed.

Ill just hope for the best but keep my expectations low.

47. King Stannis
    Posted May 20, 2014 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

I still think this fight will be hard to top. This guy took 3 mountains that ride.
    Best fight on TV without a doubt

48. Arthur
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:04 am | Permalink

This is how the fight should of went down in my opinion…

And this actor could of been The Mountain, surprised he wasn’t because one of the D&D guys wrote for this movie and must have had a connection to him…

49. Arthur
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Look how lame these “armored fights” are IRL now-a-days…

Wonder if real medieval duels looked this corny.

50. Ser Ice
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:29 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

That’s actually book canon tho.He had a few “glancing blows” before …

51. The Spider
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:00 am | Permalink

After the Only Cat fiasco last week I stoped looking forward to this fight featuring the amazing dialogue from the book. Theyll say whatever Fan Fiction David Benoiff comes up with hopefully they wont change the ending of the fight at least

52. Only Your Sister Wrister
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Tim Tangletongue,

I thought that was the best fight in the show, so far.

Hear, hear! You’re a Clegane, I’m a Clegane… yes, YES?!

I agree with you. And I believe they will do this fight justice, if even the god’s justice itself may be compromised.

53. jentario
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:54 am | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

They’re probably trying to be humble. They don’t want to make promises and then disappoint people… If you came out and said “this is the best fight scene in the history of television” it would be too gloaty. And stop judging it based on offhand comments- let’s just wait and see. Two agonizing weeks of wait and see.

54. Daniellica
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:08 am | Permalink

jentario: And stop judging it based on offhand comments- let’s just wait and see. Two agonizing weeks of wait and see.

Hahahahaahahahahaahahaaaaa
    What kind of fans would we be if we just wait-n-see’d? SANE ones? NEVARRRRRRRR!!

55. Rabid Grunt
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:21 am | Permalink

Arthur:
    Not to be a dick but none of the fights this series shot were impressive, some were okay, like the Hound vs Beric with that flaming sword.I mean it was adequate but nothing I had to find on YouTube.

I thought the Hound Beric fight was one of the best, if not the best, I’ve ever seen. Gritty, epic, unusual…

And the bar fight at the start of this season was intense as well. I’m not sure what series you’re watching.

56. cosca
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

=
    Somuchforoldtown,

Character development? The Mountain? What the fuck am I reading?

57. jentario
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 2:53 am | Permalink

cosca,

I second this

Arthur,

The Inn from Two Swords comes to mind. The best fight scene so far, no doubt. The Hound and Berric are second. I agree that Jaime and Brienne’s fight was disappointing, though.

Anyway, I guess it’s better to be a negative Nancy so you have the chance of being pleasantly surprised. The way I approach it is I expect nothing until the episode airs.

58. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

The Beric vs. the Hound fight was the best one-on-one fight the series has done. If Oberyn vs. the Mountain isn’t quite as good as that one, that doesn’t mean it’s bad. We really can’t tell anything about the quality of the fight, except maybe for the couple seconds of it that have been in the trailers.

I find it so frustrating that when showrunners show confidence in the scene that they have filmed, some fans turn it into something to criticize. “If you aren’t confident it is THE best fight you’ve ever done, you’ve f–ked up.” Come on, guys, criticism is good, but this is just silly.

59. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:13 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Mariya Martell,

DON’T TELL ME WHAT TO DO!

I have to get my opinion out there now, because I won’t be able to form any coherent thoughts after the episode airs.

60. Ludo
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Tim Tangletongue,

Are you mad ? The fight between Dondarrion and The Hound was fantastic. Both actors completely nailed it.

61. Veltigar
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:31 am | Permalink

Mariya Martell: I agree. They had the perfect opportunity to show us the cruelty of the Mountain with the reaving of the Riverlands. At the very least, in the times we have seen the burning land, they could have said it was him.

Well, when I say meet I mean that they should have featured him in some way. The random people in Arya’s episodes should have been killed by the Mountain or his men. And Brienne should have actually met him. Like a scene where they arrive and the greg is busy killing some armed villagers. Things go sour quick and they almost go toe to toe (shoot the ecene in such a way that we really see how big the Mountain is, even when compared to Brienne) then Pod saves the day by whipping out oatkeeper. Gregor sees the Lannister swords and grudgingly let’s them past. After that have a scene where pod tells heehow lucky she was for getting a way.

And that’s how you truly built up the Mountain as a hardcore badass.

Dogs:
    Veltigar,

I like this idea. Although I would add some armed warriors (why not Northern survivors of the Red Wedding orr soldiers of the BwB) to the peasants. And I would leave the little girl out, just mention the Hound and Gregor’s hate. And then what I mentioned above :)

King Stannis: They didn’t fuck anything up. They were SMART!Obviously they picked this guy up because they needed a mountain that would look physically huge and play a specific part. Having The mountain run into Arya or Briene would mean the death of those Two so be realistic. All we need is a champion for cercie that is feared and let this mountain do the talking by action during the combat. No more, no less.

No, see above.

jkb: yep. i don’t think this guy can act for shit though so maybe it’s for thebetter. i believe his line last episode (‘who am i fighting’) was actually dubbed, if you look closely you can see it’s not perfectly synced (or maybe i’m seeing things).

He doesn’t need to do much more than look pissed. Give hims ome growling lines, which can be dubbed and that’s all you need.

Dammit Patrice:
    Veltigar,

SHUT THE FUCK UP! I LOVE YOU!

THANKS, I LOVE you too :p (I guess?) :p

yPrivate Reiben: I got a bad feeling about this one.
    Captain Miller: When was the last time you felt good about anything?
    Private Reiben: when they casted Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

62. Harry
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:46 am | Permalink

IMO Troy from 2004 had the best fight scene with similar conditions (spears and swords). The fight Achilles vs. Hector was awesome (see Youtube).

I would be happy if the Gregor/Viper fight scene comes even remotely close to this one.

BTW: Eric Bana would have been a great Oberyn too!

63. Greenjones
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,
    Ludo,

Exactly. That’s why many of us were so excited to find out that Graves was directing episode eight. Of course then we’d only presumed the fight would take place here.

64. Only Your Sister Wrister
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:14 am | Permalink

jentario,

The Inn fight was my favorite this season, a nice treat for everybody (with fuckin awesome dialog to build up)… but for me, so far nothing tops the Beric/Hound fight. Maybe something to do with looking forward to the scene- AMPED.

Two weeks indeed…

SO AMPED

65. Bodo Temote
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:29 am | Permalink

These two weeks are going to be torture. I want to see a good fight but I don’t know what
    I’ll do if Oberyn loses this. I love his character and the actor who plays him. Not to mention Tyrion being executed if he loses. For the first time ever I hate Memorial Day…lol

66. Damon Salvatore
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:36 am | Permalink

The Spider,

Weird, because most of this called “Fan Firion” was still better than anything we got in AFFC and most of ADWD .

67. Greenjones
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:44 am | Permalink

This image from the ep. eight promo shows Bronze Yohn, Anya Waynwood and Cobray from left to right.

Could someone on the Game of Thrones wiki update the Bronze Yohn and Cobray pages so that they include these as temporary images. I’m sure someone could get a higher res screengrab if necessary (this one is likely too shoddy).

68. Courtjezter
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 4:46 am | Permalink

It better be as good as this or i wont watch it.

69. Hodorskiy
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 5:41 am | Permalink

Mariya Martell,

Mariya Martell,

I bet that still won’t be better than the Kirk vs Gorn one!

70. Felagund
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 5:43 am | Permalink

I am waiting the scene with modest expectations, given the fact that the fight choreographer obviously haven’t done any training in actual swordsmanship other than fancy stage fencing (or if he did, he tried his best to hide it), but I do hope that at least it will be spectacular…

71. PodricksThirdLeg
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 6:23 am | Permalink

Leaked video of The Red Viper and The Mountain during the set. So epic! I can’t wait!!!

72. Shock Me
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Mariya Martell: Martell

They HAD the perfect opportunity to introduce Arya to the Hound in the reaving of the Riverlands when he (actually in the books)captured Arya, Gendry, Lommy, and Hot Pie FAR from Harrenhall. The fact they moved all the torture to Harrenhall scenes with only a skinny Mountain didn’t help. We should have a visceral hatred for this guy. We should hate him MORE than Joffrey.

73. Veltigar
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 6:54 am | Permalink

Dogs:
    Veltigar,

I could see something like that work. Although I would add some warriors into the mix (northern survivors of the RW or soldiers of the BwB). See Gregor tear them apart, than Brienne tries to stop him and then it looks like greg will make minced meat of her (film it in a way that emphasises how puny even Brienne is compared with this human tank).

But then Pod intervenes by showing oatkeeper. Seeing the Lannister sword, the Mountain backs off. after that a scene where Pod tells her who lucky she was to survive the Mountain and you have built up.

No, see above.

Dammit Patrice:
    Veltigar,

SHUT THE FUCK UP! I LOVE YOU!

THANKS, RIGHT BACK AT YA (I guess?) :p

74. Mariya Martell
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

Hodorskiy:
    Mariya Martell,

Mariya Martell,

I bet that still won’t be better than the Kirk vs Gorn one!

PodricksThirdLeg:

Please don’t make me go look for Bollywood fight scenes, because I will!

75. Myk
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

The Spider,

The “Only Cat” fiasco? Really? Really?? As if it makes a damn bit of difference. What a nitpicking clown.

76. The Ghost of Karl Tanner
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Both of these Fookin c’nts are lucky I’m dead north of the wall. I could take them both. Fookin cowards in armor, Fookin highborn c’nts!!!!

77. serum
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

This is one of my favorites of all time!

Pullo – with a little help from Vorenus

78. Saar
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I don’t know if anyone has already brought this up, but Lena Headey apparantly revealed on instagram that Lady Stoneheart will make an appearance.
    She posted a photo on her instagram of stones put together in the shape of a heart, with the quote my stone heart.
    This seems to confirm that LS will indeed make an appearance and probably at the end of this season.

79. sati
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Saar,

Yeah that pic is like one month old, funny how only now some of those ‘fansites’ dug it up. Lena hinted at LS last year too, she is so funny – she didn’t read the books but she just fangirls over stuff that’s gonna happen :)

80. GeekFurious
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

To me, the best combat scene they’ve done so far was in 4.01 between the Hound & the Lannister men in the inn, with Arya joining in. The other top ones are the two trials by combat.

Many combat scenes in this show have felt very generic and not in keeping with Martin’s realism. I actually never understood the praise for Blackwater. It looked so-so. Except for the one massive cgi scene, it was pretty generic.

Having said that, I expect the Viper vs the Mountain to be epic. Because they can take all their inspiration from the book and don’t need to short-change the audience due to budget (like in Blackwater), since it is just 2 fighters.

81. PodricksThirdLeg
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Saar:

82. Saar
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

PodricksThirdLeg: That does not confirm anything neither it is revealing anything so stop jumping the gun and stop posting spoilers. If anything is revealed in the show is because it is on the book not because some damn picture. Come at me when it comes from the horses mouth that is revealed.

83. King Stannis
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:13 am | Permalink

GeekFurious:

I’m calling it right now, you will say that the Viper Vs The Mountain fight was okay after it airs just because it will played differently on your head.

84. PodricksThirdLeg
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Saar: chill dude, I wanna bet with you that she will appear this episode, because they’ve hinted at it too much and it would be to epic not to have her on the show

85. cosca
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

If George was going for realism, he probably shouldn’t have had Tyrion on a killing spree during the Battle of Blackwater.

86. Maxwell James
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 11:59 am | Permalink

GeekFurious,

What made “Blackwater” great was the non-combat scenes. I agree with you that the combat choreography was just so-so, although the scale & cinematography were impressive for TV.

I would still put The Hound vs. Lord Beric as the best individual fight scene in the show (and one of the better swordfights I’ve seen in ANY movie or TV show). It’s a scene I don’t particularly care for in the book (the outcome was too obvious), but in the show they made great use of the space and the fires. The choreography was mostly well-done and realistic, minus a few flourishes. And there was a minimum of Flynning – both actors (& stunt doubles) were swinging their weapons _hard_, at each other. Also it’s the only fight scene so far to feature the use of shields, which I appreciated.

Agreed though that the fight scene in “Two Swords” was great as well. NCW and Harrington get more props for their swordsmanship, but among the actors Rory McCann is the MVP of GoT’s action scenes.

87. Tatters
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

cosca,

And how did that end up for Tyrion?

88. lol
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Maxwell James,

Vardis used a shield in his fight against Bronn (who explicitly turned down one).

89. lol
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Myk:

The “Only Cat” fiasco?Really?Really??As if it makes a damn bit of difference.What a nitpicking clown.

Book reader rage is so adorable. It’s so funny how upset the bookbeards get over the tiniest little things.

90. GeekFurious
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

King Stannis: I thought Blackwater was good but I guess you can’t satisfied some people that complain about everything as if they can make any better just because they “read it in a book”

You are a child.

91. Tim Tangletongue
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Ludo, Yep, they were good but the direction was awful. Changing plans every seconds making the scene muddle, dangerous for people with epilepsy…

92. YeOldGods
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

This is so confusing, albeit hilarious. Martin’s realism? The fact that the fights are generic in the show make them more realistic. Medieval single combat wasn’t something out of Spartacus…it was literally hacking at an armored person until you got him on the ground or found an uncovered joint to stick your blade in. So excuse me if I find the show’s combat more realistic than Robert Baratheon running into battle with a war hammer that was completely impractical and all but non-existent in history.

93. King Stannis
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: You are a child.

Last i checked a child complains and whines. Let’s see which of us matches that description when the show does not go by the book.

94. Felagund
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

lol,

I wouldn’t consider _that_ as ‘using a shield’. He acted as if it were the first time he ever held a shile in his hand. He should have shoved Bronn right out the Moon Door being at least 20-30 kgs heavier than him. Not to mention the wide, absolutely uncontrolled swings he made with his sword, tha absolute lack of footwork, etc. Overall he seemed it was the first time ever fighting with a sword and a shiled in armor. (Bronn himself was not so much better, either, might I note…) The whole fighting was by far the worst and most ridiculous onne that was ever staged in the series…

95. Tatters
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

YeOldGods,

Um warhammers is a thing right?
    Today Robert would be a heavyweight strongman, back then people made up all types of impractical shit, like armor, or halberds. This is early medieval, when people was out for the most brutal. Warhammers are definitely more brutal than longswords, which are clumsy. And we have yet to see details about this battle yet.

96. Jack Tripper
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

Yeah, war hammers were very prevalent during the middle ages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_hammer Not sure what YeOldGods is on about there.

97. Felagund
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

No offense, but you obviously haven’t had a proper sword (let alone a warhammer) in your hand, have you?

YeOldGods is absolutely right in the sense that warhammers, such as described for king Robert were NEVER EVER in practice in the Middle-Ages. The warhammer is a late medieval weapon which is a response to the invention and spread of high quality plate armor, that was virtually impervious to longsword blows. The warhammer was therefore an armor-piercing weapon, resembling an ice-axe, ending in a sharp and robust point, not with a huge and blunt (and heavy) head a sledgehammer. A weapon such as that, weighing like 10-15 kgs, would have been absolutely useless as no matter how strong you are, you would have been hilariously slow with it and would be dead in like 20 seconds in a real fight.
    And regarding swords being “clumsy”, you are absolutely wrong. No medieval longswords were heavier than 2.5-3 kgs (but usualy around 2 kg tops) and they were superbly balanced, and could be used remarkably fast. Check out youtube for videos of any Historical European Martial Arts practitioner.
    Medieval people were not half as stupid as we now like to think they were…

98. Thoros of Brooklyn
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

There better be an epic curtain call ready for Oberyn.

99. Tatters
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Felagund,

Well, european swords were definitely not the best swords around, just ask the japanese. And we dont know what metal or methods are used here, we know that Donal Noye made this hammer, a guy who kills giants one handedly. This doesnt just seem like some normal weapon, it reminds me about giant tsar canon. The kind of iconic weapon that you would use for your own pleasure. I doubt Robert used to fight on the battfield, maybe specifically for Rhaegar.
    No matter, Robert could kill anyone with any weapon. The guy is a beast.

100. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Felagund,

I went to Youtube and looked at some of the HEMA videos…the fighting style is very different than what you see on shows and much more realistic. There are two differences in the HEMA fights and what would have actually happened in Medieval times. First, match fighting lends itself to action in short bursts interspersed with breaks. So the presence of the Ref and the stopping of action for safety causes that. The second thing is that they aren’t wearing armor. Armor not only hampers fluidity (unless it is extremely well made) but it also tires out the fighter that much faster. Not to disparage what the HEMA fighters are doing (I think it is very cool) but to envision what real sword fights would look like take the HEMA fighting and take out those those two differences.

Another point about the short bursts of action…even with a ref…real fights are short. Why? Because it’s exhausting even if you are in really good shape. The average street fight lasts less than 30 seconds. The average fight between cops and suspects is the same. If you’ve ever been in a fist fight or have martial arts training, you know exactly what I’m saying. Now add heavy armor and swords? And you’ve got VERY short fight sequences. Not all that fun for TV and movies. So pretty much nothing we see on TV and movies is all that realistic. I mean martial arts movies are ridiculous nowadays. Real fighting is short and messy under the best of circumstances.

101. Felagund
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ,

I know, why tell me this? :D
    Most of the videos are of unarmored combat (bloßfechten), but you can also find armored fights (harnischfechten), they look nothing like the ones in the series. Lets just start with the fact that in armored combat, the opponents were more like wrestling than trading blows, as a longsword cut is virtually ineffective against plate armor, therefore the standard grip was the so-called half-sword technique (halbschwert – grabbing the hilt with one hand and the middle of the blade with the other one to provide stability for thrusts), which is never _ever_ seen in this series. Truth be told, I haven’t seen it in _any_ movie that dealed with armored fighting, though I admit it is a lot less spectacular, than fancy sword-swinging :)

It is perfectly okay to stage dramatic and spectacular fights in a TV-series that emphasizes on visuality (obviously), but in GoT they are so far away from realism (which, in general, is a well-known trademark of GoT) that it is shocking (for me at least, who is, however slightly, versed in traditional swordsmanship). Let’s just take the half naked Ramsay defeating the fully armed and armoured “best killers of the Iron Islands” with two daggers without receiving even the tiniest of scratches. I mean, COME ON, what are we talking about???

Tatters,

If you are referring to the katana, the miracle of the Japanese swordsmiths was not that they could make an ultimately superior blade (much of the legend of the Japanese sword is entirely fictional) but that they could actually make a quite decent sword out of that shitty iron they had. Iron sources found in Japan are very bad in quality, so they really had to counter it somehow with superior ingenuity.
    However sharp and sturdy it was, in comparison with the longsword, the Japanese sword is quite short for its weight (they weigh generally the same (1,2-1,5 kg) but the longsword blade is 30 cm longer on average), and the longsword is also double edged and better suited for thrusting, compared to the single-edged Japanese sword with a rather blunt point.

As for being a fantasy where these “faults” are permitted (or, at least, overlooked) is a way better argument than your previous one, although we have no reason to believe that either the people or the basic resources available were any different than in our real world and therefore we should suppose that (with the obvious exception of the magical valyrian steel) iron and steel weapons generally were in the same weight-category as their real-world counterparts. :)

102. YeOldGods
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

Felagund,

Chiefs, read the text about Robert’s warhammer. “Ned could barely heft it”, and that’s a guy who wielded Ice, an enormous broadsword. Warhammers were not big in medieval europe, they resembled more of a pick ax, and they were used for piercing through armor to get to flesh. The video game like warhammer Robert used was a piece of pure fantasy writing, much like the sword made out of fallen meteor(ite?). Oh wait, Robert was like 6’8 and 300 pounds. TOTAL REALISM that mirrors medieval europe. GRRM’s writing is amazing, and it’s heavily realistic in different ways, but not combat.

SO please ask yourselves what I’m on about after you do more than cursory wikipedia search to check that a warhammer merely existed. Lol, “GRRM’s Realism”.

103. Saar
    Posted May 21, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

PodricksThirdLeg: I wanna bet with you that she will appear towards the end because I trust the showrunners

thats exactly what I meant haha, don’t know how I typed episode, I think I was in a rush or something

104. Felagund
    Posted May 22, 2014 at 5:42 am | Permalink

YeOldGods,

I really don’t see the point of the use of the plural :D

105. Joshua Atreides
    Posted May 22, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I have told myself that I am not getting hyped for this fight, but I am getting hyped for this scene. As good as this production is, its still television and it simply won’t be as cinematic as we visualized in our heads. If it’s on par with Beric vs The Hound, I will be satisfied. If it’s better than the aforementioned season 3 duel than bravo. But I will be placing my focus on the drama of the scene as a whole.

Thus I am hyped with realistic expectations.

Also the previously.tv UnSullied do not care for the third casting of the Mountain (Among other things…ugh). As awesome as Lena looked walking over that entrails in Gregor 3.0′s intro scene, i think it was a mistake to have Gregor bare chested. I get they want to emphasize his brute strength in that regard but It would have been wise to have him in full plate as a way to pursue the continuity established with Gregor 1.0 (Conan Stevens).

106. TheWolfofWinterfell
    Posted May 22, 2014 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Enfield,

This.

Seriously, this site has turned into a bunch of over-privileged spoiled babies.

The scene is going to be great. Everyone needs to stop acting like they’ve ruined the series since day one.

107. Tatters
    Posted May 22, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

YeOldGods,

Its as realistic as fantastic fighting get, unlike how they seem make Oberyn a ninja master in the show. That is unlucky, and distracting.

1. […] We may just need this break to prepare us for the following weeks, as we’ve been promised 3 unforgettable episodes to close out what has already been an amazing Season 4. Starting with one of the best – if not the best – combat scenes David and Dan have ever done. […]