George R.R. Martin’s Editor, Anne Groell, answers fan questions in Live Q&A, hopes to have TWOW “reasonably soon”
By Lightbringer on in Books, Interview.

Anne Groell with the ADWD ManuscriptToday, Editor to George R.R. Martin, Anne Groell, participated in a live Q&A session at Suvudu Universe. Anne spent an hour answering some of the top voted questions submitted by fans over the past week.

She revealed what she could about the progress George has made on The Winds of Winter, discussed the possibility of finishing the series with more than seven books, and if she knows how it all ends. Check out some of the best questions and answers below, and visit Suvudu for the full Q&A.

This Q&A does cover all of the books released so far, so there are vague plot spoilers, proceed with caution!

Do you think it will take GRRM more then 7 books to finish ASOIAF?
I begin to wonder—though 7 is what we currently have under contract. I remember when he called me, years and years back, to confess that his little trilogy was…well…no longer a trilogy. He predicted four books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he said five books. I said Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Then he went to six. I said… Well, you get it. Finally, we were on the same page. Seven Books for Seven Kingdoms. Good. Only, as I recently learned while editing THE WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE (another awesome thing you must buy when it comes out!), there are really technically eight kingdoms, all having to do with who has annexed what when Aegon the Conqueror landed in Westeros. So, maybe eight books for Seven Kingdoms would be okay. Also, he has promised me that, when he finally wraps this great beast, I can publish the five page letter outlining the bare bones of the “trilogy.”

When will TWOW be released?
For TWOW, when I have a date, you will have a date. I’m now on Twitter, Del Rey Spectra has a number of social media platforms, and I promise you we will put the word out as soon as we know. All I can say is that George is hard at work, and we hope to have it reasonably soon. I currently have 168 pages that he submitted back in Feb 2013 in order to receive a contracted payment, but I know more exists, because he keeps talking about chapter he hasn’t yet sent me. In fact, when we wanted to put an exclusive excerpt on the A WORLD OF ICE AND FIRE app—a magnificent thing which you all should buy and use!—he suggested the second Tyrion chapter, which I then had to remind him was not in the sample I had.

We know that the producers of the TV show Game of Thrones know in broad strokes the ending of the main character arcs of A Song of Ice and Fire. Without giving anything away, do you know the ending, too?
No. George is a very secretive fellow, and guards his secrets well. I do know a few things from AWOW, but mainly because we had to shorten a few elements in the book as it was already getting too long, and he had to reveal a few secrets so I could help him redirect parts of the plot a bit. I do know the endpoint of Bran’s story line—and Daniel Abraham, who has been adapting the graphic novel of AGOT for me, knows where Tyrion ends up. (I am jealous of that!) But much in the way all of you have been keeping secrets from show watchers who have not yet read the books (and I continue to be impressed by how secret you all kept the Red Wedding), I also will never tell what I know. George has somehow managed to swear us all to this amazing conspiracy of silence, which I admire and appreciate and fully participate in! I had a very amusing lunch with Daniel in which we very pointedly did not tell each other what the other one knew. In short, like you, I Keep George’s Secrets.

Have you ever tried convincing George into using a laptop for writing and writing on the road instead of only writing on his computer at home?
Good gracious, yes! Multiple times. He is one stubborn man, and very set in his ways, though.

Do you enjoy watching HBO’s Game of Thrones?
I love it. It’s the only show I treat like a movie. My husband and I watch it faithfully with another friend (and if she can’t make it over on a Sunday, we wait to watch it until she can see it with us.) Mostly we watch TV with the living room lights on, but for GOT, we turn off all the lights and pretend we are in a movie theater, and that nothing else exists. I think David and Dan are doing a terrific job keeping true to the spirit of the books while still needing to cut for time. It’s been fascinating doing my own adaptation with Daniel of the graphic novel, and comparing the choices we make (we have a bit more space in 24 issues of 29 page each than they did with roughly ten hours per book) with the choices they made. In any adaptation, you have to take some liberties.

From what you’ve read about The Winds of Winter so far, and, without spoiling anything, how good do you think the book is compared to the others in the series?
It’s amazing. In fact, when I first read the partial back in 2013, I immediately wrote George an impassioned plea to please not let the show get out ahead of him. I can’t predict what will happen from here, but I definitely want his version to be my first version. And I think a lot of you want that, too. His vision started this; I very much want his vision to end it, too.

Game of Thrones: Lysa, Petyr and Sansa by winteriscoming

1. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

That sound you just heard was every Game of Thrones fan collectively jumping out the window.

2. GeekFurious
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

She was more open in her response than I expected. Good answers.

3. Dave
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

“I do know a few things from AWOW…” A Waltz of Wabbits?

I assume it’s a typo.

4. Toble
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

The portion of this article that appears on the main page before the jump confirms that Tyrion is still alive and a POV character in Winds of Winter. Given that his fate is very much up in the air for unsullied viewers at this point of the show, may want to put that small amount of information behind the jump. Especially after the fight coming on Sunday, I’m guessing many unsullied will be very nervous about Tyrion surviving past this season.

5. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Reasonably soon… So 2017?

6. fuelpagan
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

No way he finishes before the show finishes.

7. Sunfyre
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Yeah, very candid. I like that she begged him to work hard to stay ahead of the show.

8. Lightbringer
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Toble,

Thank you for pointing that out, I rearranged the post a bit :)

9. GeekFurious
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth:
    Reasonably soon… So 2017?

2015 when he gets all the pages to her. So, late 2015. Maybe October.

10. Jamie's festering hand
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Reasonably soon means 2015. Plus 8 books is now much more likely, the way that both GRRM and now Groell have raised this as a possibility is not a coincidence and part of a trend. It is probably deliberate to warm up the fanbase to the news that there will be 8 books, so they’re not ‘surprised’. Bet the last book is called a time for wolves.

11. I am no knight
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

Is anyone else as excited/interested as I am to see the 5pg outline of the ‘trilogy’ after it’s all finished?!

12. BOB
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I think that there should have been a spoiler tag in the heading. otherwise I really loved this interview and it gives me hope that I’ll get to read it before the show catches up. fantastic work! I love this site!

13. Nicolai
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Ser Davos Seaworth,

She hopes on the beginning of 2015. I also hope that.

14. fuelpagan
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

Figure in a 6 month book tour…that leaves him 1 year to publish the final book before the last season of the show starts.

15. PARTY_OPPONENT
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

I am no knight,

Yes! Although I wonder how interested I’ll be in 2037.

16. Astalnar
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

AWOW in 2015? I mean, 4 years should be wait long enough, or are we setting a new record? As if the wait for ADWD was not long enough…

17. GeekFurious
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

I think the 6th book is the most important to have out before 2016 because that’s when they will start mining that material for the show. And I have a feeling that the master plan is to end the show after the 7th season, going into only the material in the 6th book. Then, make three 3-hour movies (like Lord of the Rings) that cover the end-game material. You can even do a prologue sequence that catches non-book readers and non-show viewers up. It would essentially be about as many hours as an 8th season, except with 2 or 3 times the budget.

18. Sunfyre
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Haha, she tried to get him to take out some of the many instances of “words are wind”. Wonder how she felt about “where do whores go?”

19. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

20. Johnny Camp
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

21. TFT
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

The show will get ahead of him regardless of what the fans and this nice woman want. Either seasons 6 and 7 will be fanfiction from D&D (God, I hope not. It will ruin everything) or the last two seasons will spoil the plotlines but with different dialogue (because the dialogue has not been written yet). That’s also bad but at least GoT stays an adaption if that’s the case. Grrm doesn’t seem to care. All he keeps blabbing about is that the books and show are different entities… He is faaaar too stubborn.

22. Rogge
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

They have no doubt been hard at work with the scripts for next season already. They start filming in.. june? right?

And next season, they will be going beyond written material for several storylines.

This time next year, spring 2015, they will be writing scripts for a season that goes beyond publish material for all storylines. When they write those scripts, the book must already have been published, and they must have had time to go through it.

The next book is needed late 2014/VERY early 2015 to be useful for the season when the show goes into uncharted territory…

23. Adam
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

I’d like to think that there’s a universe in which HBO halts its cash cow after TWOW so as not to spoil book readers – a small minority in its audience – then waits a few years for GRRM to finish the series, and then somehow collects together all the remaining cast members (and their by-then exorbitant salary demands) for a movie trilogy.

Unfortunately, the world we live in is bound by the laws of logic. C’est la vie.

Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I’ve always predicted spring 2016. Still sticking with that, although I hope it comes sooner.

25. Veltigar
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: 2015 when he gets all the pages to her. So, late 2015. Maybe October.

Geek, I hope you’re right about this. Although sooner would be nice :p

Jamie’s festering hand:

Yeah, GRRM will probably wind up making the eight.

GeekFurious:

Really don’t see that happening. They might make a movie about the absolute final part of the books (like the last 300 pages of book 7/8), but even that’s a stretch. I’d say that if they wanted to do that, they would already be busy in trying to adopt the D&E stories into (TV) movies as a way to gain experience for the big wopper.

I think the most likely option is an extended seventh season. Instead of a final 10 episodes we get like 16 or so, spread out over two years. That seems to be in vogue right now.

Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by…
    [Hulk flattens Loki with repeated smashes into the floor]
    The Hulk: Puny god. Can’t even stop Hulk from casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

26. Fancy word for a sellsword
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

The ASOIAF books will end just in time for the reboot of the show twenty years from now. Luckily, George will use his new found wealth to keep himself alive for another 50 years.

27. GeekFurious
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy: The master plan is to finish the story in 7 seasons, regardless of Martin’s progress – it was said loud and clear many times. No one in HBO or among the actors will want to do ASOIAF related stuff in 2025.

You’d shoot it like LOTR, all 3 movies in one 1.5-year cycle. Meaning you’d start right after finishing season 7. So the actors would complete their main commitment to the show in 2018, not 2025 (I don’t even know how you pulled that number out). Also, the actors would make more money shooting the movie than the show. So they’d happily jump on-board.

As for your other statement about how loud and clear their plan was… that’s laughable. It’s not even based on any reality.

28. Summer
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

My optimism is getting smaller every year, especially now that it’s inevitable that AFFC and ADWD will last more than one season together. For George to finish before the series the following has to happen:

-WoW needs to release before april 2016
    -HBO need to make two seasons to adapt WOW. This is only possible if they include all the major characters from all the new AFFC and ADWD storylines. No cutting or the butterfly effect will make sure major cuts of WoW will happen too.
    -George needs to finish book 7 in 2 years.

Not going to happen…

29. GeekFurious
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Rogge:

30. Macharius
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

He will never finish them is my prediction. No offense meant to this genius of a man, but he writes terrifyingly slowly, is quite old and quite overweight. You do the math yourselves. In a way I’m sad the finish of his story will be told by D&D, but in a way I’m happy it will be told at all.

31. SilverStormm
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Well, well, well, I won a prize, go me! :)

32. Mad Hatter
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

“I dont like that she knows the “endpoint” of only Bran’s story line….why would she know only his?”

I was thinking the same thing but she says “endpoint” not end so that could indicate a location where he ends up (book readers know) rather than death. It would seem Bran had already reached his “endpoint.” Poor Bran. Well, poor everyone in this crazy game of thrones.

33. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

This is a surprisingly candid and thorough response from Ms. Groell. She has my respect.

It has been over a year since she has received anything? Yikes! Must be a challenge to work with good ol’ stubborn GRRM.

Seven books for seven kingdoms!

34. Ginevra
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious:

I thought I read or heard in the Cogman interview that they were writing the scripts for next season right now. And I also thought next season would be a combination of Books 4 and 5. Assuming they cover both books roughly in one season, which I thought was the plan, then they’ll need new material a year from now – in spring or summer of 2015 – to be able to use book material to build the scripts. Or do I have something wrong? Thanks.

35. Sunfyre
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious: No. George just has to have the book finished, not released, to come out BEFORE the 2016 season. Meaning book readers would have the 2016 and 2017 show material first.

This is true. GRRM could share the nearly completed manuscript with D&D in early to mid 2015 so they can write their season 6 scripts accordingly. Then the finished book would need to be released in stores before season 6 airs in the spring of 2016. that should avoid most of the major spoilage.

36. Adam
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Ginevra: I thought I read or heard in the Cogman interview that they were writing the scripts for next season right now.And I also thought next season would be a combination of Books 4 and 5.Assuming they cover both books roughly in one season, which I thought was the plan, then they’ll need new material a year from now – in spring or summer of 2015 – to be able to use book material to build the scripts.Or do I have something wrong?Thanks.

That’s right. We should start seeing that material in 2016 – the writers will need it about a year earlier.

37. Cumsprite
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

A few good nuggets. I like the part where Martin is holding back chapters from his editor.

Groell spent two weeks on ADWD reordering chapters and snipping a handful of paragraphs?

ADWD rushed to the printer, unedited, confirmed.

38. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Permalink
  39. KG
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

She seems like a nice and sensible woman. I like her and I haven’t even met her!

40. Brodor
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

8 seasons is totally possible, as D&D have said themselves. It’s not set in stone as only 7

41. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Brodor:

Let’s say I’d be very surprised if the show runs for 8 full seasons. A slightly longer 7th season, or split season of 6-7 episodes in each part is a slightly more realistic scenario, though I wouldn’t bet on it.

42. Turncloak
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Ginevra,

That seems to be the plan. They will probably cut arcs such as Brienne’s travels (no meeting Randyl Tarly, no meeting nimble dick, no battle with the bloody mummers, no running into the hound gravedigger), Quentyn’s arc, Sam and Gilly’s travels, Shorten Dany’s Mereen knot. I just hope the keep the Ironborn and Griff/Young Griff arcs.

43. Patchy Face
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I believe that the 7 v. 8 season run will depend entirely on D&D and whether they want to stick around for a full 8 seasons – they most likely have other things they would like to pursue.

44. Delta1212
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I won’t be surprised if it hits 8 seasons, but nor will I be surprised if it ends at 7. I will be surprised if it goes 9 seasons and the people I still occasionally see throwing around 10+ season numbers are delusional.

45. Brodor
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

D&D knew what they were singing on for when they started the project. I think if it requires one more season after 7 to complete this series they will do it. As long as the show still has high ratings and much appraise, I can’t see HBO or D&D not allowing it to happen. I’d say the actors are the bigger concern to stay on. I’m sure most fans would like to see 8 seasons instead of rushing it through. Even GRRM would probably like that more. This could go down as one of the greatest shows ever.

46. Rob
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Jamie’s festering hand,

Which was the original title of the last The Winds of Winter, so not a far stretch.

47. KG
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Probably Bran’s complete story was finalized first, and long before all the success. GRRM wouldn’t have had to be so secretive in earlier days.

Johnny Camp:

48. KG
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I think people would like the Randyll Tarly bit – to finally see Sam’s awful dad.

49. Turncloak
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

Geez 14 “words are wind” in ADWD.

Let’s play a game of overused sayings in ASOIAF
    I’ll go first:

“If I look back I am lost”

50. Turncloak
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

KG:
    Turncloak,

Including myself. It all depends on where Brienne’s arc ends this season

51. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

The mention of eight books might be due to pressure from publisher and HBO to get another book finished by end of year for a pre-season five release. Therefore George will get to a point in Winds where a 800 page book is possible (Think CoK) then continue working feverishly so in two years the seventh book is published. My thinking based upon this and the talk of motion picture GoT is the tv show might conclude where Dany arrives in Westeros and the currently competing competitors are down to one. This would mean the movie trilogy (filmed back to back, alla Hobbit) would be Dany+Surviving King+WW in the final battle for Westeros. A film works best when there are a minimal of players.

52. sandbun
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Johnny Camp: I dont like that she knows the “endpoint” of only Bran’s story line….why would she know only his?

My guess would be that she suggested cutting some of Bran’s story, so Martin had to explain why whatever it was was important and couldn’t be cut.

53. spacechampion
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

Mad Hatter:

I was thinking the same thing but she says “endpoint” not end so that could indicate a location where he ends up (book readers know) rather than death.It would seem Bran had already reached his “endpoint.”Poor Bran.Well, poor everyone in this crazy game of thrones.

George has said years ago he knows how the series will end and knows which character will get the final point of view. Many have speculated this will be Bran. So that is probably why his editor knows Bran’s story endpoint.

54. Easteros bunny
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

All this prediction pisses me off “I predict, 2016, no no! It will be 2017″

The only thing you can predict in life is a fart!

One of my mates recently passed away, we always talked about these books he kept asking me when the next one would be out, he had cancer and his time was limited. He knew he would never find out how it ends.

We won’t be getting winds this year because of the history book.

55. IvanGroznyIV
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan,

There’s no way he finishes the entire series before the show finishes, but I still hold out hope we’ll get Winds of Winter before the series reaches the storylines from that book.

Even that hope is getting dimmer as time rolls by, however.

56. Ser Pounce
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Most of you readers don’t understand that publishers will not release two books so close to each other. They won’t release the winds of winter anytime this year or the beginning of next year because of the world of ice and fire. The money they put in to get hundreds and thousands of books to be printed and paying the artists for their work just to lose more money than gain because most fans will buy the Winds of Winter instead. It’s called business and the guy with the suit and tie doesn’t like losing money.

57. Lady Forlorn
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Toble:
    The portion of this article that appears on the main page before the jump confirms that Tyrion is still alive and a POV character in Winds of Winter.Given that his fate is very much up in the air for unsullied viewers at this point of the show, may want to put that small amount of information behind the jump.Especially after the fight coming on Sunday, I’m guessing many unsullied will be very nervous about Tyrion surviving past this season.

I imagine many viewers are worried about Tyrion’s fate. In fact I met a girl at my friend’s engagement party and were discussing GoT and she admitted to me that she was so worried about Tyrion dying that she googled Tyrion’s story line to find out if his champion dies which would mean he dies. I was like wow you COMPLETELY ruined the story for yourself. She admitted that she did ruin it and wished she hadn’t.

58. Rickard Greyjoy
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Anyone else think Dany and her dragons are gonna end up torching the Weirwood Tree Bran and the Reeds are under? The scene in the Craster’s Keep episode where Jojen is commenting on their deaths and one of the characters ask how they’ll now when the end is near and Jojen views is hand on fire and says “we’ll know” I thought foreshadowed that a bit.

59. King Stannis
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I’m predicting TWOW early 2015. Once that book is out of the way I’m sure GRRM will knock book #7 way faster since he has been knowing all these years where the end path will be and that should be the easiest for him to write.

60. Carol Lang
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I truly hope the books are out before the show ends.(fingers and toes crossed) I really don’t want the ending to be ruined or distorted by the how the show ends. Those of us who have patiently waited all these years for these books should be allowed to finish them with a degree of satisfaction. (without the show spoiling the books) Books are how this story was born, and the books are how it should conclude.

61. Patchy Face
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

I still believe that GRRM is writing B 6&7 simultaneously though they will not be released that way. I think he is finishing complete POVs to the end in some cases…

62. Shmurb
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Easteros bunny,

But what if the fact is a shart? How could you ever predict that? I think your thesis needs work my good sir and or madam.

63. Carol Lang
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Any time book 6 is released, it will sell. The History book would just make an awesome addition for us collectors, and would in no way hinder the sales of the series. To many people want it, and all involved will make $$$$. We are all addicted now…. they got us!

64. professor farnsworth
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Johnny Camp:

65. jentario
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Technically, GRRM still has a chance. If he worked every day (or nearly every day) and worked on tour, he could get it done. He’ll have two years to finish the last book, but he can get it done. Also, there’s the legitimate possibility of GOT going all Breaking Bad and splitting and extending season 7. HBO has done that before, and honestly the only reason not to go beyond 7 seasons is contract renegotiations… So if this is true, GRRM would have three years.

That said, the man is slow and probably won’t put enough effort in until it’s too late to try. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt, but there’s nothing to be hopeful for just yet. He should have finished TWOW this year.

66. Tatters
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Reasonably soon?
    Hopes that mean we are getting it before the complete all seasons Game of Thrones box set.

67. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

You’re taking the seven seasons announcement too literally, thinking there might be a film franchise after that. Think about the reason why they want to just do seven seasons. The showrunner job is exhausting for all involved, including D&D. The actors want to go on and do other things. All probably have creative worries about stretching the story past seven seasons. So suggesting that they are likely to stick to seven seasons instead of eight BUT maybe they’ll do a trilogy of three hour movies kind of misses the point of that announcement.

Not only is it not likely, but it probably wouldn’t make for a good series of movies. Let’s pretend that there are eight major storylines in the last book, which is actually probably a pretty conservative number. That’s an average of 20 minutes per storyline for each movie. That means roughly twenty minutes for a storyline to have a beginning, middle and end that is compelling. And yes, there has to be a sense of conclusion for each storyline featured in the movie for it to feel like a complete movie. I doubt the book will have enough events scattered about so that a three movie deal would be a good structure for an adaptation. Look at the obstacles D&D had with breaking up the most eventful book of the series into two seasons. Imagine splitting the third book into three parts, and each part only has three hours to tell a compelling storyline. Sorry, but the not-likely-fantasy scenario itself sounds like it would be pretty bad.

68. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

jentario,

Contract negotiations aren’t the only reason why seven seasons is the goal. D&D don’t want to do this exhausting job for more than seven years, young actors will get too old for their roles, and actors generally will want to move on to other projects. And they are also probably more concerned with keeping the show satisfying and giving it the ending it deserves rather than stretching things out too long.

69. Sean C.
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

He hasn’t even ordered the pizzas yet!

70. Summer
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen:
    jentario,

Assumptions…

71. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

professor farnsworth: Maybe GRRM pulled a Tyrion and told different people different things (or parts of different things) so he’d know who blabbed if anything got out?

I wonder who will assume the role of Pycelle? :)

72. somuchforoldtown
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Agreed. GRRM may never finish it. I suspect that he is burned out but doesn’t want to let down his fans. I met the guy years ago, before the HBO thing got started, and I really liked him. He’s a brilliant author and a really nice person. I don’t mean any ill will toward GRRM or his fans with this post, but I think that it’s time to consider all the possibilities here, including the chance that the last books never get penned. Let’s hope that GRRM can lend his gravitas to crafting as much dialogue in future episodes as possible.

Macharius:

Macharius,

73. wizardeyes
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I’m hoping for a 2015 release for Winds.

As for the book itself I think its going to be great. Things had got really interesting by the end of Dance with Dragons and I think shit is gonna blow up in TWOW. I think its going to be like Storm of Swords in that sense. There are so many things I can’t wait to read about.

The battle for Winterfell. STANNIS!
    The battle for Meereen. BARRISTAN!
    What the hell is going to happen to Jon Snow?
    What the hell is going to happen to Jaime?
    Is Tyrion going to meet Dany?
    Is Arianne going to marry Aegon?
    What’s going to happen with Cersei’s trial?
    What’s going to happen with Margaery’s trial?
    Is Davos going to find Rickon?

74. KG
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

“He was not wrong.” and all its variations.

Turncloak:
    Geez 14 “words are wind” in ADWD.

Let’s play a game of overused sayings in ASOIAF
    I’ll go first:

“If I look back I am lost”

75. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

So many cliffhangers!!!!

Is Bran going to take root or take off with Hodor/CH?
    Is Vic going to blow his horn before Sam blows his horn?
    Will Arya ever leave Braavos?
    Will Euron show his true colors when he invades Oldtown?
    Will Stannis & Manderly retake Winterfell and cook some more pie?

76. Roger König
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Geez 14 “words are wind” in ADWD.

Let’s play a game of overused sayings in ASOIAF
    I’ll go first:

“If I look back I am lost”

Wherever whores go!

77. Leo
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

wizardeyes,

I love Margaery, but off with her head! We are due for a curveball here.

78. Boojam
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Seems Dave and Dan had a copy of the ‘MERCY’ chapter from WoW before writing season 4 …, now I am guessing they have seen the 168 pages , or it may be more now that Anne Groell has?

79. Ashara D
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

I’m still sticking to the prediction that WoW will be done by early 2015. Advanced copies can be given to D&D for script writing. And GRRM’s organic, pov writing style means that much of DoS will be at least begun by then. It can happen, people! Keep the faith!

80. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Summer,

D&D have talked about how exhausting the job is for them and described it as a reason why they don’t want to go longer than seven years. They also mentioned the age of the young actors as being a concern for going longer than seven seasons as well.

That the other actors would want to eventually move on to other projects is a guess, I suppose, but a pretty safe one I would think. And any high-quality show, especially one like Game of Thrones, has to be concerned about giving the show a sense of finality before getting cancelled. Shows continuing past their natural due date has happened too frequently for it not to be a concern, and too many shows have negotiated a finalized date for that not to be something they’re thinking about.

81. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Boojam,

Did you interpret the “168 pgs” as pages in addition to the pages/chapters they cut from ADwD or just 168 pgs total?

Ashara D,

Ever the hopeless optimist, I share your faith!

82. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Hoping so much for a Feb-March 2015 release date. I do at least want to watch TWOW before they dip into its material which I think will happen at the end of next season.

83. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Geez 14 “words are wind” in ADWD.

Let’s play a game of overused sayings in ASOIAF
    I’ll go first:

“If I look back I am lost”

KG:
    “He was not wrong.”and all its variations.

Many and More,
    Half a hundred.
    And for Arya, As (something) as a (something_else).

84. Isabelle
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Great, very candid interview! Loved it! She seems refreshingly down-to-earth. Here’s another one of her responses:

Hi Anne! What is it like reading books by Terry Brooks, George R. R. Martin, Robin Hobb, and Scott Lynch LONG BEFORE anyone else will?

Answer from: Anne G.
    The most amazing thing in the universe, of course!!! How could it be anything else? It is, hands down, the best part of a truly amazing job! (And I love that feeling when I am so caught up in the book that I almost forget I am editing it, and then something is not working quite right, and I am bummed….before I remember that, as the editor, I CAN FIX IT! Yay!)

: )

85. ser McPato
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

am i the only one who thinks that ser Martin has a plan to blow eveyone’s heads fucking away? i have a feeling he has it all worked out and he’s just messing with fans because, well, that seems to be his favourite sport.
    maybe he has already finished tWoW and will relase it together with aDoS when he finishes it. i mean…that would be cool

86. The Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

The fact that this story started as a trilogy and is now up to 7 books and potentially more shows that the story has gotten away from GRRM. It is also probably the reason why it is taking him longer and longer from book to book. He just let the story get out of control and I don’t know if he can reign it in. Based on the last 5 books, I am positive that he knows how he wants to end it. I just don’t think he can figure out a way to get from where he currently is to the end.

Thank god for the show. I don’t think he will finish the books before he dies.

87. The Bastard
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

ser McPato:

2% chance this happens.

Which means there is a 98% chance he is just a slow writer.

Not good odds.

88. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Leo:
    wizardeyes,

I love Margaery, but off with her head! We are due for a curveball here.

Yep. I definitely can see this happening. After her walk of “penance” Cersei orchestrates Marg’s date with the headsman, courtesy of the high sparrow. House Tyrell/Highgarden go nuclear. They turn off the food supply to King’s Landing and sabotage existing stocks of food in the Capitol. Riots ensue. Meanwhile, since it was the Faith that cost Margaery her neck, Tyrell also wigs out on the Faith, renouncing it outright, maybe even aligning themselves with R’hllor or the Old Gods (which might be convenient in light of what’s coming). And we might just very well find a quite unburnt Loras coming back into the picture too.

I’d hoped that Loras would have been Margaery’s younger brother–a.k.a. valonquar–who would fulfill a certain prophecy to avenge his sister, but alas, he’s older than Marge, so there goes that theory.

Still, I think Margaery’s execution will be the event to set the wheels in motion that will see the end of House Lannister and the resultant destruction of the Red Keep that we’ve already seen twice in the show.

89. Jake
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

I love this. She sounds really excited for TWoW (which is awesome; I fully expect it to be outstanding), and it sounds like she is doing everything she can to get GRRM to crank out the books before the show takes over.

In Anne We Trust.

90. ser McPato
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

The Bastard,

jaja yeah….i supposed so..

91. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

The Bastard: 2% chance this happens. Which means there is a 98% chance he is just a slow writer. Not good odds.

What if George is really just f@#$ing with us, and instead of the World of Ice and Fire this fall we get TWoW instead? Then ADoS in three years, in time for the S7 premiere, and finally TWoIAF, a.k.a. the GRRMarillion, a year or two afterwards to tie everything up nicely.

Whatever happens, my fervent hope is that George does this on his terms, in a way that makes him happy first and foremost. And to the seven hells with the millions of so-called fans who wouldn’t have known him from Adam at a convention five or ten years ago.

92. Mario Mjoed
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

ser McPato,

yes, you are :/

93. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

If we play game theory with ‘A’ being George and ‘B’ being D&D.

……………………B
    …………….C……………D
    …………………………………..
    …… C…. -4,-4……/…..-6,-10
    A………………………………..
    …… D… -10,-3…../……-3,-3
    …………………………………..

C,C= GRRM finished by 2018, D&D go 8 seasons (win/win)
    C,D= GRRM by 2020, D&D acquiesce (George’s preference)
    D,C= GRRM by whenever, D&D go 7 seasons (probable)
    D,D= GRRM by 2017 (unlikely)

94. The Spider
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Well if he doesnt release in early 2015 the show will overtake him in Bran and maybe Sansa’s story that would be bad

95. Ginevra
    Posted May 29, 2014 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce:

Each of the first four Harry Potter books were released within a year of each other because the publishers pressured the author to sticking to that strict timeframe. The US released the second and the third books within 100 days of each other.

96. MRR
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy,

That interview says that it will “probably” be 7 seasons, and that 7 seasons “sounds about right”. That’s much less “loud and clear” than you present it to be. It’s still up in the air, and things can change, even if 7 is what they’re tentatively thinking of.

97. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

My ideal date would be : january->april 2015. Just before the 5th season. Liam Cunningham told the media in an interview George was half-way done in march 2013, and the guy who lends his voice to the audio book said he was almost done in fall 2013.

In my opinion, George is at more or less 3/4 of TWOW. He is trying not to let the show overtake the books. If he releases TWOW in debut 2015, it would have taken him 4 years for a 1500 manuscrit pages book, not bad. At his slowest, George took 6 years to write ADWD.

You may disagree, that’s fine by me, but I do believe TWOW is not too far away. I am patient enough knowing what orgasmic books are being written.

Yes, you can count me in those who loved ADWD. 2nd favorite overall.

98. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:31 am | Permalink

OT but interesting casting deletion over on IMDB…The Reeds and Octavia Alexandru have been removed from episode 10 along with the actor playing the 3 eyed raven, this seems to indicate the CoF pushed back to early season five? Just like Lysa/Robyn scene was pushed from three to four. Octavia also removed GoT from her IMDB page for 2014.
    Furthermore Nat Tena has been added to episode 10, but no Rickon, what gives there, unless Osha shows up somewhere and says he has been captured.

99. Kevin
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:35 am | Permalink

I decided to just delete the rant I typed and pretend I never saw this story. You are welcome.

100. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Kevin,

What rant, come on Kevin rant away, speak your mind, let it be.

101. Kevin
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:48 am | Permalink

I’ll give you the short version. How does GRRM expect his editor to do her job if he hides where the story is going from her? Answer: He doesn’t. He doesn’t respect her and doesn’t trust her. I absolve her of blame for AFFC/ADWD.

102. zod
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:56 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

IMDb is user-generated. These informations aren’t reliable. At all.

103. Raventree Hall
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:58 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg:

That’s weird. The episode is called “The Children”, and Bran’s storyline desperately needs pay-off.

104. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:00 am | Permalink

With all due respect, I think many here simply do not know what goes into the editorial process, from manuscript to bookshop. TWoW will not be handled like any B-list novel. This will come crashing through production as soon as it’s done; it will have several editors go over individual pieces and then Ann or her team will thread it all together. This won’t be trivial, especially if heavy edits are demanded by production.

Then the production fun begins, schedules will have to be set, bound gallies made up, marked up, flowed, reflowed, promotions arranged, press time booked, shipping, yadda yadda yadda. This won’t be a question of “manuscript finished on October 1st, books in the shop for Christmas,” but neither will it be a one year process. I’m guessing if George transmits the final bits on Oct. 1st we’d see it by next Spring or early summer, unless Bantam simply drops everything and goes insane on this one project.

–from my wife, who works in managing editorial at a competing publisher, and who’s seen this exact thing go down with their own A-list authors over the years.

p.s.: earlier this year there were rumblings about something very very major being released in the fourth quarter (Oct-Dec.) timeframe of 2014, on the fiction side. No other details given, but…just putting it out there. If not TWoW then something else that’s probably well worth reading!

105. Flora Linden
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:02 am | Permalink

I don’t envy Anne Groell.

My own prediction – TWOW will be published summer 2016. Readers can then compare recently aired Season 6 with the book. As for ADOS, who knows when that will come out. The TV series is finishing its own version of the story long before Martin’s conclusion.

I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a Book 8.

Since there’s a TV show, I’m pretty zen about the book situation. If it happens, great. If it doesn’t, well, that’s life.

106. zod
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:03 am | Permalink

GeekFurious: You can even do a prologue sequence that catches non-book readers and non-show viewers up.

A prologue sequence to summarize 70 hours worth of material?

107. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:03 am | Permalink

zod,

I realize that, but Octavia and the Reeds were listed a few weeks ago for episode 10, why would someone delete them? and Why would someone add Tena?

108. zod
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:10 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Why would someone from the production care about changing that information on IMDb indeed?

Gerard Butler was listed as Stannis back in season 1. Some people were actually looking forward to his first appearance in the finale.

Also, Tyrion has been added to the cast for EP9. Is he going to teleport at the Wall?

109. Ours is the Fury
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:24 am | Permalink

We also have a second COTF apparently, credited for an Alex Graves episode. I tweeted this earlier- Alice Hewkin is credited as a COTF on her updated CV- http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/cv.asp?ref=F122162&pub=1

With episode 10 being called The Children, we’ve got to be seeing the COTF. Anyone can update IMDB. I do it sometimes, even.

110. Greenjones
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

So that’s who she’s playing! Her CV says she’s five foot one, so I guess that’s around how tall they’ll be.

111. Eric Niewohner
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:11 am | Permalink

I love this series and started reading them back in 1997 when it all started and what is interesting is that there were only two years in between the release of Clash of Kings and then Storm of Swords, arguably the two best books in the series than four years for AFFC and seven years for DOD. There is no argument that book three is the the best book of the series followed closely by GOT and CLOK. There is a definite drop off in quality for books four and five as if the series is collapsing under the weight of so many story lines and then he goes and adds more characters in book five, what?! It seems the more time he takes the quality of the book actually suffers instead of getting better. Now maybe he takes the mantle back in book WOW and I really hope he does, but it seems his writing is becoming a victim of his success.

If you follow his not a blog the guy is on the road all the time and since he will only write at home this certainly poses a problem for getting these books done in a more timely fashion. I certainly want GRRM to be able to write the books well, but seven years for a book is patently ridiculous.

There is no way he gets book seven even close to done before the seventh season comes out. He will be at three years in July and really the earliest this book will come out is summer of 2015 or four years since DOD was published. By that time season five of the show will have wrapped and if they are serious about sticking to seven seasons than book six will have to be season six and so forth. There is no way he pumps book seven out before season seven starts filming in the winter of 2016. Even if he somehow managed to get back to his two year schedule the seventh book would come out in the summer of 2017 after season 7 has wrapped. In that situation I guess GRRM could show D&D his progress in books seven and give them some more general ideas but they will not be working from a completed book seven there is no way that is happening and anybody who thinks that will happen is completely out of touch with reality.

112. Johannes Genard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:23 am | Permalink

Dave,

which is funny seeing as she’s the editor

113. Job the Poor
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:36 am | Permalink

There is no way the books will finish before the TV serie does. The end will probably differ from each other. But the TV will not wait for the books to end. Grrr

114. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver,
    Thx for that reminder of the publishing process. I’d love to see a documentary of how TWoW comes together. Also, note that the e-book side will have its own schedule and challenges to overcome.

Your “p.s.” seems to pertain to TWoI&F (The World of Ice & Fire) coming out in Oct, 2014. You knew that, right? There is also another ASoI&F short story coming out on June 17 in the “Rogues” anthology.

115. Alwyn Joseph
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:47 am | Permalink

It finally makes sense why ADWD was such a mess, why even bother having an editor if you don’t send her any work for over a year.

116. bristol
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Jake: “In fact, when I first read the partial back in 2013, I immediately wrote George an impassioned plea to please not let the show get out ahead of him.”
    In Anne We Trust.

Haha, that was my question :) Anyways, don’t trust her too much- she’d said that ADWD was absolutely stunning and one of the best of the series before it was released.

117. The Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:20 am | Permalink

At least the show will be able to reign in the story and finish strong. Something the books probably won’t do.

I believe GRRM’s decision to make the books individualized point of view chapters was great to start the series and completely screwed him for ending the series.

118. Adam
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:01 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Why would anyone put dubious information on the internet? That never happens ;)

119. Unbowed Unbent UnHodor
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:10 am | Permalink

is the 8th kingdom the riverlands?

120. Annara Snow
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 5:54 am | Permalink

Unbowed Unbent UnHodor:
    is the 8th kingdom the riverlands?

Yes, it was seven kingdoms when Aegon and his sisters were conquering Westeros – because the Ironborn had conquered the Riverlands before. And then they separated the Riverlands, again…. which made them one of the seven kingdoms that were actually a part of Aegon’s kingdom, since Dorne was not.

So, there are really eight kingdoms… but nine administrative regions (the Crownlands are the ninth).

121. Annara Snow
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:01 am | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen:
    jentario,

I really, really doubt that. They hit the jackpot with Game of Thrones and they will be looking to get rid of it? Nah, I don’t believe it.

As for young actors getting too old for their roles… Not really; unless time within the story keeps moving at snail pace, their characters will be growing up with them, and they are just a couple of years older than their characters. And anyway, many of the adult actors on the show were always too old for their characters to begin with, and nobody seems to care about that. If people are willing to believe that Richard Madden was 17-18 or that Pedro Pascal is over a decade older than Peter Dinklage, I don’t see why they wouldn’t be willing to believe that Isaac Hempstead-Wright is 15 in three years when he’s 17. If anything, the suspension of disbelief was most tested before, when Sophie was playing a girl who’s just gotten her first period, or maybe now, when the show is being really vague about Tommen’s age (I guess we have to forget Loras’ season 1 remark that Tommen was 8).

122. wizardeyes
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:26 am | Permalink

Ser Osis of Liver,

Thats an interesting idea but I don’t see how the Tyrells would let this happen. With Mace and Randyl Tarly’s armies in the capital and now with Kevan dead the Tyrells are the big power in KL. I think they’ll go through with Margaery’s trial out of respect for the faith and not wanting to cause an upset with them which might turn pious people against them. If the Faith judge Marg guilty and want to execute her I don’t see how that could happen with the thousands of Tyrell forces in the city unless they do it secretly. Either way if they do take her head or at least want to take her head its going to cause a huge upset between the tyrells and the faith.

Man Kings Landing is going to be crazy in TWoW. Two trials, the Faith using their new power, Nymeria Sand and Tyene Sand will be arriving and before long Aegon…

123. Lyn
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

We thought the Waif would be the first character played by an east asian actress but we were wrong :) Yay for Alice Hewkin being the first east asian actress in Game of Thrones!

124. HouseLark
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Where on earth are people getting the idea that the adaptation will finish with a movie trilogy? Why would they do that? You do realise that as a movie, it would be pretty unsuccessful? Game of Thrones is popular for a cable TV show it isn’t on the same level as any of the films that turn serious coin, Marvel films for instance. On top of that, who will go see it? A film (or trilogy) would be the conclusion of a 7 season TV series, uninitiated viewers would be lost so your market is pretty much only the people who have watched the show. It’s not like LOTR which was a self-contained story in three films. In my view, any GoT film would be fortunate to just make back its money.

Accept it, the series will finish after 7 seasons, it will finish before the books. Make your peace with that and move on or stop watching. Any argument to the country stands against all logic based on past experience.

125. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:23 am | Permalink

So this is the woman responsible for moving the 2 battles into the 6th book and thus removing any sort of conclusion or sense of finish and ending to the 5th book ?

GREAT JOB ! :-/

126. Turncloak
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

She explains why the battles were moved. George would still be writing ADWD if she left them in. Apparently they were not finished

127. Ludo
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:42 am | Permalink

You all really are ungrateful. I find the majority of the comments here completely disgusting.

It’s not because you didn’t understand AFFC and ADWD that it’s the case for everybody. I think she knows her work better than you, that she has read thousands of books in her life and is honest when she says that ADWD is one of the best books of the series.

But yeah, I know, you want dragons, battles, epicness, blablabla.

Ungrateful, that’s all you are.

It’s funny how you are all complaining that TWOW will be late and GRRM writes slowly, and at the same time say that you don’t care because it will be a big shit like AFFC/ADWD. You are funny. Funny and sad.

128. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

MRR,

They are talking about 7 seasons, 8 is a “maybe”. Split season is a “maybe” too. Movies, prequel seasons, shelving the shot material in order to wait for GRRM, hiatuses are delusions.

129. Summer
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Ludo:

But yeah, I know, you want dragons, battles, epicness, blablabla.

Ungrateful, that’s all you are.

GRRM is just a big a-hole with a huge ego. He doesn’t care for the story anymore, nor does he care for his fans and his editor. He refuses to send his editor material and ignores every question about WoW in an angry fashion. Meanwhile on his notablog he only posts about his cinema and other projects like roadtrips, football and books like rogues and wild cards. This shows he doesn’t care about those books.

It’s his life, but it does make him a dick in many peoples eyes, including mine.

130. Ramsay Slow
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Whoa whoa whoa…Maybe evryone else knew this and I’m just late to the game– GRRM doesnt do any writing on the road????? This has to be a joke, right? I know he writes on an ms dos system at home, but seriously??? For the amount of traveling this guy does to this con and that con, tv appearances, hbo/thrones related events, etc– and the various monkeys on his back he is always complaining about– he doesnt write outside of home??? I get that writers/artists have their methods, but im sorry, thats absolutely absurd. Ive never been one to bitch about George watching football on Sunday and act as if he should be an automaton writing 24/7 with no sleep and no life…But god damn, id expect him to not let precious time go down the drain by sleeping on long plane rides or watching the price is right in a hotel room at night — at least some of the time. Maybe everyone else knew this, and maybe I’m reading too much into it or overreacting, but jeeze this is scary, and explains a lot as far as his slow writing pace goes…

131. Tatters
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Summer,

I would do the same.

132. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Ramsay Slow,

Hopefully, at the very least, he brings an old-school notepad and a pen and not an etch-a-sketch when he embarks on his travels.

133. Ser Matt the Sullen
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:30 am | Permalink

“You hear that, children? That’s the sound of the TV show over-taking the Books on the highway called life. Don’t cry. Everything will be alright. Just don’t watch the TV show after it moves past the books…”

134. Ginevra
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:31 am | Permalink

The Bastard:

Surely that is why Bran is being setup as an almost omnipotent character with his Weirwood network.

135. Sam
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:44 am | Permalink

Ramsay Slow:

I dunno, this made sense to me. Sometimes, there are certain places in which you get into a certain mood. If you tried to force yourself into that mood in other places, it wouldn’t work; the influences of the different surroundings would interfere too much.

Yes, these books are business, but primarily they are art, and art is determined by weird things like “I only write at home.” That’s just how it is, there’s no use complaining about it.

136. Ser Osis of Liver
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

wizardeyes:
    Ser Osis of Liver,

Well they’ve gotta remove Margaery from the plot somehow, since it really appears as if KL is going to become a ruin. Cersei’s undoing has been foretold but Marg, as a Queen, is still in the game so long as Tommen draws breath. After both Tommen and Myrcella are gone and the valonquar offs Cersei then something’s going to have to take Marg out of the picture too.

I’d forgotten about Randyll Tarly, too. Yes, if Marg winds up short a head Tarly will reign down all seven hells on the Lannisters, that’s for sure. However it plays out, I can’t see her surviving the conflict once Tommen has left the building…and if she does go, it has to have severe repercussions to the overall story to keep chaos flowing.

137. Ludo
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Such stupid comments. Of course GRRM needs to be at home to write properly. His history books are there, all his documentations about the series are there. Do you truly think you can write a book like that in a plane ? If so, then you really don’t know what you are talking about.

138. Canis Dirus
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Summer,

Sigh… really? REALLY?! He has multiple projects and always has. I am not an author, but my guess is he writes what is coming to him, and that isn’t always the most popular thing. I have multiple projects going on at work right now (of course, I am neglecting them all right now haha)but my point is that I put things down and pick things up regularly before completing them because sometimes my brain needs a break from the same ol.

I love this site and reading everyone’s comments is probably my favorite part, but whenever it is a GRRM related topic it seems like all the idiots show to get their 2 cents in.

Not most of you guys. Most of you are awesome.

139. Doug
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I am no knight:

Yes, I am excited to see it. Problem is most of us will probably be dead by the time it’s published…so…

140. Emperor Cronos
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

It’s obvious now that the show is going to pass the books and finish first. I think it’ll happen next season and then we’ll get at least two seasons of completely new material because I doubt Winds is coming out before the show concludes in season 7, and it wont be released before the show covers the material.

141. fuelpagan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Ramsay Slow,

That is what is so frustrating about GRRM. Back when ADwD was released I thought for sure his pace would speed up now that he was on the downhill side of the story. I imagine the middle story of a book series is pretty challenging for writers. They have to set up the foreshadowing, without revealing too much. Make the characters go in the direction the story needs them to go and make sense within each characters motivation. And still try to have a book that doesn’t feel like it is simply setting the board for the rest of the story. Yet 3 years later all we have concrete is 168 pages and word about another chapter he hasn’t turned in yet.

It took years for him to recognize the concerns many fans expressed that he was taking on too many side projects. A distraction or two can help recharge the passion for the main project, but too many will rob your time away. He finally put a limit on those.

When I heard Dan Weiss talk about how the show has made him manage his time better, how he realized he could spend time waiting for a plane working instead of checking email, I finally understood my problem with GRRM. DW recognized his time problem and adapted, GRRM is too stubborn to first recognize the problem, and is too stubborn to adapt to correct the problem.

We aren’t asking him to spend every waking moment writing the next book, but if he demands writing ASoIaF at home on his old machine, spend your time while at home working on the book. Put an emulator on a laptop to run Wordstar and work on side projects while travelling. Allow himself to maximize his time in his comfort zone working on the big project. Adopt a new email service that will allow him to check email on the road instead of him having to spend 2 weeks catching up after a trip. (Which he has expressed as a problem in the past). Something.

My point is there are compromises that he could make to manage his time better, but he refuses to recognize he has a time management problem. I don’t care that he is a slow writer. I don’t care about him taking trips. I don’t care if he takes weekends off like the rest of us. I don’t care about him having a couple of side projects. All of this was never what bothered me. It’s the appearance of how much time he just wastes and his unwillingness to compromise to try and fix it.

It’s not that hard to learn a new email program. He can afford to have an expert set up a laptop with a Emulator to run Wordstar. Heck, he can configure a newer word processor with all the features that annoy him disabled. You can disable auto correct if the auto capitalization bothers him. In fact, a good time to learn these new tools would be…on the road when he isn’t working anyway.

I guess I’m just tired of his excuses. I look forward to the end of the story with the show, and when the books finally hit the stores I’ll buy them. But I’ve given up on GRRM caring about his fans. I just wish he would realize we aren’t asking him to work harder, just work smarter.

142. Strider
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Ashara D:

Never lost it! NEVAH!!!!! :) It’s coming and I can’t wait.

Took some guts to type the fact the battles were not finished or at least not in a final format. Also, I think she was joking there with STILL. Some people took that way to serious in my opinion.

143. Strider
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,
    Well.. that implied acknowledgement that ADwD was rushed to publishing and Martin’s holding back on chapters sure must have made your day, Mr. Sprite!

On another note: if keep getting yourself banned or marked as spam on wic.net, how shall I ever convice you that Martin will knock your socks off with TWoW?! Don’t answer that. Hah! Wait.. you can’t!

Maybe site’s spam filter needs checking.

144. Fireeast
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Everyone forgets that the last terrible episodes that have to relation to the books are most likely put in so they don’t catch up as fast.

145. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Lyn,

I second that, congrats to Alice Hewkin’s for being cast in Game of Thrones.
    She will more than likely be the leader of children.

146. Severance23
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I can’t believe that there are still people who are convinced that George will be releasing TWoW next year or, worst case scenario, early 2016. Anne Gruel had just told us that she has just 168 pages out of an estimated 1500, does anyone really think George has another 700 on his floppies but hasn’t sent them to Anne because he wants to add a few more leals, serjeants, ‘words are wind’ and turtles? You might say that George has now gotten rid of all of his other monkeys, but what extra one has he added since last year – The Cocteau. Judging by the amount of NAB posts dedicated to the place, I’d wager that he’s spent more time down there in the last year than he has sat at his Wordstar at home. This book is so far from being completed that it’s laughable that so many people still trust the guy to deliver.

147. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

GRRM’s tryin to make the eight! Haters are gonna have a field day with this speculation for years!

148. JohnnySD
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I think as fans of the ASOIAF world we need to realize there is a good chance we never see the end of the series in any form. Season 7 of GOT is far from guaranteed and HBO has stopped series before a proper ending several times before. And with likely 15 years for the completion of the books, they may have the same fate as WOT, though I truly truly hope not. GRRM is a very nice man, but I think he likes the celebrity and he clearly writes on his own time, and the added pressure of success and now the TV show really hinders him. ADWD had no real ending. Not sure why they wouldn’t consider publishing 1/3 to half of the books arcs as ready. Not sure fans would object and they would make more money

149. Hodorkovsky
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

It’d be a very interesting thing to see.

I’m sure they will publish it, when GRRM Martin dies, along with whatever he has written of the Dream of Spring at the time…

150. fuelpagan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

JohnnySD,

It appears HBO has learned from its mistakes with Rome and Deadwood. I quit watching True Blood after season 3 and it still was allowed to complete 7 seasons. With as popular as the show is worldwide, HBO is going to make money completing the show in 7 or 8 seasons.

Anyway, if HBO did decide to end it early, they have a track record of offering options to the show runners to try and close out the story, but I don’t see that actually being needed. If Rome or Deadwood were given the opportunity to build the draw power GoT has, they would not have been cancelled. And we are past that point with this show.

151. Cumsprite
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Strider,

If someone had asked Groell how old The Girl General’s soldiers were I woulda thought I’d died and gone to heaven.

152. Tatters
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Fireeast,

The show is better than ever

153. Ramsay Slow
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Ludo,

I get that his work is art and that its ridiculously profound in its detail. But youre saying that with millions of fans, a show to keep up with, and a publisher twiddling its thumbs for years, he cant compromise a bit? He cant get Elio or Linda to put some of that historical data and asoiaf info on a laptop for him and compartmentalize it some how? Again, I get that writers and artists have their methods, and im certainly not trying to bash george for no reason. I just think its ridiculous that he cant get anything done on the road since he travels so much.

154. Tatters
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan,

Last time i heard, 400 pages is the number.

155. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

HouseLark: Where on earth are people getting the idea that the adaptation will finish with a movie trilogy?

This was an idea put forth by GRRM in one of his many desperate attempts to convince himself that the show won’t overtake the books. I agree that it seems very unlikely that they would finish the show as a series of movies, but that’s where the idea comes from.

In fairness HBO has done this before with Sex and the City and Entourage, so it’s not completely crazy for some people to buy into the idea. Of course this would have to have a way bigger budget than any of those movies, and it would be difficult for an R-rated film to make that kind of money back…

156. Eric Niewohner
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Ludo,

Disgusting is a pretty strong word and as people who have bought his books and pay for HBO to watch the series we are not ungrateful. Also if GRRM took care of business and actually spent more time writing and less time cavorting around the world it wouldn’t take him seven years to write one book and whether you want to hear it or not the vast majority of readers feel that book four and five were a disappointment in comparison to the first three books. I certainly want GRRM to have a great life and have fun he deserves it, but there comes a point when you began to wonder if he is milking this process out to make more money. When he started the series he said it would be a trilogy and he was quite critical of Robert Jordan for making his series so long than he turns around and says it will take four than seven books and now possibly eight, hmm that is hypocritical. A great example of his milking it is the new character he introduced in DWD who is a Targaryen bastard who is across the narrow sea just like Dany and then in half a book he is in the seven kingdoms. There was absolutely no need to introduce yet another character and the fact that he moved him across the narrow sea so quickly just highlights the fact that he cannot get Dany to the seven kingdoms after five books.

I have hope that he is able to pull things together in book six and end strong in books seven and I will be incredibly disappointed if he now wants to add an eighth book.

157. fuelpagan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

The article confirms only 168 turned in. Unless that number is close to 1000, I’m not going to get my hopes up. Besides, I’ve heard that 400 number floated around for over a year now.

158. Summer
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Canis Dirus:
    Summer,

Not most of you guys. Most of you are awesome.

Yes, really… My point was that he never talks about WoW. According to grrm, all of his projects are monkeys on his back and WoW is a giant ape “son of kong” which he needs to slay… He hates writing these days, especially WoW.

159. sandbun
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Severance23:

And that much was only delivered so he’d get paid

I waiver between believing that he’s lost interest now in favor of being a celebrity author or if he really has no idea how to tie all the plot points together and we’re headed for the worst, most jumbled ending this side of Lost. I hope Benioff and Weiss are ready and have been practicing their fan-fiction, because that’s what we’re getting for an ending. Maybe some of the big story lines will line up, but the ending is going to be on them.

160. Tatters
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan,

It was a 2012 interview. I dont see why Grrm would lie, and he has according to interviews set up speed. Even by now, he should be halfway trough.

161. fuelpagan
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Tatters,

I’d never accuse GRRM of being dishonest. But he is wishy washy. He thought he was almost done with Dance when he released Feast, and look how that one turned out. Those pages he didn’t turn in out of those 400 may have be rewritten a dozen times since then. If GRRM hasn’t turned them into the editor, then you can’t count them as complete.

I’m not looking for him to work harder, nor am I looking for him to work faster. I simply want him to work smarter.

162. asfastasican
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

A lot can be said about George and his lack of progress, but we should set all of that aside and all be kissing D&D’s backsides at this point. Without them, you all never would have gotten to see the ending to this saga.

163. matt v.
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Hmmm… from the interview we can probably tell that the next book will be out in 2016… so the question is: early or late in 2016. i believe late…

164. Vyrion
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

The over-riding optimism throughout this threads staggers me as always. * SARCASM*

165. House Mormont
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Hahahaha optimists

Did no one else read his recent interview where he said it didn’t matter if the show overtook the books because they’re different beasts and in 100 years people will remember his books, not the show

Man I love his mind but he’s incompetent , lazy and plain disrespectful to his fans, not to mention massively delusional in his interviews this year

166. cindy
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Hodor Targaryen,

I was also thinking of our growing actors as well. We can’t wait too many more years before they will look ridiculous playing their young characters.

167. Zack
    Posted May 30, 2014 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Turncloak:
    Geez 14 “words are wind” in ADWD.

Let’s play a game of overused sayings in ASOIAF
    I’ll go first:

“If I look back I am lost”

I used to get annoyed that the words ‘Sweet sister” were uttered not only by Viserys to Dany, but by Jaime and probably Tyrion to Cersei as well. It’s awkward and lazy. Characters need distinct voices and overusing the same language like that is really jarring.

168. Vic Sage
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 2:34 am | Permalink

It will be done when it’s done.

169. Vic Sage
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Zack,

It will be done when it’s done.

170. Shmofo
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 3:29 am | Permalink

Wow, she has 168 manuscript pages (that’s the approx amount of ADWD leftovers anyway), but don’t despair good people, she knows, that in these years, he has written another chapter. One has to laugh at all this, I did. I mean, I know he’ll never finish the series, but even in all my negative perception of GRRM’s professionalism, I really didn’t imagine that things reached such comedy.

You know what’s not funny. People predicting 2015 release. Or 2016 release. That’s not funny. That’s just sad. When you realize, in the following years, the obvious truth, just don’t blame it on him. THE TRUTH IS HERE TO BE SEEN. It’s your choice not to see it. He is not your bitch, he was never your bitch, you were his. He didn’t do it to you. You did it to yourself. Your fault, not his. Don’t be mad at him. Be mad at yourself, and your naivety.

Anyway, to end at a lighter note, when I and my friend talked about present political/social situation in our country and what future brings, that’s what he always said: “The only thing I can predict is… that in following 4 billion years not much will change in this part of the universe.”

171. bristol
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 4:06 am | Permalink

I don’t get the people who can actually defend his writing pace or saying that it is needed to make the best possible book. Taking more than three years and just have 168 pages that are confirmed to be completed (he probably does have some 800 still being worked upon, though) is just lazy. Even if you say he has done 900 pages, that is still not great. Brandon Sanderson, in less time than Martin, finished great works like Steelheart, The Alloy of Law, Words of Radiance (1000 page +), A Memory of Light (1000 page + book with immense pressure riding on him). Each one of those books were better than AFFC and ADWD. Steven Erikson, too, only took 1 year for each Malazan book. Not all writers have to be that fast, but those books are just as good and complex as GRRM’s, and, while 3 years is respectable, the 5 and 6 he took for AFFC and ADWD respectively isn’t

172. Vic Sage
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 4:08 am | Permalink

It will be ready when it’s ready.

173. GeekFurious
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 4:27 am | Permalink

He turned in 168 pages in February 2013 to receive payment. Not February 2014 as a representation of the totality of his work.

At this point, I just have to imagine drama queens on the Internet are all mentally unstable and that’s why they fly off the handle.

174. Veltigar
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:19 am | Permalink

GeekFurious:

And that’s probably without the body of work he already completed for ADWD. They already saw those chapters, so I doubt that they would pay twice for them. There was also a Tyrion chapter she had not seen before, released in the app.

Add to that that GRRM has been steadily writing one project ever since (She-wolves was postponed, anthologies and TWOIAF were finished and he’s done his Fire&Blood), without running into another Meereenese knot. I’d say GRRM has advanced quite strongly. 2015 is definetly still on the table.

Thorin Oakenshield: I will not die like this, clawing for life… If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together and cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron!

175. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:29 am | Permalink

GeekFurious:

Here, I can call people names too.

176. onrack
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

Of course he`ll run into another Meereenese knot. Knot is GRRM code for “I couldn`t be fucked to write”. I think we can expect a Wall knot, King`s Landing Knot, Winterfell Knot. Maybe even a Skagos knot if we`re lucky!

177. House Mormont
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 7:12 am | Permalink

onrack,

I think there will likely be a “fuck I don’t know how to kill 10 POVs realistically”

GRRM has said he knows the end for the main characters, but he doesn’t know how he’s gonna tie in all the lesser stories

He also said a few times he wants to get down to 7/8 POVs in ADOS

Thus…

178. Asha Karina
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Alex Greyjoy: If you think you’ll see TWOW before 2016 at the earliest, you are delusional. If you think GRRM will finish first, before the TV series, you are 1000 times more delusional and blind.

Here, I can call people names too.

THIS, if being realistic is a drama queen thing Geekfurious, then so be it…

179. Adam
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

His last submittion to his editor was February 2013.

FEBRUARY. OF LAST YEAR.

Anybody expecting this novel “reasonably soon” is going to be disappointed.

May I suggest you check out Attack on Titan while you wait? Great mangas, and the anime is wonderful too. Fairly similar to Game of Thrones, actually.

180. Strider
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Cumsprite:
    Strider,

LOL sure, you say that now, but we all know you’d be completely unsatisfied afterwards that she didn’t say if it was before or after the 5 yr gap…

Good to see you’ve beaten the spam filter once more! Balance restored to the site.

181. Udi
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

GeekFurious,

We can wish but I seriously doubt it. In any case I have no doubt the show will be over long before the seventh (possibly even the sixth) book is out. For better or worse, that is the most probable outcome.

182. Heyo!
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

This thread just proves the old saying “people see what they want to see”.

The article clearly states that the 160 odd pages that have been turned in were turned in in the beginning of 2013 as part of his contract. He had to turn in that many pages in order to get paid. Who know’s how many finished and unfinished pages he had at the time or has has now.

What we do know is that during ADWD he said he was struggling writing it and therefore was re-writing many chapters. He recently said that was not the case with TWOW.

While we can’t assume anything, it is safe to say he is closer to finishing it than he is the to 160 pages he turned in last year.

183. Quiddity
    Posted May 31, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Ser Pounce,

They’re not going to delay WOW solely for the WOIAF book. WOW will be the most anticipated book of the year. They will not care if releasing WOW will kill sales for WOIAF as the sales for WOW will probably be 10, if not 20 times as much as WOIAF. If WOW doesn’t come out for 6 months to a year after WOIAF, it is because it is not ready. Not due to them trying to prop of sales of WOIAF.

184. Kp
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 3:35 am | Permalink

Quiddity:
    Ser Pounce,

Nobody gives a rats ass about the compendium book.

185. Hodorkovski
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Heyo!:
    This thread just proves the old saying “people see what they want to see”.

Amen.

What we know for sure:

- Some chapters were moved from ADWD to TWOW.
    - He submitted 168 pages in 2013 to Anne Groell, which may or may not contain overlap with the said chapters.
    - The rest is speculation, however positive or negative your beliefs are.

186. John W
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

He was once asked a question pertaining to this in relation to Robert Jordan (Another big fantasy author who died before finishing his big fantasy epic, but graciously passed the reigns to someone else to finish it) and his response, was that no one else would finish his work for him and it would go with him to his grave if it was unfinished. So I’m happy to see that money talked in this situation and his contract made him give the story to someone else. Its one thing to be bitter about your fans being vocal about the wait for the material, its another to be a curmudgeonly old selfish prick about it. Thanks for that HBO!

187. T
    Posted June 1, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

I guess I’ll have to make do with not watching the series from season 5 onwards. It’s a shame, but I started reading the books in 2006 and I really want to read them first. I’ll just have to avoid spoilers…

188. loco73
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 2:29 am | Permalink

It’s amazing. In fact, when I first read the partial back in 2013, I immediately wrote George an impassioned plea to please not let the show get out ahead of him. I can’t predict what will happen from here, but I definitely want his version to be my first version. And I think a lot of you want that, too. His vision started this; I very much want his vision to end it, too…”

From her lips to George’s ears…amen! I should like it if Martin manages to stick to 7 novels…but whatever…

189. loco73
    Posted June 2, 2014 at 2:30 am | Permalink

…and boy do a lot of people talk out of their ass!!!!

190. Hodorkovsky
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 7:11 am | Permalink

I have to say, looking at GRRM’s account of the writing process for ADWD, 168 pages really does not sound promising.

October 2007: 472 pages sent
    March 2008: 596 pages delivered
    May 2008: 684 pages
    December 2008: 774
    September 2009: 998
    January 2010: 1028
    August 2010: 1332
    December 2010: 1412
    March 2011: “the final partial” of 1571 pages

Source:

Is it really certain, there should not be an additional 1 in front of the 168? :P

I was under the impression, he had a fair chance of finishing TWOW before the show catches up, but hardly any of ADOS being finished before 2017. It’s starting to look like we will be lucky to see even TWOW before 2017.

191. Brian
    Posted June 3, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

King Stannis,

We can always hope… but people said the same thing about book 6 going much faster, once he resolved the “Knot”.

192. jason
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Why do they even ask stupid questions like how TWoW is compared to the other books. Would she really say “it’s not that good” if that was the case? She can only give one answer.