Warning: Spoilers for Game of Thrones Season 6 Below:
A video surfaced today on Portuguese website GameofThrones BR depicting actress Tehmina Sunny (Children of Men, Argo) auditioning for the part of a Red Priestess of R’hllor for Game of Thrones Season 6. The video has since been taken down everywhere I’ve searched, but the site does have a transcript of it. Thankfully, I dusted off my handy dandy Google Translate, and voilà: we have a fairly accurate understanding of just who she is interacting with, and more importantly where she is.
The actress was reading a script for a character called Kinvara, a Red Priestess. Kinvara arrives in Meereen to offer her assistance to Tyrion and Varys. This fits the casting call we discussed a few weeks ago:
Priestess. Mid-20’s to early 30’s. Any ethnicity- she’s beautiful, intense, and magnetic.
The dialogue from this audition may not sync up perfectly, due to Google Translate not always picking up on the flow of a different language, but you will be able to get the main points.
Tyrion and Varys need the priestess’ help to maintain order in Meereen while Daenerys is away. Under their deal, the Lord of Light’s followers will persuade the people of Meereen that that Daenerys is their liberator and savior. Kinvara believes that Daenerys Stormborn is the One Who Was Promised, and that her dragons are fire made flesh, a gift from the Lord of Light. She says that dragons purify non-believers with their fire, and that Dany was sent to lead the people against the darkness, for this war and the Great War to come.
Varys mentions Stannis, who was identified as the One Who Was Promised according to another Red Priestess (Melisandre), but was killed. Varys asks why Kinvara’s visions should be trusted when Melisandre was apparently incorrect. Kinvara says that everyone has a role to play and that terrible things happen for a reason. She tells Varys about the mutilation he suffered in his childhood, and says that it all happened for a greater cause, because without it he wouldn’t be there helping the chosen bring light to this world.
Kinvara speaks directly to Varys: “Do you remember what you heard the night the sorcerer tossed your parts into the flames? Should I tell you what the voice said? Should I tell you the name of the one who spoke it or where he lives?”
A few things here stand out to me:
- This same exact situation happened around this time last year when the role for one of the Sand Snakes was revealed through an audition leaked to YouTube.
- The fact that the video has been removed by every other site that was quick to grab it makes you think that it is an actual scripted audition for a real part in Season 6. HBO would definitely not want the video out there.
- Kinvara approached Tyrion and Varys in this dialouge, which means that Dany has yet to return to Meereen, and the Red Priestess and Priests of R’hllor are throwing their support behind the mother of dragons.
- Melisandre is discredited by Kinvara for backing the wrong prophesied hero. The leader of their order clearly believes Daenerys is the Champion of the Lord of Light.
- The script indicates that Stannis is dead. I’m not sure how Tyrion and Varys already know of Stannis’ death, but it seems like Stannis fans can now officially mourn the loss of their King.
This is very exciting news, and Tehmina Sunny looks like she could own the persona of a mysteriously powerful priestess of R’hllor. Look out Melisandre, it would appear as if you are about to get some major competition.