A Game of Thrones House Sigil for all 50 States
By Lightbringer on in Humor.

We’ve seen Game of Thrones sigils for everything from sports teams to television shows, but now we can add all 50 American States to the list.

With the help of the HBO’s generator, Reddit user boo-yay has created a sigil for each of the 50 states, as well as the four US territories and the District of Columbia. Drawing obvious inspiration from the state flags for the sigil backgrounds, the state words proved a little trickier, he says he “either used the states motto, “tweaked” the motto, went by the state slogan, or made a play on the states nickname or popular saying.”

Browse through all of the creations below:

1. T
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

winds of WINTER IS not COMING soon….

2. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Arizona–It’s haboobs all the way down

And lest we forget….Hodor!

3. Dragonboner
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Good stuff. Suck it non-staters!

4. Hodor H'ghar
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Grasping for new content for the site I see.

5. sandbun
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

What do other people think of their state’s sigil? I can’t say I’m impressed with Minnesota’s. A red circle with a bow and arrow with a dark blue and gold background? Don’t see the connection. A loon on a water blue background would’ve worked. Something to link to the lakes. Or something to link to winter since that’s what most people connect with MN. Frankly just the Stark sigil with the north star motto would’ve been better. Maybe it’s just because I connect a weapon going through a red circle with House Martell, but this looks like a southern state sigil.

6. The Loon
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

I live in Arizona and I can say that ours is by far the best and it’s not up for debate

7. Demokritos
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Urgh… “Don’t Mess With Texas” is an anti-littering slogan from the 80s.

8. ANiceChianti
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

New York seems fine. I’m not exactly invested in it.

9. BeautyBrienne
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I like Wisconsin’s. It’s a nice play on the state flag and thank GOD it has nothing to do with the Packers, beer, or cheese.

10. monsieurxander
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I’m just glad Oregon’s wasn’t “Put a Bird on It.”

11. Balerion The Cat
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

‘Meh’ – all the people that don’t live in the US :P

12. Maynard Plumm
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

I’m a little underwhelmed with Colorado’s sigil. First of all, they simply recreated the flag of the state. Including a mountain or two might have been a more logical and creative approach. Also, the state motto, Nil Sine Numine, is commonly mistranslated to “Nothing Without Providence”. The people that decided on that motto clearly intended the interpretation to be “Nothing Without the Deity”. Since this is GoT/ASOIAF/Westeros I propose that it should state “Nothing Without the Gods”

(I would suggest “Nothing Without The Seven”, but I worship the Old Gods, so… :P )

Nonetheless, I love it when people are so transfixed by this story that they would choose to spend their time doing things like this. In that regard, I applaud their efforts.

13. smitzzz
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Why has Delaware got two?

14. Brandon
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Whoever made the Wisconsin sigil, clearly is not from Wisconsin. Purple and Gold? Really? Really!?

It’s like a Minnesota person is trolling us.

15. Trav
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Massachusetts looks good. Not sure what that motto is supposed to mean though

Oh and New Hampshire? Ocean waves??? Not a whole lot of New Hampshire touches the ocean. About 3 or 4 towns, between Massachusetts and Maine is all.

16. Eli
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I don’t understand the motto for house Louisiana ? I mean is that supposed to be French ? I’m French and what is written on it looks like gibberish…

At least have the grammar mistakes fixed to “Laissez le bon temps rouler”. (litterally: Leave the good time roll)

17. banga
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

House California

Winter is not Coming.

We do not water.

Higher than High Speed Rail.

18. Trav
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Upon further review these mottos are hilarious. Though I fear, not intentionally so……..

California: “It has been found”

Idaho: “Let it be perpetual”

Maryland: “Manly deads, womanly words”

Oregon: “Things look different here”

Wyoming: “No place on earth”

Guam: Where days begin

………WHAT?!?! haha

19. MushroomGenius
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Hawaii – “Aloha”

… kay.

Don’t mind the color choice, teal and blue. A more floral or “birthed from the lava” red-colored theme may have fit in better.

Not sure on the bird. Volcanoes or perhaps a nod to Pele the Hawaiian Goddess of Volcanoes would have been a better choice.

Still, pretty novel idea all around.

20. Maverick
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Eli,

don’t worry brother people from Louisiana aren’t that smart.

21. Ashara D
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

House Illinois:

Anything for a price

Votes, CDL licenses, lake dumping rights, college admission, Senate seats… Remember Blago anyone?? ;-/

22. Ser Matt the Sullen
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

I’m not American, but I’ve been around America a lot for my job and most of these are awful.

They don’t project anything really about the state. Florida… Bring on the thunder? Really? Yes its hot in Florida, and yes most days around 3pm a thunder storm rolls through… But Florida is known for it’s Heat, it’s beaches, the sea…

Ok now I’m convinced they’re just shit.

23. Walter Harrow
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Off topic but the trailer for Maisie Williams new film GOLD has been released and it looks pretty good/funny

I thought Maisie was fine in Heatstroke but the writing/cast didnt really help her. She looks great in this and the script/cast are clearly much better

24. ehh
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

smitzzz:
    Why has Delaware got two?

Cuz someone wanted to make a Wayne’s World joke.

25. MotherOfFirkins
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Brandon:
    Whoever made the Wisconsin sigil, clearly is not from Wisconsin.Purple and Gold?Really?Really!?

It’s like a Minnesota person is trolling us.

It is known. Let’s take down their House and steal their Lombardi Trophies. Oh wait…

26. Missouri
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

“Where the river runs”? Why not just put “We have a lot caves” if you’re going to be so dull about it. If anything it should of been the official state motto, which is “Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto”. Latin for “Let the welfare of the people be the supreme law.”

27. Renly's Peach
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

As someone from Georgia, I can safely tell you there isn’t much wisdom in this place.

Much like Oberyn isn’t unbowed or unbent or unbroken..

28. Maverick
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Brandon,

I know right the Vikings and the Packers both suck major balls. It should be blue and red because the New York Giants are the best in America.

29. Roxie
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

ANiceChianti,

As a New Yorker, I like it.

30. sunspear
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Pennsylvania one is pretty good, though I would have expected something more to do with the forests than the coal.

31. Violentos
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

“Awesome!” said nobody outside of America…

32. All Hail the Wolf Girl
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Walter Harrow:

Yes, ‘Gold’ not usually my kind of film but the trailer makes me want to see that. Maisie could be a very good light/comedy drama actress, and good to see a contrast to an Arya type role.

33. Chickenduck
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Surely the sigil of Lousiana should be a Pelican?

34. dizzy
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Demokritos,

Yes, but “Do Not Mess With Us” has to be the best house words ever.

35. Chickenduck
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

There’s also this, is you want to… I don’t know, get a tattoo of your House Words in Chinese, I guess.

36. frenxhy
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

“Laissez les bons temps rouler” is a more accurate spelling :p

37. KG
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Michigan’s sucks. The colors suck, the charge is unimaginative, and the words have nothing to do with either.

Let me try:

Per pale Vert and Argent, a pile inverted wavy Bleu-Celeste
    (This references our old slogan of “Water-Winter Wonderland”)
    surmounted by two stags combatant or
    (A stag is on our state flag)
    supporting an automotive steering wheel, proper.

Words: Power and Speed

House Michigan

THERE! I did better than HBO Marketing in a half hour.

38. The Awful Awful Knight
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Eli,

I believe it is supposed to be “Let The Good Times Roll” which, having been to NOLA recently, is exactly what they do down there :)

39. The Awful Awful Knight
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

banga:
    House California

Winter is not Coming.

We do not water.

Higher than High Speed Rail.

Well played, banga, well played…

40. King Stannis
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

House Cali !! The party state full of HighGarden smoke and home of 5 Lombardi’s belonging to The 49ers.

41. Justin Walsh
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

North Carolina’s is pretty funny. “First in Flight.”

42. Chickenduck
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

frenxhy:
    “Laissez les bons temps rouler” is a more accurate spelling :p

Technically yes. But it’s almost never spelled the “correct” way in Louisiana. Most Cajun French speakers (my grandparents, for example) grew up speaking the language but never learnt to read or write it. At school, they were physically punished if they used any language besides English.

Only some Cajuns who went and studied formal French would know how to use standard spelling. Cajun French is quite different to standard Parisian anyway, it’s much closer to Québec or New Brunswick (Acadian) dialects.

So in Louisiana, people traditionally spell French however the heck they want :)

43. Chickenduck
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Eli,

Cajun dialectal French. Read my previous explanation.

Moi aussi je parle français… Mais les français me demandent si je suis québecois, grace à mon accent! Je suis australien en fait moi, mais d’origine louisianiase.

44. ValerieLaRousse
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

ehh: Cuz someone wanted to make a Wayne’s World joke.

And as a resident of Delaware, let me assure everyone that we never get tired of hearing that joke. :/

45. Randi Shamsabadi Howard
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

The Loon,

Kentucky’s is more or less spot on (woulda replaced the gold with coal grey but eh…). Actual state motto so…there ya go. Well, former state motto. It changed last year to Kentucky Kicks Ass because SUCK IT, TEXAS!

46. freoduwebbe
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Trav: Maryland: “Manly deads, womanly words”

Yea, our motto sucks….. I always liked to think of MD as the Land of Pleasant Living….. Time to go boat on the bay and eat crabs.

and frankly our flag is simply more stunning than this one. After all its heraldic.

47. Shipper
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Alabama’s should be “Football and God… or vice versa” or “Football is God.” That would be more representative of the state’s mindset.

48. Fienix
    Posted July 18, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Renly’s Peach,

The “Wisdom, Justice, Moderation” is from the state seal. If you want to blame the lack of wisdom on native Georgians, you have to go out in the boonies, ’cause everyone in metro Atlanta is from somewhere else. I do wish the background was a different color– maybe orange, to represent our lovely GA clay??? But then, the peach-that-looks-like-an-orange wouldn’t be able to be seen. At least they used the peach-orange from the license plates. (I’m being highly sarcastic here.) I can just be thankful I have an equine plate.

49. jerry taylor