Day 22: Filming at Ballintoy Harbour
By Winter Is Coming on in Filming, Speculation.

Ballintoy HarbourWell I’m back from a week long vacation in which I took a break from this site and the day job and had spent some quality time with the family (although I did manage to finally finish A Dance with Dragons as well). Now I’m refreshed and ready to jump back into the world of Game of Thrones.

It seems a lot has happened while I was gone! I have a bunch of new faces to add to our season two cast page. But first, let’s do a quick filming update, shall we?

Last Wednesday, filming moved into the Paint Hall for the first time this season. They also reportedly did some filming in a forest in Clandeboye Estate on a set covered in fake snow. Here is a YouTube video of the set. Hard to make out much, but the speculation that this might be Craster’s Keep seems to make sense.

This week the production will be on location again, this time filming at Ballintoy Harbour (pictured above without any set dressing). Numerous set photos have leaked onto the web (via Flickr, Photobucket and Yfrog) and they all show, unsurprisingly, a harbor set. My guess was that this set would be used for the scenes on Pyke. However, reports from the set seem to indicate it is actually going to be a scene prior to a battle. So maybe this harbor is actually on Dragonstone? We should know more tomorrow, once the filming actually begins. Stay tuned…

1. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

boy, I was dying for some new news!

2. The Rabbit
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Or just Ironborn preparing to invade The North.

3. Damryn of Dorne
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Looks cool, cant wait for the plotline north of the wall… that and Brienne :D

Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit, yeah, that too. Of course, George didn’t show the Ironborn fleet launching out to sea in the books, but they might want to show it in the show.

5. Kalasin
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Craster would be right, timing-wise. I wonder when they’re going to Iceland :) For some reason I had it in my head that all of the north of the wall stuff would be there, but now that I think about it it’s probably just for the Quoren/Jon trek through the mountains stuff.

ps. Seeing the Pyke fleet would be cool.

6. Elena Amici
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Kalasin: I wonder when they’re going to Iceland :) For some reason I had it in my head that all of the north of the wall stuff would be there

i thought the same till i realized it’s bloody cold up there and i felt really sorry for the cast. Anyway, i think they will go to iceland as soon as possible, before the weather gets worse xD

7. Lisa
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Kalasin:
    Craster would be right, timing-wise.I wonder when they’re going to Iceland :)

8. Elena Amici
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Lisa: so I’m guessing October/November.

o_O
    wow.

9. purplejilly
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I saw a man vs wild episode with Bear Gryls and Jake Gyllenhall out in Iceland romping around, and it looked rough!!

10. Lisa
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici: o_O
    wow.

11. Nights King
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Ballintoy Harbour = The Winch Tower? (Battle of Blackwater)

12. Kalasin
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Lisa,

Lisa: It’s just my guess based on that Access Hollywood interview with Emilia and Kit and he said “late in the year”, so for me that’s October/November or even December. But I could also be wrong.

Hmm, I think I saw that interview and I usually hang on to Kit’s words slavishly, but I don’t remember that. I’ll have to watch it again :)

13. Lisa
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Kalasin,

It’s somewhere in the begininng of the interview if that helps you. Maybe I also misunderstood.

14. HandmaidenofDany
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

purplejilly,

Mmmmm Jake Gyllenhall!!!! :)

15. Johan Sporre
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Lisa: I think it was mentioned that they would film there late in the year, so I’m guessing October/November. Poor guys. But I heard Iceland has a pretty mild climate for its latitude. ;)

Iceland actually doesn’t get that cold thanks to the Gulf stream mainly. In October/November the average high temperature is still around 5°C (40°F).

16. John W
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Hey what did you think of ADWD? Give us your review. Did it resolve everything you wanted resolved? Were you able to see all the twists and turns before they happened? Were you surprised by the whole Griff plot line? Were you disappointed by anything?

Posted August 15, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

John W, I posted a few thoughts on Twitter and will probably post a more comprehensive reaction in the ADWD thread at some point but here are quick answers to your questions: It was okay. No. Some. No. Yes.

18. Marilyn Bones
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

If Season 2 was a baby we would be about 1 month old in the womb with April being our due date … just saying

19. andrea
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Marilyn Bones,
    and that “season 2″ baby will be a sellsword from The Second Sons. Oh well, anything can happen in ADwD.

20. Franny Bee
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Marilyn Bones,

Okay well that’s depressing. Can we at least smoke and drink?

21. andi
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

i was down today and the set looks really well. cant wait to see it on tv. thought they would have been filming today but i think we got there too early. really wanted to see if tyrion was there!!! i have been going to ballintoy all my life and was strange to see it dressed for the screen!!

22. KG
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

They need to hit up Michigan for some sets … Isle Royale, maybe. Lots of wolves there ;D

23. andrea
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

John W,

go here

There are over 600 comments about ADwD in that thread. Enjoy them… or not.

24. Moe
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

My first thought was it could probably be the Blackwater but it’s too narrow and none of the stuff that Tyrion ordered to be built for its defence

There’s one thing I don’t understand about shooting in multiple locations… if they’re going to Iceland late this year, does this mean the filming all the other scenes (everything that happens in the South) should already be complete?

25. bluemeanies
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Moe,

They were filming simultaneously in Monaco & N Ireland last year so the answer is probably that if it makes sense they will have crews going in 2 or 3 countries simultaneously.

26. Kalasin
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Lisa:
    Kalasin,

Nope, I found it. He said Iceland would be cold later in the year. I think I didn’t think much of it because that was back when I assumed most/all of the north of the wall stuff (and hence most/all of his season 2 story) would be in Iceland :)

27. metalgoddessamb
    Posted August 15, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

I was in Iceland, in February. The weather wasn’t so bad.

Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:04 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

Hmm, I thought you would have enjoyed it a little more. I know I did (although like most people, I thought Dany and to a lesser extent Tyrion were pretty boring). I’m pretty sure I liked it better than FEAST, anyway (which I also enjoyed).

EDIT: It must feel weird having mixed feelings about a book that mentions you in the dedication, lol!

29. Langkard
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Nights King: (Battle of Blackwater)

I had that impression too, looking at the leaked photos.

30. tysnow
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

I cannot believe Malta would ditch HBO because of some fungus growing on rocks. I mean the notoriety and attention, not including probable winfall from being used as location shooting for a critically acclaimed and popular series, far outweighs some seascum that makes its home on the rocky shores of a beach.
    Malta should wise up and at least allow filming in the cities for K.L. scenes, otherwise their government is very shortsighted.

Posted August 16, 2011 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Lex, yeah, I thought I would like it more too, especially after reading all the glowing mainstream press reviews. But it suffered from many of the same problems that Feast did (too much filler, too many characters, etc.). I rate it slightly better than Feast, but only because it includes some more prominent characters (Jon, Dany, Tyrion) and answered a few long-speculated-on questions.

tysnow, why do you think Malta isn’t going to be used again?

32. OhWhoCares
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Johan Sporre,

Well that’s not too bad at all!

33. Elena Amici
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 10:48 am | Permalink

Winter Is Coming: tysnow, why do you think Malta isn’t going to be used again?

WiC, i read the same yesterday here (http://www.badtv.it/2011/08/david-benioff-parla-delle-location-di-game-of-thrones-2/)
    The article is written in italian & the title is “D.B. talks about GoT season 2 filming locations”.
    It also says “They will be filming in 3 countries….the main set is based in NI…The 2nd country is likely iceland.. the third one might be Turkey or Croatia. D&D won’t be filming in malta this year”
    The source provided is D.B. interview in that Variety’s article about the emmys, although there is no link and i’m to lazy to google it ;)

34. OhDanyBoy
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Elena Amici,

A fuller summary of the quote is given by Ran at Westeros.

35. Elena Amici
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

okay, thanks.
    so, no malta.. dang, i live in southern italy and i wanted to go to see the set!

36. Johan Sporre
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 11:39 am | Permalink

tysnow,

It could just as easily have been HBO who ditched Malta for the hassle they got there last season.

37. big swerg
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Off topic update : the pinky is healing nicelyand i didnt even have to ask ramesy to cut it off! Also winter is coming now comes up second when i google game of thrones, keep up the good work!

38. tysnow
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Winter Is Coming,

tysnow, why do you think Malta isn’t going to be used again

Hopefully not, but I get the impression Malta is out and Croatia in from what info I have seen on boards.

39. KG
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

When the trouble with the beach started, the production team probably ran around and filmed twelve hours’ worth of establishing shots in and around “King’s Landing” just in case.

40. Shinyteapot
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

KG,

I hope so! Even so, if they don’t go back to Malta at all, finding places to match some of the locations may be difficult- the area around Baelor’s Sept for example. There will be external scenes with characters in after all.

Still, I’m sure the team know what they are doing, with careful set dressing and CGI they can probably find somewhere in Croatia that can be made to look exactly like the places used in Malta.

41. purplejilly
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

tysnow,
    You can’t underestimate how crazy some of the extreme environmentalists can get at times. They would consider fungus more important than jobs and income for the people in the area. It happens all the time in the US. Farms in California are drying up and people are losing their homes and livlihood because they want to divert water for a small, 3 inch fish.

42. Peruvian Winter
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Off the topic question, how do I insert a picture or avatar in my comments?

43. Sim
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Oona Chaplin will play Jeyne Westerling and there might be some other new info in this article posted by the GoT’s facebook page. Pretty spoilery, so be careful if you dont know what goes on in book 2.

The promised love story is between Rob and Jeyne.

44. andrea
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Peruvian Winter,

I discovered a few days ago. Go to and create an account. Then you choose the image you want and that image will always be connected to your e-mail account.

45. andrea
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Peruvian Winter,

sorry, forgot the link, es: gravatar.com

46. Elena Amici
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Peruvian Winter,

andrea: sorry, forgot the link, es: gravatar.com

i *love* gravatar.

<— THIS is my gravatar image xD

Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Sim,

It never ceases to amaze me when people come here, the premiere GOT news site, and post links to “news” that is nearly a week old…

48. Elena Amici
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Lex, we cannot all be as fast as you are :)

EDIT: yes, im jealous ’cause i can’t solve GRRM clues. So what? xD

49. andrea
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

I can´t read what it says above but GRRM kills a Stark? if he continues like this I´m afraid your new gravatar will say GRRM killed all Stark family! and erased Tully´s

50. Elena Amici
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

andrea,

it says “every time you ask when the next book will be out, GRRM kills a stark” fitting, isn’t?
    (although i’ m back to my regular avatar now.. i was just showing off ;D)

51. andrea
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Elena Amici,

Oh yes, now I understand. It´s perfect!

52. The Reader
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Could be the God’s Eye maybe?

53. Peruvian Winter
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Gracias Andrea! Voy a hacer el intento. Acabo de recibir mi copia de ADwD!

54. andrea
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

Peruvian Winter,

ah castellano!!! qué felicidad!!! Gravatar es fácil, te indica todo paso a paso. Tratá de no elegir una foto o dibujo con mucho detalle porque queda de 80 x 80 pix, como las que ves aquí. Preguntame lo que necesites, pero verás que es muy fácil. Son pocos pasos. Yo lo terminé de leer hace poco más de una semana. Aún lo estoy mascullando. La discusión del libro lleva aquí más de 600 comentarios. Que lo disfrutes!

55. Andrea Spencer
    Posted August 16, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I think this set mey have to do with Theon returning home. Excited about it whatever it is!

56. SugarVampire
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 2:53 am | Permalink

purplejilly,

You’re so right. This is so insane. It is not the 90s when times were good, people can afford those indulgence.

Anyway, back to GoT news. Saw it on twitter from westeros.org that an actress/model Sarah Halland, a Marisa Miller type has been casted as a prostitute. Couldn’t find her photos through Google, Bing, YouTube or imdb, except a few photos on her twitter account – http://t.co/l9y5HQY http://yfrog.com/h8ylkilj http://yfrog.com/h82l1dsj .

I guess more sexposition is in order. Not sure it is a speaking part though.

57. Sid
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:21 am | Permalink

SugarVampire

Probably just a moaning part. :D

(I’m sorry, couldn’t resist it…)

58. annarien
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Last night at a book signing in Croatia I got a chance to talk to the man who is GRRM’s editor/publisher and the guy told me Dubrovnik has been a confirmed location for filming, though he was not at liberty to say when they would be shooting there or what scene(s). Apparently, he got the info from GRRM cause he is trying to get him to Croatia when they do the filming there.

59. annarien
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

annarien,

GRRM’s editor/publisher for Croatia*

60. The Rabbit
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

annarien,

Thanks annarien!

I can consider it as a confirmation, because the first solid rumour I have heard was from the same source (croatian editors).

61. tysnow
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

OT sorta, what happened to the HBO production dairies for this season, are they going to post any?

62. SugarVampire
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

Sid,

It’s great to see how excited her friends were with the news – “Do it!! You’ll be part of something AWESOME!!!” I guess Ros is a big success in many people’s eyes.

63. Sid
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 3:27 am | Permalink

SugarVampire,

Well, to quote GRRMs wording: “They’re not wrong.”
    She WILL be part of something awesome. I mean, even if she will be nekkid the whole time, she can sit back in her 60ies and say: -I was part of that.

Personally, I’d prefer to be an extra in the background (or Mace Tyrell :D), but that’s just me.

And who knows? She might be the new Ros! She might even inspire a new series of spinoffs! :)

64. kris
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Does anybody know if they’re still filming at ballintoy? I’m going to take a drive over this afternoon and see if there’s anything fun going on.

65. kris
    Posted August 19, 2011 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Well, to answer my own question, yes they are still filming. But I couldn’t get within half a mile of the set (without going over fields and hedges. They have the entire village of ballintoy fenced off. All I could see was assorted film related vehicles…and whilst I wanted to stay until I saw either theon or davos depart a trailer, I didn’t have the patience

66. Grace Smith
    Posted August 22, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

If anyone wants to see some pics from the set, I’ve uploaded some: http://minus.com/mUx0W3XKl. I live about 20 minutes away from Ballintoy and we were down on Saturday (though we couldn’t get close to the harbour due to security), however we went back down on Sunday and were allowed down.

The set looks amazing and I can’t honestly wait to see it in the new series!

67. Barry
    Posted September 26, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Crasters Keep (possibly) was filmed just half a mile up the hill from where i’m sitting in my living room, & i didn’t have a bloody clue!

1. [...] Winter is coming hat ein paar neue Einzelheiten Grobheiten zu den Dreharbeiten der zweiten Staffel Game of Thrones. Im Grunde nichts spektakuläres, da es gerade nicht allzuviel zu berichten gibt, und allzuviel zu sehen gibt es auch nicht. Erst recht keine Spoiler. But Season 2 is still in progress! [...]

2. [...] there are multiple rumours stating that the contract for filming in Croatia (and Dubrovnik specifically) is a done deal, or [...]

3. [...] vijesti, WiC.net se poziva na neimenovani (i navodno vjerodostojni) izvor, jedan tweet i komentar na njihovom blogu. Prema njihovom izvoru, pripreme za početak snimanja trebale bi početi 28. [...]

• WiC Live