New S3 video: “Inside the Wildlings”
By Ours is the Fury on in Production.

Jon Snow’s journey beyond the Wall continues in season 3 of Game of Thrones, giving the audience a deeper look inside the wildling culture. This new video features interviews from George R.R. Martin, Kit Harington, Ciarán Hinds, and more, discussing the community of the free folk. It also offers insight into the King Beyond the Wall himself, introducing the charismatic Mance Rayder.

“Inside the Wildlings” includes several moments from season 3 episodes, and contains mild spoilers.

Thanks to Darquemode of SpoilerTV for uploading the video.

UPDATE: Now updated with the official HBO YT release.

Ours is the Fury: I love getting a sneak peek at the performances as well. Kristofer Hivju is the perfect Tormund.

1. Daniel
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Hodor…

2. Matt
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Watched it Ondemand this morning. Def worth a look.

3. GerB40
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:00 am | Permalink

The fella playing Thormund was born for the role. Ciaráin isn’t how i imagined Mance but he is a seriously talented actor. Beyond the wall is gonna be class this season…

4. Ser Tahu

List of things officially confirmed in this video:
    the return of Rattleshirt
    Giants
    Jon’s facial scarring

List of things not confirmed (yet):
    Mammoths

Well the mammoths were confirmed to exist because their tusks hold up Mance’s tent, but they’re not confirmed to be shown.

6. Hounded
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Kristofer Hivju’s beard is real. What a legend.

7. Mat
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

While physically, Tormund looks absolutely perfect, in the clips shown I’m worried he seems a little too serious and intense, might just be those shots of course but I hope they manage to capture Tormund’s joviality and tall-talking too. HAR!

8. Rui
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

I don’t remember Orell speaking in SoS since he warged into an eagle when he was killed in Clash of Kings, but of course the skirmish when they found the wildling camp wasn’t as depicted in the book so there’s that explanation for it.

9. Michel
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:20 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu,
    where did you see giants?

Ser Tahu,

10. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:21 am | Permalink

It looks as if they’ve kept the bit where Jon mistakes one person for Mance — seemingly kneeling before Tormund Giantsbane. Also (and amazingly) MacKensie Crook looks terrific as Orell/Varamyr.

11. hinka
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:27 am | Permalink

Michel,

1:20 – 1:30 I guess they cgi the giants and we will see them (at least i hope) when this episode airs.

12. GreatJon of Slumber
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Just as an aside: I think they’re going to have a hard time not letting Kristofer Hijvu’s natural personality not come through anyway — he’s about the only one who makes an impression in the remake of The Thing largely because of the moment when he yells, “We found a FUCKING ALIEN!!”

(I guess technically that’s a spoiler…)

13. Turncloak
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Awesome. Jon kneeling down b4 Tormund lol. I expect a few “member” jokes during that scene. I hope that Jon holds on to his celibacy vows until he is forced to prove himself to Mance. Would like to see Ghost sleeping next to Jon and infuriating Ygritte :).

14. Currer Bell
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

One remembers an audition tape with a youngish, curly-haired actor. The line of dialogue that stays in one’s is mind goes something like “I’m coming south with my tail tucked between my legs.” This guy would have been wonderful as Mance. Does anyone else remember this and the actor’s name?

15. you-know-nothing
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Winter is Coming,

I just read this on BBC, hope he gets well soon.

16. Arkash
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

I really hope too Tormund wont be that dead-ass, serious character we see in the previews, but I have faith… HAR !

17. zod
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Here’s what Kit Harington has to say about Tormund this season:

He had this massive beard. And he’s this huge guy. Very physically right for Tormund. And he brings a real sort of wonderful excentricity to the part. I think he’s a really likable character this season, I know Tormund is in the books, and that’s what he really latched on to is that of this wildling group of people there needs to be people you dislike and people you like, so that you know they are just another group of humans in this whole world. They’re not the enemy, they’re not terrible “rape and pillaging” people. Jon has to see that they are nice, and that he has to like them, which makes his decisions harder in this season coming up. And Kristofer did his job perfectly, there’s a real bond that happens between Jon and Tormund this season, I hope it will be interesting to watch.

So I guess they kept the fun side of the character in the show.

18. Turncloak
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Arkash,

I think Tormund is acting serious right b4 he pulls out his jokes. Will be unexpected for Jon lol

19. dizzy
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Currer Bell,

That’s get Joe on the show. I guess he’s still working on it, don’t know.

20. Jake
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

GerB40:

Definitely agree. Tormund is perfect and I pictured Mance different, but I think he’ll be a good Mance nonetheless.

21. axinixe
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

funny vid for the winds of w inter!

22. JamesL
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Mance looks and sounds too much like what you would expect the King Beyond the Wall to look and sound. That was the cool thing about Mance, he wasn’t what you would expect and seemed very friendly. They seemed desperate to get someone with a “name” for the part and this is what they ended up with. I’m sure I’ll get used to him but they didn’t have to get a name for the role, they are a lot of good actors out there who don’t really have a name in the buisness that they could have found to play Mance.

23. John
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Ser Tahu:
    List of things officially confirmed in this video:
    the return of Rattleshirt
    Giants
    Jon’s facial scarring

List of things not confirmed (yet):
    Mammoths

And don’t forget:
    GRRM mentioned that Westeros north of the wall is as big as Canada! The Maps on the first 5 books show us only such a small part of it.. I’m pretty sure TWOW will reveal that the White Walkers aren’t pure evil – it just doesn’t fit into the world of Westeros and GRRM’s writing style..

24. MyBFFTheHound
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Giant at 2.57! At least based on what I’ve read about that scene, it was supposed to hammer down a pole in the camp when Jon sees it.

25. Reverse Nielsen
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

hinka,

Ian Whyte is probably playing a giant. I am ridiculously excited to see him in costume.

26. superdeluxe
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink
  27. Perkins
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

This is the closest I am going to come to feeling how I used to waiting for Christmas.

28. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

zod:
    So I guess they kept the fun side of the character in the show.

Glad to hear that! I was worried that Tormund seemed far too grim.

29. Christian
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

you-know-nothing,

That guy is bloody tough

30. Jim
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

If I was a wildling I wouldn’t follow a guy with Mance Rayder’s haircut

31. Hounded
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

MyBFFTheHound,

Nah thats just a wildling.

32. you-know-nothing
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Christian,

I’d expect nothing less from the GreatJon ;)

33. Ren Snow
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The guy with the axe inside Mance’s tent: Jarl?

34. Caro H
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Oh yes, Kristofer Hivju is indeed the perfect Tormund! <3

35. direhound
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

I wonder if when Ygritte takes Jon’s sword is the segue into the cave?

36. Jen@House Stark
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Tormund, Orell and Mance, oh my!

37. Josla
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

direhound,

I thought the same thing. It looks like she’s luring him to follow her. That Ygritte is so evil.

38. Isabelle
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

you-know-nothing:
    Winter is Coming,

I just read this on BBC, hope he gets well soon.

Thanks for this–hope Clive will be okay. If he can survive a few fingers being ripped off, though, he can survive a measly bit of ear ;-)

39. Isabelle
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Josla:
    direhound,

Steal one sword to lay claim to another. Sounds about right XD

40. Juego de tronos
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Great vídeo !!

41. MRR
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

They’re unlikely to show Tormund being cheery in the previews because they want people going into season 3 with the idea that the wildlings are all scary and dangerous. Jon is pretty frightened at the end of season 2, so they don’t want to confuse the mood. This does not mean that Tormund will be dour and grim.

42. Ross
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Josla:
    direhound,

He really is about to go “inside the wildlings” – one of them anyway. Sorry….

43. kvothe
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Nick_Scryer,

actually i think i can see mammoth tusks at the mance’s camp. may b wood. who knows 4 now, eh?

44. GerB40
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

John,

I can imagine the white walkers as mindless zombies being controlled by one master zombie. Kind of like an anti bloodraven. I agree that GRRM wouldn’t have the WW’s as just bad guys who kill good guys.

45. JohnLives
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

Mance’s casting doesn’t fit the bill at all. I can’t see him playing the part of a bard like Mance does in the books. A fine actor but not a fit at all.

46. iam76
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

JohnLives,

Mr Hinds can act his ass off. Don’t worry about that.

47. WildSeed
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Giants ! The frozen north that’s not the Canadian tundra !

Insightful video of the Wildlings, thanks Darquemode ! Tormund is a
    character to be reckoned with, and the weaponry designed by Mr Dunne
    is truly impressive. I’m as excited to view these as my anxious anticipation
    of the Unsullied. The Free Folk and their crude lifestyle is caught on camera.
    Season three is not to disappoint with visual displays of the environment.

48. WildSeed
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Jen@House Stark:
    Tormund, Orell and Mance, oh my!

LMAO ! Jon saw his first giant too.

49. WildSeed
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Michel:
    Ser Tahu,
    where did you see giants?

Ser Tahu,

The video confirmed that viewers will be seeing giants in S3, Ygritte mentions
    to Jon, by the expression on his face, that he’s seen his first one.

50. Prince of Pentos
    Posted March 25, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

It seems they have merged the Magnar of Thenn with Tormund Gianstbane, which doesn’t seem to be the most optimal merging of characters.

Also missing Tormund’s “HAR!” and his tall-tales — in the books, he never actually once gets angry at Jon until in the fifth book when Jon forces his passing-through-the-wall terms on Tormund. Before this point, including right before the Battle Under the Wall, Tormund and Jon are cracking jokes, so to speak, warming up with the same whiskey skin, etc. The Tormund in the preview, though looking accurate (although perhaps slightly younger than in the books?), didn’t seem nearly jolly enough, at least not so far — I am also still hopeful though.

Recall also that in the first trailer, we see this character (who we now know to be Tormund) climbing the wall. It seems then that Jon will have a very strong confrontation with the TV show “Tormund” before making it back to the Night’s Watch. This will get confusing when Jon later needs to negotiate with him before the Battle, unless that’s been switched around too.

As mentioned above, maybe not the best merging of characters? Ah well. Still looks awesome!

51. xFire and Bloodx
    Posted March 26, 2013 at 3:40 am | Permalink

i hope there will be mammoths