Natalia Tena on the whereabouts and future of Osha and Rickon
By Lightbringer on in Interview.

Bran Stark, Hodor, Meera and Jojen Reed reached the three-eyed raven in the Season 4 finale, but Osha and Rickon have been nowhere to be seen since the two groups parted ways at the end of Season 3. Many viewers have been left hoping that we haven’t seen the last of them quite yet, and to no surprise, Game of Thrones actress Natalia Tena feels the same way.

Vulture caught up with Natalia Tena recently while she was in New York to promote her new film 10,000 KM, where she shared her hopes for what George R.R. Martin has planned in Osha’s future, her favorite fan theory, and what she thinks Osha’s drink of choice would be.

Apparently, because of the way you’ve portrayed Osha, George R.R. Martin is reconsidering how he’s writing the character in the next book.
I don’t know! I hope so! I hope it bears fruit. Let’s see what happens in the sixth book. I’m hoping he gives us more adventures! Fingers crossed. I don’t know entirely what they’re going to do yet on the show, if they’re going to pick up with us next season. I don’t think they’ve finalized the scripts yet, or who’s doing what, or what they’re picking up from the books, or where they’re going off-book. Where is it going to go? I don’t know.

At the point where they left off on the show, Osha and Rickon were heading towards the Last Hearth, the Umber stronghold. But in the books, they’re rumored to be in [slight spoiler].
It’s all in George’s head, and he could do anything, you know? I’ve heard so many fun theories, like how Bran is going to help her control the dragons, and then Dany will take over and be a good queen. I’d love that. I’d love it to be a queen in the end, obviously. I’ve only met George a few times, but I never ask about that. We never go deep on that level. I just have fun with him.

What Game of Thrones–themed drink would you want to have with him, like the Red Viper he had with Pedro Pascal?
I think Osha’s drink would be bark schnapps. It’s basically like tree alcohol, tree moonshine. I just went to Iceland, where they film a lot of the beyond-the-Wall stuff, the Wildling land, and I went with my band to play for the summer solstice. Longest day of the year, the sun never goes down, amazing. It’s one in the morning, and the sun is still up. And they drink a kind of fucking hardcore drink, this schnapps, with bark in it, and they’ve got two versions. They’ve got a sweet one, and they’ve got a bitter one. I had a little bit of both. And I think Osha would drink that, definitely. I think she would have two bottles of both of those. Proper hardcore, feral. But she doesn’t strike me as a big drinker. I think she’s more about killing shit and eating it with her hands!

For the full interview visit Vulture, but beware that it contains some small book spoilers. Natalia recommends a book called Women Who Run With the Wolves, and talks a bit about why the Stark girls need their direwolves, and touches on a potential scene in the future involving one of them.

1. Tereeza777
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Soy la primera? Puede ser? Hola Natalia – mucho tiempo. Espero que vuelvas pronto.

2. jentario
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I think we’ll see them in season 5, even if only for a short cameo. We haven’t gotten that far in the books yet but the show is catching up and it would be fitting to be reminded of these two in season 5 (it’s been one season already, we should see them!).

It also ties directly with the Manderly thing, assuming they’re going to do Manderly (or some version of him, such as him being replaced by the Greatjon).

3. A Man Grown
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777,

I could read that, sweet! That means I haven’t completely forgotten the Spanish I learned in school.

4. jentario
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Tereeza777,

Cayate tu hermosa mujer! Yo estoy hablando espaniol en un sitio ingles! Muy bueno! Dildos para todo el mundo!!!

5. Cumsprite
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Remember when the ass-lickers said that Martin was too true to his art to let HBO influence his writing?

Pepperidge Farm remembers.

6. Abysss
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

Writers all over the world get “influenced” all the time, it’s called inspiration. Should GRRM decide to explore the character of Osha in a new way because of Natalia Tena’s portrait of her, then that has nothing to do with not being true to his art…

7. Olafur
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Aidan Gillen was seen in Iceland today…having a haircut under tight scrutiny by some ppl….it had to took so and so….(Littlefingerish)

8. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Please don’t tease us with more Natalia unless you mean it! GRRM is not the only one inspired by her screen presence. That voice…

9. Joe Frost
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Osha. Shaggy and Rickon are on Skagos with Benjen and will lead an army of wilding to reclaim th north and beat back the Whitewalkers…I hope! :P

10. Cumsprite
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Abysss:
    Cumsprite,

The apologists are running out of arrows in their quivers. There’s always Neil Gaiman’s hissy-fit to fall back on I suppose.

11. Fancy word for a sellsword
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

I hope the show inspires GRRM to get to the meat of the story, and trim the fat a bit.

12. Abyss
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Cumsprite,

I see. We are on the same page then. :)
    The only reason that I might have reacted a bit snippy is because I have seen that true-to-ones-art point for a while now and unless we are talking about someone who is a total sell-out (which isn’t true when it comes to GRRM imo), I really don’t get were these people are coming from. My guess is, they have some strange idea of the author as an untouchable genius, maybe fired by ideas which in some way can be found in classicism and romanticism, but it was always challenged and nothing more than an ideal anyway…

13. Abyss
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Abysss,

Lol, portray of curse, it is getting late here…

14. Abyss
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 9:47 pm | Permalink
  15. Ser Dosser
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Who cares about Osha and Rickon?

That´s just filer material.

16. jentario
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 3:44 am | Permalink

Abyss,

Nice

17. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 4:24 am | Permalink

The only one throwing a hissy-fit here it’s you :P

No “Martin apologetic” said any of that nonsense you’re talking about ;-D

Cumsprite: I am in complete agreement with you. I am just pointing out the reaction of the taint-snorklers whenever someone speculated that Martin might let the show influence his writing. The same vehement denials were heard whenever someone suggested Martin’s travel and side projects interfere with the writing of ASOIAF. Or that the show will pass the books. Etc.

18. Langas
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 5:25 am | Permalink

jentario,

me hiciste cagarme encima de la risa.

19. Rygar
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 7:20 am | Permalink

I hope D&D give GRRM a big old “fuck you, too” and kill her off.

Not out of spite due to GRRMs comments to his fans mind you, but because I actually can’t stand the character portrayed. I find her irritating, like Jessie Pinkman irritating.

20. Thronetender
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 8:09 am | Permalink

I hope they both show up during season 5 – for at least a tiny bit of closure. I’d like to know that they reached their destination safely and that Rickon is being raised in the manner of a lord. I think the Northmen should be outraged by what’s happened to the Starks – they’d be fiercely protective of Rickon and grateful to Osha for caring for him. I would also think they’d be clamoring for Frey blood, which is why the absence of a certain character mystifies me.

At any rate, I am greatly entertained by Natalie and the character of Osha, and always enjoyed seeing her get some screen time. I don’t know what’s with you naysayers, but I can see why GRRM would be inspired by her. She brought Osha to life, bless her snarling little heart.

21. Thronetender
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I just went over to the Vulture site to read the full article, and now I love her even more. I’ve only really seen her either as Osha or Tonks in Harry Potter. My goodness, the girl cleans up beautifully. The picture of her is adorable. Plus, the article makes her sound even more badass – you can tell that she channels her lust for life to create Osha’s gritty determination to survive. More Osha please!!

22. Isabelle
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I really want to have this woman round for tea. Her immediate response to learning about unicorns on Skagos? “Brilliant. I love unicorns. I want a parrot-colored unicorn. Done! Let’s go there!” I love the way her mind works : )

23. Rygar
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Thronetender,

Just a matter of opinion. Her mentally disturbed take on the character doesn’t do it for me and is wearisome at times.

She is adorable, that much I like.

24. jentario
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Rygar,

I loved her in the first two seasons but hated her in season 3 (the one where she constantly measures dicks with Meera).

25. Rygar
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:35 am | Permalink

jentario:
    Rygar,

Those two measuring dicks is something I WOULD love to see.

26. jentario
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Rygar,

I bet Meera’s is much longer

27. Rygar
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 9:58 am | Permalink

jentario,

Of course, that’s why sissy boy Karl Tanner liked her.

28. Dwayne Roberts
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 10:20 am | Permalink

people have been talking about the future of game of thrones will it be movies will characters die before they die in the books will the show do prequels with roberts rebellion the original dance of dragons

heres what i suddenly thought

can thrones be converted into a 3d television show

with 3d seriously on the rise and the fact that we have 3d tvs now how about a 3d show …. thrones is known for doing stuff thats been unheard of … well maybe i just dont know much but i have never heard of a 3d television show

ok just googled it and there are 3d channels …none where i live though …. but wud hbo ever do a 3d show …Spartacus wud have been the 1 to start it with however im sure thrones with its battles and duels and amazing landscapes and attention to minute details can make it work too

29. jentario
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Dwayne Roberts,

3D ain’t my cup of tea, but as long as it doesn’t take away from the budget of the episodes I wouldn’t mind

30. Abyss
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Dwayne Roberts,

The problem with 3d in general imo is that it just doesn’t look very impressive most of the time and in the rare cases where it does, the scenes are in particular created to play to the strength of 3d.
    If you ask me then 3d is just cheap showmanship for the most part and I wouldn’t say that it is on the rise. The industry certainly wants it to be, because there is a lot of money in it, but my impression is that the audience isn’t really biting.

31. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

I like Natalia and love the way she has portrayed Osha. She took a so-so character from the books and made her much more interesting.

I also highly recommend “Women Who Run with Wolves” by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. The author is a poet, cantadora and has a doctorate in ethno-clinical psychology. She takes traditional fairy tales and examines them in a unique way so that they not only become wonderful insights into the human psyche but also useful therapeutic tools for people who have suffered emotional trauma. This particular books focuses on women, of course, and looks at the things that hold women back, that keeps them from running with the wolves. So expect a healthy dose of feminist-like perspective. I say feminist-like because she is far, far beyond what most people understand the term “feminism” to be.

I first read the book about 15 years ago and ironically enough started collecting Native American fetishes (no, not that kind, the stone carvings) and my first one was a wolf. From a very early age, I always thought my spiritual animal was the wolf and when I read her book I became certain of it. If you like the symbolism in folklore and fairy tales, you will love this book.

“Go out in the woods, go out. If you don’t go out in the woods nothing will ever happen and your life will never begin.”
    –Clarissa Pinkola Estes

32. Asfastasican
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Natalie was smart to flirt with GRRM in another to influence him to give Osha another pass in his future books. Even the best writers cave in and provide fan service every once in a while.

33. barbara lambert
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Ser Dosser,

Ser Dosser,

Ser Dosser,

strong>Ser Dosser,

Rickon is a Male Stark and Shaggy Dog is a Direwolf!

34. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

barbara lambert,

Rickon is a filler Stark.

35. Salty Dornishman
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

You cannot make that assertion, not having read TWoW or ADoS yet.

36. Cumsprite
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano:
    The only one throwing a hissy-fit here it’s you :P

No “Martin apologetic” said any of that nonsense you’re talking about ;-D

We must frequent different corners of the internet then. Your neighborhood sounds like a friendly place.

You seem to have trouble discerning tone. What you take as a hissy fit is actually a victory lap. Because the detractors have been right for years.

37. Zack
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 10:37 pm | Permalink

She makes me anxious for the next book. The big unknown is their (Osha/Rickon) fates or ultimate role to play in events. If the last we see of them is as depicted in the show/book, it will be such a disappointment. And I would think that the time to re-emerge would be this next book. Definitely.

38. Chickenduck
    Posted July 18, 2014 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    barbara lambert,

Rickon is a filler Stark.

Two possibilities.

1. Rickon’s storyline is a Shaggy Dog Story and intentionally goes nowhere (GRRM is seeding an obvious joke here with Shaggydog’s name).

2. Rickon is the analog to Garmr in the story of Ragnarök. He is symbolic of the bloodied wolf who guards the gates of hell and will have something to do with Jaime’s ultimate demise.

One of those.

39. El Beto
    Posted July 19, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Ser Dosser,

That depends on wheter you have read the books or haven’t.
    For instance, non-readers fans hate Bran and think his story is tedious. For readers fan some love it some don’t, but we know his part on ASOIAF is crucial in the story.

Rickon is a little boy, but I personally think he could be Lord of Winterfell or something important once he’s grown, he’s a Stark after all (let’s hope RR Martin keeps him alive for that)

40. dragonreborn
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

she likes to drink strong alcohol on stage. when she came to istanbul she praised the turkish beer with extra alcohol.
    I really advise everyone to go to their concerts (molotov jukebox) So much fun and good music