Spain confirmed as a location for Game of Thrones Season 5
By Lightbringer on in Production.

In May we heard various reports that location scouting had begun in Spain. And now according to a report from Cadena SER, we can say that the country will be officially serving as a backdrop for Game of Thrones Season 5.

In a meeting with the New Economy Forum, James Costos, U.S. ambassador to Spain and former vice president of HBO’s Global Licensing and Retail, confirmed that after subsequent visits to the area, and conversations with various officials, the deal has become final.

The Andalusian region of Spain will join the ranks of Croatia, Iceland, and Northern Ireland to welcome the Game of Thrones cast and crew when filming for Season 5 begins.

No specific locations have been confirmed, but according to Cadena SER’s sources The Alcázar of Seville has been finalized, as the other palatial candidates were ruled out. The Alcázar will serve as the Water Gardens of Dorne, the private residence of House Martell, and it is likely that additional locations have been chosen in a nearby city (or cities) to represent the capital of Dorne, Sunspear.

The Alcázar of Seville is certainly fit for the ruling house of Dorne, as it is the oldest palace still in use in Europe, acting as a part-time residence for the present Spanish royal family. When the royals aren’t in town, the Seville is a popular tourist attraction, known for it’s opulent gardens, cold-water baths, and stunning Moorish architecture.

Baths of Lady María de Padilla, the rainwater cold baths

Baths of Lady María de Padilla, the rainwater cold baths

The Patio de las Doncellas, or The Courtyard of the Maidens

The Patio de las Doncellas, or The Courtyard of the Maidens

The Salon de Embajadores ceiling

The Salon de Embajadores ceiling

Thanks to HBO Watch for the tip.

Update: HBO has now officially confirmed that Season 5 will be filmed in “several natural locations in the Province of Sevilla.” View part of the press release below.

PORTIONS OF GAME OF THRONES’ NEXT SEASON TO BE SHOT IN PROVINCE OF SEVILLA

HBO is pleased to confirm that a portion of season five of GAME OF THRONES will be shot on several natural locations in the Province of Sevilla. Specifics on the locations will be announced closer to the time of production.

This filming, set to take place later this year, is being done in full collaboration with the Andalucía Film Commission through their president, Don Carlos Rosado, the Sevilla Film Office and the mayor of Sevilla, Don Juan Ignacio Zoido, and the Osuna Film Office and the mayoress, Doña Rosario Andújar.

Providing production services in Spain is Peter Welter Soler with Fresco Film Services. CANAL+ is the broadcaster of GAME OF THRONES in Spain.

1. King DBC
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Casting Spain as Dorne is one of the best castings yet!

2. dragonreborn
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

yay!

3. Tao
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

HODOR

4. chamush
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Like what? They are going to film a minute and half of next season there?

5. Darkstar
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Sand Snakes!!!!!!!

6. Lyn
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

OMG OMG Nikolaj is coming to my country. I’m crying of joy lol.

7. Patchy Face
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Not exactly casting news – but good, good.

8. dude
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Looks like dorne is going to be quite important for the endgame of the show since its clearly being invested in I wonder if we will ever get casterly rock storms end or highgarden

9. Ashara D
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

YAY! This looks great! Do you think that they will CGI alter that ceiling to display the sun and spear? Would be cool.

10. Croat
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Any rumors about Kingsmoot location?

11. LittleFlower
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

So happy about this! This site is how I always imagined Dorne.

12. Clob
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Lyn:
    OMG OMG Nikolaj is coming to my country. I’m crying of joy lol.

Can somebody remind me again why people think Jaime is going to Dorne?

13. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Excelente…En mi opinión El Alcázar es uno de los lugares más hermosos en todo el mundo. ¡Viva España!

14. Mister Stoneheart
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!!!!! Can’t wait. The interiors are fantastic.

15. Kyle
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Croat:
    Any rumors about Kingsmoot location?

A location near Ballintoy Harbor is the prevailing rumor. See http://imgur.com/gallery/y25qq/new

16. Arkash
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Clob: Can somebody remind me again why people think Jaime is going to Dorne?

17. Jon Blackfyre
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

have they said anything for a casting for Arianne

18. Darquemode
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Clob,

Some of the scenes run for casting involved Jaime or Bronn interacting with the Sand Snakes. And there was the rumor/ spoiler that Obarra will fight a different character than in the books, an already established regular cast member.

19. Chloe
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Will Iceland be a location for Season 5?

20. Jon
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Great news, Spain’s Beautiful.

21. Arkash
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Chloe:
    Will Iceland be a location for Season 5?

Most probably. But in summer again I think.

It offers different landscapes than Ireland, it diversifies the show a lot.

22. Turncloak
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Clob,

The audition leak of Obara states that Jaime is in Dorne. The audition of Tyene hints at a scene with Bronn. This ties in nicely to the previous leak from wic that Obara will fight a series regular. So expect Jaime and Bronn in Dorne on a mission from Cersei to kidnap princess Myrcella

23. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Looks like a perfect location. Is it just me or is casting news coming late this year? It might be all in my head.

24. H. Stark
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Any word from HBO?

25. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Arkash: Cause in the leaked Tyene audition scene, she mentions the Kingslayer was spotted in Dorne.

And the fact D & D said Jaime’s almost finished building his jetpack.

26. ramsayreek
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

dude,

Well GRRM did say that Casterly Rock would be seen through a POV character (my guess is Cersei) in the next book.

This picture looks like a combination of sunspear and the water gardens to me.

27. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Finally it is confirmed, great news, after Croatia, Spain is my second favorite on location filming spot.
    Now for casting, I bet that one of the Sand Snakes and/or Doran/Trystane will be a Spanish actor, probably part of the deal. If I were head of the Spanish Arts and Science’s government office I would include it as part of the negotiations. You really want the Royal Alcázar of Seville, then you must also cast one or more of our actors for roles.

28. Greenjones
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Aha! Lovely news.

Arkash,

It was the Obara one that mentioned Jaime. But Bronn himself featured in the Tyene audition, so it does prove that the two go on their detour.

29. the other guy
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Definitely a good location for the water gardens, season 5 is looking good so far. Now we need some infos about the Greyjoy uncles (minus Aeron, nobody cares about the damphair).

Oh, and some LS hints please. I want to watch an ASOIAF adaptation in 2015, not a fan fiction with major characters cut. Thanks.

30. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

We won’t be seeing any of the Alcázar of Seville until April 12th of next year at the earliest. My prediction for the airing date of episode 5+01 is April 12th, because April 5th is the NCAA Basketball Championship game and HBO will avoid the competition. Furthermore my prediction for Cersei being arrested is the episode airing on May 10th, Mother’s Day.

31. Abyss
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Was there a leaked Tyene audition?! I only know of Obara and Trystane. Can you provide a link?

32. House Mormont
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

They can afford to film in a royal palace in a new country??? In the same season as Daznak’s Pit?? I guess that mean the budget for season 5 is huuuuge

33. House Mormont
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

PS is Braavos being filmed in a new location?

34. Greenjones
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

There was but like the other ones it’s been deleted off Vimeo. The girl’s performance was pretty bad, but I wrote a transcript of it on AFOIAF that apparently some sites have posted. Here’s someone’s repost of it (with other bits of info too) on a closed thread on AFOIAF.

35. Isabelle
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    Not exactly casting news – but good, good.

I don’t know–sometimes these cities and countries seem like characters themselves! : )

Can’t wait to see Dorne!

36. Wingmutt
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face,

Dude. They just cast DORNE.

37. Abyss
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Thanks for the transcript, shame I missed the actual video…

38. Greenjones
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

You didn’t miss much really. The girl’s accent was really bad and she didn’t act it too well either. The guy reading with her was no Jerome Flynn either. I’d prefer to read it to myself picturing a Bronn line delivery.

BTW, before someone says, I wasn’t saying that that post on AFOIAF was mine. I first wrote the transcript on a different thread under the name Konradsmith.

39. Hyu
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Ireland? Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom. Also Scotland in the U.K. was used in the pilot which a few scenes are still used.

Lightbringer not mentioning Malta and Morocco in those “ranks.” Also United States where the bear pit was filmed.

40. ColdPie
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

strokememarge,

Why do you think the national championship would be a Sunday? Final four is always a Saturday and finals are on Monday.

41. Abyss
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Another interesting titbit I found in the thread is that apparently Gendry is coming back in season 5, don’t know if the source can be trusted though. – What do you think?

42. Cian
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Small, nitpicky correction, Lightbringer, but the show isn’t filmed in Ireland. It’s filmed in Northern Ireland – they’re both separate countries!

43. Greenjones
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Abyss,

Well, they’d have to give him something original to do because he’s been moved pretty far away from where he’d be in book canon. It’s possible, I guess and since he was in the main cast in s3, I assume they have some sort of contract with him.

44. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Abyss,

He’ll still be in the boat, asking for directions.

45. Abyss
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Could be that he made it to KL and we get to know more about the small folk through him. That would make a certain amount of sense, given all the stuff with the Sparrows is probably coming soon or later.

46. sayu
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Hyu:

Ireland is an island, which is politically divided into the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. So yeah, GoT is filmed ON Ireland.. but not IN Ireland :P

47. The_Fountain_That_Hides
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Am I the only one who thinks it’s weird that the former VP of HBO is now an ambassador to Spain? How do those two jobs translate?

48. R'hllorShouldResurrectJamiesHand
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Is that picture of the Kingsmoot location legit?

49. Patchy Face
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

The_Fountain_That_Hides,

Probably a big Obama contributor – that is a cake position

50. Patchy Face
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Cian,

Are you required to show passport going between?

51. Wonks Anonymous
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

The_Fountain_That_Hides:

Large campaign donors are frequently appointed to such positions, under the assumption that career civil servants will do the actual work. It’s not even that unique for someone from the entertainment industry to become a diplomat. Shirley Temple rather famously became the ambassador to Czechoslovakia, although by that time she’d already been a U.N representative and ambassador to Ghana.

52. Abyss
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink
  53. Earfuin
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

You should change all the “Cadena” mentions for “Cadena SER”. It sounds weird because, in Spanish, “Cadena” means network (as in broadcast network). The actual name of your source is “Cadena SER”, that is, SER Network. I had to click the link to learn which “cadena” you were referring to.

Aside from that, wonderful news! I was partial to Cordoba’s Alcazar that has some magnificent (water) gardens but the architecture of Sevilla’s Alcazar is more spectacular and I think it’s going to look gorgeous on film.

54. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

ColdPie,

I forgot that, my bad, I was looking at April 4 6 on schedule and thought it meant 4 thru 6 not 4 and 6.

We need a casting post for the Sand Snakes, it is July and casting can be released anytime now. What’s the fun of just hearing the news instead of speculating, come on.

My choice of a Snake is Maria Valverde, Spanish actor. You can see her at the cineplex later this year, she is cast in Exodus as Moses better half. Unless they are going the incest route and have Indira Varma’s Miriam as his lover.

55. Cian
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Patchy Face:
    Cian,

Are you required to show passport going between?

56. Swordpen
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Spain is perfect. Absolutely perfect. Can’t wait for Doran, Sand Snakes, and revenge. Spoiler tagged, just in case.

I don’t remember, is GoT still filming in Iceland for the North scenes in Season 5? I’ve been to Iceland and my hubby and I had a lot of fun guessing and recognizing the locations in Season 4.

57. humlan
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Cian: No, but I don’t see how that’s relevant. I live in the Republic of Ireland (commonly referred to as “Ireland”). The show is not filmed here. The studios are in Belfast, Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland is not Ireland, nor vice-versa.

58. Cian
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

humlan: The actual physical island landmass is actually named Ireland. So Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are located on Ireland.

I get that, but that’s not what the common interpretation of the word “Ireland” is. When most people over here hear/see “Ireland”, they immediately think of the Republic. The other filming countries listed were named correctly, so it’s only fair to give Northern Ireland its fair claim to the show. It has been edited now anyway, though.

59. House Mormont
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Cian,

Just tell them that Mexico must be called America then and they’ll understand

60. Josla
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Such great news! The Alcazar looks fantastic for the water gardens. I was unaware of Tyene’s audition tape too and loved reading it. Thanks to the person who provided the link. A few things can be inferred by reading it, in my opinion, including the fact that Bronn’s character will be fleshed out even further, as well as the sand snakes. Also this possibly means some sexy time is coming for Bronn and Tyene and possibly Mircella and Trystane (I hope he doesn’t take Aryanne’s or Quentyn’s place). Hopefully Doran will be fleshed out too. The Dorne storyline is looking good so far imo. Can’t way to see how it’ll play out

61. Daenerys Naharis
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I’m quite sure Arianne is NOT cut. They’ve probably already chosen an actress, some big shot, so they’re keeping quiet. Haha! Super excited!

62. Josla
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Daenerys Naharis: Why do I feel like Arianne would seduce Jaime instead of Ser Arys? I dunno. But I still feel they won’t cut Ser Arys, since there was a Kingsguard behind Myrcella when she was shipped off to Dorne. I dunno. lol.

I was thinking Bronn, since he’s flirting with Tyene which probably means she is going to be the one seducing him instead of Arianne. Hope not since that would mean he’s probably going to die next season

63. Isabelle
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Abyss:
    OT:
    Best wishes to the new married couple. :D

Awwwwwwwwwwww! That’s lovely–and probably the happiest Thrones-related wedding ever!

Thanks for the link!

64. chamush
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Didnt we just finish season 4 with 2 main characters sailing to Essos? where are they going to shoot scenes for Tyrion and Arya who will be a BIG portion of the show ?

Spain will be used for that!

Its super strange how everyone is so excited about Dorne! We were only introduced to the first character from there this past season, how does it make sense for the show to now moves to a new location with characters we have never seen before?

Cmon people! Think!!!

65. Sean C.
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

chamush:

Spain will be used for that!

Cmon people! Think!!!

The locations being scouted here aren’t like anything we see in Tyrion or Arya’s story, and they are perfectly in keeping with the show’s version of Dorne, which is clearly meant to be based on Andalusia.

66. Brodor
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I’m dying for some season 5 casting news! Ahhhhh! Hope the rumor on the Kingsmoot is true

67. Daenerys Naharis
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Josla,

Ah, that’s possible, too. But I’ve seen an interview with Jerome Flynn and he said he probably won’t be in the next season, but he’d want to return. And he looked kinda sad when he said it. :(

68. Daenerys Naharis
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

chamush,

Most people who were excited are the book readers because they know how badass Dorne is. And everyone’s excited to see Oberyn’s family. So, yeah. I guess that explains the hype. For Tyrion and Arya’s storyline, I don’t think they need such grand locations. Err, not sure. And Dorne’s image is close to Hispanic culture, I think. So, that’s why people associate this location to Dorne.

69. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Sean C.,

Well Tyrion is going to Volantis (I think they will skip the Apocalypse Now arc) and of course so is Vary’s as well (big book change), which means Peter will travel to Croatia again. Same with Maisie, although when she filmed her KL scenes the locale was Malta, therefore this will be Ms Williams first time filming in Croatia. Since Braavos is in a colder climate, I am expecting her to film any exterior shots in November. Concerning exteriors, they need to start shooting exteriors closer to the chilly months, after all WiC and it should start snowing in KL this next season. Sansa’s scenes should also be filmed in the snow, as well as all the NW scenes. Therefore I expect most of the non-Dornish/Meereen stuff to be filmed from late October to early December, with the exception of scenes filmed on sound stages.
    Myself I cannot wait for season six, when almost everything is filmed in the snow, which will present the cinematographer with challenges and opportunities to film absolutely breathtaking visually striking winter shots.

70. madster
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

chamush,

Oh no my dear…got is about to change a hell of a lot more…prince martell didnt have to die in my opinion but since I am not the writer he got killed off in order for some special characters to be introduced….because what you dont realise…is that when you play the game of thrones you either win or die… and everybody is after that throne…people you dont even know exist or people you were lead to believe had died

71. Josla
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Daenerys Naharis: Josla,

Oh but… be apparently will be in next season, the audition tape for Tyene seems to confirm it.

72. madster
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

dude,

Nope

73. RandomSand
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

74. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

strokememarge:
    Sean C.,

75. Josla
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

RandomSand: Just to clarify: I’ve seen the TTyene tape before they took it off. There is no single mention to the other characters in scene, there is the girl reading for tyene and another guy reading the rest of the script. The person who wrote that “transcript” simply assumed the guy was reading as Bronn and Obara, but it was pure ASSUMPTION, it could be literally anyone.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn’t watch the tape so I assumed the information about Bronn came from it. But why would people assume it was him though? I would go and say that there is a possibility he’ll still be in next season, since Lollys is aparenty been cast.

76. Greenjones
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I can totally picture Doran sitting on that balcony looking down at the Water Gardens. Perfect fit.

77. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

madster,

WoW! What brought this on, my use or non use of actors and their character counterpart names. Well if this upsets you that much I will just incorporate their thespian names forthwith, therefore if I digress into fictionalized characters on a blog that discusses an HBO adaption of a make believe world please inform me of my transgression.

78. strokememarge
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

I to am hoping they include Mr Dinklage’s river journey, but alas they won’t have time too if they want to finish in 7 or 8 seasons.

79. House Mormont
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

Tyrion’s ADWD arc was almost as painful to read as Brienne in a AFFC except she only had 4 annoying chapters and he had countless. After reading it I realised Tyrion had never been a good person and it made me rethink my opinion of him In the first three books, and as a result I hate Tyrion.

I hope the show avoids that and keeps me interested in his character. no raping whores and vomiting on them. No abusing jorah. No ridiculous plot armour. No dreaming of a crossbow thrumming. No wondering where whores go. No aspirations to kill Jamie and rape and kill Cersei. No penny. No turtles. Character saved.

80. Turncloak
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

RandomSand:

A few days before the Tyene tape leaked someone on Wic commented that her cousin was auditioning for the role of Tyene. She was very specific on the details of the audition. She also said Bronn was the one in the scene with Tyene. Sure enough the audition played out exactly as she said it would when we saw the leak. If you go to the comments section of the Obara leak video on this website than you can see what I’m talking about. Bronn in Dorne did not come out of thin air

81. Turncloak
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Josla: Thanks for clarifying.I didn’t watch the tape so I assumed the information about Bronn came from it. But why would people assume it was him though? I would go and say that there is a possibility he’ll still be in next season, since Lollys is aparenty been cast.

Here’s the source that Bronn will also go to Dorne. From the Obara leak comment board on wic. This is before the Tyene video leak. And it plays out exactly to what we saw in the Tyene casting video (before the vid was taken down)

Ol’ Three Eyes
    POSTED JUNE 4, 2014 AT 1:04 PM | PERMALINK
    I know somebody who read for Tyene, and her scene was with Obara, Nym (I think) and BRONN. It was in the place where the older Snakes are imprisoned, so Bronn also makes it to Dorne.

Ol’ Three Eyes
    POSTED JUNE 4, 2014 AT 1:12 PM | PERMALINK
    Turncloak,
    If I recall the scene correctly, Bronn has fought Tyene. Bronn has been injured and poisoned, and Tyene is taunting him with the antidote and generally taking her clothes off.

82. Gatorfisch
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

DORNE!!!!!!I am so excited!!!!!

83. RandomSand
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Yes, I do remember that, I do think it is Bronn, but we can’t be 100% sure, and my biggest problem with that transcript are the Obara lines: there is no indication of the number of people Tyene is talking to and it seems quite unlikely that Obara would deliver a couple of lines and leave out of nowhere or worst, stay and see her sister get naked and seduce someone. I believe there are only two people in that scene. At least it looked like it when I saw the video, wich I remember quite vividly.

Josla,

As Turncloack said, there were rumors, but nothing 100%. Still I do believe it is Bronn… Obara, on the other hand, I’m not so sure. But it is a possibility.
    I hope we get some casting news soon, so excited for season 5!

84. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

chamush:

Spain will be used for that!

Cmon people! Think!!!

Let’s not get too hostile here. There have been some extensive postings on rumored casting of lots of the Dornish characters, and the use of such locales as shown above would conform to the idea of a need for locations that would represent Dorne.

85. Josla
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

Much thanks. That’ll be interesting to watch I think and I’m glad they’d continued to flesh him out. He added so much depth to the kingslanding storyline and he’ll certainly do the same for Dorne. Im all up for it :)

86. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos: I hope they DON’T skip Tyrion’s heart of darkness/ Apocalypse Now arc. It’s the most enjoyable (and evocative) part of the last two books, IMO.

Same here. But I’d be fine if they truncate it to tea with Illyrio and Varys in Pentos, banter with Griff on the boat, Septa Lemore’s boobs, the Stone Men, and his capture by Jorah.

87. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:39 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,
    Greatjon of Slumber,

chamush,

88. Nym sand
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Quentyn and Reghal are coming ……….

89. Nym sand
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ: ArgonathofBraavos,Greatjon of Slumber,I really enjoyed the part with the stone men and the bridge in the fog because it put Tyrion’s long term survival into question and it is still unresolved to this day. He was definitely exposed to gray scale but just because he isn’t showing symptoms doesn’t mean he won’t eventually…so I loved that suspense. BUT I really didn’t like the intro of a maybe fake Targaryon and all that nonsense so late in the game. So I’m torn about whether I want that part to be in it because it means (F)Aegon will be included.chamush,It might not make sense to you but that is what happened in the books…GRRM moved a lot of the story to Dorne and introduced a buttload of new characters. If Dorne is included and obviously it will be, then it must be important to the endgame. So, yeah it doesn’t make sense but thats because we don’t know the whole story yet and D&D do and therefore we are getting Dorne and a few of their characters.

you are right only D and D know what is coming in book 6 and 7 and the ending so this is a reason on why the decided to includ it

90. Greenjones
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:56 am | Permalink

RandomSand,

I wrote the transcript. The leaked audition confirmed the scene description that Turncloak quotes here. That’s not a coincidence. If they were right about the poison and the antidote and the seductive nature of the scene before anyone could’ve had any reference point to make that up, then it stands to reason that they were right about Bronn as well.

Not to mention that the lines are very Bronn-esque. And the reference to him having a good singing voice (I assume he’s just sung the Dornishman’s wife to them) is a reference to his scene with Aremca in Blackwater.

91. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

Well FAegon needs to be introduced since we need to see what Vary’s card to play is. Would he kind of silly if the Golden Company pledges allegiance to just a Eunoch

92. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:04 am | Permalink

RandomSand,

There are 2 separate auditions. One with Tyene and (likely) Bronn and one with Obara and 2 other people (probably nym and tyene)

93. Greenjones
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I was the one who wrote the transcript for the audition that’s been circulated, and it was that post that led me to safely assume that the other voice in the tape is Bronn. Also the fact that the lines are very Bronn-esque and the reference to him singing well, harkening back to the scene in Blackwater.

94. Sista Wrista
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:37 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

Yo concuerdo, Senorita D. Espero visitar una vez mas, y pronto.

Stoked for Dorne!

95. Broken Wolf
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:46 am | Permalink

strokememarge: If I were head of the Spanish Arts and Science’s government office I would include it as part of the negotiations. You really want the Royal Alcázar of Seville, then you must also cast one or more of our actors for roles.

Hopefully the Spanish aren’t quite that nationalistic. Having said that, there are several good actors to pick.

96. Sista Wrista
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

The whole trip only needs to be a couple episodes. We need to see Tyrion has lost his shit; if they go with griff of course we need a bit of development for him- we need dirrrrty Septa Lemore (WHO is she???), and IMO the Stone men and Greyscale- it will link up with Shireens affliction, which the show has yet to really explain, and it will likely prove an important element later. This could all be done in three episodes. Also, we may see a huge turtle… I’m sure GRRM will push for that one.

97. Lyn
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:12 am | Permalink

Broken Wolf,

Is it weird that I’m spanish but don’t really want spanish actors in the show? I just don’t think they would be good in GOT. They are more accustomed to playing more traditional roles and when some of them have gone to Hollywood the result has been terrible. Idk I hope some spanish actor proves me wrong and does a spectacular performance but up until then I will be wary.

98. Cian
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:52 am | Permalink

House Mormont:
    Cian,

Just tell them that Mexico must be called America then and they’ll understand

I would never have thought of this. A perfect comparison.

99. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 5:34 am | Permalink

Oh Argonath, just thinking about Joseph Conrad novels makes me feel ill. I had to endure reading “The Rover” and “Nostromo” as set books at school and doing so cured me of ever wanting to read any of Mr Conrad’s works ever again. (Just in case anybody wonders about the reference Joseph Conrad was the author of “Heart of Darkness” on which “Apocolypse Now” was very loosely based). I agree the show-runners if they are at least to remain loyal to the spirit of the books should show Tyrion being “in a bad place” internally though if it’s possible to do so without patterning themselves on works of Joseph Conrad I would be pleased.

Turning to the confirmation of Spain as a location for filming the series, I only ever got to see the Costa Brava part of Spain (stony beaches and too many other English tourists a lot of ‘em drunk) though that is a long time ago. That is not the “real” Spain I realise. The pictures that were posted of the sites that were being investigated in the earlier post speculating about Spain as a GoT site look lovely though as does the one at the head of this feature. The Latino/a actors I know of are the famous ones (e.g. Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas) so no doubt the names of the people cast as the Dornish will be new to me. Well I can think of Santiago Cabrera (who played Lancelot in “Merlin” but he’s quite anglicised) – I’m mentioning him as a Latino actor that I know of – not saying that he has anything to do with GoT.

100. GaiusB
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Lyn,

I am not spanish, but i want spanish actors for exact reason you do not want them – their experience with traditional roles. Because alternative is those roles will be cast with american actors as auditions leaks suggest and they often feel out of place in the Middle Age setting. Sure Pedro Pascal was great as Oberyn, but for whole family/region it would be better if we get a spanish vibe and not an american vibe.

101. H. Stark
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:46 am | Permalink

Official confirmation from Andalucia Film Commission

102. Dragonslayer
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:55 am | Permalink

I think that there is a strong evidence that Jamie & Bronn will go to Dorne. However, we should not read too much into the leaked audition tapes – last year many people believed that there would be a scene between Tormund, Styr and Mance based beyond the wall based on Styr’s audition.

103. johnnytata
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:31 am | Permalink

water gardens bitches!!

104. Arriba
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:35 am | Permalink

On OndaCero, another Radio Network, they said this morning that the crew is also going to film on a bullring in Osuna and a battle on the Almeria Desert

105. caliope
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Oh MY GOD! My country!!! ¡VIVA ESPAÑA! Welcome Game Of Thrones!!!

106. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Dragonslayer:
    I think that there is a strong evidence that Jamie & Bronn will go to Dorne. However, we should not read too much into the leaked audition tapes– last year many people believed that there would be a scene between Tormund, Styr and Mance based beyond the wall based on Styr’s audition.

Umm what? There was no such audition tape last year. Last year’s audition tape was one with Styr talking about “eating crows” Which was used word for word in the actual show

107. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Greenjones:
    Turncloak,

It was not you who came up with Bronn first. It was Ol’ Three eyes. I even copied her post.

She leaked the info that Bronn would have a scene with Tyene days before the audition came out

108. Dolorous Ned
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Arriba,

Omg, Daznak’s pit :D
    I wonder how far they’ll get into Dany’s storyline

109. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Lyn:
    Broken Wolf,

This comment is utterly ignorant. I’m not specially fond of the spanish in general but their actors are top notch…only issue would be the accent (although not so much with younger generations) but in this case the accent would actually work on their favor

What actors do you have in mind when you say “the result has been terrible”?? Terrible in what aspect?

110. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

GaiusB:
    Lyn,

Yes because spanish actors live in castles and talk in verse…really people

111. strokememarge
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Arriba,

Awesome news, GoT to film at the same place made famous by the great Spaghetti westerns. Maybe Nina can ask Mr. Eastwood for a cameo appearance.

Speaking of casting, where are the casting speculation posts, time is ticking away.

112. Abyss
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Dolorous Ned,

Yeah, that’s most likely it. Very exciting stuff!

113. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia:

Turning to the confirmation of Spain as a location for filming the series, I only ever got to see the Costa Brava part of Spain (stony beaches and too many other English tourists a lot of ‘em drunk) though that is a long time ago.That is not the “real” Spain I realise.The pictures that were posted of the sites that were being investigated in the earlier post speculating about Spain as a GoT site look lovely though as does the one at the head of this feature.The Latino/a actors I know of are the famous ones (e.g. Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas) so no doubt the names of the people cast as the Dornish will be new to me.Well I can think of Santiago Cabrera (who played Lancelot in “Merlin” but he’s quite anglicised) – I’m mentioning him as a Latino actor that I know of – not saying that he has anything to do with GoT.

Lol thankyou for saying the Costa Brava is not the “real Spain” :P

Regarding Banderas, Cruz, Bardem etc being Latinos they’re not,not really… they’re spanish. Latino comes from latin-americans, wich refers to a cultura/racial mix of europeans and amerindians ;)

114. Josla
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Arriba:

115. Arkash
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Josla,

Daznak’s Pit is the most visual moment of Dany’s arc coming ahead. It will surely be this season.

Especially when D&D probably want to be done with Feast and Dance after season 5 for most characters I think.

116. Ramona Fernandez
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Cian,

Small nitpicky point: northern Ireland was stolen from the Irish and the whole freaking thing is one island. Northern Ireland IS Ireland if you have any historical memory and/or sympathy for the suffering of the Irish under the British.

117. ArgonthofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Ramona Fernandez:
    Cian,

Good Lord, you think this is a “nitpicky” point? Thousands of people have lived and died fighting over this point, and it’s not one that should be so lightly made on an entertainment message board. Let’s stick to Game of Thrones and fictional conflicts here. And let’s stick to current political realities when describing places, if possible. Northern Ireland is currently a part of the UK, and despite perennial tensions, the conflict in Northern Ireland has been settled by a political resolution. Let’s not re-create “the Troubles” on an entertainment message board. We have a common interest in Game of Thrones, and it’s worth communicating around that interest, and not poisoning the atmosphere with idle talk about very recent historical memory.

118. Ramona
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Except that when someone comes to the USA with a “Spanish/Latino” name s/he is lumped in racially with Latino stereotypes. Everything about Bardem, et.al. in Hollywood screams Latino and they play ‘Latino/a’ parts.

Lots of racial overtones in both the writing of Dorne and the responses here. I am sad to see so many historically insensitive comments and borderline insulting too.

119. Ramona
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

ArgonthofBraavos,

You seem to have deliberately misunderstood the nature of my comment. And on top of that, you are policing what I have to say. Fans like to point out that GOT is based on historical struggles and this is the reason women are treated the way they are, etc., etc., but heaven forbid someone point out an historical reality about Ireland.

Sorry to mess with your fantasy world, but all of us reading and watching have different readings of what is important and what is not.

Does every GOT board have trolls who want to police what others say?

What a narrow minded and one dimensional way to approach fiction which is ALWAYS a reflection of the world we live in.

120. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano: Regarding Banderas, Cruz, Bardem etc being Latinos they’re not,not really… they’re spanish. Latino comes from latin-americans, wich refers to a cultural/racial mix of europeans and amerindians ;)

Oh I didn’t realise that. I thought the word arose because Spanish (like French, Italian, Portuguese and Romanian) is a language which evolved from Latin. Thanks for the clarification. I guess I shouldn’t be too hard on the “Costa Brava” because there may be a few enclaves where there actually a few Spanish still living. Of course they may go with actors who are from South or Central America (like Pedro Pascal was born in Chile though I think he was but a child when his family moved to the United States).

121. ArgonthofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ:
    ArgonathofBraavos,
    Greatjon of Slumber,
    I really enjoyed the part with the stone men and the bridge in the fog because it put Tyrion’s long term survival into question and it is still unresolved to this day.He was definitely exposed to gray scale but just because he isn’t showing symptoms doesn’t mean he won’t eventually…so I loved that suspense.BUT I really didn’t like the intro of a maybe fake Targaryon and all that nonsense so late in the game.So I’m torn about whether I want that part to be in it because it means (F)Aegon will be included.

chamush,
    It might not make sense to you but that is what happened in the books…GRRM moved a lot of the story to Dorne and introduced a buttload of new characters.If Dorne is included and obviously it will be, then it must be important to the endgame. So, yeah it doesn’t make sense but thats because we don’t know the whole story yet and D&D do and therefore we are getting Dorne and a few of their characters.

And yes, I want to see huge turtles!

122. ArgonthofBraavos
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Ramona:
    ArgonthofBraavos,

Does every GOT board have trolls who want to police what others say?

I didn’t say that we cannot discuss ways in which ASOIAF reflects historical, cultural and human truths in the real world, I was objecting to how idly, casually, callously and irresponsibly you referenced the historical conflict over Northern Ireland, which has only very recently been settled (assuming that the political settlement holds, which seems very likely).

You very flippantly suggested that people who clarify that Northern Ireland is currently separate from the Republic of Ireland either have “no historical memory” or “no sympathy for the suffering of the Irish under the British.”

Yet despite your very simplistic view of the subject, it’s far more complicated than you think, and you should be far more careful about HOW you discuss it. There are very real, open wounds that people still have about the conflict, and some people here may have family and friends, on either side of the conflict, who were harmed or killed.

So please do draw parallels between ASOIAF and our world. I have done the same a number of times. But try to do so in a way that isn’t either insulting or inflammatory.

Shouting “you know nothing!” To people who probably know a lot more about the subject than you (and may have a personal connection to it) is probably not a recipe for civil discourse.

123. Arriba
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Apparently the filming in Spain will start in October

124. Tatters
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

House Mormont,

I seriously hope they doesnt whitewash Tyrion.
    Extremely shitty.

125. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

ArgonthofBraavos: I also hate the introduction of F(Aegon). Felt like a very poor contrivance designed to make this part of the story more explicitly relevant to the struggle over the Iron Throne. Seems simple enough to remove F(Aegon), and keep the other Tyrion material (and I might add in response to Dame that she’s the first person I’ve met who didn’t at least appreciate “Heart of Darkness).”

And yes, I want to see huge turtles!

It is in keeping with GRRM’s way that the baby would have survived somehow. I find Jon Connington the more problematic character. He’s barely – barely – mentioned in any of the first three books at all, and so he’s very much a ret-con “Oh remember this guy who was Hand before Tywin? Yeah, that one?” kind of bullshit invention, and I’d rather have Strong Belwas than him.

That said, I think we are getting (F)Aegon in the show. Because if he matters in the books, the show set it up in “The Laws of Gods and Men” with the Oberyn/Varys conversation about power in front of the Iron Throne. Varys says the lack of sexual desire frees him for other things, and when Oberyn asks what that could be, Varys nods toward the throne, and walks off. Given even what people who only watch the show know of Varys, it’s clear that *he* himself does not desire the throne – so he’s talking of someone else. And sure, it could be that he’s talking of Daenarys, but to openly suggest the possibility of treason given her rise in the east does not make much sense.

126. queenofthorns
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Tatters,

Seems likely they will, they’ve whitewashed literally every one of his morally dubious/evil actions and highlighteed and/or invented the morally righteous ones. It used to piss me off, but given how much I hate Book!Tyrion in ADWD I honestly don’t mind too much.

127. loco73
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

This is fucking awesome news! Ohhhh, Spain is soo beautiful! I was lucky enough to go to Spain on vacation a few years ago, and I’ll never forget it!

Especially places like Granada, Sevilla, Malaga! The south of Spain offers its own specific flavour!

And if the Alhambra ends up as one of the shooting locations, oh man that will be awesome! I went to see it and it’s hard to describe how amazing it is! The words stone lacework come to mind…pictures don’t do it justice most of the time!

This will be a perfect location for Dorne and “Game Of Thrones”! Hey who knows maybe they’ll be even able to sneak in a flash back scene with Pedro Pascal aka Prince Oberyn the Red Viper of Dorne! If Drogo came back, why not Oberyn, even for a brief moment?

And off topic…yes I will take the advice of the add at the bottom of the site, I will date and marry a rich woman, after all it wouldn’t be that bad! I can add to my resume…”Game Of Thrones fan and kept manwhore…”

128. Sunfyre
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Unless they decide to skip Aegon entirely and simplify things by having Varys and Illyrio back Dany. Not saying I want this but think of how much cleaner and simpler the story would be if all of the focus is on Daenarys and the sides are delineated clearly. Less complex but potentially better for a seven-season television show.

129. Turncloak
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Josla: Mmm… interesting that the bull ring looks so similar to the fighting pits… wait, what? Can we then assume Danny is going to ride a dragon next season? wouldn’t that be too soon for it to happen next season? I hope I’m right though since that scene is a favorite of mine and I’d love to see it on my screen next season

How would that be too soon? The show will be over in 7 seasons. Season 5 needs to cover all of books 4 and 5 in order to have any hope of accomplishing that feat. Season 6 will cover TWOW. Season 7 will be ADOS

130. Josla
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

I don’t know why but I just expected that to be part of season 6 since we havent got the plot with the harpy and all the conflicts around it yet. Not to mention Dany and Daario hasn’t developed yet and then there’s the pale mare plot and, oh… I just remembered: who’s going to betray her now since Brown Ben Plumm was cut? I assumed that was a lot to take place in a season but as I stated in my previous post I’m up for it. I think Drogon at the pit would make for a great season finale if they indeed use it to end her arc. Hopefully they will.

131. fire and blood
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

I strongly agree with you..I’ve always felt that they would cut Connington in favor of replacing him with Illyrio or Varys for the shows purpose

132. Josla
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Oh and I forgot about Quentin and probably other stuff as well. That’s why I didn’t expect it this season. It’ll be great however if they include her whole arc from those two books. That’ll make her storyline next season absolutely amazing. I can’t why to see that. I have a complaint however in the way they’ve been treating Dany since there’s little character development for her anymore while they’re beefing up Missandei and Grey Worm instead

I’m still bitter at the fact that they omitted her kiss with Jorah. I know many people here consider it a meaningless moment but for me it was important as it would help develop both her and Jorah’s characters. The internal conflicts each character would have had after that intimate moment could have made them feel more human. She is need of the kind of scenes they show runners give Tyrion all the time. Scenes in which he expresses his feelings to other people in words and perhaps an intimate moment with her bear would have helped imo. They let that ship sail however and I really wonder why.

133. strokememarge
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Arriba,

Obviously so filming doesn’t interfere with summer tourism and has the least impact on that part of the economy. It’s also good for Spain because GoT fans will plan vacations there during the off season whilst filming is ongoing which increases revenue’s for those weeks.

134. fuelpagan
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: If we are getting (F)aegon, I still think he can be worked in on the boat by aging him up to 18, making it seem as if Illyrio has been hiding him for some time, and dispense with Connington altogether.

Since the show is a lot looser with plot holes, Connington could be cut, but I think it would be a mistake. The word of Varys is untrustworthy in Westeros and Illyrio’s word is meaningless in Westeros. Connington’s reputation of being honorable is what will lead supporters into believing fAegon is the real Aegon. What still needs to be explained is how Connington was tricked. I have no doubt JC thinks Young Griff is the real deal. I think he won’t be cut. He plays a small but pivotal role.

I think fAegon is more important to the story than many realize. It’s important to remember who Bloodraven’s original enemies were. By whom the Golden Company was founded and for what purpose? And why upon seeing the sword fAegon was carrying did the Golden Company objections cease? The game Varys and Illyrio are playing is a much older one than what we’ve seen so far.

135. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,
    ArgonthofBraavos,

They definitely set up something in that episode but why it has to be (F)Aegon that Varys backs I don’t understand.

Varys gesture didn’t have to refer to powers beyond Westeros…after all, he is the spymaster and already a power behind the throne. So one could interpret the gesture to mean the position he already occupies. But we, having read the books, suspect that there is more to it than that and even if Oberyn took that meaning from it too, he hated the Lannisters so much, he wouldn’t have ratted on Varys to them. In fact, Oberyn would have been delighted to think someone who is that close to the Lannisters is also betraying them.

I honestly don’t see how they can include (F)Aegon and finish in 7 seasons….Dany has to learn to control the dragons and ride them, control Meereen, get the rest of the Slaver’s Bay cities in order, get a large enough fleet of ships, etc. Not to mention all the other (basic) story lines that probably need to move forward and intersect.

136. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Turncloak,

137. Sunfyre
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Cutting Aegon would be a case of doing what is best for the show. Think of the anticipation that would build once Varys, Tyrion, and many of the important Dornish characters are on Team Dany. GRRM is telling a far more complex story of course. His story is messier, more difficult, more real. But I don’t think if they choose to go this route that they are dumbing down the show. They likely couldn’t do GRRM’s version justice so better to simplify and nail it than try to include everything and fail miserably.

This all leads me to speculate that Quentyn may truly be cut. His storyline drives a potential wedge between the Martell’s and Dany. By cutting it out they can establish the alliance between Dany and Dorne. It’s a massive change but it could definitely work.

But if they do decide to keep the storyline as in the books and include Aegon, Connington, etc. I won’t be disappointed. Just hope they can pull it off in seven seasons.

138. fuelpagan
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ: I disagree. Varys could back Dany instead. And there are all kinds of ways the Golden Company could be brought into the fold. I just really didn’t like the introduction of a “new” contender for the Throne so late in the game. But we’ll have to wait and see what they do.

fAegon is more important to the story than you realize. There is a reason Varys is backing him instead of Dany. “Beneath the gold the bitter steel.” If Varys was going to back Dany, there was no reason to actually deliver the pardon about Jorah. It’s not like anyone else with Tywin’s ear could say it wasn’t delivered. Why press this issue of Dany to the small council in the first place? ;)

139. Luka Nieto Garay
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

GaiusB,

That’s literally the most ridiculously offensive thing I heard today, and I’m pretty sure you didn’t do it on purpose, which is quite an acomplishment. You know we have electricity, right? And talk like modern people? And have a modern culture? How exactly are Spanish actors more suited than Americans to play “traditional”, “Middle Ages” roles? What a silly idea.

140. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

fuelpagan,

Those are all good points. I always wondered if Varys wasn’t somehow supporting Dany all along because Illyrio gave Dany the dragon eggs and helped Dany and her brother quite a lot. And we know Illyrio and Varys were conspiring together. But then we came to understand just how against magic Varys is. That got me to thinking, if he’s so anti-magic, the thought of dragons being re-introduced into the world must terrify him!? And then we read about(F)Aegon…and that sowed further doubt into my theory that Varys supported Dany. BUT there are other ways to look at the info that still supports my theory.

Varys is most likely the one who saved Dany and her brother. Varys wanted Dany to have the eggs and had Illyrio give them to Dany. Varys might be anti-magic but perhaps it’s not that simple. Maybe he’s just anti-magic he can’t control. By being the one who orchestrated Dany’s escape from Westeros as a baby and the one who gave her the eggs, Dany, when she finds out, will be incredibly grateful to him, more likely to trust him. Also, it cost Varys nothing to get rid of Jorah and it would fulfill his obligation to Tywin–that’s why he went ahead with the letter. It may hurt Dany in the short run but she had Ser Barristan and maybe Varys thought Barristan would be good enough until a replacement adviser could be found (like himself? Tyrion?). As for why he’d support both (F)Aegon AND Dany, there could be a couple of reasons for that. First he’s hedging his bets. As long as he ends up with one Targaryan he’s still good. But, of course, having two is better — this assumes that (F)Aegon is not fake at all or that he’s confident he can trick everyone into believing he’s legit. Second, having (F)Aegon go to Westeros before Dany might actually help her and may have been intended all along as well. (F)Aegon’s return destabilizes Westeros all that much more and will pull Dorne into opposing the Lannisters openly (something Dorne had avoided for a long time). It also plants the seed in everyone’s mind that there might be other Targaryans out there with an even better claim to the throne–if (Aegon lives, maybe Dany or her brother could be alive). Plus, Dany has gotten stalled in Meereen. Having (F)Aegon go before her may finally be the thing that gets her off her butt to make a move towards Westeros…wanting to make her claim before he can do so. I don’t know if Varys would have intended that since he had no way of knowing she’d ever conquer Meereen and get stuck there but it may work to get her moving–maybe that’s why GRRM created (F)Aegon in the first place as a way to get out of his Meereenese knot. Third, supporting (F)Aegon would have been a great distraction for LF. I have no proof for this but what if (F)Aegon was meant to draw LF’s attention at precisely the same time that Dany comes into her own and is ready to return to Westeros? I could see LF supporting (F)Aegon with the hopes of manipulating him and taking him away from Varys, gaining more power than ever and then at the right moment Varys reveals that he’s a fake, destroying LF and helping to legitimize Dany all that much more.

I think that eventually (F)Aegon will be exposed as not being a true Targaryan via some “test” and when that happens, Dany can step forward and take the same “test” and be able to definitively prove she’s the real deal winning over the people of Westeros (same with Jon BTW…I think he’ll experience the same “test” but inadvertently and that’s how his parentage will begin to be revealed and/or Varys will tell him the truth because I suspect Varys is the only one left alive who knows that little tidbit). Basically I think that Varys’ support of him was an intentional red herring all along.

So I am clinging stubbornly to my theory until D&D/GRRM prove otherwise. :)

141. GaiusB
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 4:47 am | Permalink

Luka Nieto Garay,

Geez, what a reaction. My comment was not against Spaniards at all. I have no idea why would you think that. In contrary. My point was just that generally European actors (including Spaniards) are better in playing such roles, because they have experience with such roles and they understand cultural context. US actors do not have such experience, especially not latina actresses, who usually play some stereotypical latino roles or hot chicks in sci-fi genre.

Now i suspect some US posters would attack me instead for stating of facts….Really between unreasonable personal hostility and fansided stuff, this site is becoming less cool then it used to be.

142. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia: there may be a few enclaves where there actually a few Spanish still living.

GaiusB:
    Luka Nieto Garay,

What roles? What experience? Is not like spanish film more “fantasy” or “period” productions than the americans. Is actually quite the opposite. What cultural context? Dragons? Better at playing those roles because 500y ago there used to be castles here? Really, you underestimate the ability of actors in general. It all comes down on how good an actors is, not where he comes from…

143. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano: Lol you make it sound like only foreigners live there!! At the Costa Brava it’s mainly catalans locals living there of course, “guiris” only come in summer ;)

Fair point. If one comes as a “guiri” (I hope that’s not a swear word – I know a little Spanish but I’m not at the state of, say, analysing plays by de Lorca) one does not really meet many Spanish, some I recall were people from other parts of Spain who tried to sponge off the tourists (I don’t know the Spanish for “take a nine mile hike off an eight mile pier”) and at places like Lloret de Mar the Spanish, or Catalans, seem to be an endangered species, though I guess the work in hotels and bars is largely done by Spanish. Some British people have second homes in Spain, though I am not in that budget range. I did read something once that Catalans think of themselves as Catalan primarily rather than Spanish. I remember something vaguely from one of the wars in history that the Catalans supported the British during one war (I think the War of Captain Jenkins’ Ear) and then were abandoned after the peace was brokered.

144. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 6:20 am | Permalink

GaiusB:
    Luka Nieto Garay,

As a European I would say that I have found Peter Dinklage’s and Pedro Pascal’s portrayals of their characters satisfactory, although Mr Dinklage’s American accent does slip through occasionally, but it is not really so bad. Over the years there have been some portrayals of “English” accents on American shows which make us laugh in the UK (Dick Van Dyke’s cockney accent in “Mary Poppins”, Daphne’s fiance in “Frasier” and some of the knights of the Round Table in “Camelot” having American/Canadian accents in Dark Ages Britain come to mind). I’m sure there have been British actors who have done awful American accents at times but of course being British it is harder for me to spot those. Speaking for myself, I could accept it if they cast an alien from planet Zug in a role, provided the actor played the part convincingly.

145. fuelpagan
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

I don’t blame you for sticking to your theory. :)

Red herrings are beliefs you have after first reading the book that later turn out to be false. Not theories that come from dissecting the clues provided. Those are simply theories that, if false, are simple incorrect theories, not Red herrings. Jon Snow is Ned’s bastard son could be a Red herring. The Lannister’s killed Jon Arryn is a red herring. Young Griff is Aegon Targaryen could be a Red herring. It’s the obvious direction the book is trying to lead reader. The problem is that until the Author presents the truth, we don’t know that it is truly a red herring.

IMO the red herring in this case is Varys being a Targaryen loyalist. On the surface, before DwD, that appeared to be the case. But in SoS, Stannis tells Davos, “Ser Barristan once told me the rot in King Aerys’s reign began with Varys. The eunuch should never have been pardoned.” Why would Barristan think this? Why would Robert pardon Varys? He is useful to be sure, but the danger for allowing Varys to stick around would be too risky unless you think he was on your side. That’s when I realized Varys was probably feeding Robert and Ned intelligence. Now this could simply be Varys trying to save his own neck, but with Barristan saying the rot began with Varys, this leads me to think it was a conscious decision on his part.

Once you accept Aegon was a part of GRRM’s plan all along, and not something created to solve a problem in Dance, you will start to see how Varys wasn’t actually helping Dany. Varys never planned on Barristan becoming part of her kingsguard. Barristan and Belwas were tasked with bringing Dany and her dragons back home for fAegon. Barristan was meant to be part of Aegon’s kingsguard. I do believe Varys helped with saving Viserys and Dany in the first place, but mainly for decoys. As long as Robert hears rumors about the begger king, it would be easier to keep rumors about Aegon hidden. Viserys and Dany were to assume all the risk of the invasion and once it was started, Aegon would be revealed with the stronger claim.

This is where him being fAegon and not Aegon becomes important. Varys needs to appear as a Targ loyalist in order for fAegon to usurp Viserys and Dany’s claim to the throne. I believe fAegon is really a Blackfyre. It explains the duality of Varys working for and against the Targs.

We’ve already seen the test that will be used to prove he is fake. Stannis was hoping to use it with Edric Storm to prove Joffrey wasn’t Robert’s son.

146. RandomSand
    Posted July 4, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Greenjones,

Turncloak,

Oh, I know there are two auditions and I agree that Bronn is probably the one Tyene is talking too, I only question the “Obara” lines in the Tyene audition, since, from what I know, nothing has been said about Obara being in that scene and I remember that in the tape there was only one person reading the non-tyene lines. There may be more people in the scene, I just don’t know why would someone put Obara’s name with apparently no evidence of her being present in the scene.

147. wholesale cheap Cowboys jerseys china
    Posted July 5, 2014 at 7:22 am | Permalink

The Bucks of an advanced lightweight material for maximum performance.