Game of Thrones viewership ratings rise once more with Breaker of Chains
By Hear Me Roar on in News.
Styr approves of these numbers

Styr approves of these numbers

Good news on the ratings front again! James Hibberd reports that episode 403 of Thrones matched the series premiere record at 6.6 million viewers for the first hour. Additional 1.6 million people watched it on rerun Sunday night.

Hear Me Roar: Very cool to hear. I think it is safe to assume that somewhat fewer people were around during the Easter weekend to watch the show right away, which cancelled out the surge after the “purple wedding” episode. Still, there were 5 per cent more people tuning in to see the latest installment right away compared to last week’s number (6.31 million). Upwards and onwards!

1. TieDomi
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Hodor

2. TFT
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Hodor.

3. The Bastard
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

So basically Game of Thrones will be hovering around 6.5 Million viewers all season. The only question left is will they hit 7.0 Million viewers for the finale.

Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

The Bastard,

You’re quick to draw conclusions. I don’t think we have an idea what will happen in the following weeks.

5. Joël Linger
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Well, I do think the ratings will hit the 7 million this season but I also think it will dipp below 6 at some point.

6. Johan Sporre
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Based on previous years I’d approximate this to be around 6.8-6.9 million if it wasn’t Easter, which might mean that a curve like last year’s isn’t far off and we could very well break 7 in episode 4, 5 or 6.

7. John
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Sounds great!

Time for a coffee. Maybe Jamie could hand me one?
    (This link does not contain spoilers, just a pic of a scene of s04e02)

8. SillyMammo
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

It will be interesting to see if they keep those rating numbers after Ep. 3. The internet seemS in an uproar because of a certain twincest scene.

9. Delta1212
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

No, but I don’t think that’s unrealistic. The more seasons it goes the fewer viewers are going to be added mid-season simply because the barrier to jumping in keeps increasing. The real test of how much buzz this season creates is going to be season 5′s premiere. The same way we saw a major jump from Red Wedding buzz in this season’s premiere.

It is still early to call an end to the season’s rise definitively, but I don’t think we’re going to see huge gains: just fluctuations in how time-shifted the viewing numbers are depending on how anxious people are to see the next episode.

10. TieDomi
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

GRRM comments over at Not A Blog:

Re: Jaime’s changes in Breaker of Chains

This is off topic here. This is the section for comments about Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the Cocteau’s author program.

Since a lot of people have been emailing me about this, however, I will reply… but please, take any further discussion of the show to one of the myriad on-line forums devoted to that. I do not want long detailed dissections and debates about the TV series here on my blog.

As for your question… I think the “butterfly effect” that I have spoken of so often was at work here. In the novels, Jaime is not present at Joffrey’s death, and indeed, Cersei has been fearful that he is dead himself, that she has lost both the son and the father/ lover/ brother. And then suddenly Jaime is there before her. Maimed and changed, but Jaime nonetheless. Though the time and place is wildly inappropriate and Cersei is fearful of discovery, she is as hungry for him as he is for her.

The whole dynamic is different in the show, where Jaime has been back for weeks at the least, maybe longer, and he and Cersei have been in each other’s company on numerous occasions, often quarreling. The setting is the same, but neither character is in the same place as in the books, which may be why Dan & David played the sept out differently. But that’s just my surmise; we never discussed this scene, to the best of my recollection.

Also, I was writing the scene from Jaime’s POV, so the reader is inside his head, hearing his thoughts. On the TV show, the camera is necessarily external. You don’t know what anyone is thinking or feeling, just what they are saying and doing.

If the show had retained some of Cersei’s dialogue from the books, it might have left a somewhat different impression — but that dialogue was very much shaped by the circumstances of the books, delivered by a woman who is seeing her lover again for the first time after a long while apart during which she feared he was dead. I am not sure it would have worked with the new timeline.

That’s really all I can say on this issue. The scene was always intended to be disturbing… but I do regret if it has disturbed people for the wrong reasons.

Now, if you please, I’d appreciate it if we could get back to Junot Diaz and Anne Perry and the subjects of the original post.

Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I agree with you in general. Nevertheless, I think we still have this season to go as far as new viewers that could still be added are concerned. Up to the premiere next year. Then it probably will plateau, and hopefully stay there as long as possible.

12. Ser Davos Seaworth
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

John,

WHAT? i’ve got to rematch that and try to spot it… unless that’s photoshopped

13. Michael Tschuertz
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Delta1212,

well last season we got a big rise until episode 6 and a fall with e7.
    which was a bigger firsthalf rise then during any other season.

Total numbers would be nice.

14. Lyanna Mormont
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

That photo seems to be from a rehearsal, since Jaime/NCW is also lacking both golden hand and armor, which he had on in the episode.

15. John
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

Lyanna Mormont:

I just rewatched that scene and yes, it’s not in it.
    Sorry!

Unfortunately I can’t edit my post above.

16. WompWomp
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

TieDomi,

Great catch. This really deserves its own post on the site.

17. jentario
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Cool. I didn’t expect much more than this to be honest.

18. Zack
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

This is continued great news. I don’t have any doubt that the show will pass 7 million by year’s end. I am just curious by how much, and what the ultimate ratings ceiling will be for the series as a whole…

19. Mike Chair
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Thirteen!

20. GeekFurious
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

8.2 million in the two viewings. Damn. There is no letup. Can’t wait to see the across-all-platforms numbers for these episodes. I bet they are going to be massive.

21. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

This episode was boring as hell.

It has like 10 storylines in it and each gets 5 min of screen time and NOTHING is resolved. Its like a forshadowing of AFFC and the death of the TV series…

Yes lets add Dorne, Pyke and Bravoos to this mess and kill the TV show for good.

Jesus f. christ 10 minutes of the episode is Sam and Gilly?????????????

How the f. are them 2 more important than enyone else?

22. Wolfman27
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:
    This episode was boring as hell.

Jesus f. christ 10 minutes of the episode is Sam and Gilly?????????????

How the f. are them 2 more important than enyone else?

It’s about moving the story forward. And it was done very well in this episode. It contained the aftermath of the Royal Wedding and momentum leading up to future events in the season. Everything isn’t supposed to be resolved in one episode. That’s why each season is 10 episodes long. If you were bored by this episode, then you clearly don’t care about the detail or development of the plot and you’re just in it for the big moments. Calm down and enjoy the season as a whole or just stop watching altogether. You won’t be missed.

23. leaf
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

When is the site going to be fixed for iPhone?

24. Seriano
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

I’d rather see 10 minutes of Sam & Gilly in a build-up episode like this one than on the end of the season, when things are supposed to be at top speed.

It is one of the storylines and it has to move somehow. Better earlier than later.

25. Alan
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

leaf:
    When is the site going to be fixed for iPhone?

And ipad. How did it go from fan-run to a company and get worse technology.

Who the heck has web technology that ignores about 1/3rd of their market?

26. Clob
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

This comment will belong in recap round-up, but whatever. I just pulled up Larry Williams’ Otaku Assemble review for this week. The comment is just about how long his reviews are this season. When he was doing them before he limited them to around 20 minutes. So far this season he’s going about 40 minutes to an hour. There’s nothing wrong with that of course – just interesting.

27. Josla
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

This is unrelated but where in the world is Kovarro? Is he out of the show for good?

28. The Onion Knight
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I agree wtg is Kovarro???

29. Arthur
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

John: Sounds great!
    Time for a coffee. Maybe Jamie could hand me one?
    (This link does not contain spoilers, just a pic of a scene of s04e02)

Hah!

I bet you D&D are going to text Nik with this pic like “WTF Dude!” =P

30. Arthur
    Posted April 21, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

John: Lyanna Mormont:

I just rewatched that scene and yes, it’s not in it.
    Sorry!
    Unfortunately I can’t edit my post above.

Oh damn, NVM!

31. King Stannis
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Would you like some cheese?

32. Lady
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:39 am | Permalink

Alan,

My android Samsung phone is messed up too….#FeelYourPain…

33. Lady
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 2:43 am | Permalink

If they keep ending on unresolved cliff hangers like Meereen and the wedding they keep pushing 6.5 or higher I think…

34. OhDanyBoy
    Posted April 22, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Delta1212:
    Hear Me Roar,

In the third season, the season in which there was the most “catch-up inertia” due to two full seasons to catch up on, the in-season increase was greater than the in-season increase in S2 and S1. S1 gained about 0.9M over the season, S2 gained about 0.5M. S3 gained about 1M (more than that if you count peak to valley rather than premier to finale). I see no evidence that the backlog of past seasons is slowing down the in-season increases.

The real test of course is always the finale-to-premier jump, but we shouldn’t write off in-season growth. I’d be shocked if we didn’t hit 7M at least once.

35. JBones
    Posted April 23, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

This show is going until the end. Is there any doubt at this point? The two year renewal is basically a “keep going until you have made us all of the money” from HBO. (ALL OF THE MONEY!) I’m so glad. The fantasy book genre will be changed for all time because of this show. I’m sick of ‘the DARK ONE’ vs the ‘chosen one.” Let’s get some better schit out there!