Game of Thrones mid-season game of numbers
By Hear Me Roar on in Editorial.

Here we are, five episodes into season four. The month went by quickly, and those more-than-positive viewership numbers we kept getting each week sure did help. Not only was the plot of the show exciting to follow, but its success as well. Since I am a sucker for visual representations, I plotted the numbers from week to week; here are the long-awaited results (simply click to enlarge):

S4 chart

All viewer numbers refer to the first airing only, and the graphs of longer or shorter seasons have been scaled to correspond to the 10-episode run of Game of Thrones.

How does this compare to the previous chart? Well, first of all, not one but two additional lines had to be added to the Y-axis in order to accommodate the growth. Crazy. Not only was the speculated 6 million mark reached and exceeded, so was the 7 million one, just this week. Ah, the holy number. The series high thus currently stands at 7.16 million viewers in the first hour of airing.

An even more impressive number has also been revealed this week. An average of 17.8 million viewers has so far seen each episode of the current season across all platforms (the previous high, reached last season, stands at 14.4m), which is a number that can only grow with new episodes coming and the overall upwards trend. As our founder puts it:

Yes indeed. Episodes of The Sopranos had fewer options for delayed viewing available back in the day, but reached higher numbers for the initial airing as a consequence. In sum, the total audience of Game of Thrones is the largest of any HBO show ever. The brass can now confidently let D&D tell the story in its entirety, with some additional funding if needed.

Before the season started, we speculated about reaching the 6 million milestone. Now that the show has broken the 7 million mark, the next big goal obviously lies at 8. When will that happen? Speculate away. I can imagine the numbers stagnating or even dipping a little bit in the next weeks only to rise again for the last two episodes of the season and break new records. Knowing what is yet to come on the show, I would not find such a development too surprising.

1. Lady
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Stannis!

2. Lady
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

So…I guess a dip under 7 mil this week…but I imagine it’ll stay high.

Edit….being Canadian I get the holidays mixed up…ours is one week earlier…victoria day vs memorial. Similar thing with Canada Day and July 4th…

Anyway….the two week break after episode 7 might drive 8 over 7.5 mil.

3. D'Arcy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

I don’t see why it should dip at all.

I’m betting an increase again.

By the season finale we’ll be at 8 million viewers, mark my words. I even see it hitting 8 million for episode 9.

4. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

I can’t see the show breaking 8 million this season (then again, I thought 7 was overly ambitious).

Most likely, after the trifecta of episodes 8, 9 and 10, I think the premier of season 5 could make 8 million.

After that? Who knows.

Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

D’Arcy,

Cool, I’ll keep your prediction in mind. Hope it happens :)

6. d1gitals3rf
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

A Secret Baratheon:

After that? Who knows.

7. oracle86
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I think the season finale’s viewership numbers will cross 8 million.

8. SHMF
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

I bet True Detective will have HUGE numbers for season 2 after that stellar first season, but because of the way its constructed it will drop back down for its 3rd season. Mostly because I just don’t see how they can match S1, nor the expectations that will now come after it.

9. SHMF
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Ratings will dip considerably this Sunday for Mother’s Day weekend.

10. SHMF
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

(yes that’s right, don’t forget kids, this Sunday is Mothers Day)

11. Norman
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Would be good to see the Sopranos on that chart.

12. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Two suggestions:

1. Homeland is on Showtime, which has smaller viewership. None of their shows I remotely cared about have crossed 3 mil. mark in ratings, even Dexter and Homeland. It’s apples and oranges.

2. I’d represent the data with markers and connect them with straight lines (thin and possibly dashed). Excel can do that, AFAIR.

13. davy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I think we will see 8.5 in episode 10. Maybe 9 milion, but that’s a prediction from my side. (huge increase in season 2 after blackwater aswell)

14. andy smith
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I think it will continue to rise and only dip when they have the one week break since viewers could be confused as to why it is suddenly not on one week two thirds of the way through the season and then back on the following week.

15. jentario
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I think it’s about time for a dip in viewership. Episode 5 was kind of slow, so maybe people won’t feel the need to tune in to the first airing as much as they did after episode 4. Hopefully it’ll still stay above 6 million (I think it will). That’s it for pessimism.

Episode 7 will rise again, just below the 7 million. Episode 8 will be around the 7 as well. Episode 9, after episode 8 hype, will rise and break our record (maybe 7.5 million?) and episode 10… It follows the double hype, and also happens to be a season finale (finales get more on-time views). We may well make the 8 :)

16. Crabber's Son
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

the real tragedy is how neglected boardwalk empire has become atleast it got a final season… as far as numbers go i can see it stayin around 7 this week then jumping to 7.5 after break and hitting eight for finale

17. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

SHMF:
    Ratings will dip considerably this Sunday for Mother’s Day weekend.

Speaking of Mother’s Day….I know of a great scene to witness on Mother’s Day, but I would have preferred it on Easter Sunday…. ;)

18. Johan Sporre
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

For episode 7 7.5 million will be broken, but after the Memorial weekend break it will drop slightly and then grow again for episodes 9 and 10. 8 million will be broken in the finale, and then almost 9 million for the season 5 premiere :)

19. Restore The Day
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Time to revise what other shows you put on that graph. True Blood and Sopranos were always worthy comparisons (even though HBO membership varies), and you used to put Rome on there. Walking Dead and Mad Men would be interesting too.

I also don’t know if that’s commonly available enough to make into a graph but i’m usually more interested in total viewership.

Also interesting: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0944947

20. Mrs. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

SHMF,

I think you’re right about True Detective. That first season was so pitch perfect and the acting so frigging stellar, I just can’t see anyone matching it. I never in my wildest dreams thought that Matt McConaughey had it in him…

21. Restore The Day
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

you’d be surprised what an unsullied can surmise from the flimsiest hint. be safe add tags

22. Delta1212
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

davy,

Blackwater’ numbers were suppressed by Memorial Day weekend. The rise between episodes 9 and 10 that season was largely a consequences of it no longer being Memorial Day for episode ten. If you extrapolate the rise from 7 to 8, episode 10 sits right on that line.

That’s still a very good increase, but it’s not nearly as sharp as it looks with Blackwater’s dip on the graph getting in the way.

23. davy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Delta1212:
    davy,

I still think that 8.5 milion to 9 milion is possible though. Looking at the steady increase every episode (even though I expect a small dip now) and the increased buzz the show will have in episodes 8 & 9. I wouldn’t count out getting 8.5 to 9 milion just yet.

24. Isabelle
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Well, there’s a fair chance that most everyone currently watching is going to want to find out what happens, so I don’t see Thrones losing too many viewers. 8 million might be possible by season’s end, or, if they do a really fabulous job advertising, by Season 5′s start.

Holidays like Mother’s Day are special cases, so I wouldn’t pay them much heed.

I’m really curious, though–what have the numbers been like for WiC.net this season? Any noticeable or significant differences in page views, etc, compared to this time last year? Also controlling (if possible) for the switch to FS?

25. Sister Wrister
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Include 8 sand snakes, break 8 million viewers…..
    The show will go 8 seasons!

26. Chrysee
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Talk of 8 and 9 million is just setting yourself up for disappointment. Then again, when people said 7 million before this season started I just laughed. So who knows?

But it’s important to remember that maintaining the same numbers should not be disappointing at all.

27. Squinty
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

We’re all thinking the same thing right? That the Boardwalk Empire numbers are totally unfair and that other than Game of Thrones, it’s the other best offering that HBO has? We were all thinking that, right? Because you all watch Boardwalk Empire………….right?

No but seriously it’s one of the best shows on TV. Take your HBO subscription that you probably only have to watch Game of Thrones and use it to go watch Boardwalk Empire. Now. Stop reading this. Go.

Seriously, go.

28. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Lady:
    So…I guess a dip under 7 mil this week…but I imagine it’ll stay high.

Edit….being Canadian I get the holidays mixed up…ours is one week earlier…victoria day vs memorial.Similar thing with Canada Day and July 4th…

Anyway….the two week break after episode 7 might drive 8 over 7.5 mil.

Wait… there’s a two week break this year? Aw man :(

29. d1gitals3rf
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

andy smith:
    I think it will continue to rise and only dip when they have the one weekbreak since viewers could be confused as to why it is suddenly not on one week two thirds of the way through the season and then back on the following week.

People will stop viewing a show if it doesn’t come on for one week?

Suppose that’s possible but vaguely depressing if true. “Fickle” viewers shouldn’t watch GoT anyway; their loss.

30. Hoyti Von Totiy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

If they kill off Brianne, Podrick, Arya, Hound, Samwell Tarly, Gilly and dont bring in Sandsnakes, Doran or Kingsmoot the show could go 10 million.

31. jentario
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy,

Hoyti VAN Toyti. You’re doing it wrong.

32. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Hoyti Von Totiy:

YES! More Hoyti Von Totiy ridiculousness! I missed you, man.

33. A Secret Baratheon
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

d1gitals3rf: I agree. The key to maintaining those high numbers however will be the much more tricky adaptation process for the writing staff in season 5. It will be interesting from an “inside baseball”/Sullied perspective and hopefully solid entertainment as well.

Season 5 could honestly go either way, depending on how D&D trim the fat.

34. Gecc1
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

I’m impressed at the rate new viewers are still pouring in.
    At the start of this season the GoT page on Facebook stood at 8.9 million likes. It is currently at 11.2 million likes and adding at a rate close to 50,000 likes a day. That suggests that 50k new viewers are binging and catching up each day.
    Not sure if we can maintain that rate or if it is increasing or decreasing.
    Fairly impressive in any case and breaking 8 million will be a piece of cake if the rate of new viewers stays the same.

35. Just a Random
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

I think GoT hits 7.8 for the season finale and breaks 8 for next seasons premiere.

Averaging over 17 million, on a premium cable channel, is just insane. I wonder what the internal HBO projections were when they gave the initial greenlight to such an ambitious (expensive) project. Anyone know or care to guess? I’d bet this surpasses their own “best hope” numbers.

36. Tatters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Im petitioning for 9 million.
    Reasonably

37. d1gitals3rf
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Gecc1:
    I’m impressed at the rate new viewers are still pouring in.
    Not sure if we can maintain that rate or if it is increasing or decreasing.

THAT is an astonishing metric. I’m not a math geek but social media analysis is studied in some quarters I guess. So that’s looking to me like pseudo-exponential growth, word-of-mouth and group viewings being my preferred theory. If only HBO could count those who pay the “Iron Price” (HBO GO sharers included) I think the viewer incline might point sharply skyward.

38. Alex Greyjoy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Squinty,

Amen. Boardwalk Empire is awesome.

39. Tatters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Seems like many is jumping from paying the iron price to gold.
    Good for D&D.

40. Bard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I guess we will come near the 8 million mark at episode 10 and cross that line at the season premiere next year. But that will be the peak, the ratings will go down during season 5.

41. Lady
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Still haven’t watched BE…just didn’t grab me…but I’m not a tv-aholic.

I do like Veep and John Oliver after GOT now…and silicon valley has been good…but I can relate living in a similar *silicon valley* type area in Waterloo, Ontario.

42. Tatters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Bard,

Why will they go down?
    Because of the books?
    Pfft

43. Justin DiMatteo
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

The better the buzz and ratings this season get, the more anxious and worried I am about Season 5. Up til now, the immaculate quality of the books have laid a solid foundation and driven the show to be as great as it is. When it comes time to do AFFC/ADWD material, I’m scared. Those books are still good and important, but an undeniable drop off in action, and translate to television far worse than the first three.

Maybe we’ll actually see Benioff and Weiss surpass the source material. Wouldn’t that be an ironic treat? Otherwise, I fear there will be an inevitable drop in ratings for Season 5. This year’s season finale will pump people up and raise expectations, and show-only viewers will be let down just like so many readers were. Sorry for the pessimism.

44. Tatters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Justin DiMatteo,

Have faith in D&D. THey know what are doing.

45. Ed
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

So how does Sopranos compare?

46. Tatters
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Ed,

About four million less than GoT.

47. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Restore The Day,

…Or the Unsullied could go “Aha! That’s cool!” But yeah, prudence is a virtue. Given the open threads about Kingsmoots, Griffs, WW babies, and Red Vipers, I’m surprised you pointed out my simple witty/witless comment. Mods may do what they will with it.

48. jentario
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Justin DiMatteo,

Combining AFFC and ADWD and chopping the non-essential would make for a great season. I’m not quite sure it will be better than 4, but it will still be very good.

49. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Viewership will go down big time next season if D&D stick with several elements from the next books.

Dany’s absolutely monotonous Meereen arc, minus the pit and build-up to the siege.

Asha’s uncles and the Kingsmoot

Griff and young Griff.

The reason for the later two is it will take away from everyone seeing their favorites which the viewers have come to love and why they tune in. Less screen time for Jon, Dany, Arya/Hound, Tyrion, Cersei/Jaime, Marg, Brienne/Pod, Bran, Stanavosandre, Theon/Ramsey, Sansa equals unhappy viewers. The reason I didn’t exclude Dorne is because it, Myrcella, Prince Doran and the Sand Snakes have been mentioned, thereby that arc will be adapted (with changes).
    D&D cannot include all the new arcs from Feast/Dances w/o tremendously cutting time spent with all those the viewers have become attached too. Something has to go and my belief is it will be the Iron Isles and Griff arcs.
    I can actually see Tyrion forgoing his “Heart of Darkness” arc and D&D dropping him off at Volantis early in season five and meeting Jorah there, probably within the first few episodes.

50. Rygar
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I’ll keep BE all for myself with my glass of champagne and pinky in the air. Bwah bwye.

51. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Griff and Young Griff are important. Plus, they will be introduced through Tyrion, and spend at least a few episodes with him. GRRM has all but confirmed that ‘Aegon’ will sit the Iron Throne at some point. Would the show really cut out a future king and Varys’ whole plan? I hope not.

52. Veltigar
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Squinty:

Seriously, go.

Jimmy Darmody was my favorite character and my favorite storyline on BE. I think his story was just cut short and since then I haven’t watched BE anymore

James ‘Jimmy’ Darmody: You can’t be half a gangster, Nucky. Not anymore. It’s time to cast Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

53. Mimsy
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Season 4 is about to float off the chart. I can’t imagine a drop off next week, because of Tyrion’s trial and we all know when something as serious as that comes up, you just never know what body parts are going to fly… and Yara is coming for her lil bro! …and Stannis is going to the bank to make a withdrawl.. our first glimpse of a GOT atm transaction.. gotta see that. I wonder if Stannis needs to fill out a w/drawl slip?

54. Delta1212
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Re: Griff and Young Griff

Does having Allister Thorne and Janos Slynt subtract precious screen time from audience favorites? No? Because they’re part of the storyline of one or more of those favorites?

See: Griff and Young Griff

55. Rygar
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Veltigar: I haven’t had been able to muster up the heart to watch BE after season two’s finale. That was just rough! BE spoilers below spoilertags:

And yet you continue to watch GoTs where THAT happens more frequently? Huh.. Go figure.

56. Turncloak
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

You’re comment is completely ludicrous. Griff and young griff are some if the most interesting parts of book 5. Plus the Golden Company has already been mentioned on the show. Plus Young Griff has already landed on westeros and captured Storms end, while Griff has taken Griffens Roost and brought Grey Scale to Westeros. Plus these 2 characters will interact with TYRION. How in the world do you not find the appealing?

57. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 7, 2014 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Heresy! Expect some amalgamation of characters but the storylines will be similar. The Griff stuff is fascinating and full of opportunity for thrills and lore. Same with the Greyjoys (Maybe Tyrion hitches a ride in Volantis with Vic or Quentyn, but his journey to Volantis post-kinslaying could be Tyrion’s most dramatic arc ever, with revelations, paranoia and bitter truths everywhere.).

Regarding “new characters”, given what they accomplished with the integration of RV thus far, can you imagine what they could do with Vic and Euron? Will the showrunners paint them as over-the-top villains or true gameplayers, passionate to avenge Theon and/or be overly-ambitious conquerors?

In Dorne, Arianne’s arc has a chance to match or surpass her book events with Myrcella in the mix. I think they will change her storyline but the end-game will be the same.

Ok…folks will scoff and arcs will be adapted but all significant families/players and their agendas will still be represented. Some, like RV, will be one-season wonders.

58. GeekFurious
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 1:20 am | Permalink

I had a feeling the show would pass 15 million this season in all-around, but nearly 18 million is insane.

59. Croccifixio
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 2:48 am | Permalink

to the graph maker, thanks for the graph but if you could indicate which episode was the mermorial day weekend for additional info. thanks

60. Restore The Day
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Fair enough. I do see a difference between names popping up sans contexte, and sly remarks hanging about, hinting and nudging towards the resurrection of a mother which is then not hard to guess whose. If you had said lady stoneheart outright, for instance, I probably would have glanced over, though your post would have been admittedly less enjoyable to read. But hey, i’m neither a mod *thank the Smith* nor unsullied *thank the Maiden* and thus my opinion matters little :)

Posted May 8, 2014 at 3:53 am | Permalink

Croccifixio,

The show only aired on memorial day weekend in the first two seasons, if I remember correctly. So 107 and 209. You can observe the minor dips.

62. Harry
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Veltigar,

Not watching Boardwalk Empire because of Jimmy’s death, is like not watching Game of Thrones because of Eddard Stark’s death. You miss a superb TV series with a good story.

In my opinion, despite the above, the series got better each season.

63. Mirri Maz
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 4:52 am | Permalink

Shouldn’t the True Detective line end on episode 8 and the True Blood, Homeland and Empire Boardwalk extend as they have more than 10 episodes?

64. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 7:44 am | Permalink

Restore The Day,
    Sometimes I wonder why I am still holding onto that scene? I’m actually surprised that they (Tywin/Jaime/Roose) haven’t even mentioned the BwB increasing their attacks on Lannister/Frey troops or that there have been attacks by and sightings of a large wolfpack led by a huge direwolf. It’s the non-PoV stuff that they bring to the forefront (like the WW baby, GreyRobb, Theon/Ramsay’s early days, etc) that uniquely adds to the show’s impact. Even in the books, the reader knew that something was up in the riverlands that quite interesting indeed.

65. Hizdahr for President
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

It would be so awesome to see Lady StoneHeart on Mothers Day,

66. StrokemeMarg
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

My problem Hodor aren’t the new arcs or their characters, it is time allocation, period. Casual viewers will not want to spend any less time on the current arcs and their characters, which is what will happen if you add all the new ones from Feast/Dances. HBO viewers want to watch Jon, Cersei/Jaime, Dany, Arya/Hound, Stanavosandre, Tyrion, Sansa, Theon, period. They don’t want 10-15 minutes an episodes cutting out these arcs to include the new ones. Show GoT at the most can only include one of the three, and D&D have chosen Dorne. Which is far more interesting politically and dramatically than overblown vikings. There already is a Viking series, no need for another. You just have to accept the new Asha/Theon adaption, because those are the only two that matter. Vict and Euron arcs just muddled the narrative of ASoIaF instead of propelling it forward. Their purpose along with Brienne and Tyrion’s journey’s was more to show the world of Westeros and Essos than actually develop the story or propel the narrative forward.

67. Veltigar
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Rygar: And yet you continue to watch GoTs where THAT happens more frequently?Huh..Go figure.

Well, because ASOIAF/GoT has a lot of other stories I’m invested in. BE has fewer.

Harry:
    Veltigar,

In my opinion, despite the above, the series got better each season.

If it were shown here I would probably still watch it. But they stopped airing the show after season 2. And I didn’t really care enough to stream the other seasons.

Hi, everyone. I’m Olaf and I like warm hugs and casting Mads Mikkelsen as Euron

68. queenofthorns
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 10:33 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard: given what they accomplished with the integration of RV thus far, can you imagine what they could do with Vic and Euron?

You know what I always thought GRRM should have done:

Instead of having random pirates kidnap and sell Jorah and Tyrion, have Victarion kidnap them on his way to Meereen and bring them there. The funniest part being Victarion would be too stupid to realize who they are, and just treating them like any random slave lol…

69. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

Well put and I completely understand. But look what they are doing already…

- Yara is not going to Deepwood Mott so the whole Stannis/DM excursion is out. Stannis is probably going directly to Winterfell. Wtf are they going to do about snowstorms?

- The Kingsmoot will be condensed or redirected.

- Either Vic or Quentyn will take on a couple of hitchikers at Volantis. Their trip across the sea will be condensed….maybe a stop at the Shield Islands and to pick up a stray Moqorro. Euron will probably encroach the Reach and maybe the riverlands and maybe combine with Sam.

- Tyrion probably won’t be a circus freak in Slavers Bay. Penny may be compromised.

- Personally, I don’t think Dany’s armies are getting to Westeros, but she and a subset of her dragons and leadership contingent will (Can you imagine the Unsullied in Westeros? One generation and they’re done…)

- Briene & Jaime (& LS!) will intertwine, with dire consequences for someone.

- Arya will head back to Westeros at some point in late S5 or early S6 and compromise a few other characters.

- Faegon/JonCon will intertwine with KL quicker.

- No Thenn support…wilding politics will be handled differently.

- And more major characters are probably doomed sooner than later (depending on D&D’s knowledge of the final endgame).

I think it is rather exciting what the showrunners will do to condense the storyline without compromising the story. So far, it hasn’t been disappointing, imho. Although I want to wear a purist hat sometimes, I simply cannot keep it on. The story in my head is much, much larger and more colorful than what can be filmed on a limited budget.

70. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

queenofthorns,

Oh, I totally believe that either Vic or Quentyn will take on a few well-known hitchhikers/captives to use as collateral. :)

71. House Ray
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

I’m feeling less confident about Lady Stoneheart. Cat has been mentioned a lot, but you would think the BwB would be brought up. Their only real option left is full blown surprise, which would be great, but we might just be getting trolled (for next season even)

72. Gosensgo
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Theres a two week break?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHY????????????????????????????????????????

73. Zack
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Crabber’s Son:

Yes sir. There have been plenty of times I’ve thought BE was putting out better stuff than Thrones. Season 4 was amazing.

With those two shows and True Detective, HBO is giving people the best original programming today. I will hate to see Boardwalk Empire end. It seemed like it had a good 7 years or so of potential.

74. anita
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Only thing I can say is that I know tons of people who are binge watching righ now the first 3 seasons…

75. Rygar
    Posted May 8, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Veltigar,

You are SOOOO missing out. Nanny nanny poo poo

76. Asoiaf_Fan
    Posted May 9, 2014 at 8:00 am | Permalink

StrokemeMarg,

So you’re saying that show-only viewers don’t like scenes with Oberyn or Olenna because they came in late?
    I guess i didn’t read the same reviews/forums from unsullied as you.

1. […] Warging into Hodor Jojen’s Vision Branjen Fighting Snow Locking up a few plotlines Reads the Tweets Owns of the Week What great numbers […]

2. […] Discussion Topics Warging into Hodor Jojen’s Vision Branjen Fighting Snow Locking up a few plotlines Reads the Tweets Owns of the Week What great numbers […]