Game of Thrones Emmy submissions for season 4
By Ours is the Fury on in Awards.

EmmysThe official ballots for the 2014 Primetime Emmys were posted by the Television Academy today. With the ballots posted, we’re able now to see who will be up for a nomination this year. Generally, HBO and its showrunners choose which episodes and performers they would like to submit for each category, but actors may submit themselves if they so choose.

The final nominations will be announced by the Academy on July 10th, with the awards ceremony taking place later this summer.

Here’s the 2014 Game of Thrones submission list:

• Outstanding Drama Series
  • Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series- “The Children”
  • Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series: Alex Graves (“The Children”), Alik Sakharov (“The Laws of Gods and Men”), Neil Marshall (“The Watchers on the Wall”).
  • Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series- Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Charles Dance, Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington
  • Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series -  Emilia Clarke, Natalie Dormer, Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams
  • Guest Actor in a Drama Series: Pedro Pascal
  • Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Diana Rigg
  • Art Direction: “The Laws of Gods and Men,” “The Mountain and the Viper”
  • Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series
  • Oustanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series: “Mockingbird,” “Oathkeeper,” “The Lion and the Rose,” “Two Swords”
  • Sound Editing: “The Watchers on the Wall”
  • Sound Mixing: “The Watchers on the Wall”
  • Outstanding Costumes: “The Lion and the Rose”
  • Outstanding Hairstyling: “The Lion and the Rose”
  • Outstanding Make-up (Non-prosthetic): “Oathkeeper”
  • Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”
  • Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Miniseries or Movie
  • Outstanding Interactive Program – Game of Thrones Premiere: Facebook Live and Instagram

Ours is the Fury: It makes sense for the show to only submit one episode for a writing nomination, as that strategy was successful last year with “The Rains of Castamere.” Of course we haven’t yet seen “The Children,” so it’s difficult to really judge the decision but their confidence in the episode is promising. It’s great finally to see Sophie and Maisie both on the supporting actress submission list as they deserve. Pedro Pascal has tough competition for a guest actor nomination this year, but he certainly made a splash this season. Rigg’s submission was a no-brainer, and her getting the nomination seems almost assured.

1. M
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

WHY. WHY ARE THEY NOT NOMINATING ALFIE ALLEN. THIS IS ILLEGAL AT THIS POINT.

2. Chriss
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Second the confusion at no Alfie Allen. He’s been nothing short of incredible as Reek. A confident, and let’s be honest, brave performance. It can’t be easy for an actor to get into that mindset, and allow himself to be that vulnerable. I really respect the performance he’s given – to go from an arrogant character with a moral ambiguity to this shattered wreck is brilliant. Well done, Alfie Allen. I think you should be nominated.

3. Val
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

M,

Agree wtf this is ridiculous

4. Dormer
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

I screamed, literally screamed, when I read “Natalie Dormer”.

5. Delta1212
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

Well, this bodes well for the finale. I’m looking forward to it even more than I already was.

Although I agree with the above. I’m not one to hate on Kit, I think he does a good job, but let’s be honest, Alfie Allen has consistently done better with what he’s been given pretty much from season 2 on. If I was going to nominate one of them, it wouldn’t be the one they went with.

6. Maynard Plumm
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

•Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

Hmmm…

7. Lightning Lord
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I’m surprised they haven’t nominated Djawadi’s original score at all. He gets better and better every season.

8. Ser Maestet
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Alfie Allen was submitted for season 2, so it’s not like they’ve never given him his due. He’s amazing and I would consider him I were an Emmy voter, but I doubt he would have any real chance at a nomination for this season. He was only in 3 episodes, for starters.

9. WeirwoodTreeHugger
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I agree with everyone that Alfie should have been included. Other than that, great list.

Is there any chance at all the Sophie or Maisie will actually be nominated? They’re completely deserving, no question but how often do teenage actors get nominated?

10. spacechampion
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Are there rules about how much screen time an actor must not exceed to stay in the supporting actor categories as opposed to being in the starring actor categories? Gaming the rules so all your actors are supporting or guest seems quite ridiculous.

11. Asfastasican
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

I think Alfie has been great as well, but his character isn’t very sellable. His character doesn’t feel like something you can comfortably showcase and it’s not very relatable to emmy viewers. What do you guys think?

12. Ser Maester
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

WeirwoodTreeHugger,

I looked into this a bit just now; last time an under 18 actor was nominated was 2001, and basically there’s only a handful at most per decade.

13. Polish
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm: I’m looking forward to The Children even more now. It seems to be their favorite episode.

3ER / Leaf? Brienne ear bite? LS? (nope… LS not gonna be in this finale)

14. Rygrette
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm:
    •Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

Hmmm…

Bloodraven

15. Kris
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Pedro! 100%– this better happen. Also, Nikolaj CW

16. JamesL
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm,

Bloodraven and Children of the Forrest…

17. Polish
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

^^^ That was in reference to best prosthetics

18. Thoros
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm,

Hmmm…is right! I’m now pumped for next week.

19. Stacey
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I’m happy GOT submitted Maisie Williams. She’s one of their strongest talents (not just among the younger actors, but out of all of the entire cast) yet they overlooked her and shot themselves in the foot by doing so. If they had put her up for consideration last year, the show would have been more likely to win in this category. It’s a shame the material she was given wasn’t nearly as strong this season as it was in S3.

20. Greenjones
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm,

Aye, hmm, indeed. I guess they’re confidant that they’re going to be impressive…

21. Mladen
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Permalink

Don’t understand why Dormer is being submitted, but Clarke submission is also mystery for me, so I might not be the best judge. TBH, this year, I felt like Sophie and Lena were the only ones deserving of submission for Supporting Actress.

As for Supporting Actor, it is known HBO and producers will push for Dinklage, and that there is no chance that any other gets nomination. Coster-Waldau and Harington weren’t memorable this year, and Alfie certainly deserved it more.

Also, apart of Dinklage, no cast member has remote chances of being nominated. Emilia Clarke was nominated last year, and that might be good for her, but honestly, there is entire line of supporting actresses from other shows that make her submission laughable.

22. Harry Lime
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Hmm, I have to wonder at them not submitting “The Watchers on the Wall” for best cinematography, what with that amazing long tracking shot.

23. Stacey
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Mladen,

I agree. I don’t understand why the show keeps submitting Dormer either. Last year was particularly strange. She’s a great actress in other works she has been in, but nothing she has done on GOT has been worthy of consideration.

24. Ragman's Harbor
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

Oustanding prostethic make-up for ”The Children”? Hell yeah!! I may pee my pants when I see BloodRaven.

25. Grynthaline
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series- “The Children”

Hmm they must really think that episode good to consider it for the submission.. we’ll see, hope it’s really that good.

26. Elizabeth
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

JamesL,

I was hoping maybe Lady Stoneheart?

27. Marco
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Will there ever be a best actor or best actress submission for GOT? I know its an ensemble cast, but if Peggy can be nominated for best actress for Mad Men, there are GOT actors that have just as big of parts.

28. outdoorcats
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

Harry Lime,

The tracking shot is the director’s decision, as is most camera placement (though it depends how detailed the storyboard is). The DP’s job mostly involves lighting and framing.

I’m glad they finally submitted Maisie and Sophie. Years overdue, but late is better than never. Since Arya is one of the three characters casual viewers actually remember, and is a fan favorite, I suspect Maisie Williams actually has a decent chance at a nomination.

29. Almost A Knight
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Meh, predictable on actress and actors category. It will be Dinklage who will get nomination and if Emilia isn’t picked for nomination, none of the other actresses will. The judges seem only recognize Peter and Emilia, anyway. But damn nomination for episode 10 makes me more excited than ever!

30. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

I’m so happy “The Children” got nominated! It was absolutely stunning…I never sat down while watching. For an episode that was dedicated entirely to the island of Skaagos storyline, I couldn’t believe how amazingly intricate and well-paced it was. It had a real “Lord of the Flies” feeling to it. Alex Graves is the greatest director ever!

Edit: Wait…I think I’m confused…I don’t think we’ve seen this episode yet…

31. Arthur
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I really hope Dance wins.

That guy is just amazing, I mean he’s basically without peer. He deserves it for sure.

32. Amanda M
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

I’m still seething in bitterness from Nikolaj’s snub last year, so I don’t have high hopes that anyone deserving will win… But I’m still foolishly rooting for Pedro!

33. Dominique Lavigne
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Maynard Plumm: Something prevents the spoiler tags… so I,ll just erase this mention :-(

Ha!
    Can they spoil themselves in Emmy ballots? ;-)

BTW, Oberyn Martell for best guest actor FTW!

34. Thomas
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Actor: Peter or Charles.
    Actress: It’d be dreamy if it were my fave Natalie Dormer, but it’s not my dream, so I think Lena or Sophie should imo get the nomination but Emilia is more likely to.

35. Kate
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

I believe n
    Mladen,

Natalie Dormer submitted herself. I’m not sure how the process works, and why it’s not done more often, but HBO only put the other four in their FYC box.

36. Jared
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Kate:
    I believe n
    Mladen,

Kate is right – Natalie Dormer submitted herself. All of the other actors listed here were submitted by HBO.

Unlike the Oscars and other major Industry awards, the Emmys have an entry fee that any potential nominee has to pay in order to appear on the ballot. Each year, the various networks will choose a select number of cast members from each of their shows (generally the ones that the executives in charge of their campaign think have the best chance to be nominated) and pay the entry fee for them so that they can appear on the ballot. Any actor who is not put forward by the network can also submit themselves for consideration, but in order to appear on the nomination ballot, he or she (or the agent representing them) has to pay the entry fee themselves. Clearly, Natalie Dormer is willing to do so.

37. Ours is the Fury
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Mladen: Luckily, someone smart there learned that Sibel Kekilli was a bad for submission.

Sibel submitted herself last year, similar to how Dormer submitted herself this year, it seems.

38. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Marco:
    Will there ever be a best actor or best actress submission for GOT?I know its an ensemble cast, but if Peggy can be nominated for best actress for Mad Men, there are GOT actors that have just as big of parts.

I’m pretty sure they submitted Sean Bean for best actor for season 1, which makes sense, as 3 years into the show he still had more dialogue than anyone but the 3 Lannister siblings.

Would love to see Pedro nominated. He’ll have a tough run against Lou Gossett Jr. in Boardwalk Empire.

39. ninabonita4
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Let’s go Lena!

40. Richard
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

You mean I am only a few thousand dollars away from being an Emmy Nominated actor? Wow, putting a price on it kinda cheapens that whole nominated thing.

41. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Dinklage and Rigg are the only actors with a chance, and even they aren’t locks. I think the show will be nominated again, but that may be it.

42. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I have difficulty understanding why GoT’s chances of lots of big wins are usually so low. This show has the best actors, directors and writers on television, IMO. Hands down. Especially now that Breaking Bad is over.

43. Sansa Bird
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

God, I hope Sophie gets nominated.

I think she’s been the strongest consistently throughout the seasons and she’s been especially good this season, considering the meaty material she was finally given to work with. I’ll be a shame if she’s overlooked.

All the actress do really nice work, but I think when it comes down to pure acting ability, Turner has outdone most of the other actresses up for submission, imo.

44. BuggerMe
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

Richard:
    Ours is the Fury,

No. This is simply a CHANCE to get nominated.

45. We do not Hodor
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Go Sophie!

46. D'Arcy
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard:

Edit: Wait…I think I’m confused…I don’t think we’ve seen this episode yet…

Oh, well now I NEED an entirely Skaagos-set “Lord of the Flies”-inspired episode.

47. Ashara D
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Love to see lots of submissions. So cool and intriguing that they see “The Children” as the episode to submit for all of these awards. Can’t wait to see it, but then what?? *sob*

Sophie and Maisie! Charles Dance! My man Pedro!

DORNE!!!

48. GeekFurious
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

I am sooooooo happy that Pedro Pascal submitted as guest actor. Obviously that was always a possibility but I didn’t know how they would play their hand. This makes it far more likely that he will get nominated.

49. Maester Lauren
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

How was The Watchers on the Wall not nominated for hairstyling? Kit Harington’s mane is a WONDER

50. Kay
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos:

Because it’s FANTASY. Hollywood and Emmys don’t take fantasy too seriously.

I hope Pedro wins. Among actors/actresses, he is the most deserving, in my opinion. Very curious to see 4.10 now, given how strongly the showrunners seem to feel about it!

51. Pedro
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Wow, “The Children” looks great.
    Even if they leave LS out of the finale, i’ll be satisfied either way, because there are 6 other great twists and cliffhangers:
    1- Tyrion killing Tywin and Shae
    2- Stannis!
    3- The Hound’s “death”
    4- Brienne fighting
    5- Bran and the Bloodraven
    6- Drogon running away

This was the best season so far.

52. Delta1212
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

I think some people are having trouble with the idea that this is the show’s list of “Hey, we think you should look at these particular pieces of work from our show when deciding who to nominate for Emmys this year” and not an actual list of Emmy nominations.

53. als
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I really hope Dance wins.

But without the dwarfism novelty factor to overcome the anti-fantasy bias, I don’t think a GOT actor can get an Emmy.

54. Jared
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Game of Thrones will rack up a significant number of nominations in the technical categories, as they always do. The series has been nominated for Costumes, Casting, Hairstyling, Prosthetic and Non-Prosthetic Makeup, and Sound Editing every year that it’s been on the air, and it’s scored nods in Art Direction, Cinematography, Editing, Sound Mixing, Stunts, and Visual Effects for various seasons, winning for a few of them. As for the so-called “major” categories …

Drama Series: Game of Thrones has been nominated for Best Drama Series for the past three years, and it’s a lock to be nominated again. Given how great this season has been (the best, IMO) and how much love it has gotten, I sincerely believe that a win is possible, if not likely. Having said that, it will be very difficult to overtake the defending champion Breaking Bad and the hot newcomer, True Detective (which will draw a significant amount of the HBO campaign team’s energy and focus). House of Cards is a factor here as well.

Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage is a lock to be nominated. Even better, he has several very strong possible submission tapes, giving him a real chance to win for the first time since Season 1. Charles Dance (submitted for the first time this year) could surprise some people by getting in, and I would be very happy if he did. The problem is that this category is brutally competitive – possibly the most competitive in terms of the sheer number of qualified nominees, and there are only two “open” slots to fill. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau has been fantastic this season, but if he couldn’t get in last year when he had his strongest material and was clearly the most deserving male cast member, he unfortunately won’t make it this year now that Dinklage is once again garnering most of the attention (and quite deservedly so). Kit Harington is having his best season in my opinion, but he’s even less likely to break through.

Supporting Actress: Emilia Clarke was nominated last year and therefore she has to be considered a decent bet to return. Once you’re in with Emmy voters, you tend to stay in for a while. Unless Clarke has some brilliant material in the finale, however, she probably can’t win. I’d love to see Lena Headey get nominated, and she has an outside chance, but it will be tough. Sophie Turner and Maisie Williams have both been brilliant this season, but Emmy voters almost never nominate “child” actors, so it’s difficult to imagine them breaking through. Natalie Dormer did some very fine work this season (her “seduction” of Tommen is one of my favorite scenes of the year), but she’s on the outside looking in.

Guest Actor: Pedro Pascal has a real chance here, especially after several actors who were considered strong contenders (Michael J. Fox, Glenn Fleshler) were left off the ballot. If he gets in, he’ll be competing for “Mockingbird”, which is a strong enough showcase for his talents to get him the win. Out of all of Game of Thrones’ possible nominations, I might be rooting for this one the most.

Guest Actress: Diana Rigg should be nominated again. She submitted “The Lion and the Rose”, which is a solid choice. I might have gone with “Oathkeeper”, but she should get in either way.

Writing: As Ours is the Fury notes, submitting only one script for consideration is a savvy choice by HBO to avoid vote splitting. When Game of Thrones submitted only one script for Season 1 and Season 3, respectively, it was nominated in this category. When Game of Thrones submitted multiple scripts for Season 2, it was shut out of this category entirely. It would have been nice to see Bryan Cogman and GRRM have their scripts considered, but if “The Childen” is as good as we all expect it to be, it could be a real threat.

Directing: Game of Thrones hasn’t been nominated for Directing since Season 1 (Tim Van Patten for “Winter is Coming”). I would LOVE to see Neil Marshall be nominated for “The Watchers on the Wall”, which was a truly stunning achievement. Knowing Alex Graves’ work, I expect that his direction of “The Children” will be stellar as well. That being said, True Detective (“Who Goes There”) is the clear favorite in this category and Breaking Bad will likely have multiple nominations, so this field will be tough to crack.

55. Lady Forlorn
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Sophie Turner has done a great job this year. I hope she gets nominated… or in the alternative Lena Headey.

I love Diana Rigg but I think Kate Dickie could have also been nominated for guest star. Her portrayal of Lysa is spot on.

56. Hodor Targaryen
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

If Dinklage was nominated last year, he’s got a good shot this year, he’s been great.

Hoping for a nom for Pedro.

And look, I think Alfie has been excellent this season, but he’s been in like four scenes total. And even then, he was more of a secondary character in Ramsay’s storyline. All of the GoT submissions for best supporting are essentially nominations for actors who are the main leads, and Alfie is pretty low on that list for next season.

57. Sheriff Bullock
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Dormer??? She’s barely featured since ep 3.

58. Andrew
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

The Season 4 soundtrack is now available for download on iTunes. Just FYI :)

59. GeekFurious
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

The nominations are per a single episode. Because no one at the Academy is going to watch 10 to 22 episodes to see if your body of work is worthy of a nomination.

60. Daenerys Naharis
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

The nomination for “The Children” made me even more excited for the season finale. Yey!

I hope Pedro gets a nomination. He was great as Oberyn. Lena Headey, Peter Dinklage, and Charles Dance for the other categories and I’ll be a happy geek. :)

OP but seeing Kit Harington top bill the 9th episode (of course) also made me happy. :)

61. hinesy24
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

This implies that the producers think that the season finale is the best-written episode of this season. Better than Joff’s wedding, better than The Watchers On The Wall, better than Tyrion’s Trial. Damn.

62. What is wet may never dry
    Posted June 9, 2014 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

M,

I agree! He was spectacular.

63. Caravaggio
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:15 am | Permalink

As if I weren’t more hyped for the finale yet, the GoT team submits it as their Emmy bet for “Best Writing,” and, what’s this? BEST MAKE-UP AND PROSTHETICS?! HOLY SHIT! Looks like the giants and mammoths weren’t their main guns yet!

And Charles Dance and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau finally get their Emmy dues! And Pedro Pascal!

This season truly is GoT’s most shining moment yet.

64. LJ
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:20 am | Permalink

I want Jack Gleeson!

65. KG
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:09 am | Permalink

So why do you watch the show?

Mladen:

66. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Just bought the season 4 soundtrack. “Oathkeeper” and “You are no son of mine” gave me goosebumps. I can easily see either song being played in the final moments

67. James
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Was certain that “The Mountain and the Viper” would be nominated for best makeup, although perhaps it was too gruesome to put down for their Emmy calling card?

Makes me really curious to see what’s in “The Children” then….

68. jwal
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:55 am | Permalink

the problems with some of the submissions is that they may cancel each other out. Usually it’s in the acting category when 2 or more members of the same category (ie supporting actress) come from same show. In my opinion Sansa/Sophe is better this season than Arya/Maisie (even tho Massie was better in all previous seasons). They may cancel each other out in some votes. This is especially true when they are actually Nominated. Say if Sophie and Maisie get nominated, they may cancel each other out in voting

In my opinion, putting Dinklage in actor and not supporting is difficult. Only because someone like Bryan Cranston is in all episodes of Breaking Bad, and is in over 80% an episode (and has been solid for 5 seasons) compared to Tyrion’s combined 160 minutes total. But who knows! ?

69. FictionIsntReal
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:14 am | Permalink

I was going to say that even Kit Harrington probably doesn’t think he did a better job than Alfie Allen, but considering how few episodes Alfia was in and that Kit just got an entire episode focused on his story, I can understand they they submitted those. He’s not going to get nominated though.

70. francois dontos hollande
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:17 am | Permalink

OFF TOPIC: but does anybody know whether penny dreadful’s eva green is being nominated?

71. Greenjones
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:19 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Yeah, it’s a great soundtrack. The problem is four or five of the songs sound like they could be episode ending material. It worries me because there is a specific ending that a good deal of us want to see…

72. Tatters
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Peter and Pedro should win, but The Children should lose. Punishment for not submitting Jack.

73. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:32 am | Permalink

Greenjones,

‘The King In The North’ score is interspersed with ‘The Children’. Make of that what you will.

74. Ross
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:58 am | Permalink

How this show doesn’t win ‘best casting’ every single year is a mystery to me

75. Shaun Danger
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:04 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

No, “The Children” sounds more similar to “Mhysa”from season 3.

76. Tyrion Pimpslap
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:09 am | Permalink

Shaun Danger,

It will be either a Bran scene or LS that it follows. The ‘King In The North’ score is clear, it features no hint of Dany’s score.

77. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:22 am | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap:
    Greenjones,

The Children refers to the children of Ned Stark.

78. Croccifixio
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:31 am | Permalink

i am gonna call it now, LS will be the next year premier’s last scene

79. Enfield
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:31 am | Permalink

On the soundtrack: it will be weird if they take a more hopeful approach to LS (maybe less zombified?), using the track “The Children” as a musical cue. But they could skip that event entirely, and it would still be one of the biggest episodes we’ve seen so far.

80. Silver of Wyman
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:40 am | Permalink

If they give Pedro and Charles the Emmys I’ll be satisfied.

81. Deekan
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Finally some Sophie/Maisie emmy love for farks sake!

82. Sunshine
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Last year emmys lost all credibility for me. I don’t care anymore who gets it or not …

83. Adrien Seguer Vicente
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 4:36 am | Permalink

Maynard Plumm:
    •Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

Hmmm…

I have thought exactly the same lol

84. NedsHead
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 4:41 am | Permalink

They should all get awards, best cast ever.

85. jentario
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 5:18 am | Permalink

Adrien Seguer Vicente,

It’s The Children. You know what to expect.
    And Alfie Allen’s time to shine will be in season 5.

86. jentario
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 5:24 am | Permalink

Greenjones,

You know what the worst part is?
    I have scowered YouTube for previous scenes that feature the Oathkeeper theme. Guess what? It only ever appears when the BWB and the Houbd are on screen. So essentially we can’t fucking know if Oathkeeper will be played during Brienne’s fight with the Hound or during a Stoneheart scene. And those are the only options anyway!

It’s as if they planned it from the beginning to tease us. Anyway, the recap should tell us if a certain someone will bookend the season. If there is no hint towards that storyline at all, it’s probably not going to happen in season 4.

87. Patty
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 5:28 am | Permalink

i don’t understand why Natalie summitted herself when she was barely in S4. and i wonder why HBO never summited her this and last year.

88. Our Blades Are Sharp
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 5:42 am | Permalink

With all the nods to “the children” it seems we are going to be blown away next week like a giant arrow through the top of a guy on the wall!

I get how it’s an ansemble cast but none of our peeps get a lead actor? All guest and supporting? We all know GoT leads all other shows anyway in acting talent let em call us support and guest

(Save your troll comments yes I know the difference… I know at least one of you is all “it’s an ensemble show none can lead har har harrrr”)

This is the best show on TV! Period….!!!!!

And where is Alfie and my lord Ramsay? That’s acting!

Oh and my vote for most badass it’s close between Locke but the fooking legend has it!

Karl Tanner FTW!!!!!

89. Awake Iron!
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Pedro,

Don’t forget about the Mountains “fate”, and that payoff scene between Cersei and Jaime!

90. GeekFurious
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Many of you don’t seem to understand that these are submissions, not nominations. No one has been nominated.

91. Lyn
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Natalie Dormer should win imo. With the little material she had she was absolutely wonderful. I don’t understand why everyone is so surprised about her being one of the submitted actresses.

92. strokememarge
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

The children refer across several arcs.

1. Brienne promising to protect Catelyn’s children.
    2. Tywin’s children
    3. Dany’s children
    4. CotF

Best prosthetic makeup can only refer to number 4, number 3 is effects, therefore we can expect heavy makeup and unique look for the CotF.

93. hal
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:51 am | Permalink

Lyn,

bc she submitted herself, unlike the others who got submitted by HBO, and bc she wasn’t prominent this season, which an regualar supporting actor should be. but imo it’s very telling on who HBO favours, same with Alfie. Natalie wants a nomination but i don’t think she deserves one, even if she’s good.

94. Lyn
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 6:57 am | Permalink

hal,

Well she will probably get a lot more to do next year so I hope she can showcase herself more in season 5. I know she didn’t have a lot to do but she really is an incredible actress.

95. Annara Snow
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:04 am | Permalink

Ser Maestet:

Thing is, this should never be the grounds to exclude him from being nominated for an award called actor in a supporting role in an ensemble show like GoT.

I am the only one who has been annoyed, for many years now, by the practice of nominating lead actors in ensemble shows as “supporting”? Who is the main character of GoT? Nobody? The White Walkers? The Iron Throne? I get why they have to go along with it, that way Dinklage etc. have a better chance at getting nominated and/or winning, but it’s like the Emmys are cheating and saying, here’s the second lead actor and lead actress category. Why not just make it a 10 candidates category or something, and make the supporting category about actual supporting actors rather than stars of the show.

96. Azzy Mahmood
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:07 am | Permalink

If Charles Dance, Pedro Pascal and Dame Diana Rigg DON’T win, it is a fix. All have been monumental this season and have each been utterly compelling.

Interesting that there’s a prosthetic make-up one there for the final episode…cannot wait.

97. House Threepwood
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:09 am | Permalink

I’m rooting for Pedro.He crushed it..wait.. oh.

98. hal
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,

it’s not the Academy who decide who is a lead or supporting actor but the network/show. a lead actor is the face of the show, get tons of screentime and the A storyline aka the most important one(a supporting actor gets the B storyline). he/she is the person the show and the other characters circle around, you can’t say this about Peter or Emilia or Kit, even if Peter gets the most screentime HBO still thinks he’s a supporting actor on an assemble show and there is nothing wrong with that. the reason why Peter won an Emmy/GG is bc he got submitterd as supporting, has lead he would not have a chance.

99. Udi Assaf
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

M,

This!
    Really happy at the other noms, especially for NCW, Peter, Sophie, Maisie and Pedro. But no Alfie Allen is a major letdown.

100. Annara Snow
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:26 am | Permalink

Mladen:

Sibel Kekilli submitted herself last year, the show only submitted Clarke, Fairley and Headey. Dormer may have been submitting herself, too.

101. Annara Snow
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:29 am | Permalink

hal:
    Annara Snow,

They decide that way because they know they wouldn’t have a chance in the “lead” category. That doesn’t change anything I’ve said. A main character is not necessarily “the person the show and the other characters circle around”, your definition would mean that GoT (and ASOAIF) have no main characters at all and that everyone is “supporting”, which is absurd. Who are they supporting?

Also, there doesn’t have to be just one lead actor or actress. Many films and shows have two or more leads. For instance, it’s clear that both Dancy and Mikkelsen are leading actors on Hannibal (and the credits reflect that). For many years, the Academy and Emmys have had a practice to nominate one actor and one actress from the same show as “actor/actress in a lead role”. Now, if the main character is just one person everyone else circles around, how can they be a main male and main female? It’s not like all those movies and shows are romances. And if there can be more than one lead (and there definitely can), why not just acknowledge that in general? You can have two male leads or two female leads just as you can have a male and female lead. And you can also have more than two leads. But the Oscars have been as bad as the Emmys in that respect; witness ridiculous things like John Travolta being nominated as lead actor and Samuel L . Jackson as supporting in Pulp Fiction (for roles of the same screentime and importance), or Emma Thompson for lead and Kate Winslet for supporting in Sense and Sensibility (same thing) or, the most absurd of all, Kevin Spacey being nominated (and winning) for supporting actor in Usual Suspects.

102. The illborn
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Maynard Plumm:
    •Outstanding Prosthetic Make-up: “The Children”

Hmmm…

Indeed

103. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:39 am | Permalink

I’m surprised Sibel did not submit herself again this time

104. FtheFreys
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Marco,

Peggy is the lead actress on that show.

105. Alice
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Turncloak:
    I’m glad Sibel did not submit herself again this time

Here, fixed it.

106. Kris R. Bates
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Can’t wait to see the last episode now!

107. hal
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,
    you were saying that Peter is a lead actor and should get nominated has such, and that Alfie then can get a nomination for supporting. what i’m trying to say is that Peter isn’t THE lead but one of the leads ence a supporting actor. GoT has main characters/actors, the ones HBO nominated this year, plus Alfie and Isaac, but they can’t be all leads and choosing two leading actors(like Petr/Emilia) can lead to suing(like Modern Family), bc they have the same credits/body of work of the others main actors. maybe with a new contract things will change but i doubt.

108. David
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Annara Snow,

but most shows only have 1-2 leads, when you have more then two leads it’s supporting. it’s a matter of credits and contracts, having 5-8 lead actors, like in thrones, is simply stupid, bc they have to have the same contracts, same screentime, same salary. it’s impossible. supporting actor can differ from another supporting actor, like Peter is payed more then the Stark kids. if Peter and the stark kids were leads, they should get paid the same as Peter. see here?? money!!
    Alfie can submitt himself but i think he doesn’t give a f-ck about it.

109. Carne
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:26 am | Permalink

EPISODE 10 spoilers from the Emmy PDF:

The Children – June 15, 2014

Synopsis:
    An unexpected arrival north of the wall changes circumstances. Dany is forced to face some harsh realities.
    Bran learns more of his destiny. Tyrion sees the truth of his situation.

Technical Description:
    Wight Attack: 4 hero, 3 mid full head silicone make-ups. Green suits with full body skeletal appliances for
    VFX to create negative space. Half-torso harnessed to actor’s back.

Man In Roots:
    Full facial and forearm silicone appliances. False body section with several integrated resin and foam
    branches.

Mountain: Silicone appliances for infected torso wounds. Silicone arm and torso for blood letting/injections.

Hound: Silicone burn facial makeup. Appliances: neck, ear injuries; leg compound fracture.

Jane Walker, Department Head Makeup Artist
    Barrie Gower, Prosthetic Designer

110. A Man Grown
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:42 am | Permalink

The Children will have to be one of the best TV episodes ever made to have a chance against Breaking Bad “Ozymandias” for writing. Here’s hoping!

111. B
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 8:52 am | Permalink

The Actors nominations never make sense to me! Why do they leave out clearly superior performances. Emila Clarke, really??? She has the most divisive critic commentary after her performances -I think more than any other actor on the show. Last year, the actress who protrays Shae??? They didn’t nominate Sophie or Masie last year right? That’s just crazy. I am glad they got a nod this year. Did they even nominate the actress who played Catelyn Stark last year? Come on???!!! Alfie Should be there for sure this season!This is just ridiculous.

112. Johnny Camp

117. Balerion The Cat
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Carne,

This doesn’t look good for LS, damn it! :(

118. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

jkb: yep, LS this season seems less and less likely ;((

The Emmy ballot (and I can’t believe I went to look at this) shows that for straight makeup, they submitted the Oathkeeper episode, with the crucified slavemasters.

Maybe just wait and watch the episode? I don’t get why people want everything ruined for them ahead of time. Or validated. Or everything.

119. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I still have hopes to see LS since Lena Headey posted that spoiler on Instagram. We’ll see

120. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

It would of course be much more fun if the “Prosthetic Makeup” description was along these lines: “Enlarged penis attached to real penis of actor Kristian Nairn. Actor Nairn disputes this characterization.”

121. wizardeyes
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Really hope Charles Dance at least gets a nom – he deserves it so much!

Especially as this will be his last chance to get one for GoT

122. Blind Beth
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:34 am | Permalink

This increases my excitement for “The Children” by about 10x, and I could already barely contain myself.

Not spoiling my husband is getting REALLY hard, lol.

123. jkb
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: Oy vey. How do you people figure? What prosthetics would be involved in that case? It would just be straight makeup – lightening the face, perhaps, the application of a scar. Crikey. Also, if LS is not in the episode, that does not mean the episode IS A FAILURE.

nobody said the episode is gonna be a failure without LS, just many people are passionate about that scene and are afraid it’s being cut.

124. Ryoko Masaki
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:39 am | Permalink

I think Natalie Dormer is smart to put her name in the hat. I think everyone knows there is no way she will get nominated this season. However, a little name recognition couldn’t hurt for next season when she will be central to what is going on in King’s Landing.

125. Walter Harrow
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Maisie Williams deserves it for her performance in the first episode alone

126. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Looking at the ballot for Supporting Actor:

I think Dinklage is a lock for this year and right now I’d call him the front-runner. And per what many above have suggested, I think he’s reached the point where it would be perfectly legit to submit him as a lead, though that would diminish his chances at winning.

Other strong contenders:
    –F Murray Abraham in Homeland (he rocked it this year on a weak year for the show)
    –Josh Charles probably gets in there for Good Wife in his last year on the show
    –Tony Goldwyn has a good chance for the much-loved Scandal
    –Either John Slattery or Vincent Kartheiser will get in there for Mad Men, more than likely
    –I’d love to see Michael Kenneth Williams get in there as Chalky White but probably won’t happen. He was great, though.
    –Dean Norris looks like a good bet for Breaking Bad

127. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:51 am | Permalink

jkb,

Oh, I completely agree. I want to see it very badly. But a lot of people got themselves worked up last year based on “JUST BECAUSE” and “I LISTENED TO THE SOUNDTRACK AND THERE’S A TELLTALE ‘BONG’ SOUND AT THE END” (boy, was that a nutty theory) and contributed to some of the disappointment people felt with the finale. I too agree that Mhysa is the weakest of the season enders for the odd closing note of Dany crowd-surfing, but people went a little nuts last year, and I’m starting to see that again, is all.

128. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Ryoko Masaki: Also, I would like to see Pedro not only get a nomination, but I would like to see him win it. He truly gave an amazing performance this season.

I agree, with my feelings only being tempered by Lou Gossett Jr’s awesomeness in Boardwalk Empire, and one line that kind of applies to GoT: “Sooner or later, everybody run out of road.”

129. Clob
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Always interesting to see which episodes they think are the better ones, and which aren’t. They’re starting to put a lot of weight on “The Children.” High expectations be damned.

So glad they submitted Maisie finally. I wish when considering it would be a culmination of her role instead of just this season. She continues to do very well, but I still think some of her strongest scenes were previous to this year. I’ll guess that the chances of a nomination are slight, but if they do her part properly in the adaptation then season 5 could really raise those for her.

130. Monica
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Charles Dance and Pedro Pascal, this year!

We all want LS. Nymeria would have been great, too. We’ve seen enough ways to die.

131. Jared
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber

This, 100%. There are numerous possible explanations to account for the absence of Certain Things in that description. If four years of Game of Thrones fandom should have taught us anything, it’s that frantically speculating and prematurely ranting about what may or may not be in the episode based on fragments of leaked information almost never works out for anyone involved. Let’s all just take a deep breath and wait for Sunday.

On an unrelated note … a compound leg fracture for the Hound? Jesus. Even if he doesn’t actually die in the finale, our favorite Clegane brother is going to be in for a seriously rough time this Sunday.

132. Kris
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

I usually don’t like any whining but I am going to be crazy disappointed if no like Lady Stoneheart, like deeply disappointed….

133. Tony
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Ear injurie for the hound? Gwendoline said that she’s going to bite a man’s ear maybe it’s the hound that she’s going to bite

134. jentario
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Johnny Camp,

No Tyrion either then. Unless his scar magically heals.

135. Ton
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

136. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

Only semi-serious here (as I am desperate for a woman with a heart of stone), but has anyone thought how they could possibly reinterpret LS? Maybe as a ghost? Maybe an amalgamation with Nymeria? Maybe Beric/Thoros have stumbled across her body and have incorporated her vengeful spirit? I remain fatally optimistic!

Carne,

Thx for that…BR is going to be so cool!

Ton,

And break his leg too…!If Arya is to get away though, what will become of Brienne?

137. Mister Stoneheart
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Ton,

Of course he’s the one she bites.

With Jaime headed South next year, and Brienne bumping into the Hound, I think we can safely write off the Lady being in the show, and that disappoints me.

138. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Mister Stoneheart:
    Ton,

Of course he’s the one she bites.

I can’t believe we’re doing this again. Last year it was a music cue on the soundtrack that was “evidence” of something happening. This year it’s the Emmy ballot submission for PROSTHETIC MAKEUP that is “evidence” of something not happening.

Excuse me while I go set myself on fire.

139. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Carne,

Thanks as always Carne. Love your scoops

140. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:
    Excuse me while I go set myself on fire.

You’re hot, ser.

Wait…Stannis & Mel may want to chant a few things before you get your torch.

141. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I don’t care about the other awards, but if they don’t win Outstanding Hairstyling for The Lion and the Rose, there is no justice in the world.

142. Maynard Plumm
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

It’s true what people say; expectations are a bitch, but…

…I’m going to go there anyway.

In addition to Lena’s tweet/image I have to go back to Sophie’s interview a while ago. I may be seeing only what I want to see, but is it possible that she’s only talking about the Tyrion/Tywin/Shae scene here? It’s either that or LS, and in my mind, it makes much more sense with it being the latter.

“And it’s one of those, like in the last three seasons you get chills at the end, but this one is actually really good because it takes the storyline to a whole new level of a particular storyline. And you’re like ‘WOW.’ Then you can’t wait for the next season.”

Turner added, “It’s a hopeful turn. It’s dramatic but it’s like, for once ‘GOT’ isn’t so depressing.”

143. Laura
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Maynard Plumm:
    It’s true what people say; expectations are a bitch, but…

…I’m going to go there anyway.

she say “It’s a hopeful turn”and “isn’t so depressing” my guess is the COTF.

144. Mister Stoneheart
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Greatjon of Slumber,

I’m kind of purposefully setting myself up for disappointment, so I can pleasantly surprised. ;)

The Jaime to Dorne is troubling, Although we did have Mel’s amazingly fast journey across land to nab Gendry and whisk him back in record time, so….

145. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hodor’s Bastard,

Is there a way to work Trashcan Man into GoT?

Maynard Plumm:
    It’s true what people say; expectations are a bitch, but…

…I’m going to go there anyway.

I still think it happens. Evidence is slim, but Lena’s instagram speaks a lot, and you could easily consider all that “hopeful” if it’s not Brienne meeting up with them (and it appears it won’t be) but a couple of jerkoff Freys who deserve it. Also the Tyrion/Tywin/Shae thing doesn’t come across as hopeful – Tyrion takes out someone he loved in a wrenching way, who is as much a victim as he is, and takes revenge on the man who tormented him his whole life. It’s not all that hopeful. The Children of the Forest is interesting and awesome and weird, but we’ve already gotten a clue that Bran is headed to a strange place. (It is a good option, though, probably the leading one if not for LS.) Whereas LS coming out of nowhere to take down some bastard Freys actually is a crowd-pleaser after 3 seasons of the Starks being scattered to the wind and running for their lives. I know when I read ASoS I was like, “YEAAAAH!!!”

146. Greatjon of Slumber
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Mister Stoneheart:
    Greatjon of Slumber,

Greatjon of Slumber,

I’m kind of purposefully setting myself up for disappointment, so I can pleasantly surprised.;)

The Jaime to Dorne is troubling,Although we did have Mel’s amazingly fast journey across land to nab Gendry and whisk him back in record time, so….

It’s not a bad way to go. And that thing you mention above could play a part, but you can easily see that taking up the first half of the year, and then this the second half of the year, y’know?

But maybe I should be quiet now and stop obsessing myself.

147. B
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

Yes! Lou Gosset def needs to be in the race. He was great on BDWLK

148. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber,

One of my all-time fav characters! Nothing better than a schizophrenic pyromaniac running around Westeros! Call D&D now! “Oh shit, what is he carrying with him???? Ahhhhh! *kabooomm*

Actually, Trashy probably would have quite a lot of competition with the level of psychotic survivalist behavior apparent in ASoI&F.

149. jentario
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

HBO is doing a very good job of hiding Stoneheart, if she’s in the episode.

150. Jill
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Matt Sinopoli:

This. There is absolutely no way it doesn’t win.

151. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

strokememarge: Argona

Oh yeah, I get that. I was referring to “The Children” track on the soundtrack, which has a very hopeful theme, mixed with the “King in the North” theme. I am guessing that the track will essentially be heralding the “rise” of the Stark children, in many ways. They are growing up and gaining power.

152. jentario
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else know if Walder Frey has a scene in the finale? I remember seeing an interview like a year ago where the actor said so.

153. sati
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Tyrion Pimpslap,

I’m thinking Thoros may start explaining her at 3:18 of Oathkeeper – afer small fight with ear biting Brienne- and then her lowering the hood is before the end. With my luck though from 3:18 – the most gorgeous part of soundtrack this year -will be end credits and LS reveal will be after this weird action part in the middle of the track.

Lightning Lord,

His work has been absolutely stellar each year, if anyone on that show deserves awards it’s him

154. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:
    Looking at the ballot for Supporting Actor:

Other strong contenders:
    –Josh Charles probably gets in there for Good Wife in his last year on the show
    –Tony Goldwyn has a good chance for the much-loved Scandal
    –Dean Norris looks like a good bet for Breaking Bad

Good list. And F. Murray Abraham is the ONLY Doran Martell, IMO.

155. Joshua Atreides
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Lena Headey: Oh what a joy it is to be in the garden. Maybe I can read the last 50 pages of A Storm of Swords now that the kid is at school. Oh look at these rocks…I’ll just arrange them like so. Ha! I’m going to post this on Instagram because I’m kooky that way…

Minutes later…

ASOIAF fans: OMFG!!!!! Lady fucking Stoneheart!

After June 15:

ASOIAF fans: god damn you Lena Headey!!!!!!!!!

Lena: what’s with all the hate mail?

156. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides,

Maybe Lena was trying to troll D&D on her friend’s behalf?

(LH and MF were great together onstage in Australia…some moments were totally tongue-in-cheek!)

157. Tony
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Happy HBO finally decided to nominate Sophie and Maisie! Was about time! They must think they have at least an outside chance of getting nominate then. Not so for Isaac i guess who hasnt featured as much.
    While Maisie has had stronger material in earlier seasons imho Sophie clearly has had her best material this year. And with the strange way the nominations work (just one episode? why not the entire season?!) her chances might improve since she was so strong in ep8. Peter and Pedro also hsd outstanding scenes in 6 and 7 respectively. Those are the 3 best bets i dare say. (where can you see which epsiodes were put forward) Dont
    think Diana will get in. She was more memorable last year. Peter and Pedro really have a chance of winning. Which episode did Emilia get submitted? Cause she was stronger in S3 too. Same for Lena. She should really shine next year (same for Natalie)

158. mariamb
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber: No! No! You cannot “safely” write off anything! You have no evidence, just ABSENCE of evidence.

Excuse me while I go set myself on fire.

Completely agree. I am not writing off this character’s appearance because of lack of evidence. Why? See below…

jentario:
    HBO is doing a very good job of hiding Stoneheart, if she’s in the episode.

I think that’s it. They are doing a great job of hiding LS because they know they we are analyzing every second of the finale teaser, every interview, etc for a clue. I don’t see any reason to eliminate her and, thematically, her intro is appropriate to the end of this season. How they do it should be the question…is she hanging Freys, is she in the cave with the BWB…lots of possibilities.

My only concern is how all that we expect to see will fit into a 66-minute episode.

159. Tony
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Greatjon of Slumber:
    Hodor’s Bastard,

Is there a way to work Trashcan Man into GoT?

I am 90% sure we’ll get Stoneheart hanging Freys yeah. Lena didnt make that for nothing! ;) Her pic with Pedro is even more evidence now! It would be a major troll move of her if it wasnt IN :)
    I DONT think we’ll get Bran as a finale scene. Because Bloodraven has been cast. A rescue in the final scene wouldnt make sense cause they have got Bloodraven. That’s 2 seperate scenes at least…

final order:
    4. Bran 3. Tyrion 2. Stannis 1. Stoneheart i think…
    They cant put Tyrion at the very end because otherwise unsullied will realize there is no time left to chop his head off…

160. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Joshua Atreides:
    Lena Headey:Oh what a joy it is to be in the garden. Maybe I can read the last 50 pages of A Storm of Swords now that the kid is at school. Oh look at these rocks…I’ll just arrange them like so. Ha! I’m going to post this on Instagram because I’m kooky that way…

Minutes later…

ASOIAF fans: OMFG!!!!! Lady fucking Stoneheart!

After June 15:

ASOIAF fans:god damn you Lena Headey!!!!!!!!!

Lena: what’s with all the hate mail?

LMFAO!!! I love this. I hope ur wrong though :p

161. sati
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Tony,

Stannis will be sooner, Melisandre has one more scene in finale

162. Matt Sinopoli
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Tony:

final order:
    4. Bran 3. Tyrion 2. Stannis 1. Stoneheart i think…

Oooh I like the order you put that in. I was expecting Stannis and the stuff at the Wall to wrap up early in the episode but that would be great. Give him the big moment so many people were expecting last week instead of having it be overshadowed by the other stuff. I hope you’re right!

163. Turncloak
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Just thought of an amazing theory. What if it’s The Blackfish that fights with The Hound next episode instead of Brienne?

164. jkb
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

mariamb

they’re hiding it very well alright…. unless they aren’t at all and it’s just not happening. which would make lena’s picture a troll of the year btw ;)

the reason i’m so paranoid is theoretically they could cut LS from the show altogether and carry on with the story just fine. nobody was worried if RW will be on the show because it absolutely had to, LS doesn’t.

oh well, we’re just gonna have to wait and see, but i’d rather be prepared for the worst.

165. House Mormont
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

There’s only three actors that got enough screen time in a single episode this season to have a chance

Dinklage – episode 6, maybe episode 7

Lena – episode 5, maybe episode 2

Sophie Turner – episode 8

I think Sophie is a good outside chance, she’s very young very beautiful and very talented, a great curveball

I guess we don’t have a chance against breaking bad’ s last season do we? Which is a shame because imo season 4 is as strong as TV gets

166. mariamb
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

jkb

I don’t think that any of us can say whether or not LS is essential to the story. Without knowing the end, how can we say what role she may play in future events? She may prove to be nothing more than a vengeful zombie that kills a few Freys. Alternatively, her rise may signal the return of the “wolves” and power coming back to the Starks. She also may play a role in the death of a major character, knowing who is headed her way in ADWD.

We are not usually denied the shocking, dramatic moments from the books. (Whether we are pleased with the execution of them is a different discussion.) I can’t imagine that she will not appear, particularly since Catelyn has been mentioned in nearly every episode.

Still getting signed out every time I refresh the page…

167. Valaquen
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

I don’t expect Brienne to meet LS, only because she meets her in AFFC and I think they’ll go for the epilogue from ASOS instead, with the BWB hanging Freys. They’ll probably meet up next season.

168. Michelle
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Stoked that they submitted Charles Dance and NCW, even though they have a snowball’s chance in Hades of being nominated.

Regarding the end of the finale…S1 ended with the dragons (fire), S2 with the White Walkers (Ice), S3 with Dany and the unfortunate crowd surfing (fire). If the pattern holds then S4 should be something ice related. Which means either Bran and Bloodraven, Jon and the Wall or LS. Just a thought.

169. Daniellica
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Stannis saves the day is also a hopeful/not depressing thing?

And why do people think that this is the only time they can introduce LS? Perhaps they want to save the moment for when they can do all her scenes at once, and it doesn’t sound like Brienne will be in a position to encounter them by next week. If she doesn’t make the show, I suspect it will have to do with the difficulty in securing the actress and/or not wanting to take any chances on that front. But there is no evidence she’s been cut. She may not appear in the finale, but she may appear next season when Brienne is ready for it.

Not a guess, but wouldn’t it be awesome if Brienne had to go to Dorne to track Jamie down? Just to see her react to the environment, to the empowered women, but she’d be an even greater fish out of water down there.

Anyway, point is I have no idea what’s going to happen, and neither do any of you. Speculating is fun, but when it becomes decidedly not-fun, why do such a thing? Life inflicts enough misery without the effort to produce more.

170. Aaron
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Ser Maestet,

True, he was only in three episodes but his three episodes were incredible while Kit’s were alright and he was in 7 or 8?

171. Arya Arya
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I’m sure they submitted Maisie in Season 2 so this would be the second year she has been submitted.

I don’t honestly think any of the females will be actually nominated. I don’t think any of them have done Emmy worthy performances thus far although there is the season finale yet to come.

Maisie Williams sublime acting as the Hound does his chicken speech in episode 1 is still my favourite of the whole season.

Whilst Lena and Sophie have both had great moments, in their biggest moments this season (Sophie in ep 8 and Lena in ep 2), their lines/reactions were a little clunky. You don’t want to be clunky in the big moments.

As for Natalie and Emilia, eh give me a break. Neither should be considered.

172. Tony
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Arya Arya:
    POSTED JUNE 10, 2014 AT 4:38 PM | PERMALINK
    Stannis saves the day is also a hopeful/not depressing thing?

Maisie was NOT put on the list for season 2. Dont you remember how everyone fell over Maisie and Sophie not getting chosen for their performances by HBO?!

Clunky?! Really?? I think you need to rewatch that.
    With the emmy structure clearly a lot of material in one episode is to be preferred over a few scenes.

Can anyone post a link to the detailed info = which episodes actors went for? Since that’s clearly available but i cant find it…
    Maisie should got for E1 yeah i agree (or 10?!)

173. Nancy
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Mladen,

I have to agree with you on all points. Natalie Dormer, as much as I love her, has had hardly anything to do to really warrant a submission, I wish someone would have told her to hold off. And out of the women submitted for supporting, I think the best chances are Sophie and Lena. Dinklage is a shoo-in for a nod, as are Pascal and Rigg. I would have submitted Alfie over Kit, if I were HBO.

174. Hodor's Bastard
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Turncloak,

I would support that. I do think he is headed that direction anyway…post-Riverrun. Please give BF something to do!

175. SkyWrathMage
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 4:16 am | Permalink

Seriously, guys. I know we all want for an appearance of Lady Stoneheart but all released details actually leads to a no.

For The Children, we would have,
    Tyrion & Jaime & Varys on the excape plan (on the preview)
    Cersei & Tywin confrontation (on the preview)
    Cersei & Jaime (the kiss, on the preview)
    Tyrion & Tywin
    Tyrion & Shae
    Drogon eating a child
    Dany finds out Drogon’s actions and gets all her dragons chained
    Jon and Mance confrontation, which I think will not be a short one
    Stannis’ arrival to save the day
    Hound vs. Brienne
    Arya’s escape and we’ll see her getting on a boat to Braavos
    Bran & the Co. near the great Weirwood tree (on the preview)
    Bran & Hodor vs Wights
    Bran meets Children of the Forest
    Bran enters cave, meets the “Man in Roots” a.k.a. Bloodraven, Three Eyed Raven”

Though not in chronological order, there’s too much action on this episode that they decided to move Sansa’s and Ramsay’s Reek’s story arcs to end early on Episode 8.

Remember last Season’s “Mhysa” when almost everyone KNEW Lady Stoneheart would appear. Then almost everyone’s wrong.

I also believe they’re moving Lady Stoneheart for Season 5. I kinda think they need to add more climaxes for Season 5, in hoping to surpass the epicness of Season 4.

I don’t want you to feel bad or anything, it’s better not to expect anything. But I’d definitely kill them if Lady Stoneheart wasn’t in the TV Show at all.

176. Nancy
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 8:03 am | Permalink

als,

There is no anti-fantasy bias, not for Game of Thrones. If there was, the show wouldn’t get a single nomination. 42 nominations in three seasons is not a show getting ignored (want to talk ignored, Sons of Anarchy, Star Trek: TNG and other shows) Yes, it has not won best show yet but it’s been up against some great competition. As for the actors, screen time is a major handicap. HBO learned from season 1 when they submitted Sean and Lena for best actor and actress and they did not get a nomination. In my opinion, if Sean was submitted as supporting actor, he would have been a deserving winner, even over Dinklage. But as the show has grown in scope and cast since season 1, screen time has been at a premium for these folks. When you are talking about the potential follow nominees in the supporting category who are basically second or third leads on their respective shows and GoT cast who are one in a large ensemble, it’s difficult to break through. The ladies of Game of Thrones have to be at least thankful that Orange is the New Black is submitting in comedy because Kate Mulgrew will probably walk away with best supporting actress. And if Woody Harrelson is going for supporting actor in a drama, well, I can’t say it won’t be a tough call between him and Dinklage, both would be deserving. I have no idea if HBO submitted Woody as best actor or supporting. Dean Norris is another one who is deserving in that category. He was excellent in the last Breaking Bad season and I think more worthy of a nod then even Aaron Paul.
    I also wanted to add that I think Rory Mc Cann was submission worthy as well. He really stood out this season.

177. Tatters
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

SkyWrathMage,

This is no evidence that she wont appear. Its just assumptions like everyone else. She will appear because thats how the book ends.

178. Tatters
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Arya Arya,

Well, Emilia is a favortie with emmy experts.

179. SkyWrathMage
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Tatters,

Yeah, just assumptions. But ending in the books doesn’t mean it’s the ending for the show as well. I’m pretty sure that the last scene would either be

1) Bran meets Bloodraven and/or Children of the Forest
    2) Dany chains her dragons (though I’d personally go with the earlier
    3) Another scene that was intended for The Winds of Winter (a scene which even bookies doesn’t know yet, just like the White Walker ceremony on Oathkeeper)

And they can’t just put Lady Stoneheart somewhere in the middle. That would cancel much of the shock. So yeah, I’d definitely go for LS appearance on Season 5. :D

I’m just trying to not expect anything. I don’t want to get disappointed by Lady Stoneheart’s absence just like on Mhysa, which I’m pretty sure I expected, too.

180. SkyWrathMage
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Tatters:
    SkyWrathMage,

1) Bran meets Bloodraven and/or Children of the Forest
    2) Dany chains her dragons (though I’d personally go with the earlier

181. Eric
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

So what episodes is everybody going to submit? You can see from the ballot that Pascal went with Mockingbird (by far his best episode), and Diana Rigg chose The Lion and the Rose (as good as any for her I suppose), but if I had to guess the others I’d say:

NCW: Oathkeeper
    Charles Dance: either Breaker of Chains for the Tommen scene or The Laws of Gods and Men
    Peter Dinklage: The Laws of Gods and Men
    Kit Harington: The Watchers on the Wall
    Emilia Clarke: Breaker of Chains
    Natalie Dormer: The Lion and the Rose, I guess? She hasn’t really had a huge blow away episode this year. Oathkeeper could work too.
    Lena Headey: First of His Name
    Sophie Turner: The Mountain and the Viper
    Maisie Williams: Two Swords

This is of course assuming that none of them submit the Children, which should be a huge episode for a lot of people, especially Dinklage and Dance.

182. Baramos
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

M,

Season 2 would have been his year, but the Dinklage was too strong.

Still confused why they put Dinklage up for season 3 instead of Nikolaj.

183. AliKat
    Posted June 11, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

Glad to see Maisie and Sophie on the list finally. I think this is the first year they’ve been on it and Maisie should have been nominated for S2-3 for sure. Although this year her part has been scaled back quite a bit.

If Pedro doesn’t win it for the scene with Peter in the cell (the discussion about Tyrion as a baby), its proof that the Emmys hate GOT. Its gotten no love since Peter won his (in season 1 I think???) and the show has gotten better each year.

184. OhDanyBoy
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 10:12 am | Permalink

jentario,

If he is in, LS is pretty much confirmed. If he is out, the opposite.

185. Ser Measter
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Tony,
    According to this article she was submitted for season 2′

186. What is dead may never pay
    Posted June 12, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I have a feeling that Lady Stoneheart will be the cold opening of the season 5 premiere.

187. Ashton Lee
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Peter really should win again. He was fantastic on the trial and also on the Purple Wedding, plus I’m sure he’ll absolutely nail the finale. Can’t wait to see it.

188. Jill Abbyalice
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:47 am | Permalink

I like Jon Snow.Kit Harington.

189. Jill Abbyalice
    Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:50 am | Permalink

Jon Snow is the most anticipated. The ninth set is the best.

190. Jill Abbyalice
    Posted June 17, 2014 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Combined with Asians court fight game will be more exciting.

191. Linda aiviel
    Posted June 20, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Alfie Allen has gave such a strong performance, Thew out his storylines. He has grown as an unforgettable character. I feel he should be in the best supporting category. There are others that are nominated that didn’t come close to his perfomance as an actor! Sorry Alfie Allen, but you belong in the best supporting category! Your such a great actor!

1. […] –> Cliquez ici pour voir toutes les propositions d’HBO […]