New details about Game of Thrones season five filming in Seville
By Ours is the Fury on in Filming, News.

Alcazar Water Gardens

The latest news from Spain is that location shoots for season five of Game of Thrones will happen in October, from the 14th to the 22nd at the Real Alcázar in Seville, and then the show will move on to Osuna.  Preparations of the alcázar will begin the week before.

ABC.es reports that production will film inside the Mudéjar Palace of the alcázar for the first three days, and  will work exclusively in the gardens for the remaining six days shoot in Seville.

Mercury Fountain at Alcazar SevilleAdditionally, according to ABC.es, HBO has retained special permission to dye dark blue the waters of the pond surrounding the statue of Mercury. The show will use an eco-friendly product that evaporates several days after being used in the water.

The statue featured in the center of the pond is over four hundred years old, having been sculpted by Diego de Pesquera and cast by Bartolome Morel in 1576. Though there were initial misgivings, eventually an exception was made due to the importance of the Water Gardens of Dorne in season five.

The article notes that since they are filming within the palace, very few extras will be used.

After Seville shooting concludes, the cast and crew will move on to Osuna, where reportedly a “great battle” is going to be filmed.

Ours is the Fury: The alcázar is a beautiful location, the perfect Water Gardens. As for Osuna, I’m still curious whether it’s something involving the bull ring. It certainly seems like a great candidate for Meereen’s climax in season five, though they were scouting other locations in that area.

1. Lemingas
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Quentyn Martell

2. Greenjones
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Another great picture of a balcony where Doran could (in the words of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards) “sit and watch the children play” from.

3. Roger König
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I am quite sure the city’s name is Osasuna ;)

4. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Roger König:
    I am quite sure the city’s name is Osasuna ;)

No is not lol

Osasuna is the name of a football team from Pamplona, Navarra…that’s 1000km away from Osuna, Andalucia ;)

Edit: Osasuna is a basque word that means “Health”

5. patchface
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Osasuna is a football team but they’re in the Basque country, not Andalusia.

6. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

patchface:
    Osasuna is a football team but they’re in the Basque country, not Andalusia.

No they’re not, they are in Pamplona, Navarra (where they host the running of the bulls), wich is not part of the Basque country, although is part of Euskal Herria

7. Winnie
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Perfect place for the water gardens, but I wonder what battle they’ll be shooting in Osuna?!? Couldn’t be the Battle of Mereen could it?

8. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Winnie,
    Battle in a warm climate? Has to be Meereen. Why not shoot that in Croatia though…I don’t see the streets of Osuna as being more illustrative of Meereen than the cities they are already in. I googled Osuna, Spain and then Sibenik, Croatia. The windows on what shots I could find of Osuna looked too modern with the steel bars. Then again, what do I know. I trust their judgement. They could be shooting part of it in Croatia and part in Spain for all I know.

Pau Soriano,

Totally OT, are you Basque? A co-worker/friend of my fiance is Basque (either half or full, father immigrated to US). I don’t think he speaks it though…a shame.

9. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ:
    Winnie,
    Battle in a warm climate?Has to be Meereen. Why not shoot that in Croatia though…I don’t see the streets of Osuna as being more illustrative of Meereen than the cities they are already in. I googled Osuna, Spain and then Sibenik, Croatia.The windows on what shots I could find of Osuna looked too modern with the steel bars.Then again, what do I know.I trust their judgement.They could be shooting part of it in Croatia and part in Spain for all I know.

Pau Soriano,

Totally OT, are you Basque?A co-worker/friend of my fiance is Basque (either half or full, father immigrated to US).I don’t think he speaks it though…a shame.

No, I’m Catalan…we share some things but we’re not the same ;)

10. House Mormont
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Wow HBO is really pushing the boat out, not just a new country but such noble sites, and even getting permission from high up to dye the waters! Man I love HBO

Btw what do the HBO producers on the show actually do? I never hear about them? Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield and the other one

11. House Mormont
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Also THE BATTLE OF MEEREEN?? I am pumped. Goosebumps. There are Goosebumps.

12. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

In Osuna they will shoot in the Bullring most likely. No Battles there

13. Patty Maner
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

House Mormont,

Agreed. I love the new location. Perfect for Dorne, just the way I imagined but better.

14. Luka Nieto Garay
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ,

I’m Basque, from Donosti (San Sebastián), if you’ve got any questions.

I’m really curious about Osuna. What “big battle” are they filming there? Daznak’s Pit I would imagine, but that really cannot be classified as a “battle” per se.

15. sjwenings
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Why dark blue? Was it dark blue in the book?

16. Ser Florian
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Battle in Osuna I could see being the Battle of Meereen, but I’d think that’d maybe be getting a bit too far ahead on the Meereen storyline, seeing as it won’t happen ’til Winds of Winter… and they have so much content to fit in to this season already. Alternatively, it could be the (second) Battle of Astapor that Quentyn and crew are involved in, Battle of the Greenblood where Areo Hotah takes Oakheart’s head and the Myrcella plot is stopped, or something invented to start the hostilities between Dany and Yunkai after the diplomatic effort with Daario and Hizdar fails, maybe Tyrion and Jorah being taken by Slavers, or they could just be making more of a “battle” of the Daznak’s Pit scene, the Yunkai’i contingent flying off the handle and attacking Drogon/Dany.

They’d need to reach the end of Dance with the storylines of everyone involved before the Battle of Meereen can happen… Barristan as “Regent” in Dany’s absence, Tyrion and Jorah in the Second Sons’ camp, Quentyn dead (if we get him), the Iron Fleet there (if we get it), Dany with her Khalasar (that’s just my speculation, that Dany and her newly acquired Dothraki horde will turn up to turn the tide of it). And then, after they’ve got to those points, there needs to be time left in the season to show the battle and then show some aftermath. If it’s just Tyrion and Selmy shouldn’t be too big a deal… but if they’re having all the other elements, they might struggle to fit it all in.

17. Hugo Viegas
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it too soon for the battle of Meereen?? just sayin’

18. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

I’m thinking Osuna probably just is the bull ring and Daznak’s pit and that’s what they mean by battle. It is a bit chaotic, maybe they add more fighting to the scene.

sjwenings:
    Why dark blue? Was it dark blue in the book?

Maybe the greenish cast of the pond didn’t look good on film when they tested it. It could be that simple. It looks a little cloudy and reflective in these pictures, so they wanted to darken it.

19. ArgonathofBraavos
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury:

Or they want it to look like people swim in water often, for which a blue would work better than an algae-tinged green.

Personally, I love the aesthetics of green water, but no big whoop.

20. Dolorous Ned
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Ours is the Fury,

Another thought I just had: Maybe it’s not for the water gardens, but for the House of Black and White. There’s a pool with black water in there, which people drink from in order to die.

21. jentario
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Winnie,

I think they mean the Daznak Pit.

22. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Sé que no es lo mismo! :P Español fue mi concentracion menor en la universidad y hemos estudiado mucha historia española…

23. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

ArgonathofBraavos,

The kids could end up with green slime on them and that would look really bad on film. It looks pretty moldy in this pic.

24. jentario
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Luka Nieto Garay,

It wouldn’t be the first time they’d twist the reality around, and certainly there will be some serious fighting in that scene (and burning). If done right, it could become one of the trademark scenes of the entire show, so I do understand the notion of calling it a big battle scene.

We already know that there’ll be a snowy battle at some point this season and it could really only be the one thing, I doubt they’ll do both in the same season as neither have been published yet.

Then again, I might be wrong. Maybe episode 9 intercuts between two large battles.

25. Arkash
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I love that idea and if they ever do that, they definitly should call this episode “Ice and Fire” !

26. Winnie
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

Personally that’s what I’m hoping for! I guess whether they include the Battle of Mereen or not depends on how soon they want Dany to sail to Westeros with Tyrion.

27. slaver's scream
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Arkash,

I totally hope they do include both battles… It kinda make a sense from storytelling point of view because otherwise, they’re gonna leave lot of plots unfinished.

“The Song of Ice and Fire” for an episode 9 title!

28. Darquemode
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

Perfect location!
    The team strikes golds again… well dark blue as it were..

My two cents on the upcoming battle mentioned. It’s too early for the Battle of Meereen. I’m not sure I see them including Quentyn, but even if they do I do not see them filming a battle for his arc. Maybe something with Tyrion or the Queenmaker plot, although I don’t see either of those as “big battles” exactly. My bet is it is the stuff in Daznak’s pit.

29. Darquemode
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

jentario,

I’m not sure we will ever see the show do two battles at once played against one another like that. It does sound cool, but also costly! I think they get more bang for their buck if one battle is highlighted at a time.

If it does happen I would think in the final season maybe… I could see them having a larger budget for the final season. If there are multiple huge battles occurring in several places or on several fronts I think it would work very well for a penultimate episode to the final season..

30. loco73
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 1:18 am | Permalink

Ahhh, that pic is beautiful. I envy them working in such beautiful surroundings. I really miss Spain…the country is going through quite rough times right now, especially on the jobs front, so every little bit helps . GoT might generate some temporary work, even for a few weeks, still something, and if it encourages tourism to all these destinations then I think its more than worth it to have the production in town…

Ojala que todo salga bien y que logren encontrar el ambiente necesario para “El Juego De Tronos” y pues que estas localidades le ayuden en producir una estupenda quinta temporada de la serie!

31. Ser Low-Res
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 1:57 am | Permalink

I think they called the CGI-enhanced fight in S4E10 a battle too (when it was teased in advance), so we shouldn’t take the word too literally and expect a battle between armies or navies every time they talk of filming battle scenes.

32. Robin Moss
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 3:07 am | Permalink

Given the four hundred year old statue in the pond and the stated lack of extras used in the filming, I azsume no kids are going to be allowed in the water. They’re probably dieing the water to aid in digitally replacing it with kids filmed in a pool on a set. Like a big watery blue screen.

And the battle is surely the Yunkish versus Drogon and Dany in the pit.

33. jentario
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Ser Low-Res,

Exactly what I thought. They’re talking about the pit, not an actual battle.

Robin Moss,

Hide your spoilers please! You pretty much said it all

34. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 4:07 am | Permalink

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ:
    Pau Soriano,

Sé que no es lo mismo!:PEspañol fue mi concentracion menor en la universidad y hemos estudiado mucha historia española…

Aha pues entonces estate atenta los proximos meses porque algo muy importante está a punto de pasar en Catalunya, especialmente el 11 de Septiembre y el 9 de Noviembre ;)

35. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 5:11 am | Permalink

Those sites really are gorgeous. I’ve only been to the Costa Brava (Cataluna {sp}) in Spain where the beaches are quite stony but even there if you went inland a bit and uphill you could find some green spots. I’m (allegedly) learning Spanish – in a slightly different environment somebody brought in an article about the Spanish Civil War, but that was in Catalan and I couldn’t understand it unfortunately. My brother’s wife is from Colombia but they live a long way away from me so I don’t get the chance to get free Spanish practice…..

I suppose the filming is taking place in the autumn to try and avoid the tourist season….or to avoid the high bright sun of a Spanish summer? I remember when I was in Spain, being a pale but interesting person (well half of that’s true at least) I had to wear a pretty high sun factor protection.

36. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 5:26 am | Permalink

Darquemode,

Off-topic, but I found your blog by chance the other day. Quite enjoyed your fan-castings, even if I might have had slightly different opinions sometimes. I wish they’d do a few on Wic.net – they have in the past. But then if there are going to be some announcements of next year’s castings at the big Comic-Con in America I suppose it might be a tad late in the day for fan-castings.

37. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:14 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia:
    Those sites really are gorgeous.I’ve only been to the Costa Brava (Cataluna {sp}) in Spain where the beaches are quite stony but even there if you went inland a bit and uphill you could find some green spots.I’m (allegedly) learning Spanish – in a slightly different environment somebody brought in an article about the Spanish Civil War, but that was in Catalan and I couldn’t understand it unfortunately.My brother’s wife is from Colombia but they live a long way away from me so I don’t get the chance to get free Spanish practice…..

I suppose the filming is taking place in the autumn to try and avoid the tourist season….or to avoid the high bright sun of a Spanish summer?I remember when I was in Spain, being a pale but interesting person (well half of that’s true at least) I had to wear a pretty high sun factor protection.

Cataluña/Catalunya/Catalonia ;) Not only some green spots, 65% of the surface in Catalonia is considered “woodlands” and close to 50% straight up forests, with many mountain ranges like the Pyrenees etc, giving us a much more mild weather than in Andalusia. More than the tourist season I’d say is because of the weather conditions in summer in Seville, when is normal to reach 40+ºC

38. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:37 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Oh thanks for the information PS. When I went to Spain it was on a “package” tour where you get an overview of Spain with mock bullfights etc rather than to experience the “real” Spain. We were promised a “surprise” one afternoon but it was a trip to a “cava” cellar – they wanted us to buy some cheap “plonk”. We had one trip to a monastery [sorry can't remember its name] and I recall going through woods and seeing greenery then – it was quite far up in the hills (or mountains). If I went to Spain again I think I’d take a different type of holiday even if it meant roughing it a bit camping or whatever.

39. Koka
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 7:11 am | Permalink

Why no one is talking about AstaporVSYunki battle with the corps of the butcher king ?? Maybe this is the battle they ment to shoot ! We heard about the butcher king in s4

40. Karolina
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Roger König,

Osuna is the correct name , Osasuna is a completely different city. Trust me , i grew up in Spain.

41. Darquemode
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

Thanks.
    I did it the past two years, but this year I was not planning on doing it again. I did not have strong feelings for many of the new roles unlike the past, and the few I had strong visual ideas for were not in the leaked list or had changed descriptions (Hotah, Nymeria etc).

Feel free to pop back on there and offer ideas!
    Part of the fun of it is getting others ideas.

42. Lyn
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

You shouldn’t bring politics to this discussion.

43. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Lyn:
    Pau Soriano,

You shouldn’t bring politics to this discussion.

To be fair to Senor Soriano, I mentioned in passing an article about the Spanish Civil War, though I didn’t offer an opinion on the said war either way. I didn’t think what I typed was “political” but sorry if it offended you. I know that my sister-in-law who is from Bogota gets fed up of the stock joke about people from Colombia belonging to drug cartels, especially as she has nothing to do with anything like that, and everybody who makes the joke thinks they are the first one to do so………

44. caliope
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Roger König,

Osasuna is a soccer club of Spain
    Osuna is a village, (Amazing village) Seville, South of Spain :))

45. caliope
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Perfect! I’m spanish and I love Game Of Thrones… I’m happy!

46. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Karolina:
    Roger König,

Osasuna is not a city, is the name of a football club based in Pamplona

Dame of Mercia: To be fair to Senor Soriano, I mentioned in passing an article about the Spanish Civil War, though I didn’t offer an opinion on the said war either way. I didn’t think what I typed was “political” but sorry if it offended you.I know that my sister-in-law who is from Bogota gets fed up of the stock joke about people from Colombia belonging to drug cartels, especially as she has nothing to do with anything like that, and everybody who makes the joke thinks they are the first one to do so………

He/She is not refering to your comment, but to mine to Ms D Ranged in AZ, where I simply stated that interesting times are ahead in Catalunya/Spain but without enetering into details.

You see, the spanish have always thougth they can tell us catalans what we can or we can’t do. Well, now I’m going to go much more into detail tp prove him that they cant, and to show them that trying to forbid things they can only make things worse.
    What is going now in Catalunya at the moment is a process quite similar to the one in Scotland but at the same time quite different. Basically, many of us just had enough and we want a vote to see how many of us are really for Independence so we can secede from the spanish state. So we’re trying to organize a referéndum like the one Scotland is having in September. Unfortunatelly, and unlike the english/british, the spanish won’t let us. Maybe because the polls here are opposite to the ones in scotland, with around 55% in favor and only 25% againts.

So to let the world now that we just want to vote we’ve organized a peaceful demonstration in Barcelona the 11 of September (wich is the 300 anniversary of the fall of Barcelona againts the spanish and french tropos in the spanish succession war) where we aim to have 2 million people in the streets.

From then on, and if we’re succesful, we’ll see if the spanish can keep on stopping the unstoppable ;)

47. Ours is the Fury
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia: I wish they’d do a few on Wic.net – they have in the past. But then if there are going to be some announcements of next year’s castings at the big Comic-Con in America I suppose it might be a tad late in the day for fan-castings.

The Sand Snakes, there wasn’t much point, because people use the same five actresses over and over in fan-castings for these roles, just shifting which Snake they’d like them to be. And it’s clear from the casting call leak that they are going to be very different from what fans imagined anyway.
    And yes, it’s too late for other fan-castings since everything’s locked down now, and a lot of the other roles (Euron, Victarion, Quentyn) we don’t have any reason to think they’re going to be in season five at all.

48. Lyn
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Okay, that’s enough. This is about Game of Thrones, not about Catalonia’s independance. And I would appreciate if you didn’t talk about spanish people as if we were all oppressors when that is far from true. I, for one, am all for the independance.

49. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Ours is the Fury: We did three of these posts already, with four characters. Doran, Arianne, Griff, and Areo Hotah.

Okay, OISF, I understand what you are saying – fan-castings can be fun though when people enter into them with the right spirit. I know that isn’t always the case – some people can say spiteful things (hopefully such folk are in the minority). I don’t know why HBO play their cards quite so close to their chest in casting matters though; are they afraid of another “Nose Gate” I wonder.

50. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Lyn:
    Pau Soriano,

I think P Sauriano was clarifying matters for me to be fair Lyn.

51. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Lyn:
    Pau Soriano,

First of all, Sorry but you are noone to tell me what is enough and what it isn’t. ;)

Second of all, you must be new here because in this corner of the interwebs we are allowed to talk about pretty much anything as long as we are civil to one another. It’s a pretty cool concept

And finally you are right on your last point. When I said “the spanish” what I meant, and should’ve said, was “the spanish state”.

52. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Luka Nieto Garay,

No questions really, just saw that Pau had clarified a word in Basque and I’m kind of a linguaphile and haven’t met anyone who speaks Basque to any degree. :) Like Gaelic, it’s a language that was dying and now appears to be experiencing a resurgence, which is all to the good in my view.

As for the battle, I took them to mean a literal battle, but after reading all the comments here, it appears that they were most likely referring to Daznak’s Pit in Osuna. I’m more excited for the Pit scene than I am for the Battle of Winterfell.

53. Lyn
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Okay, fair enough, but bear in mind that some people might become offended when discussing such matters. That is why I said it’s better not to talk about these things here. They are off-topic and potentially upsetting. I was not trying to limit your freedom of speech.

54. Ms. D. Ranged in AZ
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Lyn,
    I wrote a long reply to you but see you’ve already responded to Pau so I will leave that alone. We do occasionally touch on politics in these threads because 1) the show is shot in our very real world with all it’s attendant politics and problems and 2) the show is very much about the dynamics of power, many aspects of which are political such as economic inequality, gender issues, sexuality, etc, etc, etc. So to a certain degree, it’s inevitable that politics will creep into the discussion. So long as we can be civil, it’s all good.

Now back to GOT filming locations…..I’m thrilled that they’ve chosen Spain. It’s a beautiful place and the economy there could use the influx of cash.

Dame of Mercia,
    You couldn’t pay me enough to take a package tour. I went to Spain about 10 years ago. My best friend rented a car in Madrid at the airport but they only had manual transmissions and she didn’t know how to drive one. I drove most of the way and tried to teach her a little on some of the highways (which are excellent and were practically empty when we were there). We drove down to Toledo, then down to Merida, Sevilla and Cordoba. We basically set our own agenda, stayed in hostels and had a spectacular time. The only thing I would advise people to do is to check the schedules for any of the major tourism sites they wish to visit before they go. For example, we only planned one day in one of the cities, can’t remember which one, and we wanted to tour a functioning palace but it was closed that day (think it was a Monday). So we missed that opportunity. So plan ahead for what sites you want to see and what days you need to be in that town to do it. And wing the rest, it’s a blast!

Pau Soriano,
    Espero que todo vaya bien con la demostración.

55. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Lyn:

No worries!

Ms. D. Ranged in AZ: Espero que todo vaya bien con la demostración.

I’m sure it will!

56. Lior
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

I’d guess they are tinting the water to use as a bluescreen.

57. Noojan
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

They could be creating a “Battle for Astapor” to cover what Daario has been doing. While it would include a lot of invented material, it would be similar to the whole “Mutineers” plot at the wall. Season 5 altogether is a lacking a huge battle (unless you include the battle of ice and fire), so that’s one way to include more battles.

58. Andie
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

First of all sorry for my poor English and likely mistakes.
    I’m sorry you only saw Costa Brava which is from my point of view one of the least beatiful parts of Spain.

Even though Spain is really small compared for example to United States, there are different climate zones and also different cultures. Catalans, andalusians, basques, galicians… we share things in common but really we are quite different.

What happens is that international turism to Spain is focused on beaches ( and not the best beaches really) and sun and Costa Brava a place when you will only see more tourists and a lot of them drunk. That’s of course is really far from the real Spain.

From making you understand me I gonna explain this: I’m from Galicia in the NorthWest of Spain. Here there are not bulls, not flamenco, not sun. My land is full of forests (68 % of the land), the rest of Spain make the joke here is always raining.
    Galicians share few things with the South of Spain. Our music, landscape and culture is quite similar to Irish.

Compare now the thoughts you have about how will be Andalusia culture with flamenco and etc with the culture the music the wheather and the landscape of Ireland. Is quite different, isnt it?

I mean that the picture of Spain that is sold abroad is the one of the party the flamenco and the bulls when that is only a small part of the puzzle that shapes Spain.

As Galicians are different compared to Andalusians also the rest of the parts of Spain are different between them.

If you really want to have a “real” picture of Spain you should avoid those turism agencys that will sell you always the same and try to visit the most part of Spain you could. However I know its quite difficult cause I havent had still the chance to visit a lot os provinces and this is my country haha.

59. Dame of Mercia
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Andie and Mrs D in Arizona, thanks for explaining about Spain. I think probably the less “touristy” parts of the Costa Brava are quite okay; it’s just that where I was there seemed to be more people from other countries than native-born Spanish people. There were a few Spanish people working in the hotels but there were some people who had come to try and “sponge” off the tourists and seemed to think English women were all very sexually immoral and those people could really be a nuisance. (It’s a few years since I was there – now with me being 60 plus the type who want to take advantage of women would leave me well alone I think). I’ve been to the Pyrenees (side nearest the Atlantic ocean) but that was in the French foothills of the Pyrenees, though it was not that far from the border. If my understanding is correct, the “Basque country” is partly in France and partly in Spain. I got off the coach from London at Bayonne and then caught a train to Lourdes and noticed that some of the street names in Bayonne were given in two languages – one was French and I took the other to be Basque. Andie you may think Spain is small but Spain is larger than the UK I think.

60. Andie
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:08 am | Permalink

Dame of Mercia,

Yeah, of course its larger than the UK. What I wanted to explain is that in Spain there’s a lot more than is told abroad and that there are remarkable differences between the north and the south and between some provinces (what I think comes from not only the climate, zone influence but the fact that in the begining Spain was defined by the union of some independent Kingdoms)

Moreover, for being Galician and not feeling identified at all with that South culture I usually get annoyed when I say I’m Spanish and people asociates with me the andalusians stereotypes.

I understand what you say about the touristic parts.
    I went on holiday to the Canary islands once and I came back really disappointed. Its a touristic region and the only thing I saw in the zone I visited were hotels more hotels and tourists (and beaches less prettier than galicians beaches, but ours have the problem whe havent the sun and that water is icy haha so they dont make the chance for tourism specially to people from the North who come to Spain looking for the sun)

Also a friend of mine who lived in La Rioja moved to another touristic region in the Mediterraneum zone: Alicante and told me that now all his neighbours are people from Uk or the north of europe who have bought houses there and come for holidays so sometimes he has the feeling he’s living abroad cause in the zone he lives his family is the only one from Spain.

I think that’s the cuestion if people want to have a tourims of beaches and sun (not beauty beaches sometimes but at least get suntanned) then go to touristic regions. If people want to know Spain then avoid them cause them will only define you a picture of this country that is not real and you only will see more hotels and tourists.

61. Pau Soriano
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Andie:
    Dame of Mercia,

First of all sorry for my poor English and likely mistakes.

Even though Spain is really small compared for example to United States, there are different climate zones andalso different cultures. Catalans, andalusians, basques, galicians… we share things in common but really we are quite different.

Compare now the thoughts you have about how will be Andalusia culture with flamenco and etc with the culture the musicthe wheather and the landscape of Ireland. Is quite different, isnt it?

I agree with all you said except that the Costa Brava is the least beautiful part of Spain. I guess you have never been there or you’d never say so…am I right?

If you only go to let’s say Lloret, well then of course, but in the Costa Brava you also have Cadaqués (one of the most beautiful mediterranean village you’ll find in Spain) Roses, Sant Pere pescador, L’Escala, Begur, Calella, Palamos, Calonge, Santa Cristina D’aro, Torroella de Montgri, Tossa de Mar, etc etc, all with beautiful Calas (beaches), as beautiful as any in the mediterranean spain …and also in the Costa Brava you have the Medes Islands, Girona, The Dali museum, Cap de Creus, Empuriabrava, the Pyrinees etc…so when you say costa brava it’s just “drunk people and tourists” you’re doing the same as the people that think spain is just “toros and flamenco” ;)

Dame of Mercia:

That is correct ;)

62. Andie
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:26 am | Permalink

yeah of course Spain its larger than Uk what I wanted to say its that it has a lot of different regions (maybe not only because of the climate zones but the fact that Spain was initially formed by the union of independent kingdoms)
    Also I dont feel identified at all with the South Culture because of being Galisian and it really pisses me off when I go abroad and tell Im spanish and quickly people asociates me with andalusians stereotypes.

I really understand what you say about the touristic regions.
    Once I went to the Canary islands and came back really disappointed because I only saw hotels and more tourists.
    A friend of mine lived in La Rioja and moved to Alicante, another touristic region, he told me that in his street his family is the only one from Spain. The rest of neighbours are people from the North of Europe or the Uk who have bought houses there and come on holidays so he sometimes has the feeling he’s living abroad and not in Spain.

The cuestion is that if you are looking for a tourism of beaches and sun (and not the best beaches because as I have seen to the moment Galisian beaches are so far the best, (maybe supporting excesively my land? haha), but we havent the sun and the water is icy so they dont make the chance for this kind of tourim)then go to touristic places, maybe you’ll Know only tourists, only see hotels and beaches of rocks but you’ll get suntanned. If you want to Know Spain then avoid this touristic places as if they were cursed.

63. Andie
    Posted July 16, 2014 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Pau Soriano,

Sorry I’ll take note the places you’ve told me to visit them. I really went once, and didnt like it, really i shouldnt have made that statement without knowing it well.
    I think it also depends on the person, I’m in love with my land and the green and all this shit but a friend of mine from Granada just hates Galicia, for her not seeing the sun with higher frecuency is just depressing.
    On the other hand I cant live in a place who hasnt green, that would be depressing for me. But I think I must continue visiting the rest of Spain and better with people of the zone I visit to have a real idea and not see the turistical complex (as happened to me in Canary), because if not I usually come back home talking bad of the place and its not fair to the place neither for the people who live there if I havent had the chance to visit the historical part of the picture myself a “real” image.

64. JTargs
    Posted July 17, 2014 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know why Sophie turner is in spain?

65. Roger König
    Posted July 19, 2014 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Pau Soriano: No is not lol

Edit: Osasuna is a basque word that means “Health”

Oops. Well, for once my knowledge coming from football has let me down! :D

I’m sorry.

66. SunspearRules
    Posted July 23, 2014 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Hi, everyone!!!
    I am really proud of the choosing of Osuna as setting for this terrific series. As I live in Osuna (nothing to do with Osasuna, a soccer team from Navarra, 1000kms away). I don´t want to discuss off-topics like tourism or politics. I´d just like to say that from my first reading on Dornish descriptions I envisaged some Osuna spots more than fit for some settings:
    like Canteras “Quarries” or the landscape viewed from it

some streets or palaces.

According to what I´ve read more, the bullring seems one of the main candidates to be used for the filming,

whose albero yellow ring together with its sandstone bricks (taken out from an old Roman fortress more than a century ago)would be an amazing set for the pit.

1. […] of a series of linked buildings, all built at separate times, than a single structure. According to winteriscoming.net, the show has received permission to dye the water in the Alcazar’s gardens dark blue for the […]